Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

there's no option to disable messages or phone, though

I'm pretty sure that's because the infrastructure for handling calls and SMS/MMS/RCS are inclusive in the apps so that it can be updated without pushing a system image. Obviously either can be replaced, but that's the abstracted UI layer on top of that infrastructure. There of course are a host of associated APKs that handle that stuff but I'm pretty sure their update mechanism is through the Phone and Messages apps and in order to keep compatibility with the cellular networks you can't remove updates to them. (Though if I recall correctly some of this was split off into the Carrier Services app which is separately updated.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Since I moved from the 3 to the 5, all of my text message threads have been split into two threads, one of them marked from the correct person and the other marked “Unknown sender”

So like, every text to and from a given person before Oct 14 is in its own thread marked Unknown sender. Every text AFTER said date is under their phone number.

Anyone know what’s up?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
SMS transferred over OK for me just now, going from a 3 to a 5.

I have a different problem with the 5-- none of the ringtones/notification/alarm sounds will preview? I mean, I the phone won't be set to anything other than vibrate except in the rarest of circumstances, so it's not particularly important, but... they should make noise? I made sure all the volume sliders were all the way up. Searching doesn't bring me anything useful about it.

Edit: Oh no, the phone ringtone doesn't sound at all. I just tried calling it from my work phone after making sure the slider was up. This is bad.

Edit 2: DND was on, and turning that off got ringtones back. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want to obey my settings about letting repeat callers or contacts to ring the phone. Hopefully my vibrating watch will do that job. So not a terrible thing, just an annoying thing.

AMDroid still goes off nice & loud, so that's good, at least.

effika fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 1, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

smoobles posted:

Since I moved from the 3 to the 5, all of my text message threads have been split into two threads, one of them marked from the correct person and the other marked “Unknown sender”

So like, every text to and from a given person before Oct 14 is in its own thread marked Unknown sender. Every text AFTER said date is under their phone number.

Anyone know what’s up?

Did you clear the cache and if that fails, data, for Messages? I'd imagine rebuilding the cache would reassociate the numbers in the store with contacts. Also make sure the current install has its permission to access contacts.

effika posted:

Edit 2: DND was on, and turning that off got ringtones back. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want to obey my settings about letting repeat callers or contacts to ring the phone. Hopefully my vibrating watch will do that job. So not a terrible thing, just an annoying thing.

Known bug.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 1, 2020

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Did you clear the cache and if that fails, data, for Messages? I'd imagine rebuilding the cache would reassociate the numbers in the store with contacts. Also make sure the current install has its permission to access contacts.

Just tried all those steps, didn't seem to fix it.

I haven't factory restored the old 3 yet, is there a way to move the messages data over a second time?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

smoobles posted:

Just tried all those steps, didn't seem to fix it.

I haven't factory restored the old 3 yet, is there a way to move the messages data over a second time?

I've used this tool in the past and it's always worked well. I'd probably make sure everything on the new phone is erased before restoring a backup created from the old phone to avoid merging problems.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Khanstant posted:

is there no simple way to send a chrome tab to your pc from your phone's chrome?

Apparently you can do this in chrome itself now but I've used pushbullet to do this for years, which also has the benefit of not requiring you to use chrome on all devices as well as pushing to an ipad or whatever.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
For a 10 year old's first phone, I'm not going to do better than the 2020 Moto E for $99 on sale at BBY, right? $50 cheaper than Amazon.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motoro...D=0&mpid=221109

I think the only other decent choice near this price is the Nokia 2.3 for $130?

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 1, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FistEnergy posted:

For a 10 year old's first phone, I'm not going to do better than the 2020 Moto E for $99 on sale at BBY, right? $50 cheaper than Amazon.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motoro...D=0&mpid=221109

Nokia 2.4 or 5.3 are probably incrementally nicer to use, but you’ve found one of the best cheap options already.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

Nokia 2.4 or 5.3 are probably incrementally nicer to use, but you’ve found one of the best cheap options already.

Hmm thanks for the info. I just noticed that the Moto E and the Nokia 2.4 are both microusb, and my 3 kids beat the hell out of those charge ports as they randomly guess which plug orientation is correct.

I'm thinking I'll spend an extra $50 for a Moto G Fast to get USB-C like the grown-up phones in our house.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Apparently you can do this in chrome itself now but I've used pushbullet to do this for years, which also has the benefit of not requiring you to use chrome on all devices as well as pushing to an ipad or whatever.

