Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "historic treasure"

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2-Landing-Rd-S-Higganum-CT-06441/200392967_zpid/ ca. 1775

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/85-Boston-St-Guilford-CT-06437/174500042_zpid/ "Thomas Burgis II House" (ca. 1707-1735)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/597-Main-St-Lumberton-NJ-08048/38110244_zpid/ "Reid Home" (1849)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/29-Roanoke-St-Pittsburgh-PA-15203/11475057_zpid/ "The Treehouse" (1875)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/85-Diamond-Hill-Rd-Redding-CT-06896/177178866_zpid/ "Benjamin Meeker Homestead" (1826)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/501-S-East-St-Culpeper-VA-22701/65225795_zpid/ "Hill Mansion" (1858)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/202-S-Main-St-West-Hartford-CT-06107/57783532_zpid/ "Gillett House" (ca. 1725)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/105-Middle-Haddam-Rd-East-Hampton-CT-06424/57855374_zpid/ "Shepherd's Hill" (1790)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/871-Braeburn-Rd-Inverness-IL-60067/3251934_zpid/ by Don Erickson, built in 1954

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/26800-Cash-Corner-Rd-Crisfield-MD-21817/37629564_zpid/ "Nelson Homestead" (ca. 1810). In the arms of an angel... This house is an unfortunate victim of global warming; the town of Crisfield MD is literally sinking, and this acreage this house is on has become swampland. In another decade or so it will be swallowed up by the burgeoning Johnson Creek....unless someone saves it. It (and its 8 acre soon-to-be-underwater property) is priced at $65,000 and that is almost certainly negotiable, making it a prime candidate to be moved and reassembled/repaired on higher ground elsewhere. So please, won't you be the hero that this old house needs? ...May you find some comfort here

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

This kind of stuff annoys me so much. Awesome little room, nice and cozy looking, but then you have those 2 couch cushions facing zippered side out that just ruins it all for me. How is that overlooked?

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

actionjackson posted:

If by integrated you mean a built-in wall oven, yeah that looks better but doing that is INSANELY expensive which is why you so rarely see it. It's probably a bit harsh to say that unless you have what is going to cost like 30-40K+ at an absolute minimum your kitchen is trash.

Are you talking about ovens like this?

They are like under 1000 bucks here. :confused:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Thanks for the advice folks, really appreciated. A few responses/comments/additional questions below:

Facebook Aunt posted:

This just seems like it fucks up your work triangle. Moving between the new fridge position and the sink is going to be annoying with that island always in the way. Adding steps. The new design is also less friendly to having 2 or 3 people doing stuff in the kitchen at once, if that is something that happens in your kitchen.
Honestly in the shape of this space the L seems to do what you want more elegantly than the island. The problem with the L is it makes access to that one cabinet difficult, but the new design removes that cabinet anyway -- once the cabinet is gone there's no need to remove the L. The island struggles to fit two stools that will be in the way, while the L comfortably fits 3 without being in the way. You're trading one wide walkway to the dining room for two narrow ones, that doesn't really seem like a gain to me either. You aren't gaining counter space or cupboard space, it's just change for the sake of change.

If you are committed to getting an island I wouldn't also move the fridge. Going around the island to move between the fridge, sink and stove just looks aggravating. Without the island moving the fridge is neutral, it does add a step or two but you gain some valuable counter space right next to the stove. I'd do one or the other, but not both.

Yep you nailed it at the usefulness of that one sole cabinet. And also you are correct about number of stools. The issue I have with fridge (and stove) in their current locations is that I hate the teeny 8" of space I have on one side of the stove, I'd like to have the fridge much further from stove more or less.

also worth noting that there's some recessed lights above the current peninsula that I was going to replace with pendants until.. I noticed that opening that cabinet door would hit one.

ntan1 posted:

Whoever is helping you isn't experienced enough and the advice they are giving you is not helpful.

