Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Phy posted:

Jumbonanza

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Warbird posted:

I’m not in these circles, can you lay a couple on me?

"The perfidious Russians/Chinese copied everything because they cannot innovate"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I'm always so hungry when I have airline food that I always find it good.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I've always liked the An-22.

https://youtu.be/wEKcaUloIaQ

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is it true that the captain and the co-pilot can't both pick the same thing from the menu?

I used to work catering at JFK for European and Asian carriers. Everything we did was according to the airline's contract, and some airlines were deceivingly cheap and it showed especially when you looked at the crew meals. To answer your question, crew meals are a different menu from passengers and are loaded with quantities that prevent everyone from eating the same thing. If there were 3 pilots, we'd load 3 meals but two different entrees. Two pilots, two different entrees. Some of the sided might be the same but generally they're eating different foods for the entire flight.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I always eat the fish

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ever watch gladiator films?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

BER is open. Why.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Worthleast posted:

BER is open. Why.

Snags found already
https://twitter.com/SpieleWERT/status/1322496795478532097

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Reading that thread the biggest issue appear to be some water which made a floor wet and signs which aren't hung yet.

I wonder if it's in MSFS?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah there’s got to be more hilarity coming out of BER, in the vein of the scores of human fire watchers, but that thread isn’t it.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

two_beer_bishes posted:

I used to work catering at JFK for European and Asian carriers. Everything we did was according to the airline's contract, and some airlines were deceivingly cheap and it showed especially when you looked at the crew meals. To answer your question, crew meals are a different menu from passengers and are loaded with quantities that prevent everyone from eating the same thing. If there were 3 pilots, we'd load 3 meals but two different entrees. Two pilots, two different entrees. Some of the sided might be the same but generally they're eating different foods for the entire flight.

I tried to Google a pic of the poorly-chewed-vomit-appearance CM200 crew meals I used to get 15 years ago while at ATA, but apparently so many other versions of hell food have been issued since then that I couldn't find any. They all featured a protein identified as "Chork".

This is a pic of my portion of a $20,000 catering bill flying for Russian clients:

Both of us successfully ate a shitload of Siberian sushi. The eatin' is generally a lot better over on the Corporate side.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Quickest & best hack I was told about, for transoceanic flights, was to pre-order off of the special "proscribed" menu through the airline's website. Ate halal on the way to Zurich, and kosher on the way back. Best airline food I'd had in awhile, especially from AA.

Also learned that it may be hazardous to your health to bring a hoagie on your PHL-MCO flight. The mob got restless with their tiny Southwest peanut pouches.

At least the offender held the onions. But drat, it wafted the most heavenly zephyrs...

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 31, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Have you ever been in a Turkish Prison?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Also, go to 20:35 for a cheeky cameo

:vince:

I have been continuing to watch the Raptor videos. I'm on Oct 15, 2019 now, so about a year's worth to go before I'm completely caught up. It is pretty amazing that he gives semiweekly updates, there's a lot of stuff to see! Almost every video during and after the move to the hangar has a pretty big head scratcher moment.

I liked these:

Moving from the workshop to the hangar (good stuff around 2:00):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVC5qmYRdsk

After the test pilot's first look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSAC5EAe2HI

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

Also learned that it may be hazardous to your health to bring a hoagie on your PHL-MCO flight. The mob got restless with their tiny Southwest peanut pouches.

SFO T3 has a banh mi place and I get it each time I fly out of there. Somewhat to spite others but mostly because it’s delicious

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

PainterofCrap posted:

Quickest & best hack I was told about, for transoceanic flights, was to pre-order off of the special "proscribed" menu through the airline's website. Ate halal on the way to Zurich, and kosher on the way back. Best airline food I'd had in awhile, especially from AA.

Yeah I completely agree with that, I always order the vegan meals and they're pretty ok - if I paid 5 quid for it at a cheap cafe I would be fairly happy. Worth noting though that this is on European airlines. I've not flown an American carrier since starting to order special meals but some of the worst food I have ever been presented with has been on their flights (I'm looking at you, United long haul breakfasts).