Thanks I'll try this out, being able to text from PC is cool too. Hangouts is still a thing but not everyone has it and I think they nerfed it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Hmm thanks for the info. I just noticed that the Moto E and the Nokia 2.4 are both microusb, and my 3 kids beat the hell out of those charge ports as they randomly guess which plug orientation is correct.

I'm thinking I'll spend an extra $50 for a Moto G Fast to get USB-C like the grown-up phones in our house.

FWIW, I got one of the magnetic charging adapters linked upthread for my kid's devices for just that reason.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey I can actually see the proximity sensor on the 5 when using Telegram. Not sure what the big deal is though as long as it's not always visible

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I've used this tool in the past and it's always worked well. I'd probably make sure everything on the new phone is erased before restoring a backup created from the old phone to avoid merging problems.

How do I erase all my messages before restoring from that app? When I clear storage on Messages app it immediately repopulates them, I guess from a google backup

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

smoobles posted:

How do I erase all my messages before restoring from that app? When I clear storage on Messages app it immediately repopulates them, I guess from a google backup

Long press a message thread to enter multiselect mode, tap all of the threads, then click the trash can icon at the top.

Messaging apps don't store messages which is why clearing its data does not erase them. The messages are stored in something called the message store that only one app can access at a time. That's why you have to specify a default messaging app and how Android allows you to use different apps without each having to build its own database.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Haven't bought a case yet for the Pixel 5 because day one cases never fit right, but I already got a small scratch on the screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Haven't bought a case yet for the Pixel 5 because day one cases never fit right, but I already got a small scratch on the screen.

Yeah I'm looking to put a screen protector on this. It's really nice but I'd rather not get scratches on it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Long press a message thread to enter multiselect mode, tap all of the threads, then click the trash can icon at the top.

Messaging apps don't store messages which is why clearing its data does not erase them. The messages are stored in something called the message store that only one app can access at a time. That's why you have to specify a default messaging app and how Android allows you to use different apps without each having to build its own database.

Aw gently caress I have hundreds of SMS threads. Is there an app that will delete it all for me?

I called Google Support about my Unknown sender threads and they were stumped, and have escalated it to the developers. Not a good sign it'll be fixed anytime soon

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

For the other person who posted this issue, another Canadian buddy of mine has the same problem and seems to be a Canada/Canada Post thing - I still don't have a valid tracking number for my Pixel 5 and it was supposed to arrive this past Wed/Thurs. Google Support refunded my expedited shipping fee, and gave me $65 CAD store credit as an apology. So if you're in the same boat as me, I highly recommend contacting them.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Pixel 5 case chat: I got the Caseology Parallax, and it has a cut-out for the non-existent top speaker grill. :derptiel: Fits just fine otherwise, though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

effika posted:

Pixel 5 case chat: I got the Caseology Parallax, and it has a cut-out for the non-existent top speaker grill. :derptiel: Fits just fine otherwise, though.

Where is the cutout? I'm looking at the images here: https://www.caseologycases.com/products/pixel-5-case-parallax

e: Ohhhh, I see it. Weird! I don't see it on other casemakers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oops, double post, good job clammy

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I got my phone on Friday! They wedged it in the door. Really good way to store ~$1,800 in phones (wife got one too).

The screen on these pixel 5s is amazing. I do have two nitpicks:

1) The sound quality is really weird. Like, coming from my pixel, the volume is all over the place on the pixel 5. Sometimes it sounds "normal", meaning that the volume out of the bottom and top speakers is the same.

Other times the top speaker volume is SUPER loud and I can't figure out why.

Calls also sound really weird. The entire screen has these tiny microvibrations, presumably from the under-glass speaker.

Not gonna lie, I wish there was a way to control the volume of this top speaker independently from the bottom one, because it is really getting in the way of my enjoyment of the phone.

2) The phone gets kinda warm when I'm playing games (around 33 C). It's weird, because my pixel 1 never heated up, except when the battery was making GBS threads itself.

All in all a really good phone but holy poo poo this top speaker is so goddamn annoying to deal with.

An example is in Puzzle and Dragons, the music and *most* of the sounds come out of the bottom speaker. But there are certain sounds that play out of the top speaker and they're like 3x the volume of everything else in the game.

So the options are, turn the sound down so you can't hear anything *except* the super loud sounds, or turn the volume up so you can hear everything, but then certain sounds are earblasting.

The bottom speaker seems okay to me!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Google has offered to swap my phone for a new one over the heat thing, but I'm not sure if this is normal. They seemed to think it wasn't, but my wife's phone does the same thing. I got a Simply Sage; she got a black one.

