Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

We’re in the process of moving house and I can’t wait to get a fine from a thick cop for driving around for a non-approved reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gently caress me, the amount of friends and family that messaged my wife asking to meet up 'before the new lockdown.' Between that and my sister in law's ideas about what constitutes a bubble, it'll be a miracle if we make it out of this bloody house alive.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Nobody makes it out alive, in the end, but don't let that tarnish your grin.

:yohoho:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

gently caress me, the amount of friends and family that messaged my wife asking to meet up 'before the new lockdown.' Between that and my sister in law's ideas about what constitutes a bubble, it'll be a miracle if we make it out of this bloody house alive.

Yeah this gets me. The mentality of "Oh, a new lockdown is about to come in, better meet up now before the rules change!" when it should be "Well, things are getting dangerous now, we should probably stay home".

I have stayed home this entire loving time since March. I didn't have to, but I did. I've been out for shopping and I've moved house but I have had zero social engagements except we had an outside party for Canada day.

And I know I didn't need to, according to the rules, BUT

if every fucker had been doing the bare minimum compliance to the rules, poo poo would be much worse at this point (in both Canada and the UK).

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 1, 2020

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

My in-laws took some serious convincing not to run the blockade for the welsh lockdown. All for 2 nights at a beach house in October.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ronya posted:

a good point:

https://twitter.com/DavidCollinsST/status/1322648119411179521

something must have really scared the whole cabinet, as that Owen Jones tweet suggests

Having hospitals collapsing and everyones granny dying at Christmas is the kind of thing governments collapse over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wouldn't put it past the UK not to care though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Baker has the look of someone who went into a room thinking that, and then basically got Venkman's speech to the Mayor from Ghostbusters screamed at him for six hours until some part of his brain snapped and realised what a real catastrophe we're facing.
On one hand I hope this leads to a new kind of governance that defers to scientists rather than sacking them if they don't like the results of their research.

On the other I have a suspicion about the type of scientists that would rise to the top under such a state of affairs.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Having hospitals collapsing and everyones granny dying at Christmas is the kind of thing governments collapse over.

How many government-enders have we had just in the last couple of weeks? Nobody cares any more.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
we haven't yet seen the Tories face a substantial rebellion where the leadership can bleat that the alternative is Corbyn since, uh, Corbyn

that said, this being replaced by 'the alternative is a Starmer lockdown anyway, rather than the most grudging Johnson lockdown where The Prime Minister will do his level best to outwit those irresponsible scientists' doesn't improve the odds of backbencher revolt - the Tory back benches have grown markedly more rigid since Brexit ripped through their party

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the tory party is so comms obsessed that is probably just the prospect of headlines like “winter of discontent “ or “christmas IS cancelled“ that’s making them do anything

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

MeinPanzer posted:

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. We'd just moved to the UK when we moved into this place and we were desperate to find something. We've written back to the landlord with a reasonable point-by-point response, so we'll see what she says.

It sounds like legally we're lodgers with a licence agreement, but google searchers provide ambiguous results when it comes to our legal rights surrounding a damage deposit. If we didn't have exclusive access to the property, and thus never had an official tenancy, does that mean we have no legal right to challenge her keeping the deposit?

No, because we didn't do a walk through with pictures taken. My wife and I are Canadian and the tenancy laws we've always lived under stipulate that if you don't do a walk through, the landlord can't hold you responsible for wear and tear. Is the legal onus not on the landlord to demonstrate the state of the property before a tenant moves in, for comparative purposes?

I don't think so, since we just gave her a cheque for the amount. Does this give us any legal standing?

For the last year she's kept a bedroom in the house but hasn't been living there and only returned to pick things up or drop them off in storage once every 2-3 months. She hasn't been using the property in any other way but did keep a set of keys.

I started writing this yesterday but got distracted.

From what you have said so far, you were lodgers, but I would suggest that you have moved onto an AST.

To be on licence, the landlord must be resident in the property. Now the question lies where what is required for someone to be resident in a property. The only court case I know that deals with this was Palmer v McNamara and in that situation the landlord visited every day, even though they didn't sleep there.

I would suggest that the landlord has found a new main residence and as such you were no longer lodgers and went automatically on an AST giving you full tenant rights.

