Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are the rewards for beating characters at hard vantage masters worth it? I tried one then decided not to bother again lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

corn on the cop posted:

"alright, we can finally start cruising in vantage masters"

*faces tilia once*

:shepface:

Oh yeah she whips out the knight against your crappy fighter/ranger

Theres a pretty good master quartz if you beat everyone in Vantage, same with PoM

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

For what it's worth I cannot imagine any kind of explanation of Ouroboros' plans that would satisfying. It's sort of clear by now that they exist entirely to be mysterious villains and any kind of understandable motivation is a distant afterthought.

My Ouroboros theory is that whatever they're doing is some sort of convoluted plan to solve whatever the issue is that's making the world die in The East.

In the end the Good Guys will reveal that all of this plan was unnecessary and that actually you could solve this problem by just fighting hard against a monster.

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Barring all the curse garbage, I think the worst things for me were all the non-deaths and temporary side switching that started in CS3 and ended in CS4. George shooting Angie was a big nothing burger. Sharon going back to Ouroboros was also a big nothing burger, unless you're into BDSM outfits. The Courageous explosion gave us nothing but a fancy eyepatch for Olivier and a completely pointless subplot with Victor. Crow's role in the second half of the plot feels like some half-assed fujoshi pandering. I get this sense that rather than trying to grow a lot of these characters, CS4 tried to regress them back to the state they were in during the second half of CS1, where everyone was super friendly and happy. It kind of undermines the stakes and scale of the conflict that's been building up over the course of the tetrology.

The CS games are weird about having a fairly realistic world in terms of broader geopolitics, but being completely unwilling to create any stakes for its main cast (and even most of the supporting cast for that matter). Enemies will sometimes be willing to kill, except when it's one of the main/supporting characters. You have a character like Duvalie who is generally portrayed as not being a bad person, but in CS3 you have her unleashing a bunch of robots with gatling guns on the students, so unless you assume that they were able to predict that none of those bullets would kill anyone it's weirdly inconsistent. In general released archaisms seem to magically never kill anyone, at least during events the main characters are involved with.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's some incredible character interactions in Steel 4 I have to say.

For example in chapter 2 after you leave Ordis(specific section) actual spoiler: when you find Duvalie's reaction to Musse's choice of literature, and then the emotional whiplish of talking to Jusis and Altina and hearing Millium's never-to-happen plan for a present for Altina :smith: Oh and in the same point Ash roasting the poo poo out of Crow for his outfit as Azure Siegfried if you detour to Juno Naval Fortress.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm pretty sure that, at least in CS3, the solo fights are not tuned for difficulties above Normal. I'm not sure if those are even possible without abusing items. I looked at a guide, and apparently in Normal it's possible to break the boss in a fight like Rean vs Arianrhod using a combination of Juna's order and that Helix skill, but that totally isn't doable in Hard. I think I've had to resort to using BP items and Ebon Crest in all of those fights (though I was able to win by doing that).

(One option I didn't try that might work is using Insight plus stuff that boosts counter-attacks, but doesn't Rean's awakening give him Insight (or at least something with a similar icon)? I was still getting hit by every attack, so I assume that you can't use that strategy in those fights, at least on Hard.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure that, at least in CS3, the solo fights are not tuned for difficulties above Normal. I'm not sure if those are even possible without abusing items. I looked at a guide, and apparently in Normal it's possible to break the boss in a fight like Rean vs Arianrhod using a combination of Juna's order and that Helix skill, but that totally isn't doable in Hard. I think I've had to resort to using BP items and Ebon Crest in all of those fights (though I was able to win by doing that).

(One option I didn't try that might work is using Insight plus stuff that boosts counter-attacks, but doesn't Rean's awakening give him Insight (or at least something with a similar icon)? I was still getting hit by every attack, so I assume that you can't use that strategy in those fights, at least on Hard.)
I didn't have toooo much trouble with those in a raw hard run? I had to use items natch but not like there's anywhere better in the game to use them, really. And Rean can still evade, but he needs more than just Ogre Mode, he needs evade quartz.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Keeper MQ and Iron Will. Ebon Crest is a terrible waste in solo fights since you can't gain BP back other than using items and lucky turns. SU doesn't give Insight, that's a unique buff icon that indicates his Crafts have changed.

