Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Kota Ibushi's Death Stare is the most terrifying sight in wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Benne posted:

Kota Ibushi's Death Stare is the most terrifying sight in wrestling

For me it's Go Shiozaki. There's a picture I remember seeing from years back when he still had the black hair, blood running down his forehead as he stared right through someone promising murder. He's only gotten better with time, he has some of the most emotive eyes i've seen. I was so shook when Kenoh hit the buzzsaw kick on him and he was just laying there with glassy eyes, like he'd just gone somewhere else.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SG Bamboo posted:

For me it's Go Shiozaki. There's a picture I remember seeing from years back when he still had the black hair, blood running down his forehead as he stared right through someone promising murder. He's only gotten better with time, he has some of the most emotive eyes i've seen. I was so shook when Kenoh hit the buzzsaw kick on him and he was just laying there with glassy eyes, like he'd just gone somewhere else.

Similar bit with Suzuki where hes just lost the natch, is flat on his back unconscious and still grinning like a madlad

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My first thought was the Undertaker/Triple H match where Shawn Michaels and Trips hit Taker with a combo Pedigree/Superkick, Taker kicks out at two, and Shawn flips out with this amazing "Dear god what the gently caress" look

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sorry to barge in with a derail, but which one of you vandalised Orange Cassidy's Wikipedia entry?

Because while true, I don't think John Cena ever said that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
He said that you son of a bitch.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

BrigadierSensible posted:

Del Rio, (although a scummy bastard out of the ring), had really REALLY good facial expressions. Whether they were the mentioned smug heel smile, or his "oh poo poo, I poked the bear and am now about to get my arse kicked" chicken poo poo heel faces.

Who are others that had good facial expressions in the ring. (Not counting "peoples Eyebrow" facial catchphrase-style stuff)

Maki Itoh has some really good ones, especially in the bigger matches.

Punk was also great at it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SG Bamboo posted:

Sorry to barge in with a derail, but which one of you vandalised Orange Cassidy's Wikipedia entry?

Because while true, I don't think John Cena ever said that.

i dunno i kinda go totally unfiltered during GDTs

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Nystral posted:

What happened to Mr Touchdown. He got the title win, got hurt, then stopped working for Chikara well before the company imploded. Did he and Quack have a falling out.

Did anyone take their Chikara gimmicks elsewhere?

Does Kaiju Bug Batel still happen?

HTW (High Tension Wrestling) had a show this week with BLANK, Travis Huckabee, Amasis, Callux, Boomer Hatfield, Cajun Crawdad, Green Ant, Hermit Crab, Molly McCoy and Thief Ant.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/YTq5vmO.mp4

Anyone know who this is?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Pat Patterson of the nightmare realm?

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat man, good shout. Thanks.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

BrigadierSensible posted:

Del Rio, (although a scummy bastard out of the ring), had really REALLY good facial expressions. Whether they were the mentioned smug heel smile, or his "oh poo poo, I poked the bear and am now about to get my arse kicked" chicken poo poo heel faces.

Who are others that had good facial expressions in the ring. (Not counting "peoples Eyebrow" facial catchphrase-style stuff)

I always loved Ken Shamrock when he snapped. But I don't really remember other expressions he did outside of that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the "New Generation Era" is generally viewed as a flop, right? Diesel in '95 is one of if not the lowest drawing WWF Champions, I think they lost more money in '96 than any other point, stuff like that.

Of course they had plenty of good workers, some of the best ever. But Michaels and Hart weren't really created " by the NG era, were they?

My point is, is it fair to call Goldust one of the greatest, most memorable creation of the NG Era in terms of a worker or character? He was never a main eventer but he's still incredibly iconic and he debuted as Goldust in '95.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

So the "New Generation Era" is generally viewed as a flop, right? Diesel in '95 is one of if not the lowest drawing WWF Champions, I think they lost more money in '96 than any other point, stuff like that.

Of course they had plenty of good workers, some of the best ever. But Michaels and Hart weren't really created " by the NG era, were they?