So here's a fun thing to try if they come back still asking for a massive amount. Tell them you have proof of their non-residency in the property, that you would legally be on an AST from that time and as such the landlord should have secured your deposit into one of the governmental schemes and that you will now need looking at claiming damages to the value of £900 from her in addition to the return of your deposit in full. However if they agree to return your deposit right now, you will forego such action.

The court action is a bit of a pain in the arse so it's a partial bluff, but as it looks like they want to claim the entire deposit anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, it's literally true though? London afaik is pretty consistently more left wing than most of the country.

Absolutely wetting myself reading this in Liverpool.

Cities in general are more left wing than rural areas, and southern rural areas are far more Tory.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TheTrashiesUK/status/1322817320352423937

The BBC is full of Nazis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

Absolutely wetting myself reading this in Liverpool.

Cities in general are more left wing than rural areas, and southern rural areas are far more Tory.

Yes and london is a very big city, ergo, it is more left wing than most of the country?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

She might have deleted her tweet but the fascist puff piece is still up on the BBC

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1322702373790339074?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pound shop peter stringfellow is a wanker you say?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
My city is more Correct than your city, no one should live in your tory city, get owned *disappears in sulphurous cloud of own farts*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
It’s true tho we should stop the migrant boats. Give them free ferry tickets instead. Anyone trying to get into England right now is clearly not an economic migrant.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

So there is a lot of Left across the length and breath of the country, and instead of saying "cool, lets go have an s club party" we're arguing over whos Pantone is redder.

This is why The Tories win.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I've long felt that there should be an aspect of immigration law that runs on Takeshis Castle rules. If you can make it past the British Only Boat Squads and all the rest of our needlessly antagonistic bullshit you should get full citizenship no questions asked

Like that guy who managed to run the entire channel tunnel without getting caught and instead of immediately giving him a passport and claiming him for Team GB we just turned him away. What a waste

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

notaspy posted:

So there is a lot of Left across the length and breath of the country, and instead of saying "cool, lets go have an s club party" we're arguing over whos Pantone is redder.

This is why The Tories win.

Don't think that's why

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I don't live in london, I've never been to london, I have no desire to go to london, but it seems by provable fact to have a lot of pretty decent people in it.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Hot take. The latest Labour drama isn't the powers that be making a killing stroke for Corbyn.

They're manipulating Starmer into cutting ties with the left leaning Labour voters that he needs to win a future election.

Starmer is still on his honeymoon as the media basks in the gentle glow of his neoliberalism. But he can expect to get the full Corbyn treatment before the next election. Because capital is absolutely not going to favor a compliant Labour when there's Tory on the menu.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

The North is weird because Mablethorpe (53.3409° N, 0.2611° E) is definitely in the Midlands, but Northwich (53.2587° N, 2.5181° W) is definitely in the North.

In conclusion, the Earth cannot be flat, but is an angled wedge.

I've no idea who these people are, but their twitter account is tickling my sense of humour:

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1322628894026014720

communism bitch posted:

He's sorted. He's just got to hang in till he reaches two years as PM to get his £100k a year pension, and then he can gently caress off for a consequence-free career making £50k a pop speaking engagements and a bunch of non-executive directorships where he's paid tens or hundreds of thousands a year for doing literally nothing. Everybody knows he's a loving lazy poo poo, and being Prime Minister will be the hardest he's ever had to work or will have to work. But he's sorted for life after this poo poo.

Is he not already set for life, on account of him being rich enough to become a member of the Bullingdon Club way back when?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

notaspy posted:

That is a healthy sign. All movements with lots of committed members argue a lot. Churches only discover ecumenism when they are fading into irrelevance.

Thinking it's our actions that let the other side win is a kind of power fantasy, honestly.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Frekkie Melody posted:

Starmer is still on his honeymoon as the media basks in the gentle glow of his neoliberalism. But he can expect to get the full Corbyn treatment before the next election. Because capital is absolutely not going to favor a compliant Labour when there's Tory on the menu.

When the Tory brand gets too toxic (e.g. by killing everyone's grandparents at Christmas) it's good to have your placeman in as head of the alternative.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

biglads posted:

When the Tory brand gets too toxic (e.g. by killing everyone's grandparents at Christmas) it's good to have your placeman in as head of the alternative.

