Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

wife found these at the grocery outlet

rugenfisch smoked herring. one of the bestest tinned fish I've ever had. a solid 4/5 because nothing in the material realm is perfect

hehe yeah take it off

big hunks of fish, good texture, not melty not dry. not too smokey, not to bland, a little fishy, and a little too salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love that slide off packaging. Real neat!

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Dads, today I finally found a store locally that sells KO mackerel and picked some up.

I also just scarfed a few cold Riga Golds out of the fridge jar, life is good.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

just ate a tin of delicious el manar dines in harissa :yum:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

barbecue at the folks posted:

I just emptied a jar of Järki Särki, or "Smart Roach" (the fish, not bugs):

The idea is that Finnish lakes are literally overflowing with särki but people are too snooty to eat it since it is perceived to be "trash fish". (In the olden times särki was what you ate when you were poor and couldn't afford better.) Meanwhile we are importing tuna from endangered fisheries by the boatload, contributing to Sea Death, so the people at Järki Särki decided to create a local product out of the normally discarded särki catch that would beat anything imported in taste.

It just might be the best drat canned fish product I have ever tasted! If you ever come this way, buy a jar or two, you won't be disappointed.

That's pretty neat, there were efforts in the past to market plentiful but unpopular native fish here (upper midwest US) but they all fizzled out. Canned White Sucker (Catostomus commersonii) is delicious, people who prepare it at home call it names like "Winnebago Salmon" and put up dozens of jars of it every spring.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I made some chicken liver paté today with livers from the farm where we get our eggs. Turned out great, can't wait to eat fully half of it on sourdough toast with raw red onion tomorrow!

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sock it to me! posted:

I made some chicken liver paté today with livers from the farm where we get our eggs. Turned out great, can't wait to eat fully half of it on sourdough toast with raw red onion tomorrow!

THIS IS NOT THE THREAD FOR... oh yeah paté rules, I'm quite jealous

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The Minerva fish pate's are pretty good. It's like cat food but for people.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Last night, I went to my brother in law's new bar. We had some tinned fish snacks along with our cocktails, which were served with a loaf of crusty warm bread, some grainy mustard, and a few pickled peppers.

I tried the mackerel, which was fine, but the one I found to be most interesting that I had not had before were Lulas these little squid stuffed with rice and spices. Very yummy. I have had Nuri before, and I don't usually eat tuna due to it not being sustainable, but I ended up snagging a sampler pack as I didn't know if any of these were particularly hard to get:

Doobie says Good N Messy, eat it with a fork:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Those are some truly impressive bugger grips on that Tenorio guy.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Planet X posted:

Last night, I went to my brother in law's new bar. We had some tinned fish snacks along with our cocktails, which were served with a loaf of crusty warm bread, some grainy mustard, and a few pickled peppers.

Do you have any idea where he got the Lulas? A quick search has not revealed anything. Those sound really good to someone who already loves calamari.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

The Minerva fish pate's are pretty good. It's like cat food but for people.

i got a riga gold pate tin by mistake once and it's exactly like you describe, cat food for people. Except it was absolutely disgusting

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Edit: answer below

Planet X fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 14, 2020

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Flint Ironstag posted:

Do you have any idea where he got the Lulas? A quick search has not revealed anything. Those sound really good to someone who already loves calamari.

Reporting back, he says they're available here:

https://portugaliamarketplace.com/

Specifically,

https://portugaliamarketplace.com/collections/squid

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Outstanding! Thanks for that! Off to go order some now.

Update, my order arrived yesterday, and I tried a can today. drat, that is some good stuff. Expensive for canned seafood, but very, very good. Arrived quicker to TX than I was expecting, too.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 20, 2020

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Just ate some sardines over the sink as god intended. But I'm thinking of ordering some portuguese brands online to class up a bit

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Had a tin of smoked trout over rice for lunch and I highly recommend it. Will totally trout it up again.

https://colesseafood.com/shop-online/smoked-trout

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Found a store that carries Portuguese dines outside of Belas, grabbed some cans of Nuris and Moritz. Much bigger than my normal King Oscars but so very tasty. Worth the extra $2 a can.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Just ate some sardines over the sink as god intended. But I'm thinking of ordering some portuguese brands online to class up a bit

