Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
This halloween mode is the shittiest thing ever. I can't believe this is what we get after they screwed up and skipped last years event.

I watched streamers playing this and I'm not even going to bother loading it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
You have to pay credits to play. That is a real lovely mechanic.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Katamari Democracy posted:

That is pretty loving hilarious. I don't get how they always manage to ruin what should be fun events in one way or another.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Yeah, when I saw that I was "nope". What sort of rewards are there for it if anything of any use? I skimmed the info, and when I saw the credit costs I stopped.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Me playing a single halloowenn mode game: this seems fine. Really tough to beat the clock tho, probably won't be able to complete the whole thing for the top rewards.

Me realizing I can only play the halloween mode tanks once and then have to pay credits to play again:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

So, in the Halloween mode you can get killed when enemy tanks spawn in beneath you, and then have to wait 6 hours to play again. Ask me how I know this.

This mode is poo poo and a blatant credit drain.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

To add insult to injury, Ranked starts tomorrow. :shepicide:

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

VelociBacon posted:

I can't help but feel it's a little absurd that a player with 2,000 games is considered new to the game. If the average game length is 10 min that's around 335hrs of time invested in this game. That's about the time one might spend in three to four university courses in one semester and I actually think it's almost certainly more time than people in WW2 spent in training to operate these tanks in real life.

Not saying that a player with 4k games played is going to be a better player most of the time than a player with 2k games but surely 2k games can't be considered a novice amount right?

That's such a novice way of thinking. Have you ever played an instrument or sport? The difference between someone who has practiced 300 hours and 1000 hours is huge.
The university example is somewhat appropriate. The first 4 years is nothing compared to what you learn once you start a specialization.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2Jets posted:

That's such a novice way of thinking. Have you ever played an instrument or sport? The difference between someone who has practiced 300 hours and 1000 hours is huge.
The university example is somewhat appropriate. The first 4 years is nothing compared to what you learn once you start a specialization.

I appreciate the point you're making but I think we're looking at a relative vs absolute kinda thing. Of course someone with 1k hours into something is going to be probably 25-30% better at that thing than someone with 350 hours. The person with 350 hours is probably going to be 50% better than someone with 100 hours, who is going to be 300-500% better than someone with less than 50 hours. WoT absolutely has depth (knowing different tanks, your own tank, where to shoot, where to be on different maps, how to navigate to a win in different situations) that allows for people to play for a long time. I'm just saying that 350 hours into a video game is going to make you sorta intermediate level at least in an absolute scale. Relative to the person with more than twice those hours, of course they will be significantly less skilled. I think you'd need to bellcurve the player base to really make a strong statement with evidence about how this all lines up.

I play a couple instruments at a novice level and do a single sport at an expert level, am now in a specialization after university, and like a lot of goons am hugely into competitive games so I do appreciate the point. Just a difference of scale I think.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The problem is that given the experience distribution across the player base, 2k battles is always going to be seen as "inexperienced" relative to most of the players you run into these days.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vando posted:

The problem is that given the experience distribution across the player base, 2k battles is always going to be seen as "inexperienced" relative to most of the players you run into these days.

Have they ever published the experience distribution?

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip

VelociBacon posted:

Have they ever published the experience distribution?

What do you mean? Average battles per account? I dont think so.

I found a list of the top 50 accounts by battles played on noobmeter. The wn8 and Winrate of those accounts strongly disagree with the idea of more experience = better player.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

2Jets posted:

I found a list of the top 50 accounts by battles played on noobmeter. The wn8 and Winrate of those accounts strongly disagree with the idea of more experience = better player.

I'd imagine this would be heavily distorted by bots but also while it's possible to be experienced and really bad, it's much harder to be inexperienced and really good, just because of the number of things that do need to be learned by practice.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

2Jets posted:

The wn8 and Winrate of those accounts strongly disagree with the idea of more experience = better player.

I’m sure lots of players like the game but don’t really bother learning specific tanks’ strengths and weaknesses, optimal map strategies and so on.

I mean, I can’t be the only one :v:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Snowy posted:

I’m sure lots of players like the game but don’t really bother learning specific tanks’ strengths and weaknesses, optimal map strategies and so on.

I mean, I can’t be the only one :v:

Aw man learning the weak spots on tanks is the best part.

I enjoy this game with good company. I never liked playing by myself unless I was depressed or upset and didn't want to talk to anyone. But 90% of the time when playing this game with friends / good company its a whole new ballgame for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Aw man learning the weak spots on tanks is the best part.

I’m sort of kidding, I learned some of that stuff when I was first playing but now there’s so many drat tanks I don’t know how much I’ll realistically retain. I’m going to need to make a cheat sheet or something.