Everyone's grandparents dying in the Summer didn't seem to hurt them too badly. :shrug:

notaspy posted:

"cool, lets go have an s club party"

We can (and should) do this while arguing.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Rumda posted:

the fact is I'm still more welcome here than I would be in loving bedford

Labour held Bedford in 2019 so it's not the worst place in the south.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
As a true northernertm from a place that as far as I know has never voted for anything but labour, I still know of a few people who openly voted tory and for brexit. You can still be from one of the "good" parts of the county and still be an arsehole and vice versa.

I don't think we should eject from the country all together but I do think it would be cool to move towards devolution. Maybe move the capital up here for a change.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Pull up the drawbridge is absolutely sickening language, particularly in the face of people drowning in the channel. No leftist should support fracturing or isolationism but no doubt there will be more and more of this "we need to help our own" messaging as the migrant crisis worsens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't particularly want to be closer to the government if I can avoid it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We could have done the whole executive capital Cardiff, judicial capital London, upper house legislative capital Edinburgh, lower house legislative capital Leeds thing, a bit like what South Africa did.

The upper house there is made up of delegations from each of the provinces too, which helps regional representation and avoids the whole continuously expanding upper house full of sinecures problem.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Guavanaut posted:

We could have done the whole executive capital Cardiff, judicial capital London, upper house legislative capital Edinburgh, lower house legislative capital Leeds thing, a bit like what South Africa did.

The upper house there is made up of delegations from each of the provinces too, which helps regional representation and avoids the whole continuously expanding upper house full of sinecures problem.

This except Scotland is independent.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
This antisemitism thing just doesn’t seem to be going away

The Guardian posted:

Indeed, it is the antisemitism thing that is splitting Corbyn into two discrete almost contradictory characters. To those who do not pay it much attention, he remains popular. To those who do, his actions have been unconscionable.

Maybe it is not going away because of you The Guardian, you shower of lying intentionally misinforming cunts. How are they allowed to be so wrong and still think if themselves as the newspaper of sensible moderate fact based liberalism?

Oh it's the last word isn't it, ah I answered my own question. Pure Ideology ~ sniffs ~

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Desiderata posted:

This antisemitism thing just doesn’t seem to be going away

Maybe it is not going away because of you The Guardian, you shower of lying intentionally misinforming cunts. How are they allowed to be so wrong and still think if themselves as the newspaper of sensible moderate fact based liberalism?

Oh it's the last word isn't it, ah I answered my own question. Pure Ideology ~ sniffs ~

Right, so they're essentially accusing the left of the party of being complicit in antisemitism no matter what. There's no winning with these people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's like that thing with the American Civil War.

People that only know a little think it was about slavery.
People that know a bit think it was about states' rights.
People that know a lot think it was about slavery.

People who don't pay much attention to Corbyn think he's decent, people who exclusively pay attention to the newspapers saying that he's an antisemite because he was in the same room when an Israeli said that Holocaust denial isn't illegal in the UK think he's an antisemite.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the guardian also have an article by actual CIA asset ruth smeeth today about antisemitism in labour

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

the guardian also have an article by actual CIA asset ruth smeeth today about antisemitism in labour

Can't believe you did an antisemitism towards Ruth Smeeth, reported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WhatEvil posted:

You're missing the bigger picture. He's handed out literally billions of pounds to dodgy offshore companies and poo poo for "PPE" and various other poo poo. I'd wager he'll be getting a board of director position on some made up company and getting at least a few mil a year for the rest of his life. There might also be some links with some Russian oligarchs and stuff because he's obviously got matey with Trump and his cronies. I'm not saying "IT'S A RUSSIAN CONSPIRACY, PUTIN!!", just the same old crony/disaster capitalism poo poo which happens to include a number of rich Russians like Evgeny Lebedev.

I disagree. I think he is *entirely* about the money. He was set for life in that he never really had to work again, but he is just enormously greedy. He wants to live the lifestyle, yachts, private paedo islands, the lot. Becoming PM is the most surefire way to do an enormous raid on the public purse by funneling many billions of pounds off to friends, for some fraction to be repaid later.

I think it’s both: money and ego. But more ego. He’s a giant narcissist who has always wanted to be PM so he can be seen to have won. Money on top of that is great but secondary; it’s a given. Look at how much a charisma black hole failure like May is getting paid now for speeches and imagine what Bojo might expect. It’s nauseating.