Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So what's the quick summary? I'm assuming that offices basically get to remain open if they feel like it.

Lockdown take 2 but schools are open as well as construction and manufacturing. Also no shielding but the extremely vulnerable should not go to work.

Chris Gayle hit 333 v Sri Lanka in 2010.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

minema
May 31, 2011
That graph of NHS capacity is scary. I feel like the worst fears in the first wave of hospitals being completely overwhelmed is actually going to happen this time and people won't care as much.

My manager has been working in the acute team at the hospital for 8 years and said that this Monday was the worst day she has ever known for capacity vs staffing. This week has been awful at work and I don't even know what will happen if new cases keep rising.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So what's the quick summary? I'm assuming that offices basically get to remain open if they feel like it.

Everyone stay at home, except for work and shopping.
Bars and restaurants to close, takeaways open only.
Send your kids to school still.
Get covid from your kids.
Hopefully by christmas it will be all gone so you can eat turkey one last time before the Brexit times.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sad Panda posted:

Lockdown take 2 but schools are open as well as construction and manufacturing. Also no shielding but the extremely vulnerable should not go to work.

Chris Gayle hit 333 v Sri Lanka in 2010.

And not a single mention of new furlough measures.

Can't believe they're keeping a straight face when they say it'll only be until December. Either nothing will improve but they'll arbitrarily throw everything open again anyway or it'll be until the end of the year.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

minema posted:

This week has been awful at work and I don't even know what will happen if new cases keep rising.

well you're extremely close to finding out

minema
May 31, 2011

stev posted:

And not a single mention of new furlough measures.

I think he said furlough is extended until December?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/mattchorley/status/1322620565367173122?s=21

lol, holy poo poo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

minema posted:

Oh, good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
boris really speed running worst ever PM isn't he

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

biglads posted:

nu-uh

Grand Theft Sheppey

Potential for comedy pileups on the new bridge or some sort of bridge lifting nonsense on the old one.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

minema posted:

Yes, he did. Was a very quick line saying it'll continue through November and then said until December. So I assume it finishes on Dec 2nd when lockdown 2 finishes.

minema
May 31, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

well you're extremely close to finding out

I work in Blackburn too so even closer than elsewhere. Earlier this week I was told I was covering D5 ward which had never actually existed before.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

All my colleagues got made redundant on Monday ahead of furlough ending on the 2nd I wonder if they can row that back now 🤔

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Sad Panda posted:

Yes, he did. Was a very quick line saying it'll continue through November and then said until December. So I assume it finishes on Dec 2nd when lockdown 2 finishes.

Yes. He said it will stop on December 2nd.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Any change to people living alone being able to join up with another household? My mother in law lives alone and we were in a bubble with her under previous rules.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don’t know how many of you are following me on Twitter - it’s @ learnincurve11 and I’ve got all the “how to get food to your house without leaving it” for poor people person information, feel free to DM on there or here. I will be updating information about when delivery slots are released on there, because you just know the middle classes are 12 hours away from breaking just in time again.

1. Morrison’s food boxes: Now country wide, all day delivery. 5 meals for 4 people can easily be split for single people because they have doubled up on the tins, actually do a few extra cheese sandwiches and soups. The British food box is the one I get for 3 of us now, not as good value but more variety and the Substitutions are cool. The afternoon tea is cracking value for money.

2. Christmas, although the Morrison’s box is good value it’s really only going to do one meal. Able and cole have a Christmas veg box, make your own cheesecake and large chicken that comes to £59 and it will easy do two meals. If you want to hold off a day, storehouses are £17 a head for a three course carvery on Boxing Day.

If you end up utterly hosed for food then call your local council helpline, not all of them (Sheffield do) have a dedicated help line and will run out a box of food for you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You can still bubble.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Party Boat posted:

Any change to people living alone being able to join up with another household? My mother in law lives alone and we were in a bubble with her under previous rules.

Yeah still allowed a single other household in a bubble

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
so essentially boris has been dragged into a room by scientists and shown how utterly hosed we are lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

unless you're a business or whatever you can still do whatever you like, theyr not gonna enforce anything unless you're having a loud house party

just lol if you havent already started ignoring all the advice and just assume you shouldnt go maskless indoors outside of your house for the next 5 years or however long it takes for the UK to get its act together.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF43Jp9JL2I

Welcome to the good page

:edit: just to clarify I just googled "boris 666" I don't watch those videos I swear

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Any bets on who this is?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

so essentially boris has been dragged into a room by scientists and shown how utterly hosed we are lol

Steve Baker, too:

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1322602468702855172?s=21

For the chair of the ERG to support this, that data must have been the stuff of nightmares.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Someone who absolutely doesn't care but feels it's important to appear they do. I think that cuts it down to a 1/3rd of the party

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

Fwiw, downing st wouwd pwefew thawt the month-wong new nationaw measuwes fow engwand, as wisted bewow, awe neithew cawwed “a wockdown” ow “tiew 4”. They see thewm as “tough new nationaw measuwes” with “exit bawck tuwu wegionaw tiews”. I thought you’d wawnt tuwu know
https://twitter.com/BBCBweaking/status/1322618285351931904?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/petefrasermusic/status/1322625232394473474?s=21

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

If that last line was true he'd not have suspended Corbyn & removed the whip. He'd not have purged any left voices from his cabinet.