My point is, is it fair to call Goldust one of the greatest, most memorable creation of the NG Era in terms of a worker or character? He was never a main eventer but he's still incredibly iconic and he debuted as Goldust in '95.

The character was really loving gross and he sucked as a worker during that period so I don't think so. If you are going to say that Hart and Michaels weren't created by that era then Stone Cold Steve Austin is the greatest character created by the NG era anyway.

Hart was elevated at the tail end of the Hulkamania era but HBK became a main eventer in it and his appeal was emblematic of that era. McMahon was obsessed with pushing him in that era too. The company was not successful, but HBK did have segments he was very popular with and could sell tickets. Not enough to overcome the company's inability to connect with the overall public, but he was genuinely popular.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dustin Rhodes arguably didn't become a good worker until the 2010s, which is coincidentally when he finally got sober

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Goldust arguably didn't become a good worker until the 2010s, which is coincidentally when he finally got sober

All joking aside he was actually good in the early 90s and OK for a stretch of the early aughts but there were a LOT of bad years in there, especially when his drug issues hit rock bottom in TNA and he was one of the worst wrestlers on the Earth.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Benne posted:

Dustin Rhodes arguably didn't become a good worker until the 2010s, which is coincidentally when he finally got sober

This is horseshit. He had a ton of great matches in WCW as just plain old Dustin, and his team with Booker T from 02-03 was really solid. He also dragged a couple good matches out of a green as goose poo poo Sheamus in ECW in 2008.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This is horseshit. He had a ton of great matches in WCW as just plain old Dustin, and his team with Booker T from 02-03 was really solid. He also dragged a couple good matches out of a green as goose poo poo Sheamus in ECW in 2008.

You are looking at a 20 year period and you have to skip over 6-7 years to get to a point where he had "really solid" tag matches and then skip ahead another 6 years to Sheamus who had been in the business 5 years at that point and was not green.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i am looking at the star ratings right now

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dustin wasn't a truly great wrestler until he turned 50.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

All joking aside he was actually good in the early 90s and OK for a stretch of the early aughts but there were a LOT of bad years in there, especially when his drug issues hit rock bottom in TNA and he was one of the worst wrestlers on the Earth.

I'm reminded of the plane ride from hell, where, if I remember right, he drunkenly sang to Terri Runnels, who was his ex-wife by then. He then either got loaded or doped up, and had to be carted off the plane in a wheelchair.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
If you've read my Business Insider article about the WWF ring boy molestation scandal—or even just saw certain things I posted in the NY64 discussions:

What does everyone think was the reason history has completely forgotten that Vince McMahon told Phil Mushnick and Dave Meltzer on the record that he and Linda became so concerned in early 1988 that Mel Phillips was using his job to molest children that they fired him...only to rehire him if he "stayed away" from kids? It played a much smaller role in their contemporaneous coverage (and Wade Keller's) than you'd expect, too. Something just doesn't make sense here. It's never been mentioned in Dave's various retrospectives about "Titangate," for example. What am I missing here? I get why it wasn't covered more mainstream, because that closes the article, but...why did the people covering the story treat it as so minor that the collective sheet reader universe completely forgot that it happened? Hell, Dave was lost for a reason why when I asked him back when we talked for the article. But...this was covered! It wasn't a secret! Mushnick's deposition wasn't available, but there's no good reason that this isn't part of every discussion of the scandal.

For context...

https://www.businessinsider.in/poli...ow/78938854.cms

When Cole and Loss first came forward publicly, Vince McMahon appeared on CNN's "Larry King Live" in March 1992, where he said that he "really don't know what to make of it" and had "no idea, whatsoever" about any sexual abuse going on in his company.

When the New York Post columnist Phil Mushnick saw McMahon's appearance, he was irate: Just days before, Mushnick wrote in a 1992 column, McMahon had confessed in a phone call that he suspected Phillips of taking an "unnatural" interest in young boys and had even fired him for it before hiring him back.