Terper fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 31, 2020

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
It's pretty annoying how easily you can end up getting pushed outside the range where Rean will actually perform counters, but yes if someone is not a wizard evasion will clown on them, guaranteed.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

My Ouroboros theory is that whatever they're doing is some sort of convoluted plan to solve whatever the issue is that's making the world die in The East.

My Bingo is Zemuria is a weak pocket dimension and theyre desperately trying to find some way to survive an impending invasion by a stronger dimension. The reason they never care that their plans are being opposed is because that's actually the main plan.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I get a chuckle about how in CS4 Falcom tries to obfuscate who characters are sometimes. If someone don't recognize Campanella and Lechter and are thrown off by "Green Haired Man" and "Red Haired Man" I'm not sure they should even be playing this game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MythosDragon posted:

My Bingo is Zemuria is a weak pocket dimension and theyre desperately trying to find some way to survive an impending invasion by a stronger dimension. The reason they never care that their plans are being opposed is because that's actually the main plan.

I get the impression that, for whatever reason, they're actually trying to merge whatever "spirit world" the Cryptids and higher elements are from with the current world. Perhaps there was some separation in the distant pass and the world is gradually dying as a result (what's happening in The East with the spirit veins drying up or whatever), so even if merging with that "spirit world" would cause massive casualties they view it as a necessity.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

I get the impression that, for whatever reason, they're actually trying to merge whatever "spirit world" the Cryptids and higher elements are from with the current world. Perhaps there was some separation in the distant pass and the world is gradually dying as a result (what's happening in The East with the spirit veins drying up or whatever), so even if merging with that "spirit world" would cause massive casualties they view it as a necessity.

Thats also a good one, and has actually been done in RPGs with Golden Sun before.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I get a chuckle about how in CS4 Falcom tries to obfuscate who characters are sometimes. If someone don't recognize Campanella and Lechter and are thrown off by "Green Haired Man" and "Red Haired Man" I'm not sure they should even be playing this game.

Oh god, the pan-up shots and faces being cut off at the nose get old fast. It's especially weird when the later CS games do it with characters that everyone can recognize in a heartbeat.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Rean's awakened form gives you:

Str + 50%
Pdef + 50%
Speed + 50%
Awakened (All-cancel immunity) (the icon you may have mistaken for insight)

As for hard+ difficulty duels, if you find you can't break a boss, I find it easier to provoke them into using their scraft on my terms so that I can have iron will formation up when they do (or physical immunity food if you have that). Most bosses go enhanced when their HP hits 50% (or 50% of the marker if you don't need to finish them off) so you can plan for that. It's very possible to do entire duels with iron will formation and just endure the onslaught if being aggressive doesn't work. Insight helps a lot too as you deduced.

Once they have used their scraft once, I don't think they can use it again. At the very least I've never seen it happen twice.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 1, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What does insight actually do, I dont think I've ever used it

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Sakurazuka posted:

What does insight actually do, I dont think I've ever used it

Accuracy + 50% and Evasion +50%. It also cures blindness, and if you have blind inflicted on you with insight on, they cancel out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh, huh sounds useful lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like working with Randy. He's fun.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Sakurazuka posted:

It makes Alisa stupidly good because her buff gives everyone +50 EVA, CP/HP regen, and in CSIV it works on herself as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Forgot about the healing too - it's a pretty ridiculous skill

Sakurazuka posted:

It's immensely useful; probably one of the best arts in the game IMO. Alisa also has a craft that casts insight + gives CP (IIRC) that is really good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why is there a new Bleublanc quest for every chapter in SC?? The first time it's fun and quirky, the second and third times its just real annoying but now for the fourth chapter in a row it just feels like a complete waste of time.

I guess this is what people were talking about when they mentioned Sky's pacing as being bad. It didn't bother me much in FC but man these sidequests really slow down the game.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I know this might be a controversial stance but hear me out - if you don't enjoy the sidequests, you don't have to do them!