Anyway, here's Peter Oborne, former Spectator Political Editor & writer for among others the Mail & Telegraph, with an extremely reasonable take

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1322463086180212736?s=20

I'm going to reply to this one as its the last one I saw, sorry to bring it up again but I keep making GBS threads and going, which isn't cool.

To explain my thinking, Keir is scared of headlines, any headline, it's why he is keeping his head down. He has looked at the graph that Swinson misunderstood and actually understood it. The more the electorate gets to know a politician the more the dislike them. This is also another thing he has in common with BlowJob, as blowie intrinsically understands this.

The only people in the party that are making any noise are The Left so that's why he is giving them the most grief. If you look at the handling of JC he just wanted the story out of the newspapers, and after a day it quickly became a 2nd row story on the major websites.

I admit I am very credulous, and I want to believe Keir is nothing more than milquetoast "soft lefty" instead of being Blair mk.2. The final proof will be how he handles the CAA complaints.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

notaspy posted:

I'm going to reply to this one as its the last one I saw, sorry to bring it up again but I keep making GBS threads and going, which isn't cool.

To explain my thinking, Keir is scared of headlines, any headline, it's why he is keeping his head down. He has looked at the graph that Swinson misunderstood and actually understood it. The more the electorate gets to know a politician the more the dislike them. This is also another thing he has in common with BlowJob, as blowie intrinsically understands this.

The only people in the party that are making any noise are The Left so that's why he is giving them the most grief. If you look at the handling of JC he just wanted the story out of the newspapers, and after a day it quickly became a 2nd row story on the major websites.

I admit I am very credulous, and I want to believe Keir is nothing more than milquetoast "soft lefty" instead of being Blair mk.2. The final proof will be how he handles the CAA complaints.

yeah, i also think that loving with the left doesnt "make waves", its just a boring function of the british state.
nobody with any wealth, power or influence will be upset so its very safe to do

e: he just wanted the AS stuff to be over, it just requires the left to shut up and accept humiliation
kier's job was quite literally to do this, he would go on telly and say "i stake my reputation on this, that cop did not stomp that mans head" and have to apologise when it turned out they did over the course of however many months or years it takes to work your way through the succession of lies that follows every act of police brutality in the UK. he had to do that over and over again, "okay he stomped the head but he did it to save the man from a bee" "okay there was no bee but the man was a criminal" "okay the man was a vicar but he did drugs" etc and he was happy to do it because that was his job as ablative armour and bagholder

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 31, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if he doesn't want headlines then he shouldn't loving suspend corbyn lol

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Jose posted:

Yeah I mean what the gently caress did he expect to happen lol

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Sooo I was meant to be going on the new Gov work support scheme on Monday having never been on furlough before, are they both working in tandem or am I not working next week?!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Sad Panda posted:

Is there any polling on how this used to be 5, 10, 20 years ago? It feels like it's always been said that the young are left and then the older you get the more right you move. I don't know if that's actually based on data or just a random belief/excuse for some old persons FYGM attitude.

You don't need polling you have election results. The age gaps always existed but they were *way* smaller until the EU ref fundamentally re-aligned politics in the UK. Combined with the lack of economic and social mobility for the younger generations it does seem like there's a demographic time bomb on our politics as the boomers die off.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1322639897530945543?s=19

Lol

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
honestly if that happened and there was some sort of federalization between it and Scotland it would be so much better than the current situation

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

There's a real radical tradition in the north of England and Liverpool still kinda has it but it's depressing how much of it has been lost in Tyneside and Manchester

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

i got made redundant yesterday LMFAO gently caress this government lol

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jose posted:

I think he knew headlines where coming so he wanted to control the narrative.

"I, sorry, the party have suspended Corbyn" instead of Jewish groups call for Corbyn to be suspended, why hasn't he been suspended yet, you said you had a zero tolerance policy in place etc. going on for days.

It also makes him look like a strong leader, but then he realised it would actually gently caress him hard if he claimed ownership. Which has now made him look weak, because he is weak.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I wonder if this a Cambridge Analytica style demotivation op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Rumda posted:

honestly if that happened and there was some sort of federalization between it and Scotland it would be so much better than the current situation

Yeah, splitting England into at least North, South and London would probably do some good if you did it in a way that was more than just symbolic.