"Two weeks ago, during pour-his-heart-out phone calls," Mushnick wrote, McMahon "told West Coast-based journalist Dave Meltzer, then me, that he had let Phillips go four years ago because Phillips' relationship with kids seemed peculiar and unnatural. McMahon said he re-hired Phillips with the caveat that Phillips steer clear from kids." Meltzer confirmed to Insider that this was an accurate account of his call with McMahon.

McMahon would bring a defamation lawsuit against Mushnick and the Post a year later, but that complaint never challenged Mushnick's account of that phone call. In a deposition taken as part of the lawsuit, Mushnick described what he said were detailed conversations with Vince McMahon in which the WWE mogul acknowledged that he and Linda McMahon "had known for some time that Mel had a peculiar and unnatural interest and attachment to children" and had fired him for it, only to let Phillips return out of pity.

"McMahon told me that it was his great regard for children, his own personal regard for children, that made him get rid of Mel Phillips," Mushnick said in the deposition.
"He told me that he was returned by Linda," Mushnick testified. "Vince and Linda returned Phillips to the organization with the caveat that Mel steer clear of underaged boys, stop hanging around kids, and stop chasing after kids." Vince McMahon said he brought him back, Mushnick testified, because Phillips "really missed the wrestling" and "really missed the scene."

Vince McMahon's acknowledgement — as described by Mushnick — that he fired and rehired Phillips in 1988 is supported by the available video evidence. Phillips disappeared from his post on the syndicated "Wrestling Challenge" TV show after a March 1988 taping but reemerged for a live broadcast six weeks later at Boston Garden. WWE never publicly acknowledged his absence at the time. Phillips' former friend who spoke with Insider added that Phillips never mentioned the 1988 firing until the McMahons dismissed him again in 1992. Phillips argued that the fact the McMahons had rehired him so quickly in 1988 was evidence of his innocence, the former friend said.

In his deposition, Mushnick said he had talked to McMahon about other rumored victims of abuse within WWE beyond Cole and Loss. He recalled mentioning a specific name to Vince, a teen Mushnick said was referred to within WWE as "Mrs. Mel Phillips." As Mushnick remembered it, McMahon responded "that's his guy, but he has his parents' permission." When asked in the deposition whether he would object to a consensual relationship between Phillips and the teen had he been over 18, Mushnick noted that he had heard that the individual "is an intellectually — he's been described to me by several people as extremely slow." (Insider was unable to locate the individual in question.)

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

davidbix posted:

If you've read my Business Insider article about the WWF ring boy molestation scandal—or even just saw certain things I posted in the NY64 discussions:

What does everyone think was the reason history has completely forgotten that Vince McMahon told Phil Mushnick and Dave Meltzer on the record that he and Linda became so concerned in early 1988 that Mel Phillips was using his job to molest children that they fired him...only to rehire him if he "stayed away" from kids? It played a much smaller role in their contemporaneous coverage (and Wade Keller's) than you'd expect, too. Something just doesn't make sense here. It's never been mentioned in Dave's various retrospectives about "Titangate," for example. What am I missing here? I get why it wasn't covered more mainstream, because that closes the article, but...why did the people covering the story treat it as so minor that the collective sheet reader universe completely forgot that it happened? Hell, Dave was lost for a reason why when I asked him back when we talked for the article. But...this was covered! It wasn't a secret! Mushnick's deposition wasn't available, but there's no good reason that this isn't part of every discussion of the scandal.

For one, I’d imagine covering Vince back then must have been very much like covering Trump today. There’s so much crazy poo poo going on that fatigue and lack of perspective sets in, and it’s hard to figure out what even matters from day to day. If the entire media can’t figure it out now, I can’t really blame Dave and Wade for not figuring it out back then. I am more surprised about Phil, though, considering his seemingly endless capacity for (rightly) attacking Vince from every other angle.

The other more unfortunate reason is how people reacted to child sexual abuse until fairly recently. “He messed up but he promised not to do it again” was probably an acceptable response for way too many people. That was a terribly common response people had to priests sexually abusing kids.