A standard kitchen hallway length should be a minimum of 39" and would be best served at approximately 42", although 41" will work. 36" will feel too tight and is going to make your kitchen look small, which is not what you want. This advice comes from my architect as well, and I took this into consideration when doing my design. The minimum hallway in my kitchen counter to counter is 40" with the max being about 41-42" and it feels perfectly right.

The theory that people here are mentioning about a work triangle should be ignored when considering an island. The work triangle makes an assumption that there is no island. Because an Island is practical, folks will move things around and use the island as the surface for prep. So somebody would take vegetables out of a fridge, put it on the island, wash the vegetables and move it back to the cutting board on the island, etc. HOWEVER, your kitchen is too small for an island so you may need to actually think about work triangle without an island.

Here is what I would do. Fridge on right side, Sink where it is, Rangetop on left hand side on a peninsula counter, and pantry in the back opposite the sink. I would also put a wall oven next to the pantry.

Re spacing: its funny, even the website that is doing my design seems to have a tip page that is saying the same as you for ~40" spacing:

https://inspiredkitchendesign.com/common-design-mistakes-in-ikea-kitchens-islands/

.. but nothing was mentioned about it when I got this draft design. I know of one person that has an island with similar spacing, asked them to measure, and indeed it's 36". I do recall the diswhasher door being open in there and it's fine for loading/unloading, but you can't get past it, nor work in the same area with >1 person as you noted.

I was theorizing work triangle with island, and agree with it being somewhat null with an island. There's a direct walkway between the stove and sink, which seems more important than fridge and really anything else as yes, I'd set fridge crap on the island.

I like your thoughts for the general layout, unfortunately I bought all new appliances when I moved in a year ago as the house came with none. I'd guess I'd lose >50% if I had to resell and re-buy all of these, but we do have a few habitat restores in town which sometimes get good deals on those types of ovens and stovetops. The only thing that seems odd about the stove top on the peninsula is that's where stools would be too, so they'd be 'behind' the stove top.

So I guess my 'requirements' for kitchen after hearing feedback are:

1) more room around stove
2) counter height seating, 2-3
3) as few new appliances as possible, at least initially (replacing fridge with smaller one later would be acceptable)

Any other design ideas welcome here, although it feels like perhaps all options have been exhausted EXCEPT one on the back of my brain, which I don't have "drawn"

* Design i was given, minus island, but move fridge to 'top left' at end of counter. This counter would probably have to be shorter
* Obviously something different going on in pantry area. Probably just more of the same stuff that's over there now OR move the peninsula to that side?

Drawing it quick and unscientifically in ascii art looks like it ruins 'triangle' action though so maybe a meh too.

code:
                patio door
         +----------------------+
+-------------------------------------------+---------+---------------------------------------+
|                                           |         |        +--------+                     |
|                                           |         |        | sink   |                     |
|                                           |         |        +--------+                     |
|                                           | fridge  +--------------------------------+      |
|                                           |         |                                |      |
| +----+        +----------+                +---------+                                |      |
| |    |        |          |                                                           +------+
| |    |        |          |                                                           |stove |
| side |        | Kitchen  |                                                           |      |
| board|        | Table    |                                                           +------+
| |    |        |          |                  +--------+                               |      |
| |    |        |          |                  |        |                               |      |
| |    |        |          |              +-+ |        |                               |      |
| |    |        |          |              +-+ |        |                               |      |
| +----+        |          |                  |        |                               +------+
|               +----------+              +-+ | peninsula                                     |
|                                         +-+ |        |                                      |
|                                             |        +------------------------+             |
|                                         +-+ |        |                        |             |
|                                         +-+ |        |                        |             |
|                                             |        |        pantry          |             |
+---------------------------------------------+--------+------------------------+-------------+

Edit: also just found a design they did that more or less has my same current layout (except fridge) and they redid it to be almost the same, but slightly better, which perhaps represents 'keep current layout except fridge' idea. More than anything they removed the hard to reach cabinets and made the peninsula thicker?

https://inspiredkitchendesign.com/a-colorado-style-big-space-ikea-kitchen/

falz fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 1, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Doll House Ghost posted:

Are you talking about ovens like this?

