Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

L. Ron Hoover posted:

The game will have hundreds of thousands of living NPCs indistinguishable from players, so you wouldn't even know who to grief!
Uh, what?

Unless NPCs do similar erratic running around like PCs, latter will be easily identifiable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
New Babbage

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's still the worst name. I know that's named after an english polymath, but cmon.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Uh, what?

Unless NPCs do similar erratic running around like PCs, latter will be easily identifiable.

Easily solved by removing player ability to run, jump and/or crouch.

Fidelity!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So this citizen thinks that the AI could hold up to basic questioning, especially with regard to verbiage, response times, are we capitalizing words while typing or speaking or what? Is this player prepared to perfectly imitate an in-game generic NPC? What if the player is German, or doesn’t speak whatever localization you’re on?

Can’t wait for Turing Tests designed specifically to determine who to grief! Oh god now I’m playing Imagination Citizen too

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They actually finished and implemented the bartenders, and it's hilarious how much work they clearly put into their animations and AI, and it's still janky as hell and often broken.

CIG spent more time on developing bartenders than was spent on the entirety of Anthem. Anthem sucked but it was still a game that was released whereas bartenders still don't even work while also providing zero gameplay.
I'm not sure where I was going with this but they're both bad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

playground tough posted:

Oh my god this rocks so much

While better late than never joining this dumpster fire party, you missed the good old days of constant gently caress ups that were much more funny than the general plodding along they are doing now.

A couple of the best laughs are the citcons and a certain holiday stream. The wheels falling off the rover will always be a classic.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This is the game

https://i.imgur.com/GFbNnXj.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CEm3DMG.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zglw7vI.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/r14R9xf.mp4

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

It physically hurts me. He's unironically exactly the typical parody of the clueless armchair game developer. "LIKE DARK SOULS!" but not remotely comprehending what that means or why.

Yeah, it's similar as when every hard game is described as "soulslike", I hate that. I stopped at every review I red for the Doom: Eternal DLC as soon as a comparission to dark souls was made in regard to difficulty, because the two genre have nothing in common. Difficulty is NOT what defines dark souls, demon's souls etc.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO7RxsZpcKc&t=49s

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/jlo2l6/how_it_looks_when_a_ship_quantum_jumps_and_arrives/

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Pixelate posted:

This is the game

Remember, Crobear's company has a 4x funding efficiency advantage. It would take a regular AAA developer/publisher at least 1.2 billion dollars to achieve this level of quality.

I mean, look at the high-fidelity-physics jangly grenades on that character as he vibrates out of his chariot and clips through the planet. Wow!

Most AAA game developers would have been ordered by their evil publisher to just cheat, and put FAKE grenades on their models, and use lovely cheap cheats to keep their players inside their chariots and on top of the planet surface. SO FAKE.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

What's so great about being able to drink and eat in this "game" anyway? In real life I eat and drink because I am hungry and it tastes good. In video games it's because some annoying mechanic is compelling me to.

People are going to drink one can of space soda for the novelty of it and never do it again.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

AndrewP posted:

People are going to drink one can of space soda for the novelty of it and never do it again.
fully fizzicalized

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Pixelate posted:

This is the game
That poor guy on the stairs :ohdear:

Thanks for collating these for the thread, btw. They're always worth a chuckle

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

zebedy posted:

fully fizzicalized

:pusheen:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

AndrewP posted:

What's so great about being able to drink and eat in this "game" anyway? In real life I eat and drink because I am hungry and it tastes good. In video games it's because some annoying mechanic is compelling me to.

It is almost as if someone at CIG had a though "Hey, a lot of people like survival games, right?" and they just went with it. And they placed it into setting where city planet exists and not in some setting where food and drink is scarce

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Imagining future gameplay : Agriculture posted:

We know that the priority for 2021 is to develop gameplays already present which are cargo transport and bounty hunting, as well as tier 0 medical gameplay. Salvage will therefore probably not arrive before 2022 at the earliest, and will be followed by repair and refuel since they were all three originaly planned for the same patch (Q2 2018). Other gameplay that has never been mentioned and never appeared on the roadmap will probably arrive much later, agriculture is one of them.

