Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Serephina posted:

Is it worth doing some sort of gimmick run like 'no seamoth, no cylcops'?

good lord that sounds miserable

Serephina posted:

Is it even possible/viable to try and never used a vehicle (until the rocketship) and do dumb stuff like air pumps?

i mean it's what speedrunners do, so sure it's totally possible, but if you aren't playing the game as a speedrun this is going to be a horrible slog and probably not possible without heavy use of the glitches speedrunners use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, I guess you could just make I-compartments everywhere and walk through the whole game. :shrug:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Make one massive base with corridors leading to all zones and never swim again.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Is this game still hosed on AMD video cards? Last time i checked about a year or two ago, the game would outright crash at launch if you didn't run an Nvidia (or old versions of AMD) video card.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Serephina posted:

Is it even possible/viable to try and never used a vehicle (until the rocketship) and do dumb stuff like air pumps? I wanna kinda enjoy the early-game danger and prolong it into the lategame using the seaglide, if that makes sense?

You can use brain coral with growbeds underwater! You do have to wait for them to mature, but you could, for example, do a sea planter with creepvines (for visibility/bioluminescence, like a tower), brain coral for oxygen, and gel sacks(with harvesting and replanting) for food/o2. you can even use them as a safe spot/turret - sort of - by planting tiger plants and wearing a reinforced dive suit

I think you would more or less have to carry parts for a fabricator and base tube around just for when you gotta craft, tho.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

A Tiger Plant murked one of my Cuddlefish.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Good lord that's where mine has been...but I'm just waiting to go to the surface and launch. Probably never will: I can't leave my poor cuddlefish. :smith:

I released mine the morning I launched. There is a "say goodbye" button prompt once you take them out :3: I got a little misty.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Killstick posted:

Make one massive base with corridors leading to all zones and never swim again.

I wonder how big a base you can build before everything in the game breaks down forever.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Pretty big, if Zisteau's thousand meters gimmick bases are anything to go by.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I just got my first prawn suit and I was bopping along the ocean floor when a wreck spawned around me and now my prawn is stuck inside the wreck. I think I can use the console and dig myself out, but I don't want to kill my achievements. Any other way short of giving up and building a new one? Xbone version.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

If the console is opened and/or Console Commands are used, Achievements will be disabled while in that same play session. To counter this, the game world must be reloaded without the console being opened.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Canuckistan posted:

I just got my first prawn suit and I was bopping along the ocean floor when a wreck spawned around me and now my prawn is stuck inside the wreck. I think I can use the console and dig myself out, but I don't want to kill my achievements. Any other way short of giving up and building a new one? Xbone version.

If you go away from the wreck for awhile you can speed back and try and get in the prawn before the wreck respawns. I had to do a similar thing when I got stuck in one of the alien bases

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Canuckistan posted:

Yes. Build a base part that overlaps with the wreck. Poof. Like magic.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Canuckistan posted:

ikanreed posted:

Yes. Build a base part that overlaps with the wreck. Poof. Like magic.

This. Build an i-compartment or something on the wreck and it should despawn.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Mostly finished the new Below Zero build. Almost all the story breadcrumbs you need to finish the game are present so if you really want to play, it's pretty enjoyable now.

Breadcrumbs I couldn't find:
Build tool not sure why they keep the build tool from you for so long. Making people chance upon it in the twisty bridges or wait until the island seems weird for such a critical item.
Synthetic fiber the spiral plant clippings had to be wikied, no idea how I was supposed to find this otherwise.

Mostly bug free, but this run ended when in the final red crystal zone the shadow leviathan kept aggressively attacking my prawn suit even when I wasn't in it. You can't bring it into the alien base and when I did the story stuff in there it managed to destroy the suit leaving me stranded at the bottom of the map.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Synthetic fiber the spiral plant clippings had to be wikied, no idea how I was supposed to find this otherwise.