They are like under 1000 bucks here. :confused:

are you in Europe? As I said, this is including the cost to remodel the kitchen, i.e. remove the existing cabinetry and put in new cabinetry that is custom designed to fit the appliances.

Most kitchens in the US do not have built-in appliances, unless they are very recent and expensive.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

1. That chair looks like it will skitter away as soon as you can only see it in your peripheral vision. I kind of love it and I also definitely hate it

2. I'm the vacuformed torso

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

actionjackson posted:

are you in Europe? As I said, this is including the cost to remodel the kitchen, i.e. remove the existing cabinetry and put in new cabinetry that is custom designed to fit the appliances.

Most kitchens in the US do not have built-in appliances, unless they are very recent and expensive.

I'm genuinely struggling to understand your perspective (on a lot of things), hoping you can clarify. Help me understand why built-in appliances require custom cabinetry? As someone in the US who has been through the process a couple of times, that has not been my experience at all. From my experience, built-ins come in both standard and non-standard sizes. Standard size built-ins are usually the same or incrementally more expensive than free-standing. The sky's the limit on non-standard sizes. At least locally, standard sized built-ins are fairly common on mid-tier priced homes. Upper tier homes more often than not contain the non-standard sized appliances, but even the non-standard sized appliances have fairly consistent sizes to avoid the scenario you're playing out - having to replace all of the cabinetry when your fridge or wall oven dies.

The only thing I can think of where we're misaligned is on the definition of 'built-in'. I know I sound like a jerk on most of your posts, but I genuinely don't understand your perspective. And I don't think I'm the only one.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I'm guessing it's to mean that most houses have a standard 30" gap for any range to slide in, while almost none have a hole in the pantry wall to push an oven in to. So changing to that requires also re doing cabinets and hence costs a lot more.

I'd guess they're mostly standard sizes, just far from the norm ityool 2020.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

The only thing I can think of where we're misaligned is on the definition of 'built-in'. I know I sound like a jerk on most of your posts, but I genuinely don't understand your perspective. And I don't think I'm the only one.

The perspective is "I said something that was totally wrong and now I'm gonna keep digging in" (oh, they really aren't much more expensive uh....uhhh....yeah, lets say you have to add the cost of a kitchen reno too!)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

No problem I'll try to explain more.

Almost all kitchens in the US have standard size cabinetry with 24" depth, and spaces to insert a fridge, a range, a microwave with a vent above the range, and a dishwasher.

In the case of all (but the dishwasher perhaps), these are independent of the cabinetry - you can pretty much put in whatever fits. Also most importantly, they are deeper than the counters, so they tend to stick out somewhat.

"Built-in" here usually means the following:

fridge - the fridge is completely flush with the cabinetry, i.e. 24" deep. They tend to be wider as well to make up for the lack of depth. And instead of like with a stand-alone fridge where there are some gaps between the fridge and the cabinetry, wall, etc. the built-in fridges fit in perfectly with no real gaps. They often will have optional front panels that go on the fridge to match existing cabinetry, so it doesn't even look like there's a fridge there. This brand is probably the most well known for this in the US

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero/full-size-refrigeration

the pictures on that page show what I'm referring to. These fridges tend to be at least 8-10K. By comparison a stand-alone fridge in the US is usually going to be in the 1-3K range.

ovens - most US kitchens have a range, i.e. an oven with a stovetop that slides into what is most commonly a 30" wide gap. The oven tends to stick out a bit from the cabinetry, i.e. it is typically more like ~26" deep. The microwave above the stovetop, which also will have a vent on it, also tends to stick out.

A "built-in" solution would again be something that fits right into the cabinetry flush, like in the picture above. These are called "wall ovens." You have to get specific cabinetry to fit your oven arrangement, for example:

space for two ovens
space for one oven (and a space for a microwave elsewhere)
space for an oven and microwave together

in any of these configurations, you have a separate stovetop and range hood for ventilation.