It’s crazy to think how recent it is that that attitude has changed. In 2003 a whole bunch of people whose work I respected gave Roman Polanski a huge ovation at the Academy Awards while millions of people watched. I still don’t know how the gently caress anyone thought that was acceptable then. But “Come on, he only drugged and raped one little girl and it was a long time ago” was the mainstream position not so long ago.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

davidbix posted:

What does everyone think was the reason history has completely forgotten that Vince McMahon told Phil Mushnick and Dave Meltzer on the record that he and Linda became so concerned in early 1988 that Mel Phillips was using his job to molest children that they fired him...only to rehire him if he "stayed away" from kids?

It's because he's rich and this is America, hth

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's such a weird thing I think it was mainly to keep Mel quiet about the other stuff going on at WWF at the time. Things like the Snuka murder coverup are really just the tip of the iceberg in terms of stuff Vince has covered up and people in the company knew about. You look at people like Pat Patterson who was implicated in the scandal but probably wasn't big in it because it seems like his thing was to sexually assault grown male talent. There's just so many threads to pull at that time and I don't think Vince could have put out all those fires if people started talking.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 2, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Reminder that it took the bogus satanic child sex slavery scandals in the early eighties for people in the US to really start giving a poo poo about child molestation in the first place. Before that it was a dirty secret nobody spoke of or the punchline to a joke.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think for me, one of the disturbing aspects is that there's a likely a bunch of disturbing stuff that they did cover up successfully with us not knowing anything.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Reminder that it took the bogus satanic child sex slavery scandals in the early eighties for people in the US to really start giving a poo poo about child molestation in the first place. Before that it was a dirty secret nobody spoke of or the punchline to a joke.

I highly recommend Behind The Bastards recent 2 parter about this very thing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know what this is, and I need to know what this is.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

it may be too soon to really tell, but how does Brandon Cutler's run stand on the scale of losing streak gimmicks? Are there any actually historically good ones? Because they always get guff when brought up.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The Mulkey Brothers are pretty well regarded iirc and the place went nuts when they got their first win.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Procrastinator posted:

it may be too soon to really tell, but how does Brandon Cutler's run stand on the scale of losing streak gimmicks? Are there any actually historically good ones? Because they always get guff when brought up.

Kenta Kobashi lost the first sixty-three matches of his career, if wikipedia is to be believed. That was less "losing streak gimmick" and more "he'll get there someday!" though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Sandman didn't win a match in ECW for like 2 years and he was pretty over by the time he started winning more consistently.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Procrastinator posted:

Barry Horowitz was a jobber with no storyline forever until he pinned Skip and kicked off a short-lived mini push. It was kind of fun.

Wasn't MVP doing a losing streak during his best friends story with Matt Hardy? That was also fun.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know what this is, and I need to know what this is.

Enzo wore a disguise to get into Survivor's Series '18, after he had been fired from the WWE. Partway into the PPV he shed the disguise, jumped up onto a chair, and tried to cut a promo.

Security dragged his sorry rear end out.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Barry Horowitz was a jobber with no storyline forever until he pinned Skip and kicked off a short-lived mini push. It was kind of fun.

Wasn't MVP doing a losing streak during his best friends story with Matt Hardy? That was also fun.

MVP also managed to destroy Kizarny's career during that, since by the time they trotted him out to squash MVP in his debut the crowd was having none of it

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Nystral posted:

What happened to Mr Touchdown. He got the title win, got hurt, then stopped working for Chikara well before the company imploded. Did he and Quack have a falling out.

Did anyone take their Chikara gimmicks elsewhere?

Touchdown was written out with a big ladder match against Dasher during the 2019 season, I believe during Wrestlemania weekend. Pretty sure it was a way for him to lay low for a while and heal from his nagging injuries while Dasher got to shine as the heel champ. Dasher spent the rest of the year feuding on and off with his son Boomer while sporadically defending the title.