Edit: Added temperature.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 1, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Where is the cutout? I'm looking at the images here: https://www.caseologycases.com/products/pixel-5-case-parallax

e: Ohhhh, I see it. Weird! I don't see it on other casemakers

I've seen a reviews on a few cases that it has a cutout for a non-existent speaker, and the fingerprint scanner doesn't quite line up perfectly. Multiple manufacturers must have been going off of some kind of pre-release mystery specs. That's why I haven't bought one yet.

Also looking for a camera glass protector that does have the microphone hole cut out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The fabric case I have is perfect cut...the rest (including the Spigen I also have) seem to be off, yeah.

EDIT: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Google-CEO-promises-exciting-hardware-for-2021-as-Q1-2021-flagship-Pixel-rumours-emerge.500960.0.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EFJ_2QuRk4

According to Alphabet's Q3 2020 Earnings Call, there are some devices in store for 2021 that they think will be "exciting". There are also rumors heating up of a true Pixel flagship with Google's 5nm CPU next year, probably in March.

https://twitter.com/MaxWinebach/status/1321630453275664385

As he said, just a rumor, but still, the call isn't and gives some credibility to that rumor.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 1, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Well I'm not buying that flagship unless they give me at least $500 back for this Pixel 5.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

Well I'm not buying that flagship unless they give me at least $500 back for this Pixel 5.

I'll give you $500 for it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

More importantly, can't really see a reason to buy it at this point. The Pixel 5 is like a broken in pair of shoes, so comfy.

It would need a revolutionary camera improvement or like a sapphire display or something.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddamn it i just bought the Pixel 5 Google you stupid fucks

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If Google was ready to launch their own silicon in March, we would have seen something by now.

Maybe we'll see a 5a in March, but I sincerely doubt we'll see a new flagship then unless it's something like a folding phone.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bull3964 posted:

If Google was ready to launch their own silicon in March, we would have seen something by now.

Maybe we'll see a 5a in March, but I sincerely doubt we'll see a new flagship then unless it's something like a folding phone.
Google is impossible at keeping secrets; we'd see applications to the FCC for the device, the usual twitter rumor mills with really accurate information on the hardware itself and possibly even screenshots. So I'll just wait for that all to happen prior.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sourdough posted:

I'll give you $500 for it

I'll PM you in March.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Goddamn it i just bought the Pixel 5 Google you stupid fucks

the lack of huge bezels does wonders for the screen, I don't remember what the actual difference in diagonal was but it was negligible compared to how much smaller the phone is

also the phone is real nice lol

effika
Jun 19, 2005
The top notification area of the 5 just seems comically huge and I wish I'd gotten a bezel with real top speaker out of it, instead of a place where the time and camera hole are that sometimes changes to a coordinating color.

The lack of bottom bezel has been really nice, though. Took a few minutes to readjust how I held the phone and it's been smooth sailing since.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, this thing blows away anything else I've used battery wise and it seems to be getting better as time goes on.

Currently at 5 hours SoT with 61% battery left.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mine has been crazy good except for YouTube Music that got all fucky and decided to keep the phone awake for 4 hours straight trying to make it's own little playlists for Smart Download. It got hung up on some song and kept trying over and over and over for 4 hours. I turned it off and things are fine now.

YouTube Music kind of sucks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, this thing blows away anything else I've used battery wise and it seems to be getting better as time goes on.

Currently at 5 hours SoT with 61% battery left.

I hope mine arrives tomorrow, can't wait. I also will murder Google if they release another pixel in the new year.

vvvv you're out of control, turn in your badge and your gun

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 2, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'd definitely buy a pixel 5 pro. Passing on the reg 5.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Khanstant posted:

Thanks I'll try this out, being able to text from PC is cool too. Hangouts is still a thing but not everyone has it and I think they nerfed it.

Fast warning, apparently you can only do up to 100 texts a month without buying into their subscription service. It only counts texts that it actually pushes I think so if your pc is off/chrome isn't open I believe it doesn't count against you.

Also while I'm at it I know it's been mentioned before but the screenshot functionality in android 11 is such a gigantic step down. I could get used to it not being in the power menu if that was it but using it the same way I used it before is more cumbersome in basically every way. It's somehow worse than the days when the only way to take a screenshot was the manual shortcut, which is unbelievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I dropped my S20 the other day out running around with the dog, landed right on the pavement. The built in flimsy screen protector absorbed it like a champ, except for a couple dings on the bezel. I thought I was hosed.