For now I’m just watching YouTube videos so maybe I can learn a little strategy and patience.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Speaking of new tanks. Have yall checked out that Concept 1B reward Tier 9 American Heavy tank yet? It looks awesome. The only problem is that you have to play Ranked tier 10 battles to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v57GCtHBpwI

:smith:

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Easy to pull in the ace tanker when you`re the only light tank on the team on Prohkorovka

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

MariusLecter posted:

Me playing a single halloowenn mode game: this seems fine. Really tough to beat the clock tho, probably won't be able to complete the whole thing for the top rewards.

Me realizing I can only play the halloween mode tanks once and then have to pay credits to play again:

That's insane. The console event is f2p and has 300% crew training and any nations crew can go in any tank - I wonder why this massive difference?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Flayer posted:

That's insane. The console event is f2p and has 300% crew training and any nations crew can go in any tank - I wonder why this massive difference?

:homebrew:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Played a couple of two star games for the event yesterday and its fun if you have a full platoon of five people. And if you play a couple of random battles a day you can get some boosters to keep playing in the event. I take back what I said about spending credits, you can easily get away with about 7-10 games a day if you do randoms and complete missions.

Just do not spend 125k credits giving boosters to your commanders in the event. That is a waste of credits, and if you lose the battle then you will be hating yourself once its over.

Earning the commanders with three skills alone is good. I don't know how I feel about the skins as a reward for the event though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flayer posted:

They still care about trying to get people to play the game on consoles and mobile devices. WG was exceptionally generous with the NA server during the first few years, because NA was meant to be their "whale" server. That's hugely tapered off, but consoles are always open season.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They still care about trying to get people to play the game on consoles and mobile devices. WG was exceptionally generous with the NA server during the first few years, because NA was meant to be their "whale" server. That's hugely tapered off, but consoles are always open season.

They did have that permanent discount on the NA server that is still generous. But its mainly for already available premium tanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You have to imagine that WG adds tank lines based on market research about disposable income and conversion rates for players on tanks of their own nation. With the wealth that exists in some demographics in China I think they basically had no choice but to add a Chinese tank line.

It would be so amazing to actually see the breakdowns of how much people are spending on average on tanks from different nations, or what % of people in different regions pay for premium, that kind of thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd imagine the EU servers are now the most profitable, while the RU servers are the most populated. China's just a straight up affluenza/meritocracy experiment.

Losing the East and West servers as well was WGNA closing a bunch of offices was a big clue that we weren't the favorite anymore.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
This Halloween mode is not bad once you get to the 2nd difficulty. The crayon chewers who infest the easiest difficulty usually don't bother with it so you get people who generally try to stick together and actually try to win. Once the tanks get leveled up the coins start rolling in pretty quick as well.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Ah so you're saying it's a horrible experience for little reward unless you spend loads of extra time on it at which point it actually becomes lucrative?

Hmm that doesn't sound like something WG would do.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Two star difficulty what my group decided to do is have one heavy and a medium aggro one spot and have them chase us as we meet up with the other three to gather purple power faster. I do not recommend splitting up with pubbies though.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Ladies and Gentlemen. I got it.

So far I am terrible at this tank but it is absolutely amazing bouncing an easy 6k+ damage in every game in this thing. I got a Mastery 3 class so far with 4 games so far. But man is the accuracy on this tank a real letdown.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

705A owns full of magic russian bullshit. I was on HT-15-4 for a long time, bought that tank and had it done in like the fifth game.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Its quite easy to get the crew from the Mirny 13 event once you get one of the tanks to 9 coins, at which point every time you rank up, you get 9 coins, so 3 rank up is enough for every skin and crew member. Playing on the hardest difficulty might be weeding out the more rubbish players, though some times it seems not.

Disapointing that the skin can not be combined with any other to make it look less shite.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Once again WG delivers a mode that's great on paper but in practice is nothing more than flicking the turbo switch for being demoralised.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

BadLlama posted:

705A owns full of magic russian bullshit. I was on HT-15-4 for a long time, bought that tank and had it done in like the fifth game.

HAH! I JUST had this completed last night thanks to the 705A. drat I love this tank. Maybe tonight I can record with some friends of mine and show it off. Although I am sure some of you guys already know how its played. I just really really love this tank.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

HAH! I JUST had this completed last night thanks to the 705A. drat I love this tank. Maybe tonight I can record with some friends of mine and show it off. Although I am sure some of you guys already know how its played. I just really really love this tank.

drat it! Now I want to 705a.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Started playing again and realising it's a whole new game. I got a bit sad TBH.

Then I saw a little tier 5 French SPG and the world is again sunshine and rainbows. Thank you luffawuffa.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Posting to see how many years Ive been clean

e: its 4 :toot:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I went over five years. Somehow I made the account in October 2010 which still seems impossibly long ago.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Is it possible to combine 3d skins with regular skins, to make them look less poo poo, or are they poo poo forever?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Rincewinds posted:

Is it possible to combine 3d skins with regular skins, to make them look less poo poo, or are they poo poo forever?

Look to your heart, you know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
“If you want a vision of the future WoT, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.”