Yet it is one of the most exciting gameplay that is if we think the complete potential gameplay loop :

You are in your Endeavor and looking in the ingame data exchange market for something interesting, when you come across this : a player discover the location of the famous Centennial Bloom plant.

Location data is for sale for 1.5 million UEC, which is a small amount compared to the potential profit, for those who know how to exploit it.

So you buy the information and find out that the plant is in a lawless system far away, it's time to prepare your expedition, fill your kitchen with food, store water, set up your flight plan making sure you will have enough fuel to reach the planet according to the RRs on your way ect ...

After several ingame days you arrive near the planet, it orbits very close to its star, radiation and temperature level will only leave you a few minutes of survival there, moreover the information you have purchased has only an accuracy of around ten kilometers and you need to activate the Endeavor's sensors and detectors to precisely spot the plant's biological signature.

You leave the Endeavor in orbit and take a shuttle to reach the surface, after a few minutes of research you finally find the much sought-after plant, which you place in a special container.

Back in your Endeavor, thanks to the science module you manage to extract seeds from the plant, and can start mass production in the agriculture module.

You need to know the optimal conditions for the development choosing the right type of soil, the right type of fertilizer, the temperature, as well as the type of electromagnetic radiation. It turns out that the Centennial Bloom only blooms near a red dwarf, and there are only two systems with this type of star, the Horus and Orion system, the Horus system is the closest but this is a Vanduul system, but you feel that the long crossing to the Orion system is not worth it and head for the Vanduul system.

In order for the plant to take advantage of the star's radiation you must be extremely close to the solar corona, very rare are the ships able to approach so close, luckily Endeavor is made for, and you will not be bothered by enemy ships.

After having spent several weeks in orbit around the star, controling the humidity levels and the development of your plants, time has finally come, the Centennial is blooming !

Time to manually harvest these beautiful petals, the secret is that these flowers contain a unique molecule that is highly sought after by the pharmaceutical industry, so you transfer your production to the lab to extract and store the molecule.

But it is not only the pharmaceutical industry that is interested in this molecule, it would also be used in the development of the rarest drug in the Verse, which leaves you the choice, sell your production for 7M UEC to big pharma, or post an ad on the Verse black market for 10M and see if drug dealers are interested, that said there is always a risk when dealing with outlaws, so you'll need to hire mercenaries to protect yourself.

An infamous drug dealer of the Caliban system is willing to buy your production, you therefore choose to recruit two hammerheads who will protect you during the exchange, everything goes as planned and you are now richer by a few millions.

Wouldn't that be cool ?

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DjGy4nHs.png[/img]"]That is exactly the kind of fantasy I hope to live out in the verse!

It highlights all of the considerations that should be meaningful and intentional choices to be made... Well done!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zebedy posted:

fully fizzicalized

:golfclap:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

an actual frog posted:

Thanks for collating these for the thread, btw. They're always worth a chuckle

I’m mainly just stealing them from this YT channel at the moment. (Once you cut out the standard 'oh no ship exploded' stuff there’s some deep disfunction being documented there XD)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I'm not sure I like how the discussions around DOASM are going posted:

Mr. Roberts did say

quote:

One of my goals with Star Citizen is to make it feel very visceral and real.

And that he wants to

Respawn & corpse runs don't seem very visceral, real, or like a particularly meaningful consequence of dying. I'd prefer a focus on reasonably long respawn timers to allow Search and Rescue, player-centric, emergent gameplay, and if players don't find them by then, they can punch out (at their option) and quanta does.

I'd rather call it a night, go to bed, and give players a chance to find and rescue me while I'm offline for less lives lost than I would respawn as a clone and go find my own dead body, selfishly providing no gameplay for anyone but myself. And boring trope gameplay at that.

quote:

Its not meant to be fun. Its punishment for dying. If you dont wanna lie dead on the floor with a black screen, dont die.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pixelate posted:

This is the game
gifs

I love the thousand yard stares. I'd almost feel sorry for these people if they weren't streaming Star Citizen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

commando in tophat posted:

It is almost as if someone at CIG had a though "Hey, a lot of people like survival games, right?" and they just went with it. And they placed it into setting where city planet exists and not in some setting where food and drink is scarce

I like to compare Star Citizen to Fortnite. That might sound weird at first, but Fortnite was originally intended to be a tower defense FPS single player/co-op game. It was stuck in development hell, changing styles and forms many times over. They finally went into beta with the single player/co-op campaign, but it wasn't until the advent of PUBG which inspired Fortnite to shoe horn in a Battle Royale mode into what was at that point a very mediocre game. Obviously the Battle Royale mode took off for Fortnite and the single player side (which again was the original concept for the game) was almost completely forgotten about overnight, eventually they dropped the Fortnite Battle Royale mode name and the BR mode simply became Fortnite as we know it.