Presumably, Touchdown would return in some fashion, but the next season was 2020 and that season was almost non-existent due to COVID. Dasher himself only wrestled one match and it wasn't even as a singles competitor. On Twitter, Touchdown did finally break his silence and told Dasher he wanted to talk (with Dasher's manager Sidney Bakabella acting like a nervous lawyer about it), but if that was to set up a new storyline, it never had the chance to happen.

Now that Chikara's done with, there's a contingent of students from the last few years who have decided to keep at it despite Chikara's reputation. Some have done away with their old gimmicks, like the Xyberhawx guys, but Whisper, Callux, the newer ants, Boomer Hatfield, Molly McCoy, Still Life and Blank are still using their Chikara gimmicks. Hallowicked hasn't really been wrestling much, but he appears to be keeping the gimmick and I think is using it for game streaming or something like that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Gavok posted:

Hallowicked hasn't really been wrestling much, but he appears to be keeping the gimmick and I think is using it for game streaming or something like that.

He has a comedy video game show on IWTV where he plays weird rare horror games. It's actually a lot of fun.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

That was afterwards. The MVP losing gimmick is the epitome of it done terribly. It was doomed from the start because MVP came out of the gate with a feud with the Brothers of Destruction and was presented as a big deal. The guy was also a good promo and a decent worker so it made no sense why he was suddenly a jobber especially coming out that fun Matt Hardy feud. Plus it ended in the lamest way possible by having MVP pin Big Show thanks to interference from HHH.

A losing streak only works if the wrestler is either a rookie who just keeps falling short or is an established jobber finally getting that big win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Big Bidness posted:

For one, I’d imagine covering Vince back then must have been very much like covering Trump today. There’s so much crazy poo poo going on that fatigue and lack of perspective sets in, and it’s hard to figure out what even matters from day to day. If the entire media can’t figure it out now, I can’t really blame Dave and Wade for not figuring it out back then. I am more surprised about Phil, though, considering his seemingly endless capacity for (rightly) attacking Vince from every other angle.

The other more unfortunate reason is how people reacted to child sexual abuse until fairly recently. “He messed up but he promised not to do it again” was probably an acceptable response for way too many people. That was a terribly common response people had to priests sexually abusing kids.

It’s crazy to think how recent it is that that attitude has changed. In 2003 a whole bunch of people whose work I respected gave Roman Polanski a huge ovation at the Academy Awards while millions of people watched. I still don’t know how the gently caress anyone thought that was acceptable then. But “Come on, he only drugged and raped one little girl and it was a long time ago” was the mainstream position not so long ago.
Maybe there's something to that? As was alluded to on part one of the Behind The Bastards series on the Satanic Panic, t's not that far removed from when the norm in families where the father was sexually abusing his daughter(s) was to basically blame the mother for not loving enough, get everyone some mishandled therapy, and "keep the family together." (The then-critically acclaimed TV movie "There's Something About Amelia" lays out this process and as a result comes off as gross apologia now.) I've heard stories of things like dudes showing photos from their child sexua abuse vacations in Thailand to coworkers like it was nothing. Hell, it wasn't until...what, 2007? when, by virtue of Opie and Anthony making GBS threads on John and Jeff that anyone noticed and took issue with the one of them proudly displaying a photo of him with a young Thai girl from one of his such trips?

That said: Once the cat was out of the bag, the bigger story was what Vince and Linda knew and when they knew it. Vince hand-delivered something along the lines of that Mushnick and Meltzer who...just treated it as proof of one of many lies Vince told while buried in a larger story? And then they pushed it to the backs of their minds to the point that Mushnick never mentioned it after the lawsuit and Dave never mentioned it in his multiple retrospectives in the Observer and on Observer Radio? It doesn't make sense. Hell, even Tom Cole told a story in his Wrestling Perspective interview about talking to Jerry McDevitt on the roof of Titan Tower where he says Jerry told him that as a father, if it turned out Vince knew, he couldn't represent him anymore. So even Tom Cole of all people didn't know that Meltzer and Mushnick had said this.

I can make sense of parts of it, but at the end of the day, there's no good reason that this isn't at least part of the narrative that even those familiar with the story were already familiar with.