Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

insider posted:

RoW Spoilers:

Unrelated but in this week's chapter we finally got confirmation that the Skybreakers are warring against Dalinar and Co. I also thought it was interesting the Dustbringers are on the verge of revolt. I don't understand why they would be though?

It mostly came up in the last one, but whenever they showed the Diagram's Dustbringer it was clear her spren didn't like most of the humans. They haven't forgiven the humans for their previous actions that killed all their friends, and I got the impression that Odium had gotten to them to some degree. They also had some issues in the previous times as well, based on all the stuff from that crystal archives. There's probably more to it that we'll see in the next book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

didn't we see kelek in the first prologue, dude's characterization is the least spoilery thing in the whole series

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

didn't we see kelek in the first prologue, dude's characterization is the least spoilery thing in the whole series

yeah, he was explicitly in the first prologue, is probably one of the guys with gavilar that night, and beyond that it's all ????

seaborgium posted:

It mostly came up in the last one, but whenever they showed the Diagram's Dustbringer it was clear her spren didn't like most of the humans. They haven't forgiven the humans for their previous actions that killed all their friends, and I got the impression that Odium had gotten to them to some degree. They also had some issues in the previous times as well, based on all the stuff from that crystal archives. There's probably more to it that we'll see in the next book.

there's a bunch in celebrant too, the ashspren seem to be pretty common and often relatively neutral (at least compared to highspren), i bet the order is heavily divided right now

i'm really excited for "mission to shadesmar" this book, there's so much we don't know about spren still

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 30, 2020

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

eke out posted:

i think the conceit of these is that they're a very stylized in-universe depiction? i assume that they're "real" in the way White Baptist Jesus is real lol -- real religious iconography with well known cultural significance, but not necessarily true and correct depictions of the actual person

That works for all of them except Nale, whose image depicts him a) much less ornately garbed and armed than the others, and b) pretty much exactly like we've seen him described in the flesh.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Anshu posted:

That works for all of them except Nale, whose image depicts him a) much less ornately garbed and armed than the others, and b) pretty much exactly like we've seen him described in the flesh.

yeah maybe the analogy doesn't quite work and they're mostly real

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
No glove on Chana's safehand? There should be some NWS tags on that! :v:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Hi! I’m listening to the Mistborn audiobook and am enjoying it a lot!! I’ve never experienced any Sanderson, but this book is pretty loving good so far and I’m only a few chapters in.

I wish I wouldn’t have seen the spoiler that Kelsier dies at some point while looking up the book originally.

That's good to hear first trilogy Mistborn these days is considered some of his weaker writing so if you enjoy this you have a very long and entertaining road ahead of you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

insider posted:

RoW Spoilers:

Kelek is in the RoW prologue, but this depiction is not how I pictured him as he seemed very cowardly in the prologue and he looks like a boss here

Do you remember Jezrien's official art? The one where he really looks like the Herald of Kings? Contrast that with the beggar Moash kills in Kholinar, and it's clear that the artwork is of the heralds in their prime, not how they currently are.

Which would also explain why Nale looks like we can envision him in the current timeline, since his decline seems to be mostly on the mental side while still being mostly functional, since he had a job to do for the last few centuries.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Saw 23 new posts... thought dawnshard was out ;(

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

seaborgium posted:

It's unusual too, because what has been revealed about the Dustbringers in the online order personality quiz seems to state that their big focus is on self-control and rigid management of their destructive powers.

quote:

Dustbringer oaths were themed toward responsibility. They were led to understand that the powers they used needed to be properly channeled, much as their own desires and wills needed proper form and shape. As a Dustbringer moved through the oaths, they were taught greater powers of destruction—and are one of the only orders where their abilities weren’t all available at the beginning, but instead were delivered slowly, as they made the proper oaths. Each oath led to a greater understanding of power, the nature of holding it, and the associated responsibility.
They attract anyone who likes to take things apart, who likes to know how things work. They also attract those who are a little foolhardy at times—brave soldiers who see themselves as containing and controlling terrible destruction so it won’t get out of hand and hurt innocents.

The last line makes them sound like a chunibyo character in an anime. Malata certainly didn't match the self-control stereotype but I was initially wondering if she was just a strange aberration.

I'm guessing its a problem of hierarchy? Certain orders previously had clear chains of command, where the Radiants of the highest oaths likely played a large role in choosing the new recruits and guiding their development. Post recreance though, the old systems of perpetuating culture and norms in the orders are gone. It's all angsty apprentices running around with no masters. I'm guessing its a similar deal with the Honorspren.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Strumpy posted:

Saw 23 new posts... thought dawnshard was out ;(

Nah a few days still

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

I'm guessing its a problem of hierarchy? Certain orders previously had clear chains of command, where the Radiants of the highest oaths likely played a large role in choosing the new recruits and guiding their development. Post recreance though, the old systems of perpetuating culture and norms in the orders are gone. It's all angsty apprentices running around with no masters. I'm guessing its a similar deal with the Honorspren.