So as opposed to range + microwave with ventilation, you have the quite a bit more expensive wall oven + separate cooktop + ventilation for the cooktop + built-in microwave

Based on what I've heard from places that do this, and people that do this, is to replace what is a typical US kitchen setup with this kind of setup is about 30K at an absolute minimum. I even asked a place to give me a quote for my very small kitchen, and this was around what I was quoted.

Motronic posted:

The perspective is "I said something that was totally wrong and now I'm gonna keep digging in" (oh, they really aren't much more expensive uh....uhhh....yeah, lets say you have to add the cost of a kitchen reno too!)

no idea why I even bother but I never said a wall oven was 30K

actionjackson posted:

If by integrated you mean a built-in wall oven, yeah that looks better but doing that is INSANELY expensive which is why you so rarely see it. It's probably a bit harsh to say that unless you have what is going to cost like 30-40K+ at an absolute minimum your kitchen is trash.

"doing that" is the process involved in having a new kitchen layout that let's you use wall ovens and such. For the vast vast majority of US kitchens, that means a complete transformation to a built-in setup.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 1, 2020

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
My grandmother's inexpensive kitchen from between 1977 and 1983 had a wall oven and separate cook top. They're less common but no more expensive. It different cabinetry than you'd have for a separate freestanding appliance, but doesn't need to be custom built. Ikea sells them....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

"doing that" is the process involved in having a new kitchen layout that let's you use wall ovens and such. For the vast vast majority of US kitchens, that means a complete transformation to a built-in setup.

The kitchen in question that started this was 10 feet of already painted builder grade cabinets. All you need is a SINGLE replacement 30" cabinet in a style that is very obvious still available from a big box store. And in fact doesn't even NEED to be a style because it would be a flat face front to be cut for the built in oven. Then paint it to match. If you want double wall ovens it's more work because you'd need to remove some of the top cabinets but it's still not a $30k reno. Then put on new countertop and you're done.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

actionjackson posted:

No problem I'll try to explain more.

Almost all kitchens in the US have standard size cabinetry with 24" depth, and spaces to insert a fridge, a range, a microwave with a vent above the range, and a dishwasher.

In the case of all (but the dishwasher perhaps), these are independent of the cabinetry - you can pretty much put in whatever fits. Also most importantly, they are deeper than the counters, so they tend to stick out somewhat.

fridge - the fridge is completely flush with the cabinetry, i.e. 24" deep. They tend to be wider as well to make up for the lack of depth. And instead of like with a stand-alone fridge where there are some gaps between the fridge and the cabinetry, wall, etc. the built-in fridges fit in perfectly with no real gaps. They often will have optional front panels that go on the fridge to match existing cabinetry, so it doesn't even look like there's a fridge there. This brand is probably the most well known for this in the US

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/sub-zero/full-size-refrigeration

the pictures on that page show what I'm referring to. These fridges tend to be at least 8-10K. By comparison a stand-alone fridge in the US is usually going to be in the 1-3K range.

ovens - most US kitchens have a range, i.e. an oven with a stovetop that slides into what is most commonly a 30" wide gap. The oven tends to stick out a bit from the cabinetry, i.e. it is typically more like ~26" deep. The microwave above the stovetop, which also will have a vent on it, also tends to stick out.

A "built-in" solution would again be something that fits right into the cabinetry flush, like in the picture above. These are called "wall ovens." You have to get specific cabinetry to fit your oven arrangement, for example:

space for two ovens
space for one oven (and a space for a microwave elsewhere)
space for an oven and microwave together

in any of these configurations, you have a separate stovetop and range hood for ventilation.

Based on what I've heard from places that do this, and people that do this, is to replace what is a typical US kitchen setup with this kind of setup is about 30K at an absolute minimum.

no idea why I even bother but I never said a wall oven was 30K

I appreciate the explanation. If I am understanding your perspective, built-ins are only flush/counter deep and/or only contain matching panels and/or are not a traditional retail size.

