Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh god, Nightmare. This was the part of the game where I got stuck for quite a while on my first playthrough, I just couldn't wrap my head around how to deal with it.

I was also pretty worried about you because in many ways it's "use the Space Jump, the boss fight", but you're doing well enough I'm confident you'll get there in a few more tries. I don't know what the best strategies are, but I usually ended up doing laps around it with the space jump until it pauses, then grab the ladder and pump its face full of missiles until it starts moving again.

I do like this fight and think it's one of the more interesting ones in the game, but it can be quite frustrating. It's huge so dodging can get tricky, and it does a lot of collision damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like the stakes progression from "here's where I think Serris is, it's a valuable specimen but you can kill it if necessary" to "Nightmare is going to destroy this entire station and I don't know where it is, glhf"

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I like the stakes progression from "here's where I think Serris is, it's a valuable specimen but you can kill it if necessary" to "Nightmare is going to destroy this entire station and I don't know where it is, glhf"

The amusing thought about this is the thought that the x have invaded everything on the station and there are still worse things. And the federation thinks that the station is still savable. Any decent x-com commander would have done the "nuke it from orbit" option or the more apt "explode the star" to stop them from escaping.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nightmare is a bioweapon made to be hard to find while it fucks poo poo up so that tracks.

Also "just follow the destruction" works just fine for breadcrumbs rather than letting Adam lead you by the hand.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Nat has a truly amazing ability to find the hardest possible way to do something and refuse to try any other possibilities until he gets it to work.

I also notice that he's much, much better at the space jump when he's distracted by something else. I seem to recall it being the same in Super Metroid.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 31, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This was probably already answered somewhere before in the thread, or it's one of those things that was implied and I missed, but is this VLP done already and all the footage simply has yet to be aired? Since you mentioned real life getting in the way, I'm curious if the gameplay pointers in the comments are still helping you as you go along. Especially now that we're seeing up against what most people consider to be the hardest boss in the game.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I've been waiting for Nightmare since Nat's inability to aim at a 45% angle was discovered.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shitenshi posted:

This was probably already answered somewhere before in the thread, or it's one of those things that was implied and I missed, but is this VLP done already and all the footage simply has yet to be aired? Since you mentioned real life getting in the way, I'm curious if the gameplay pointers in the comments are still helping you as you go along. Especially now that we're seeing up against what most people consider to be the hardest boss in the game.

It wasn't originally, but then the UK instituted a lockdown. Now it is all prerecorded, by necessity.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bremen posted:

Nat has a truly amazing ability to find the hardest possible way to do something and refuse to try any other possibilities until he gets it to work.

That sequence where he hit consecutive space jumps to carry a shinespark into an adjacent room, only to lose it by bumping into an enemy, was art.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Quackles posted:

It wasn't originally, but then the UK instituted a lockdown. Now it is all prerecorded, by necessity.

Yeah I heard the news before and figured it was, just wasn't sure if there was some unmentioned technicality or detail I missed that implied it wasn't pre-recorded and this was still live.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That is a wonderful "...he's behind me isn't he" image you caught for the post.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

It's actually kind of interesting since Nightmare has been flying around ARC ever since we entered the sector for the first time. It's what that shadow in background was.

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
Hey, love your vids, been watching for a long time, and I love Metroid. I think Super might actually have been the first video game I ever played.

I wanted to say this back in Super Metroid, and honestly it might be too late here depending on how far you've already recorded (and you've also probably intuited most of this by now) but I really wanted to mention some basic movement mechanics that are simple to overlook and can be frustrating in the hopes that it'd make Metroid games more fun for you.

If you jump from the ground without holding left/right from a dead stop, you'll do a straight jump.

If you jump from the ground while holding left/right, you'll do a somersault.

With either you can change your trajectory in mid-air, and, unlike in Super, in Fusion you can initiate a somersault during a straight jump by pressing the jump button again while airborne.

Firing while somersaulting will obviously end the somersault, but you can resume without touching the ground by pressing jump again.

And for all jumps how long you hold the button determines the height you'll reach (I know you're aware of this). I think in the case of that plant boss folks get trapped in the munchy flowers because they don't see that they're just sitting in water which is what causes you to be stuck and your jumps appear to do nothing. So mashing jump was really just doing lots of tiny hops with a low apex, but it's hard to see cuz of the drat flower (coincidentally, somersaulting makes escaping water and that sandpit you probably blocked from your memory way back in Maridia much, much easier because Samus pulls her feet up a bit).

When it comes to the shinespark, you can retain it by somersaulting and initiate it mid-air! It's basically a straight jump, then a direction input during the startup. I forget if you can go diagonally in Fusion, but you could in Super using the shoulder buttons! Try shinesparking into a ramp sometime.