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Ola posted:

The typical alternative engine application starts by someone being mad at a maintenance bill. Why does it cost so much, why only a few hundred hours between service intervals when my car goes on forever, old technology etc. It will cheaper maintenance, easier operation and lower fuel consumption to use an automotive. Oops turns out it's really complicated. The Eggenfellner Subaru installations which caused the RV-10 crash linked earlier promised to be cheaper, lighter and more economical but turned out to be more expensive, heavier and used more fuel.

Wasn't Eggenfellner also a massive idiot

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

luminalflux posted:

SFO T3 has a banh mi place and I get it each time I fly out of there. Somewhat to spite others but mostly because it’s delicious

When banh mi is available, it is never not the right choice to buy and eat it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I dunno an embarcadero sandwhich and a danish from klein’s has always been my move at SFO

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

If you're not leaving the terminal and going to the New England lobster market then I can't even

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Arson Daily posted:

If you're not leaving the terminal and going to the New England lobster market then I can't even

This. I do this every time I have a longish layover in SFO.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Arson Daily posted:

I can't hear about lobster without hearing "would you say they're equivalent, as lobster?" and "they're coming out of the gulf of Maine".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
IAD has one of the most evil options imaginable in the A/B concourse. A chili dog vendor.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Welp now I know what im doing the next time I'm there

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Flying out of New York is depressing as hell. The catering is all round awful, whichever major airport there you are flying out of.

You can't even get decent coffee, let alone food.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Munin posted:

Flying out of New York is depressing as hell. The catering is all round awful, whichever major airport there you are flying out of.

You can't even get decent coffee, let alone food.

It’s weird, you’d think they’d have some baller food choices there but whatever organized crime operation has the concession locked up is providing garbage tier food.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

It’s weird, you’d think they’d have some baller food choices there but whatever organized crime operation has the concession locked up is providing garbage tier food.

Ok glad it wasn't just me that noticed this.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

bonelessdongs posted:

Wasn't Eggenfellner also a massive idiot

I’ve heard this too, but it doesn’t seem to have stopped him.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Source4Leko posted:

Ok glad it wasn't just me that noticed this.

I always end up grabbing something at the sad pizza/hot dog place in whatever terminal handles flights to Europe.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I always end up grabbing something at the sad pizza/hot dog place in whatever terminal handles flights to Europe.

I've only been there twice but I think I just ended up saying gently caress it and getting mcdonalds or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

HMS Host seems like the most boring company on the planet

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arson Daily posted:

Welp now I know what im doing the next time I'm there

There's also a Five Guys. A big greasy burger is a very close second of "poo poo you should never bring on a plane."

Back in 2015 I was on a Redeye from Hell from LAX to IAD on Virgin America - I knew it was going to suck from the get go because 1) a dickhead boarded with a GIANT BAG OF IN & OUT food that he stowed in the overhead bin, 2) IFE was completely non-functional for the entire flight except for the promo video and map, and 3) a Chinese family stuck their daughter and their nanny back in steerage with us while they flew First, and the little girl, still bursting with energy, *sang* to the images of said promo channel for *the entire...loving...flight*. All they needed to do was turn off her screen. She'd have cried, but she'd have gotten bored and *gone to sleep* eventually.

But nope...the entire plane got to listen to (something that sounded like, because it's still seared into my brain) NYAHN NYAHN NYAAAWHN for the entire flight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it should probably be legal to give children liquor if they're on an airplane tbh

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

it should probably be legal required to give children liquor tranquilizers if they're on an airplane tbh

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

MrYenko posted:

it should probably be legal required enforced to give children liquor tranquilizers opium KFC and stoner comedies if they're on an airplane tbh

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

SFO was my home airport, never occured to me that millbrae had food.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

IAD has one of the most evil options imaginable in the A/B concourse. A chili dog vendor.

Austin with the Salt Lick is a good contender too.

edit: is there a Coney dog place in DTW?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

it should probably be illegal to give bring children liquor if they're on an airplane tbh

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nevermind the kids, give me that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there was a good story in the r/relationships thread where a lady was babysitting her 11 year old niece and the kid found and ate a bunch of THC gummy bears, and after some extreme panicking by the babysitter and the parents, the end result was she asked for a giant bowl of macaroni and cheese with hot dog slices and spent 12 hours alternately sleeping and watching disney movies