Same, no freaking idea except from the wiki.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Mostly bug free, but this run ended when in the final red crystal zone the shadow leviathan kept aggressively attacking my prawn suit even when I wasn't in it. You can't bring it into the alien base and when I did the story stuff in there it managed to destroy the suit leaving me stranded at the bottom of the map.

I got past this by parking the truckster up out of its range and then swimming down, time is short but enough to hide once or twice.

e: this was on the last patch though

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Mostly finished the new Below Zero build. Almost all the story breadcrumbs you need to finish the game are present so if you really want to play, it's pretty enjoyable now.

Been thinking about giving it another try now that the story is complete but still have a few questions:

1. How complete is the game world? There were still large sections that were underdeveloped in the last build like the area that had a bunch of jellyfish but not much else, if that's still the case I might hold off until 1.0 is released.

2. Does the completed story feel polished, or does it seem like they're likely to go over it again before the official release?

3. Is the tech tree complete? The last build still had ? icons for spiral chunks and maybe some stuff after that.

Mostly want to know what looks like it needs more development from your perspective.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Been thinking about giving it another try now that the story is complete but still have a few questions:

1. How complete is the game world? There were still large sections that were underdeveloped in the last build like the area that had a bunch of jellyfish but not much else, if that's still the case I might hold off until 1.0 is released.

Besides everything else, just remember there will be no ending added until the final release.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

2. Does the completed story feel polished, or does it seem like they're likely to go over it again before the official release?

3. Is the tech tree complete? The last build still had ? icons for spiral chunks and maybe some stuff after that.

Mostly want to know what looks like it needs more development from your perspective.

The world feels pretty complete at this point, everywhere the story led me looked really nice. Much much better than previous builds. The land areas are better and cold is much more of a concern, but honestly are still not very good.

Story is probably about as well polished as you can expect from this dev, it's not great but it works. I'm assuming the 'last' update they mention is just to put in the finale. The dialogue is all voiced, there are a couple areas with TBD placeholders for subtitles for some reason though.

Spiral chunks has an icon. I ran into a couple obscure items that didn't have icons yet. Built pretty much everything and it all seems to be working for the most part. I don't know if they reworked the air bladder or if I just didn't used it before, but don't sleep on that. Get a bladderfish and build that asap, it makes the first part of the game much more enjoyable.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
People don't seem very impressed with Below Zero which is slightly concerning. I guess it's hard to recapture the magic of the original if it's just more of the same. Pity Simon Chylinski got kicked off too, the music was so insanely perfect for Subnautica. Plenty of gaps of silence too where it's just the low bubbling ambience of being submerged and beeping of consoles in your vehicles.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DrDraxium posted:

Pity Simon Chylinski got kicked off too, the music was so insanely perfect for Subnautica.

actually it's not, that dude sucks rear end

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DrDraxium posted:

People don't seem very impressed with Below Zero which is slightly concerning. I guess it's hard to recapture the magic of the original if it's just more of the same. Pity Simon Chylinski got kicked off too, the music was so insanely perfect for Subnautica. Plenty of gaps of silence too where it's just the low bubbling ambience of being submerged and beeping of consoles in your vehicles.

I still really enjoy the game, but what's dragging it down for me is what sets it apart from the original-- the on-ground segments are too long and the areas are too winding. When I'm under the water I still love exploring and seeing the loving stunning biomes they put together. Above? It's icy, mainly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
So, I finally dove in (:heysexy:) and I am enjoying it so far. New voice acting feels...hmmm...off without the British accents, but that's pretty minor. UI and crafting systems are streamlined, gathering-loop is tighter, I'm having fun exploring.

The only thing that's taking me out are random (unimportant, non-interactable) plants that have a description of "TO DO," but other than that it is pretty solid. Already feels more refined than Subnautica...wish they could have patched some of these features in.

If you've been waiting to try, I'd say now is as good a time as any unless you are waiting for full release!

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

actually it's not, that dude sucks rear end

Never said he didn't deserve to be kicked off, it just sucks that it happened / he is who is is etc.