My definition (and I think others' as well) are not as restrictive as yours. If the appliance is mounted to the cabinetry, like a standard wall oven/microwave, it's a built in. A counter mounted cooktop is a built-in. A slide in range is a built-in. A freestanding range is not. A portable dishwasher is not. A standalone microwave is not.

I get what you're saying on Fridges. There's a whole selection of counter-depth fridges that accept cabinet panels that are not built-in. Those counter-depth fridges come in fairly standard sizes so that you don't have to replace the cabinetry. That's what you're going to find in most mid-tier homes where the rest of the appliances are "built-in".

I also am picking up that you may be implying replacing appliances outside of the current tier will require new cabinetry. If you're going from a freestanding range to a slide-in, then yes you're going to need to address your countertops. If you're going from a SubZero or Wolf to a Whirlpool, then yes you're going to need to address the hole in the cabinetry.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but as Motronic mentioned, you tend to ask questions or make blanket statements with minimal context, then argue with anyone who engages you. As people engage, you provide more detail that would have been nice in the original post. It comes across as goalpost moving so that you maintain your position. The net actionjackson experience is that everyone else is a dummy and doesn't know what they're talking about and/or victim card played because everyone is misunderstanding you. Which leaves people wondering why you keep asking questions when you clearly have an answer and aren't willing to accept or consider a different (frequently more commonly accepted or logical) one.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 1, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A slide-in range is not mounted to the cabinetry though. It's basically the same as freestanding except the sides might not be finished.

My definition, and this is what I see online as well, is it's basically "part" of the cabinetry and is 24" deep so it's perfectly flush. Anything called a wall oven would fit this definition.

My local place has four categories: slide-in, freestanding, compact, and built-in.

My 30K+ estimate was for changing a standard US kitchen to one with built-in appliances. This is what I've been quoted, and a few of my rich boomer neighbors mentioned this is what they spent. All our units came with GE profile appliances, which were the fridge, slide-in gas range, over the range microwave and dishwasher.

They may have had to make some other alterations to the structure to, I'm not sure. For example the side wall that comes out to like 30.5 inches that covers one side of the existing fridge would not be necessary with a built-in, and look ridiculous. I'm not sure though because they may not have been allowed to change that.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 1, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'll do us all a favor and utilize the ignore functionality. Good luck on whatever you're trying to do.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what in the world

falz
Jan 29, 2005

In attempt to change the thread from its current downward spiral into possibly a different downward spiral, what are peoples hot takes on painting brick fireplaces?

Mine is this really ugly pink colour, in the past I'd be against it since it can't be undone, but this colour may have changed my mind.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

falz look at your last kitchen post, can't you just skip the peninsula/island/etc. for now and decide if you actually need that extra seating? you already have a dining table.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

actionjackson posted:

falz look at your last kitchen post, can't you just skip the peninsula/island/etc. for now and decide if you actually need that extra seating? you already have a dining table.

Aa previously stated, I desire casual counter height seating separate from more formal dinner seating, I don't need them all to be occupied at the same time. They're for separate purposes, counter is used 90% of the time.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

actionjackson posted:

Also most importantly, they are deeper than the counters, so they tend to stick out somewhat.

Which looks unequivocally like hell.

actionjackson posted:

We differ here at least as far as fridges: IKEA and every other kitchen seller offers standard 60cm width built in fridges which get integrated behind a standard cupboard door, so disappearing into the rest of the kitchen.

They’re cheaper than any standalone fridge with a non-white finish.

actionjackson posted:

But for a new kitchen that doesn’t cost any more at all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

falz posted:

Aa previously stated, I desire casual counter height seating separate from more formal dinner seating, I don't need them all to be occupied at the same time. They're for separate purposes, counter is used 90% of the time.

In that case I think the peninsula is a much better option because you have one area to enter the kitchen that is plenty wide enough, instead of the island which has two entries, neither of which are wide enough.

wooger posted:

Which looks unequivocally like hell.