CIG is trying to follow this same path, except they do not have the creativity or skill to make any of that work. The Fortnite model is a 1 in a million lucky turn around for a game that wasn't really going anywhere based on it's original premise, it is not a model that game developers should aim for. But CIG keeps chasing that Fortnite Battle Royale dragon, hoping one of these modes (Theaters of War) takes off on it's own as a wildly popular mode that they can then pivot the entire game around.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

The third absurd ship showroom nears completion

So I don't watch Star Trek, like Star Trek, or have ever on-purpose watched a non-movie episode, but even to me this to me looks like the bridge from the Patrick Stewart version of Star Trek as envisioned by somebody with less creativity.

I can only guess that if you look up in that room, there's like some kind of circular futuristic light system.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

So I don't watch Star Trek, like Star Trek, or have ever on-purpose watched a non-movie episode
And to think I respected you.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

an actual frog posted:

That, for once, isn't a glitch - that's the end of the "escape from prison" run.

The last staircase has a missing step, which, if you don't spot it after 45mins of painstaking jumping around tunnels, you fall through !

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Ok this is interesting to me because this is apparently how some shitizens have wiggled their way out of the death penalty issue. The game will have hundreds of thousands of living NPCs indistinguishable from players, so you wouldn't even know who to grief!

Also, in this spaceship game which is ostensibly fun because you get to shoot your space lasers in your big sexy ship, actually you will only have the rare potential to shoot space lasers. Because like the real world, there is a huge death penalty and law enforcement is everywhere. So actually it will be just like real life where you just get in your car and take the freeway to work. This is what I want in my dream game.

So to fit in, stand on a chair or stare at a wall and as soon as the perp walks past you, turn and shoot them in the back then immediately return to standing on a chair or staring at a wall. Nobody will consider you because you look just like a fidelity npc indistinguishable from a human player. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Prop Wash posted:

So this citizen thinks that the AI could hold up to basic questioning, especially with regard to verbiage, response times, are we capitalizing words while typing or speaking or what? Is this player prepared to perfectly imitate an in-game generic NPC? What if the player is German, or doesn’t speak whatever localization you’re on?

Can’t wait for Turing Tests designed specifically to determine who to grief! Oh god now I’m playing Imagination Citizen too

So tell me about... your mother.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
The NPC's are far more intelligent than the human players. For a start they haven't spent a penny on Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AndrewP posted:

After 8 years of promising engaging gameplay like fighter pilots and mercenaries and doing missions on desert planets with sandworms jumping around and derelict ships to explore in space and land to buy and own and defend in deep space and a million onlther things...

People got eating and drinking animations and food and drink bars that go down over time and kill them if they get to zero, which I don't even believe was in the Kickstarter anywhere or a feature anybody was wanting.

It's the closest thing to a gameplay loop people can attach to so it's what it is.

It's kind of like all the stuff above and then the big gameplay feature is a prison system in a game that routinely can't tell if you're committing a crime, and if you are caught or die you just teleport to jail.

I'm not sure anybody was wanting or expecting that... but it also is what it is.

I mean, all those missions and good gameplay is hard. Building a prison map with a timer not so hard. Food and drink survival mechanics also not so hard. Lots of tutorials online to get those rolling.

My suggestion is that if it's not a CryEngine tutorial somewhere, it's probably going to take a long time for cig to get it implemented. If it is... expect to see it in Star Citizen! Yay! :)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

My respect just increased.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

trucutru posted:

Hold on a second, brb, I'm doing a corpse run.