Bussamove posted:

I still really enjoy the game, but what's dragging it down for me is what sets it apart from the original-- the on-ground segments are too long and the areas are too winding. When I'm under the water I still love exploring and seeing the loving stunning biomes they put together. Above? It's icy, mainly.

Ah right, yeah that'd kill a bit of the mood for sure. I don't recall ever feeling too annoyed by the island parts of Subnautica, but I guess they were short relative to the rest of the game's content. If the on ground(ice)/water ratio is closer to 50/50 that might mess with the overall feel of the game. Great avatar btw ;)

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So, I finally dove in (:heysexy:) and I am enjoying it so far. New voice acting feels...hmmm...off without the British accents, but that's pretty minor. UI and crafting systems are streamlined, gathering-loop is tighter, I'm having fun exploring.

The only thing that's taking me out are random (unimportant, non-interactable) plants that have a description of "TO DO," but other than that it is pretty solid. Already feels more refined than Subnautica...wish they could have patched some of these features in.

If you've been waiting to try, I'd say now is as good a time as any unless you are waiting for full release!

Does sound like it's getting very close! Someone mentioned the only thing missing is the actual ending now? I think I've waited this long I might as well wait for final release / polish (Unknown Worlds ... polish? :sweatdrop:). I've got plenty of gear grinding to do in Monster Hunter World at the moment anyway.

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 6, 2020

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DrDraxium posted:

Ah right, yeah that'd kill a bit of the mood for sure. I don't recall ever feeling too annoyed by the island parts of Subnautica, but I guess they were short relative to the rest of the game's content. If the on ground(ice)/water ratio is closer to 50/50 that might mess with the overall feel of the game. Great avatar btw ;)

I love this avatar almost as much as Deviljho loves the taste of his own tail.

The other issue I have with the on-land segments is that it's also very easy to get stuck on terrain or behind supply containers. Underwater you can just swim out of the clipping, usually, but take away that third axis of movement and you feel much stodgier even though you don't control all that different. I still really enjoy the game, but I feel like shifting the focus to being on land so much was a poor decision, at least to the extent they did.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

DrDraxium posted:

People don't seem very impressed with Below Zero which is slightly concerning. I guess it's hard to recapture the magic of the original if it's just more of the same.

DrDraxium posted:

Most of the criticism I've seen so far boils down to:
  • Plot changed/dialogue incomplete
  • I don't like the new vehicle/miss the old ones
  • It's not complete
  • The above-ground sections

Personally, "more of the same" doesn't bother me at all when it comes to Subnautica. Like if they released a DLC for the original that added some new biomes/mobs and an extra storyline or two, I'd be all over it.

Some very mild spoilers for BZ below:

The only one I'd really lend much credence to is the last one, personally. I wasn't invested in the old plot and the new one seems perfectly servicable, even a bit better than the original game so far. I like the idea of dialogue between the alien in your head and the your character, though didn't play a whole lot further so not sure how good the execution is compared to some other SF stories I've enjoyed in print. As far as the vehicles, while I really liked both from the original game, the sea truck has worked fine for me so far and I really don't get the hate. I suspect a lot of people complaining underutilise the modular aspect, though I'll admit that it doesn't match the "personality" of the two in the original game. Adding a voice and maybe a couple new modules would definitely help.

Third one obviously getting better as time goes on, though the last one I'll concede. I think the original game struck the balance between underwater/on land just right, and gave just enough of the latter that it didn't get frustrating or drag, and was instead novel. Pretty much all of the parts where you're walking around are moving the plot forward, or giving you opportunity to gather new stuff.

With BZ the above ground sections are a lot bigger, and traversing them takes time, even with the hoverbike. The land portions suffer by comparison with the underwater game - on land you feel like a lumbering amphibian, and managing your heat is just a re-skinned and less fun version of your oxygen underwater.

I don't think the land bits ruin the whole game or anything, and it's a testament to the quality of what else they've done that it doesn't make me want to quit playing or write it off. I think it'll be interesting to see how they try to address it (if they do) before the final release.