Oh I absolutely agree, which is why I'm going to get a counter depth fridge when I replace my fridge, microwave and oven in the next few months. Also for the oven only the door part will really stick out (the oven is 24" depth by itself). My current oven is so cheap that it doesn't really even have the recessed area for where the gas is, so it sticks out from the wall a couple inches. The microwave protrudes about 2-3 inches.

That side wall next to my fridge is 30.5 inches, and the fridge I want to get is only 28.5 inches deep, so that will be a big improvement.

quote:

But for a new kitchen that doesn’t cost any more at all.

What I meant was comparing, using my kitchen as an example

a) replacing the current appliances with other non-built-in appliances, which will look somewhat better than what I have now, but definitely not be the same as the "euro" look. this is going to be about 3k for me everything included.

b) getting the built-in style, which would require changing not only all the appliances, but the cabinetry, and in my case might require modification to the substructure (if that's the right word).

I should also mention that I got new countertops last year, and I was told that if I remodeled the kitchen, I'd probably have to also replace the countertop I just purchased. If I hadn't done this already I might have been a bit more interested.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 1, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

falz posted:

In attempt to change the thread from its current downward spiral into possibly a different downward spiral, what are peoples hot takes on painting brick fireplaces?
I generally hate it, but if you can't sand it off...

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

falz posted:

Mine is this really ugly pink colour, in the past I'd be against it since it can't be undone, but this colour may have changed my mind.

See my "whitewashed" post a few pages back.

(don't do it)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Box it in in sheetrock, then cover in painted brick design wallpaper.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

"Don't do it, you can't take it back" is the product of an overly consumerist influence that makes people worry more about how they'd be able to sell their home in some nebulous future rather than enjoying their home right now.

Paint the brick if you want to paint the brick. It's fine. You can also enclose it in drywall or cover it in tile. There are a lot of options. Do what you'll enjoy.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My absolute favorite post from action Jackson was the one where someone moved into a new house and was asking about paint colors. He said, “didn’t the previous owners give you the paint number breakdowns when you moved in?” I’d like a survey of anyone here moving into a new apartment or house, were rgb colors on the wall a part of the transaction?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Calypso posted:

My absolute favorite post from action Jackson was the one where someone moved into a new house and was asking about paint colors. He said, “didn’t the previous owners give you the paint number breakdowns when you moved in?” I’d like a survey of anyone here moving into a new apartment or house, were rgb colors on the wall a part of the transaction?

The previous owners of my place left photocopies of the paint labels and wrote down where they were used, I guess I just got lucky. When I sell I will definitely do the same, just seems like a nice thing to do :)

I think when they built this place they were provided to the original owners

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Calypso posted:

I wish I had written this down for my future self when painting previously, let alone pass it forward.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

falz posted:

Two words: plasterwork.

e: Thing I learned a minute ago: not every place uses RAL for paint colours.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 1, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Calypso posted:

I’d like a survey of anyone here moving into a new apartment or house, were rgb colors on the wall a part of the transaction?

Along with two Uhaul vans full of acids, chemicals, fertilizers, and other materials that I had to take to the home toxics drop off center, the previous owner (a semi-famous biophysicist with a penchant for gardening, and not Ted Kaczynski) left about a half dozen old cans of paint with the Sherwin-Williams color info on them. Naturally, only one of them was actually still in use, but I did get more of it to repaint parts of the exterior!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

Along with two Uhaul vans full of acids, chemicals, fertilizers, and other materials that I had to take to the home toxics drop off center, the previous owner (a semi-famous biophysicist with a penchant for gardening, and not Ted Kaczynski) left about a half dozen old cans of paint with the Sherwin-Williams color info on them. Naturally, only one of them was actually still in use, but I did get more of it to repaint parts of the exterior!!

Ted Kaczynski was a mathematician.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

falz posted:

If you hate it every time you look at it, paint it/cover it with tile/etc to make you happy.