Don’t bother bud. and thanks for the Hot Topic gift card.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

commando in tophat posted:

https://youtu.be/65WePpefz98

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sunswipe posted:

We can still rub together friend. :)

Kosumo posted:

My respect just increased.

We will just enjoy rubbing even more together! :)

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Tippis posted:

Now I'm tempted to crosspost my multicrew rant from over on the FDev forums, because that's another area where they have managed to stay ignorant of two decades worth of game design experience. :D

I for one would like to read it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AndrewP posted:

NOTHING in Star Citizen is great or even remotely fun in any conceivable way.

They're talking about gameplay features they're spending years programming that will replace the gameplay of getting shot and respawning with getting shot and crawling around bleeding with a broken femur for 6 hours begging the nearest space-doctor with a level 2 space-medbay to come over and patch up your leg so you can loving walk again.

This game is driven entirely on "IMMERSION" and "ITS REAAAAAL" and the thought of what would be fun doesn't remotely even enter the discussion.

They're spending millions of dollars developing things that are intentionally, by design, tedious and frustrating.

This is all because of a complete failure of understanding how to design games, combined with a fanatical cultish faith that one day they'll flip the switch, the virtual universe will come alive, and they can retire into the matrix and spend all day drinking harry roberts in a jacuzi with space models.

Its delusion all the way down.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

I like to compare Star Citizen to Fortnite. That might sound weird at first, but Fortnite was originally intended to be a tower defense FPS single player/co-op game. It was stuck in development hell, changing styles and forms many times over. They finally went into beta with the single player/co-op campaign, but it wasn't until the advent of PUBG which inspired Fortnite to shoe horn in a Battle Royale mode into what was at that point a very mediocre game. Obviously the Battle Royale mode took off for Fortnite and the single player side (which again was the original concept for the game) was almost completely forgotten about overnight, eventually they dropped the Fortnite Battle Royale mode name and the BR mode simply became Fortnite as we know it.

CIG is trying to follow this same path, except they do not have the creativity or skill to make any of that work. The Fortnite model is a 1 in a million lucky turn around for a game that wasn't really going anywhere based on it's original premise, it is not a model that game developers should aim for. But CIG keeps chasing that Fortnite Battle Royale dragon, hoping one of these modes (Theaters of War) takes off on it's own as a wildly popular mode that they can then pivot the entire game around.

Yeah my theory is that at some point in the last few years, CIG (possibly pushed by the Calders) realized that they’ll never be able to finish the MMO part of Star Citizen. So they started working on Theaters of War as something they could spinoff and turn a nice profit on. They hired Rexzilla to test the waters and lay the ground work by bringing aboard the Battlefield/Arma crowd.

But Rex only provided a hangout spot for existing whales and never brought in enough fresh blood to move the needle. Around the same time CIG realized in its internal tests that TOW was just as bad of a dumpster fire as the PU. So they decided to adopt the Fabian strategy and keep delaying it until whatever little interest it had in the community simply fizzled out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mirificus posted:

a player discover the location of the famous Centennial Bloom plant.

What? There's a whole species of plant that's worth millions but nobody knows where it is? How is that even remotely possible?

Did the plant exist on colonized planets but they drove it extinct? I'm lost as to how they know this plant even exists but they don't have any samples or DNA they can clone??

Mirificus posted:

You need to know the optimal conditions for the development choosing the right type of soil, the right type of fertilizer, the temperature, as well as the type of electromagnetic radiation. It turns out that the Centennial Bloom only blooms near a red dwarf, and there are only two systems with this type of star, the Horus and Orion system, the Horus system is the closest but this is a Vanduul system, but you feel that the long crossing to the Orion system is not worth it and head for the Vanduul system.

Lmao this is the dumbest sci-fi writing i've ever heard.

The plant is superman?? :haw:

There's nothing that a star does that you couldn't replicate with a nuclear reaction...

But no, it HAS to be a red dwarf, and... only two of those exist in SC's universe???! Lmao WHAT.

quote:

In order for the plant to take advantage of the star's radiation you must be extremely close to the solar corona, very rare are the ships able to approach so close, luckily Endeavor is made for, and you will not be bothered by enemy ships.

After having spent several weeks in orbit around the star, controling the humidity levels and the development of your plants, time has finally come, the Centennial is blooming !