Overall seems like bugs are fewer, the new habitat options are really nice and much appreciated, and it's clear a lot of care has gone into some of the creatures and biomes. If you enjoyed the original I would definitely recommend giving BZ a shot.

quote:

Does sound like it's getting very close! Someone mentioned the only thing missing is the actual ending now? I think I've waited this long I might as well wait for final release / polish (Unknown Worlds ... polish? :sweatdrop:).

Plot-wise, yeah, but they may still be looking to add other stuff like tools, mobs, mob behaviour, overhaul biomes/add new ones, etc.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Ethics_Gradient posted:

If you enjoyed the original I would definitely recommend giving BZ a shot.
L.

The original is one of my favourite games of all time. I bought BZ to support the devs ages ago, so I'll still definitely play it. It's just interesting to get everyone's takes on it, including your own. So thanks for the :words:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Serephina posted:

Is it worth doing some sort of gimmick run like 'no seamoth, no cylcops'? Is it even possible/viable to try and never used a vehicle (until the rocketship) and do dumb stuff like air pumps?
Do air pumps hit the same artificial limitation when the source is too far away from where you're trying to suck in air? Trying to imagine a pipe network stretching down through the lost river. I did spend the majority of my late game in the jawn suit, less clunky than the cyclops for everyday trips. On my second run I spent a lot more time gardening, easier to toss some deep shrooms and blood vines onto a planter bed than take a 800M dive to grab a couple.

The speedrun relies on a trick with the moon pool, putting together the minimum 'base' for it to respawn you and glitches like using the mobile vehicle bay to pop out of the lava zone geometry and into the final base. One that's reasonably easy to do and would make things a little less tedious is called "super seaglide," if you're standing in a base when it floods, your walking speed is added to the sea glide speed, it's faster than the seamoth.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just bought this, played maybe 2 hours last night and went to play today and the last save was from 52 minutes even though I swore I saved before I quit :saddowns:

Anyway I don’t know what I’m doing. Is there a goal or a time limit or something? The voice over lady was saying that the crashed ship would explode soon so I swam over, almost died to radiation, then it exploded and I spawned back in my boat.

Also gently caress the inventory management. It won’t let me put the floaty boxes inside the boat so I just have 100 outside that it makes me go in and out to do anything for.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

drunken officeparty posted:

Just bought this, played maybe 2 hours last night and went to play today and the last save was from 52 minutes even though I swore I saved before I quit :saddowns:

Anyway I don’t know what I’m doing. Is there a goal or a time limit or something? The voice over lady was saying that the crashed ship would explode soon so I swam over, almost died to radiation, then it exploded and I spawned back in my boat.

Also gently caress the inventory management. It won’t let me put the floaty boxes inside the boat so I just have 100 outside that it makes me go in and out to do anything for.

They really shouldn't have made the floating lockers a thing at all, to be honest. They're a trap for new players like you.

If you keep building new tools in your replicator when you have the chance, you'll find there's more to do.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Also gently caress inventory management.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Floating lockers where by far the worst part of the game, second only to it's much smaller cousin 'inventory management with wall lockers' who where wasteful of the players time, but still less aggravating than those goddamn PSTD floating assholes.

My sugestion is to make a base the very second it becomes semi-available, in what you'd consider a 'dangerous' biome. The base is bulletproof, don't worry, and the 'dangerous' area isn't really, and will probably be pretty.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Serephina posted:

My sugestion is to make a base the very second it becomes semi-available, in what you'd consider a 'dangerous' biome. The base is bulletproof, don't worry, and the 'dangerous' area isn't really, and will probably be pretty.

I just did this in 900m deep biome and holy poo poo does it make gathering resources easier. I wish I did it ages ago.

I found it very annoying that the duffle bags can't be picked up unless they're empty.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

ikanreed posted:

They really shouldn't have made the floating lockers a thing at all, to be honest. They're a trap for new players like you.