I think this is a really good guess, especially with Malata's remarks like "Spark is game for whatever it takes to get vengeance. And what lets her break stuff.”

Probably split between people like this who were chosen for their interest in destruction by the get-revenge-and-break-things faction of ashspren, versus those that fit along the old lines of the order and are about control and care.

Like if the Skybreakers had no existing hierarchy and instead were just a bunch of relative newbies who all believe they are the law.

eke out fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 30, 2020

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Torrannor posted:

Do you remember Jezrien's official art? The one where he really looks like the Herald of Kings? Contrast that with the beggar Moash kills in Kholinar, and it's clear that the artwork is of the heralds in their prime, not how they currently are.

Which would also explain why Nale looks like we can envision him in the current timeline, since his decline seems to be mostly on the mental side while still being mostly functional, since he had a job to do for the last few centuries.

Yea good point - almost forgot we had already gotten a bunch of official art for the other Heralds. So I guess we are only missing official art for Battar now?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

insider posted:

Yea good point - almost forgot we had already gotten a bunch of official art for the other Heralds. So I guess we are only missing official art for Battar now?

Yep. The recent stream mentioned that Taln's portrait will be delayed to the 5th book. So the 4th book will have Nale, Pali, Kelek and Chana inside the covers.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Think we will get the new generation of Radiants as the portraits for the back half?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

smertrioslol posted:

Think we will get the new generation of Radiants as the portraits for the back half?

or the new heralds who take over the oathpact, yeah

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

or the new heralds who take over the oathpact, yeah

I hadn't thought of that possibility, but it immediately makes sense. Perhaps Dalinar can reforge the Oathpact? This could give them much needed time, which would explain the time skip between SA 5 and SA 6.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I hadn't thought of that possibility, but it immediately makes sense. Perhaps Dalinar can reforge the Oathpact? This could give them much needed time, which would explain the time skip between SA 5 and SA 6.

There’s been hints of this in the preview chapters. Well, less hinting and more outright musings from main characters in the latest one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The first oathpact didn't work as intended, it was more of a hail mary by honor it seems. Why try that again if you could try something with less eternal suffering.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is totally random but i saw this

quote:

I have written Rhythm of War in such a way that, if you haven't read this, you will not really be confused. There will be a few things where you're like, "Oh, that's probably what that's referencing." And if you read this after, it's not going to ruin either story.

I did something very specific with the Rysn interlude in Rhythm of War that allows us to preserve most of what happened in Dawnshard, so far, so that you will not have it spoiled when you get to that interlude. I've done something very different for that interlude, let's just say. And I did that because I hadn't written Dawnshard yet, when I wrote the Rysn interlude. In fact, it's the last thing I wrote for the book, was that interlude. And let's just say that interlude is from a different viewpoint. We'll just say that.

this extremely specific phrasing about how the Rysn interlude is from a very different viewpoint in a way he can't say? that's gotta be the larkin's perspective, right

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

eke out posted:

this is totally random but i saw this

this extremely specific phrasing about how the Rysn interlude is from a very different viewpoint in a way he can't say? that's gotta be the larkin's perspective, right

That would be my guess. Are they sentient? Or maybe spren like?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

smertrioslol posted:

That would be my guess. Are they sentient? Or maybe spren like?

i'm just assuming cosmere rules apply and eating stormlight/voidlight takes them to sapience over time, since enough investiture = sapience seems like a pretty common thing across a lot of worlds

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 1, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Not reading and spoilers or anything but just wanted to say that y’all weren’t kidding about the first Mistborn novel feeling like a heist film. I just met the crew.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm pretty sure Sanderson himself describes it as a heist story

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I feel like the audiobook only helps heighten the feeling of it being a heist film as well. The narrator does well giving each prominent character a different accent so it feels like a ragtag group of diverse individuals. Despite it being a fantasy novel, it almost feels very sleek and... modern?

It’s very good and I’m only at about 5 of 25 hours in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finished part one of the book. Really enjoying it. Was worried that Kelsier’s cavalier puckish rogue attitude as going to grate on me. It comes close at times but there’s enough sincerity there that I don’t mind it.

I hope that we get to a point where every scene isn’t just *stuff happens* and “Vin reacts with distrustful suspicion.” That’s getting tiresome.

mewse
May 2, 2006

One weird thing about Mistborn is that the first one is sort of a self-contained heist story but then 2 and 3 have quite a different tone, and I forget which one a lot of people hated -- maybe the second one?