You spend several weeks in your ship orbiting a star close enough to grow a plant, but this doesn't harm you in any way??? Shouldn't you have cancer now or something?

Why the gently caress wouldn't you just build a drone ship that has the soil and plant on it and launch the drone to orbit the sun and then come back in a few weeks and pick the thing up god damnit star citizens don't know poo poo about space or sci-fi

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 1, 2020

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Pixelate posted:

Hell, they have enough trouble keeping a mining vehicle alive

All this to use a stupid car that shoots a laser at terrain.

Imagine what a disaster the Kraken will be when they finally build it.

They’ll never build the Kraken. Better buy an Idris.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I for one would like to read it.

You only have yourself to blame then…

Tippis posted:

Skizomeuh posted:

Unless multicrew is ultimately a mandatory chore thing (pun intended), the same as for ED will (already has?) emerge: why MC a ship when you can group with multiple ships and so being far more effective and secure assets (cargo, minerals...) by splitting them between ships?
It's the same design problem that has occurred in all multicrew as far back as I can remember (which, granted, is only the Bf1942 / Planetside 1 era). As such, since the people at CI¬G have no experience to speak of when it comes to game design and are too lost up their own orifices to be able to find their way to the internet and do some research, they're clueless about these decades-old facts.

Any N-crewed ship that isn't also N times more lethal and survivable than a one-man ship is inherently worthless because you're getting less bang for your manpower buck and also waste a ton of player on being that worthless.
Any N-crewed ship that isn't also less lethal and survivable than a one-man ship if the crew isn't present is also inherently overpowered because instead of filling it up with N crew, you could just bring N of them, single-crewed and reap the benefit of having that beefier ship.

You can't really make ship survivability a function of the number of crew (even with some kind of nonsensical engineer gameplay where one player keeps the ship working) in any sensible way without creating even larger balancing issues, so the only way to resolve that inherent design conflict is to make all multicrew ship incapable of offensive combat if not crewed. The pilot has no weapons; the first crewman has a big honking gun to make up for that; and not being able to split your fire or minimise the loss when a player dies is just the cost you pay for flying multicrew. If there's any notion of combat-repairs making any difference (they really won't — combat that lets that happen is too boring, so you do post-combat repairs when all crew slots can chip in anyway), then the same offensive-to-defensive scaling needs to happen to every weapon position. That makes for an even larger balancing nightmare, so the best option is to just dump that horrible idea from the start.

But here's a problem, doubly so when you decide to make P2W a core part of the gameplay like CI¬G has: who on earth will get a ship that leaves the pilot — the guy who bought the drat thing — completely ineffectual in combat? Even with some romantic notion of having teammates to fill the position, those won't be available all the time, and even when available, they will have their own things they want to do rather than make the pilot's money be worth anything. You also can't just fill the slots with AI crewmates because then we're back on square one: it's now a 1-crew ship (with AI) so there's no reason to multicrew it — any extra players are better spent on flying a extra ships. The only way to design a multicrew ship that has any semblance of balance and value in the game is to make sure it has no semblance of balance and value to the person buying the ship.

Goodie.

Agony_Aunt posted:

Nothing against team play. It can be cool. I'm just wondering how what is being discussed for SC will work in reality and how it will mesh with things like NPC crew and long travel times, etc.
It won't. CRobber has been to busy dreaming up totally-not-the-Millennium-Falcon-honest-guv' scenes that will be replayed in-game somehow, that he never bothered to figure out that “somehow” and the actual game design requirements and caveats to make that happen.

The guy coming to blow you to bits for bleeps and giggles doesn't care about the tension of you not finding your hydrospanner to repair the tachyon multicoupling so he's not going to give you the narrative pause in the action needed for that drama to play out. That only happens in scripted movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tippis posted:

You only have yourself to blame then…

Lol I was about to post "wow this star citizen actually gets it" and then I realized you were quoting yourself.

Yep, you're totally on the money here.

CIG's extremely unethical business model has kneecapped their gameplay design. The need to sell jpgs that punch above their weight has rendered the game unbalanced to the point of parody, with no way to reconcile that with what has already been sold.