If you keep building new tools in your replicator when you have the chance, you'll find there's more to do.

Having an ancestral floating locker midden under your habitat (that you fill with extra salt "just in case you need it later") is a right of passage for Subnautica players IMO.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Mine is still there! Complete with some salt and some eggs.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The one use the floating briefcase has is with the grabby rifle as a way to cheat out extra storage at the cost of movement speed(not using a seaglide) and battery life.(on the rifle)

I sorta wish they'd make a 'beacon locker'(ie shows up on hud) so you could like, lug around a portable base's part sin it and have fun freaking out about where it when when you get jumped by a boneshark or something.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So what you’re saying is that I wasn’t supposed to make my base right next to my starting raft?

And by base I mean two tubes covered in wall lockers because I can’t figure out how to make an actual room or anything other than tubes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So what you’re saying is that I wasn’t supposed to make my base right next to my starting raft?

And by base I mean two tubes covered in wall lockers because I can’t figure out how to make an actual room or anything other than tubes.

Seabase Worm is also a rite of passage for new players. There’s nothing wrong with slapping a small tube together to store stuff next to the pod to start out. You’ll be making plenty of little outposts and stuff, at least that’s what I do.

For larger rooms, it’s exactly like fragments— get to scanning anything you don’t have in your database yet. Basically never not have the scanner out when exploring a new bit of ruined Alterra tech, there’s plenty to find.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Even a tiny hallway tube with a solar panel on it practically right under your escape pod is a real QoL boost. At that point you consider the escape pod your floating locker :pseudo:

I used to wait until I was ready to make a fully fledged base, but you can reclaim all the materials of nearly anything you build so it isn't wasteful to build a tube or two by the pod now to stash stuff, move later.

...Except for the floating lockers. You can't refund those. Yet another reason they are a trap for new players :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've played through three pre-release releases of Below Zero now, and having not played the original until it was fully released I'm not sure it was worth it.

To get it out of the way: The current release of Below Zero is absolutely worth your time, and is pretty fantastic with a few problems (which also describes the first game I suppose). The "new" plot is decent (although I didn't think the old one was bad, exactly, just unfinished and needing polish) but honestly the plot of these games is far from what drives them for me, and is more of an added bonus. It seems finished until the final act, although I did get a lot of log entries that were either "To do" or just flat out empty. I think I like the world of Below Zero better than the original in terms of interest, although there are still some that are woefully underutilized by the plot and there are still some points where the plot just kind of dies and leaves you with no direction until you find somewhere to go deeper.

The main criticism of the new game is the above-ground sections. They aren't TERRIBLE, but they are absolutely not even close to as interesting as below the water. Spoilers for tech/biomes but not plot: Exploring above ground bases was interesting enough, the temperature mechanic felt very tacked on and a relic of the previous releases but wasn't obtrusive. The hover bike feels weird as poo poo to control compared to underwater vehicles, but it's fine. The problem is that the arctic areas just aren't INTERESTING, like, at all. It's all very samey with no differentiation, and while I liked the snow stalkers, I loving HATED the ice worm(s). It being able to knock you off of your hoverbike seems dumb and unnecessary, but realistically I don't know how you could POSSIBLY make them interesting, because they're either just a minor irritation like they are now, or a horribly irritating threat to get past by making them more dangerous. They don't even have the same sense of awe that the underwater leviathans have for me, they just seem like Beetlejuice sandworms without the context.

All in all it seems like a good game that's unfinished (which again also describes the first one) and I feel like it's worth the money. There really aren't any games that scratch the same itch as Subnautica, and the story is passable enough as to not get in the way and give enough incentive to keep going. The biomes are absolutely beautiful and full of interesting poo poo to explore, the tech is fun (I don't really get the hate for the seatruck other than "it feels different than the seamoth" which, sure I guess, but that's not inherently bad) and the creatures are really neat/terrifying with few exceptions. I'm really looking forward to the final product.