Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Excellent, thanks everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Not downplaying any other fantastic roguelikes, but Cogmind is such a hugely deep and lovingly created work of art. I've never persisted for so long in trying to get a game to "click" purely out of love of the concept and deep respect for the execution. Especially when I see the lone developer pumping out update after update and posting four hour long gameplay videos.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Rappaport posted:

You can turn into a bee in Nethack, but it's not permanent and also probably wouldn't be all that interesting to play as.

There's a tool-assisted speedrun of NetHack that, among other things, slaughters its way through the Castle by using a queen bee's poisoned stinger to one-shot everyone. Though before it does that, first it has to create a colossal amount of negative gold to solve the fact that the bee's carrying capacity is best described as "pathetic".

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, he's said that he'll continue to develop Cogmind indefinitely as long as the patron money keeps coming in. I remember him posting about being able to finally make it his proper day-job.

(This is great and all, but I really think he should push 1.0 out on steam because people are missing out)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Magitek posted:

Guys, quick, this is important: Are there any Roguelikes where you play as/have the option to play as a bee?

In Caves of Qud you can be the host to a Portable Beehive.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do Tome addons from the site update automatically or do I need to redownload everything?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magitek posted:

Guys, quick, this is important: Are there any Roguelikes where you play as/have the option to play as a bee?

There's a kind of Beemancer in Mad Jack's game, isn't there?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I know the dev has said it's not doable, for some reason, but I strongly think that Cogmind would benefit from having all the special modes selectable from an in-game menu. Editing Steam launch configurations doesn't feel good and looking up the different options is just enough of a hassle that I simply leave it on RPGlike mode all the time.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

snagged one of these at the Stilt early my current run and it's been a lifesaver

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

bees x1000 posted:

I know the dev has said it's not doable, for some reason, but I strongly think that Cogmind would benefit from having all the special modes selectable from an in-game menu. Editing Steam launch configurations doesn't feel good and looking up the different options is just enough of a hassle that I simply leave it on RPGlike mode all the time.

Yeah, it feels kind of weird to have these super high-effort, fleshed out alternate modes that'd you'd never even know existed without looking it up online.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

From what I remember it's doable, he just doesn't want to change the way the game immediately starts you into a new run

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ok, there's an understandable positive, but I don't believe it's worth the negatives.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The way Noita handled it for a long time was that you got dumped into a new run on launch, but you could pause and choose to play a different mode from there if you wanted, which would re-launch the game with the appropriate settings applied.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

That would work, especially if you could choose the default launch mode.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Could even put the mode selection in a terminal that spawns in the initial safe zone when a run starts. Like you're hacking the game or something.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can also play a character with wings and a stinger and a carapace if you want.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

be your own bee

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unormal posted:

You can also play a character with wings and a stinger and a carapace if you want.

Can you set your wings to be insect-like rather than feathered or leathery? I remember a recent patch did that for horns, but I'm not sure if it covered wings.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Qud bee people who drink honey instead of water when

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

be your own bee

https://youtu.be/JWg99iUmsA4

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Robo Reagan posted:

Do Tome addons from the site update automatically or do I need to redownload everything?

I've never in however many years (I had a te4.org account before it was even on steam) had to manually update an add on for ToME, so you should be good. Given 1.7 has been in beta for a while, I think most of the modders have already updated their stuff.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wildtortilla posted:

So I'm playing Tangledeep. Just ran through a wanderer's journey/story thing and I'm back at the camp with a sweet relic sword as my reward. Except I'm all in on fists. I can't deposit it in my bank, despite the bank not being full and having twice the required deposit fee.

Can anyone explain what's preventing me from depositing this sword? I'd love to stash it away and use it on a later character.

I like this game but documentation about playing it seems to be scarce.
I don't know but there is a Tangledeep thread and I figure while the devs certainly read this thread they're even more likely to read that one, that's all I got for ya :shobon:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know but there is a Tangledeep thread and I figure while the devs certainly read this thread they're even more likely to read that one, that's all I got for ya :shobon:

I posted on Reddit and the dev responded almost immediately. He's pushing a new patch for Switch soon that might help me. In the mean time I'm playing Mario Odyssey and Dark Souls. I need a palette cleanse after almost six months of roguelikes exclusively.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I am a lazy gamer and I really like the autoexplore in DCSS. Are there other roguelikes with a similar system where the movement can be automated, but everything else can be done manually?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I am a lazy gamer and I really like the autoexplore in DCSS. Are there other roguelikes with a similar system where the movement can be automated, but everything else can be done manually?

ToME and Dungeonmans.

Every roguelike should have autoexplore. :colbert:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Qud

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Qud has autoexplore but it's not optimized for area revelation so you'll end up running back and forth from side to side of the map repeatedly until you uncover all the tiles one by one.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jack Trades posted:

ToME and Dungeonmans.