A friend, who thought he didn't like sardines, finally ate the can of KO meds I gave him 2 weeks ago. Just texted me to tell me how good they are. While he isn't a goon, he is now one of us. He even ate his first can the way I suggested, with nothing else, over the sink, as god intended.

naem
May 29, 2011

Flint Ironstag posted:

A friend, who thought he didn't like sardines, finally ate the can of KO meds I gave him 2 weeks ago. Just texted me to tell me how good they are. While he isn't a goon, he is now one of us. He even ate his first can the way I suggested, with nothing else, over the sink, as god intended.

https://i.imgur.com/QzHlLRj.gifv

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I ate a bunch of fried roundhead caught from the surf in VA last week and they were loving delicious. They're a little too big to be sardines but they're also a little too small to filet commercially, and the stocks must be in pretty good shape because I've never seen a haul like this of just roundhead from a few days of surf fishing. If you know how to eat a smallish fish that's still full of inedible bones they're the best tasting fish you'll catch in the surf here imo. Except maybe a flounder, but they're overfished. Blue fish can get out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This thread is hella old so I don't know if I've posted in it before but I enjoy a good spicy sardine and have a few cans a week of them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Android Apocalypse posted:

Flower brand Moroccan sardines in tomato sauce on top of zoodles. All heated in the office microwave & topped with Parmesan cheese because there's nobody else around.

I need to completely drain the zoodles next time.

Oh word the spiced sardines I like are Flower brand. They are really good.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now that I think of it, there is a Russian grocer like 20 blocks down Geary from me and I think I'm going to go and see what tinned fish they have and grab a few cans tomorrow before work.

Duck Stab!
Oct 21, 2020

HERE I COME, CONSTANTINOPLE!

I had some bomb-rear end canned mackerel sandwiches for dinner. :coolfish:

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Flint Ironstag posted:

King Oscar is an excellent way to introduce people to sardines...a lot of people try like, Starkist packed in water and don't understand what it's like to have a truly transcendent sardine.

I had a pack of Briosa packed in tomato sauce the other day. They were a little dry but the tomato sauce was amazing. Gonna look for more packed in tomato sauce now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Found these in the refrigerated fish section of Whole Foods:

Pretty tasty out of the package. Took about 1/2, chopped them up, and utilized the oil to make a salad:

The flavor itself is pretty intense so no other seasoning was necessary. 10/10 would'dine again.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Won myself some KO swag, I know a few people here have done the same in the past, how long does it generally take to arrive?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
bought a tin of Nuri in tomato sauce from World Market on a whim the other day, and those are some drat good dines. a nice departure from my usual KOs in olive oil. they had other kinds there but I didn't really get a closer look, gonna try some other ones next time I head over there

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Won myself some KO swag, I know a few people here have done the same in the past, how long does it generally take to arrive?

I won first place in a haiku contest and after they told me I won it showed up like a week later

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 31, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Keith Atherton posted:

I won first place in a haiku contest and after they told me I won it showed up like a week later

post the winning haiku

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

poverty goat posted:

post the winning haiku

It was something like:

Sardines with a fork

Over the sink

In my underwear

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Keith Atherton posted:

It was something like:

Sardines with a fork

Over the sink

In my underwear

how did they get in your underwear

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Dinner yesterday was a sardine and fried egg sandwich with yellow mustard on bread I baked the day before. The egg yolk was a little runnier that it could have been. Still, good sandwich.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My wife surprised the family with a box of canned herring, Coho salmon, King salmon, and smoked octopus. Plus kelp pickles, salmon caviar, and spruce tip jelly.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I bought some squid as a result of this thread

not my favorite

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Empty Sandwich posted:

I bought some squid as a result of this thread

not my favorite

Was it fresh or canned? If the latter, what brand?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Omg I just had a genius idea to make okonomiyaki with canned fishies and/or oysters.

I used fresh squid the last time I made it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Keith Atherton posted:

Dig the shirt! I'm getting an apron, and I really hope its here in time for thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Android Apocalypse posted:

Was it fresh or canned? If the latter, what brand?

canned, but I'm blanking on the name. something I got at an average American supermarket

it was just really fishy and a little rubbery. I think it'd be great in stew.