I skipped most of the sidequests in SC and feel that my experience of the game has only benefitted from it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But there's a ranking system, I gotta do them!

Though yeah, i'll probably start skipping some. I did all the sidequests for CS1 and FC and that wasn't too annoying so I was kinda expecting that to continue but i'm definitely burning out with SC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why is there a new Bleublanc quest for every chapter in SC??

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/977227207167717377

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'm convinced there are a bajillion character notes in CS4 because Tatiana keeps telling me I don't have enough.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:hmmyes:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Two boss fights back to back, the first with status spam, the second with "do this much damage in this many turns hope you didn't burn your cp or BP in the last fight!"

Nah, hard pass CS4. You've broken my ability to care about 5 ap anymore.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The second one isn't too hard if you are able to prepare (enough BP to do Randy's order, 200CP S-Crafts available for everyone), but the first is a huge pain until you get it down to about 1-2 enemies left who you can then smack around to build up CP and BP again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shinjobi posted:

Two boss fights back to back, the first with status spam, the second with "do this much damage in this many turns hope you didn't burn your cp or BP in the last fight!"

The AP fights are by far the worst part of this game. There are so many of them, and they're always, always placed in the most obnoxious place possible. I've been reloading to retry, but it's a giant pain in the rear end because you just have to restart the entire game every attempt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

I'm convinced there are a bajillion character notes in CS4 because Tatiana keeps telling me I don't have enough.

Character notes are absurdly backloaded

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Barring the profiles themselves, I've only got 9 notes, which checks out cuz I'm currently lacking everyone's favorite Counselor.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hold up game, I would have been way more upset during the ending of CS3 if I'd have know that Valimar was also killed.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I just bludgeoned Gilbert down with normal attacks after taking out everything else to recharge CP, filling BP along the way with the occasional Link Attack. He really doesn't have anything truly dangerous in his moveset, so not wasting resources there worked out fine.

Also, making sure you go in with full CP/BP to burn them down fast honestly seems the best choice regardless, because both the end section fights I've run into so far have enemies that can pull out some truly nasty stuff if you leave them sitting around - even aside from them dropping an S-Craft. The Chapter/Act(?) 2 end fight has a boss that loves spamming an AoE that has an instant KO chance, for instance. Later on you've got full resources so you can expand your tactical choices, but you're just so hard limited in these early battles - and the break bar changes really don't help.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Shinjobi posted:

Yep. I'm taking a hard "no reloads" stance on fights. If I get the AP, I get the AP, if I don't, I don't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Hold up game, I would have been way more upset during the ending of CS3 if I'd have know that Valimar was also killed.

You do hear it happen, but you're right it wasn't explicit.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I just did "that one fight with the appropriately named song if you still haven't figured things out", right after "that super emotional fight with the super cool song" preceeded of course by the requisite 3 boss fights gauntlet so adding my vote to the bonus ap is bullshit in this game camp. I'm not going through all that again for 5 AP when I'll be able to scraft them all down on a second playthrough.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 1, 2020

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I do actually quite like the challenge of those fights, I just wish they made it more convenient to retry. As-is it's more convenient to sabotage yourself and game over than it is to finish the fight if you want to retry, which is just dumb.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
To be fair, I didn't dislike the time-attack challenges in act 1. It's just that I'm unwilling to go through 4 boss fights again to get another chance at the one that's got me frustrated. I didn't even think about getting a game over, could have done that !

Oh well, I'm going to replay this game at least 3 times anyway.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The Final battle of Act 1, the AP bonus is only annoying because one of them has more health than the other, it's mostly a matter of doing a bit of math in the heat of battle and lining up an S-Craft. Took me two tries because the link-counter attacks took one beyond half health.

Final battle of Act 2 Cedric is a huge pansy with low health, focus on Rutger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Azure still has for my money the most extreme cases of AP(or rather DP) rewards from fights, it has like four and some of them are among the hardest boss fights in Trails. Hell one is tied to real time taken rather than turns which is also almost impossible if you use the turbo function in the currently available non-Geofront patch because it makes it go down faster.