This all comes together with the Space Jump. Like in Prime, it's basically a double jump. Except with the two caveats: you must have reached the peak of your previous jump and started your descent (regardless of how high that jump went), and you must be somersaulting. So to initiate it from a straight jump, just double-tap jump real quick (and hold the second press unless you just wanna hover horizontally), and after firing mid air double tap jump again to keep flying.

As folks have commented it's much easier to handle outside of Super because there's no input window for another jump that you can miss, but I honestly didn't remember that you couldn't wall jump after obtaining it in Fusion. That's crazy!

Another couple of random nifty things I wanted to mention which you've occasionally done, if you somersault while holding a charge, you'll damage enemies you collide with and if they are defeated by this you won't take any damage from them (this was also true in Super), you can fire over a ledge while hanging using a charge shot (kinda past the point of this being useful... but, see the rest of the post), and the charge beam has a little burst-claw thing right at the barrel of Samus' cannon which deals like double damage. Seriously, now that you have plasma, charge beam does a ton of damage if you hit enemies with all 3 shots and that point-blank blast, and the you can swap into missles to capitalize on your opening.

tl;dr, thanks for playing for our entertainment. I hope you have as much or more fun playing as I do watching.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yI53jS7WHI

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

^^^^that's great.

Nightmare was also the bane of my existence as a kid. Even on the replay I died to it, it hits so hard there's not a lot of room to mess up and lots of opportunities to do so.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Now that you've reached Nightmare, I was thinking of this lately, especially with the "Yakuza, Nettori and Nightmare trifecta"

https://www.metroid2002.com/fusion/technical_demonstration_sesshoumaru.php

Back when Bob was thought unskippable. So even if you're not new to the game, these bosses are hell. Sadly never finished, but everything after Nightmare is a victory lap honestly.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

:allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Is this Loss?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Quackles posted:

Is this Loss?

It can't be.
It's funny.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

This is truly a thing of beauty.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

7/10, needs Morning Mood for more irony

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I loving frigging frig on a frigging frig suck at this game.

Language! :colbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I swear to god I briefly noticed update 15 on YouTube yesterday but was saving it for today and now it's gone. :negative:

I needs to watch your continued struggle against the superboss: Space Jump. ;)

I'm jonesing bad

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's this roughly 1-minute failure reel compilation Nat uploaded yestaerday, that's what you might be thinking of, but he hasn't put up an actual episode 15 yet to my knowledge.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
No, it was an actual full length update 15. It's gone now, though. :(

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Might've been Nat forgot to set it to private when he uploaded it and then later set the schedule properly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's unlisted at the moment. something something patreon early access.

A bug can happen if I link to an unlisted video from a public video on an end screen. In that YouTube will let people access the unlisted video from the end screen. It might result in YouTube recommending the video in feeds as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Now that you've beaten Nightmare I'd like to point out that the plasma beam goes through enemies, which I believe includes his arms shielding the gravity generator.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

Now that you've beaten Nightmare I'd like to point out that the plasma beam goes through enemies, which I believe includes his arms shielding the gravity generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMtMJVZ2PcM&t=1119s

If you look at this point, the arms seem to block a charged plasma beam here!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

goes through vulnerable parts of enemies. If the enemy has armor it blocks it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Well shoot, you're right. Sorry.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So apparently, the only reason you kept losing against Nightmare was because it kept giving you terrible patterns. Once it gave you a good pattern, you killed it really fast.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I can't get over your solution to "the boss shut off missiles" being tanking the hits and using them as a melee weapon. I didn't even know you could do that. But I can't deny it worked.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Some Goon posted:

I can't get over your solution to "the boss shut off missiles" being tanking the hits and using them as a melee weapon. I didn't even know you could do that. But I can't deny it worked.

I'm putting out a fanart request of Samus beating Nightmare to death with a super missile.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Quick and dirty:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

Quick and dirty:

It looks like Samus is helping Nightmare taxi for a landing!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Some Goon posted:

You can actually burn him down very quickly in phase 1; when he spawns, wait for their to be a gap between his arm and the floor, roll under him in morphball, uncurl, point up at the gravity dongle and spam that mf missile button when he stops blinking. You can burn him down before he has a chance to do the gravity thing.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I can't believe you beat Nightmare's gravity phase by just...running up and jamming missiles into him. You're supposed to use the charged plasma beam (which at this point is more damage than ice missiles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I can't believe you beat Nightmare's gravity phase by just...running up and jamming missiles into him. You're supposed to use the charged plasma beam (which at this point is more damage than ice missiles)

The unwillingness to use charged shots drives me crazy