That said, I think you can make it feel less... whatever that is by using some complementary or near-complementary colors with/near it. Kinda like how navy makes obnoxiously orange-stained "oak" cabinets not be so obnoxious. Teal, sage, robin's egg blue, maybe even mustard would probably take the emphasis away from it. I think going all earth-toned southwest colors (oranges, warm browns, etc) might disguise the pinkness if you put enough, like, terracotta pots around it.

I don't think you should feel bad plastering it over if you find something you like better.

(I say this having a house from 1963 with original dark wood cabinets and yellow bathrooms that everybody tells me to paint, but I love them so they stay as I'll never get those original fixtures back.) The kitchen has a rangetop and built-in double ovens and it added so little cost that every house I've seen in my subdivision, even those who remodeled and changed the layout over the past 50+ years, kept the concept.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

update on my friends in Seattle, they have chosen kiwi paint for their living room

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6737-kiwi

not that looking at paint on a computer monitor is that realistic, but it does seem to go really well with slate-like colors

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Too long has this thread strayed from it's roots: finding truly weird houses to ogle. Behold the Versailles of Northern Texas!

For Rent Only You filthy peasants could never afford to buy such majesty.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like everything except the kitchen, the bog, and the tub.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Calypso posted:

When I sell a house, I leave paint cans marked with what rooms they were used in. Even if the paint goes bad, at least they've got the code on the lid.

But yeah, I reckon it's not very common, especially since it takes a certain kind of smug to think they aren't just gonna paint over all your meticulously chosen paint colors day one.

My favorite paint question here so far was the guy asking what 'that color that new houses are painted' was. Like he legitimately thought there was just like, Sherwin Williams "New Townhome Beige" that we'd be able to direct him towards.

Guy, if you're reading this thread, I mean no offense. We all start somewhere.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

My favorite paint question here so far was the guy asking what 'that color that new houses are painted' was.

Red. Wasn't hard.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Greene & Greene". Homes designed by or inspired by the early 20th century architectural firm Greene & Greene, which spearheaded the Arts & Crafts movement in California.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3616-Fellowship-Rd-Middleton-WI-53562/68487813_zpid/ built in 2004

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/173-Highland-Pl-Monrovia-CA-91016/21577159_zpid/ "The Everest Home" by Arthur Kelly (1909)

Batchelder tile fireplace #1

Batchelder tile fireplace #2

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1505-Clearview-Ln-Santa-Ana-CA-92705/25510575_zpid/ What happens when you combine my two favorite things, Arts & Crafts and 1970s contemporary? ...Kinda underwhelming tbh.
helluva view though

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/903-N-5th-Ave-Tucson-AZ-85705/8483393_zpid/ Fixer-upper in Tucson, AZ designed by Arthur Heineman (1908)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4249-Wild-Turkey-Way-Johns-Island-SC-29455/110223186_zpid/ by Jim Thomas (2009)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/575-S-Grand-Ave-Pasadena-CA-91105/20858498_zpid/ by B. Marshall Wotkyns (1911)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/135-Mountain-Arrow-Dr-Camden-ME-04843/91859994_zpid/ Absolutely beautiful Arts & Crafts mansion in Maine (2012)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/402-Lynn-Dr-Ventura-CA-93003/16329301_zpid/ Greene & Greene home built 1923-1924 with 1930s-40s additions

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1188-Hillcrest-Ave-Pasadena-CA-91106/20700163_zpid/ an unusual long, low Greene & Greene house with Asian influences (ca. 1911)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Calypso posted:

I’d like a survey of anyone here moving into a new apartment or house, were rgb colors on the wall a part of the transaction?

I got multiple 5gal buckets of paints mostly in shades that weren't used on this house at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We had every paint can that was used in the last 50 years in our basement, I think one or two were labeled.

I’d give that up if they also didn’t leave us a leaking pipe in the guest bathroom ceiling that they absolutely had to know about but hid behind new drywall.