Every roguelike should have autoexplore. :colbert:

Dungeonmans has "auto move to discovered stairs" but it explicitly does not have a TOME/Crawl style auto explore.

(I agree with the second sentence too but I remember MadJack having his reasons and DMans is Still Great).

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

imo, autoexplore is a sign a roguelike has too much empty space. like, nethack doesn't have autoexplore, but because the floors are less than a quarter of the size of the ones in DCSS, that isn't really a problem.

perc2
May 16, 2020

I don't think DCSS has too much space, the dungeon levels are just the right balance for progression and challenge, it's just autoexplore helps to speed up your run and hit decision points quickly once you know what you're doing. Autoexplore is good, but unfortunately it's not present in games like Angband where level size and quantity really is tedium, despite best efforts to whittle it down over the years.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's not just a sign of empty space, but also that the game doesn't reward decision making in the absence of obvious threats. Like, in Dungeonmans, you may want to put some banners down pre-emptively, before you see an enemy, so that you don't have to spend turns on casting the banners while there's something attacking you. Or you might use the scroll that reveals enemies on the map, keep an eye on said map as you explore so you know when a group has peeled off and is homing in on your position, and choose your battleground accordingly.

Neither of these things is necessarily mandatory to beat the game, but they can give you an advantage when done at the right time, at the cost of using resources (monster detection scrolls in particular are much too rare to use on every level). Getting a leg up can turn a difficult encounter into a much more straightforward one, or an impossible encounter into one that's merely difficult.

EDIT:

perc2 posted:

I don't think DCSS has too much space, the dungeon levels are just the right balance for progression and challenge, it's just autoexplore helps to speed up your run and hit decision points quickly once you know what you're doing. Autoexplore is good, but unfortunately it's not present in games like Angband where level size and quantity really is tedium, despite best efforts to whittle it down over the years.

Yeah, see, this is what I'm talking about. You cannot implement autoexplore in Angband, full stop, without completely changing what kind of game it is. Angband is a game about creeping around in an immensely dangerous dungeon where most of the enemies can kill you trivially if you don't approach in the right fashion (or oftentimes don't approach at all!). Blundering around the dungeon at the whims of a simplistic AI will get you killed.

Autoexplore is good for games that are designed with autoexplore in mind. It is not appropriate for all games, and people extolling its virtues are the roguelike equivalent of players asking for every game to have multiplayer.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 1, 2020

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

perc2 posted:

See, I think that there shouldn't be a large enough gap between decision points for a way to quickly skip from one to the next to be necessary. That's what I mean by "empty space".

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep, if your game has an autoexplore feature and it's even considered 'good', then you have a problem in your design of the game. If the reason people really play the game is combat, loot and progression, and not exploration/immersion, the game would be better as a series of encounters, like Slay the Spire o Darkest Dungeon. Or at least make smaller areas.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 1, 2020

perc2
May 16, 2020

Elephant Parade posted:

See, I think that there shouldn't be a large enough gap between decision points for a way to quickly skip from one to the next to be necessary. That's what I mean by "empty space".

DCSS needs to give the player space so they can maneuver tactically, teleport with a degree of safety, etc. The dungeons floors are still sufficiently compact and feature-rich. It's not a problem, and autoexplore isn't fixing any "problem", it's complementing the design and streamlining. Nobody thinks DCSS dungeon size and features are its weak point. It's a good observation that "autoexplore is a crutch" but you can't just throw it at everything.

perc2
May 16, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Autoexplore is good for games that are designed with autoexplore in mind. It is not appropriate for all games, and people extolling its virtues are the roguelike equivalent of players asking for every game to have multiplayer.

It's absolutely not the same as "asking for every game to have multiplayer", and you might want to check the logic in your argument since you have just extolled its virtues by saying it has positive virtues in the previous sentence.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Set your travel/explore speed to -1 and it all happens instantaneously, jumping you from fight to fight. Then you get to use the space to play around in. Being able to play stupidly fast like that is one of the things I still like about the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

perc2 posted:

It's absolutely not the same as "asking for every game to have multiplayer", and you might want to check the logic in your argument since you have just extolled its virtues by saying it has positive virtues in the previous sentence.

Multiplayer has virtues, but that doesn't mean that every game should have multiplayer. By the same token, autoexplore has virtues, but that doesn't mean that every game should have autoexplore.

You're perfectly free to only play games that have autoexplore. Have at it! I'm glad you're having fun! But when you say a game like Angband should have autoexplore, you're betraying a fairly fundamental misapprehension of what kind of game Angband is.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im going to auto explore this thread until i run into a good post again, smirk smirk

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I would like to say that TOME would be virtually unplayable to me without autoexplore, manually walking around those dungeon levels is such a chore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm getting a weird sense of nostalgia playing TOME4 blasting through the early game only to absolutely eat poo poo to Urkis.