But that original trilogy does set up the universe for the wax&wayne era 2 books which are much more polished and solidly entertaining.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

One weird thing about Mistborn is that the first one is sort of a self-contained heist story but then 2 and 3 have quite a different tone, and I forget which one a lot of people hated -- maybe the second one?

But that original trilogy does set up the universe for the wax&wayne era 2 books which are much more polished and solidly entertaining.

yeah second one is a bit of a soggy middle, since the first one is standalone but the second one is mostly building up for book 3

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tunicate posted:

yeah second one is a bit of a soggy middle, since the first one is standalone but the second one is mostly building up for book 3

Iirc, the second one was hated more because of not having the third one immediately available to read by some posters. I know I blew through all three in short order and while the second is the weakest I still thoroughly enjoyed them all.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
And here I thought people hated the second one because of the love triangle. The pacing also slows down a lot more just because of the nature of the plot. Personally I enjoyed seeing Elend come into his own.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Leng posted:

And here I thought people hated the second one because of the love triangle. The pacing also slows down a lot more just because of the nature of the plot. Personally I enjoyed seeing Elend come into his own.

I mean yeah that part was a bit ham handed but I guess it didn’t really bother me much.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've got less than 40 pages left of my first reread of WoA and I'm actually fully enjoying it.

Discovering duralumin all over again is just so loving cool

I'm ~almost~ bummed I won't be able to jump straight into HoA because we should have Dawnshard real drat soon and then Rhythm of War slightly not as soon but holy holy crap it just hit me that it's officially out THIS MONTH :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

smertrioslol posted:

Iirc, the second one was hated more because of not having the third one immediately available to read by some posters. I know I blew through all three in short order and while the second is the weakest I still thoroughly enjoyed them all.

I read through all 3 a few years back and book 2 was definitely weak compared to the first and third.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Does anyone want the Bridge Four poster from the Kickstarter? I don't really need mine, and would rather it goto some that wants it instead of sitting in a closet.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Sab669 posted:

holy holy crap it just hit me that it's officially out THIS MONTH :toot:

Yea it kind of just hit me too. I'm so loving ready.

Also this thing is real cool: https://roshar.17thshard.com/#/en-US

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm definitely ready for The Final Empire to pick up. Ever since Vin and Kelsier linked up, it's been... a bit slow. Not bad, by any means, but her spending time with the crew and stuff has started to make things feel so far removed from the fear and horrors of the first few chapters. I mean, the book starts out with Lord Tresling's plantation and you get to see this poo poo slave world where lives are meaningless. Then with Camon there's just brutality and the constant fear of inquisitors. Then Kelsier comes on the scene and while Vin is distrustful, things have been far too chill. It's been like 6 chapters with no tension.

Currently - my main fears are possible events that would cause character regression for Vin. I worry that 1 - someone on the team will betray them, causing Vin to become more distrustful again or 2 - Reen will reappear and cause regression for Vin.

Any type of character regression to her being more paranoid around people again would just be boring because we know she'll get over it win in the end. I just really hate drawn out character regression.

I'm still really really enjoying the book. I've listened to 7.5 hours with 17 hours remaining. I'm just excited for things to pop off again.

ALSO - I really like how alloymancy is explained. In a way, it feels kind of video-gamey and I mean that as a compliment. It's just concrete and easy to understand.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

gninjagnome posted:

Does anyone want the Bridge Four poster from the Kickstarter? I don't really need mine, and would rather it goto some that wants it instead of sitting in a closet.

I'd love it, I got some free space on my wall.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Mordiceius posted:

ALSO - I really like how alloymancy is explained. In a way, it feels kind of video-gamey and I mean that as a compliment. It's just concrete and easy to understand.

This is definitely the series for you then.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

sanderson definitely gets better at all of these things too, mistborn is his first shot at a Big Fantasy Series and while i think it's very fun overall, there's a lot of improvement in his more recent stuff (at characterization, at way more diverse perspectives, at not being so video-gamey to a fault, etc)

Evil Fluffy posted:

I read through all 3 a few years back and book 2 was definitely weak compared to the first and third.

also just reread and while there's a lot of cool stuff, especially in the back third of that book, the middle does seriously drag

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Artonos posted:

This is definitely the series for you then.

It's the author for them.

Sanderson's works have meticulously defined magic systems and if something seems like it's breaking the rules laid out, just wait. Eventually you'll get to a point in the narrative where all is explained and you'll go "Oh, that wasn't bullshit deus ex machine due to sloppy magic rules. I was just lacking information"