Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

CactusWeasle posted:

Beachbum30 to Hendrick

The 88 is open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

GD_American posted:

The 88 is open

No it's not, it's now the 48. Or the 5. I'm so confused.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

No it's not, it's now the 48. Or the 5. I'm so confused.

pretty sure that was a white supremacy joke

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Who in the actual gently caress feels sorry for Kyle Larson? I hope this poo poo blows up in Hendrick Motorsports face.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Let’s refocus: the truck race is fun as hell

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I saw on the bottom line on espn during the course of the day that something to the effect that Harrison Burton had defeated his Dad in the XNS race yesterday. So I thought, wow, Jeff Burton ran an XNS race today. Cool!

I went to racing-reference and discovered that Harrison beat Jeb Burton in that race. I guess espn figured Jeb is the father of Harrison. :downs:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I believe Harrison also broke his dad's record of being the youngest winner at the track, if I remember the broadcast correctly.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I’ll say it: the playoffs actually rule

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Playoff advancement/cutline stakes completely made that race. And I don't think i can honestly say that's a bad thing anymore.

Every single playoff point, every stage win, every race win, Harvick picked up during the season, mattered. He royally sucked during the playoffs, but in the end he was just one point short of making it. That's all on him, although he could have bailed himself out by picking up just one more playoff point at some point earlier. Even if you're kicking butt towards the regular season trophy, playoff points still matter.

Hamilin was bleeding points there at the end. He looked safe until the last run. He also just barely made it.

Chase was drat lucky. Bad pit stops and a penalty that almost was but wasn't when the jackman made a heads-up move and "tagged up" to get back to the wall before getting on the car. And yet, he drove back to the front every time. He earned it.

Harvick said, "these championships aren't like Petty and Earnhardt used to win them."

Different doesn't always mean better, or worse. But I think I can say for sure that things are different in a good way now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the chase loving sucks and harvick getting bounced is exactly why

but also its extremely funny and good to see harvick get bounced, so much to think about!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Cygni posted:

but also its extremely funny and good to see harvick get bounced, so much to think about!

This is pretty much where I stand. It’s not legitimate but it’s loving hilarious and we all need that this year.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This is the format and fans and drivers need to stop acting surprised and comparing it to points systems that either no longer exist or never existsd

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Cygni posted:

Not really, though?

NASCAR made a choice to sacrifice some of the integrity of a season-long championship for giving individual races more meaning and be more entertaining, and the final races even more meaning and more entertaining. Not just the race for the win either, but individual positions up and down the field.

Think of all the bonkers races and individual moments mid-pack on back strictly because of what teams and drivers need to do in the playoffs and at the cutoffs to just make it to the next round, to make it to the Champ 4.

The first Roval race in 2018 is the gold standard here. You got the dramatic takeout for the win going into the last chicane on the last lap. But then you also had an important mid-pack battle that went to the finish, AND the last car in line pinballing around the track in a desperate attempt to get around the car that stalled in front of the finish line.

Martinsville tonight wasn't that different. Lots of drama up front, lots of drama mid-pack, lots of drama for a car desperately trying (and succeeding) to get back on the lead lap, and drama all around as contenders are fighting loose wheels, dwindling points leads, and the possibility that the best car all (regular) season might not be good enough to make it through to the finals, even with the huge playoff points lead he was given by NASCAR at the start of all this.

I can't not be entertained by this. After this race I'm finding that I'm engaged as much or even more than The Good Ol' Days trying to follow everything.

The question here, I guess, is whether it's worth giving up the purity of a full-season champion for many more important and dramatic moments throughout the full field of a race.

NASCAR can do more to shore up some stupid poo poo, of course. But I'm at the point now where it's not worth it to be all Crapwaggony about it. I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is.

tldr - Things are different now, I accept it, it's good for what it has become, I'll watch Indycar if I want a pure championship.

Also:

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1323043779402592256

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WindyMan posted:

tldr - Things are different now, I accept it, it's good for what it has become, I'll watch Indycar if I want a pure championship.

IndyCar is more of a pure Championship, but still has its own gimmick with double point races.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Honestly the sport is closer to its original roots than ever. Drivers care about wins more than championships again.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

playoffs are dogshit

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Ungratek posted:

Honestly the sport is closer to its original roots than ever. Drivers care about wins more than championships again.

And I've seen a metric gently caress-ton of "points racing" lately

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
To me the top 4 should have been Harvick, Hamlin, Chase, and I guess Logano since he was already locked in but on the overall season I think the #22's spot could have easily gone to the #2, or the #19 and been just the same I just feel like Harvick and Hamlin have actually had championship seasons with Chase making an argument to be involved. If the #2 or the #22 wins it all I do kind of feel like it's not a "real" championship even though they are playing by the same rules everybody else is playing by. It was an entertaining race though I'll say that. I watched every lap, and even though I was on DVR time I did watch it the day that it aired which I could normally take or leave depending on the track. I think Martinsville is a great last chance track to get in and I hope they keep it that way.

In the end I guess I don't actually care who wins the whole thing, though I feel like it rounds out Hamlin's career to get one. Even though I don't think he has had a championship year Brad is probably my favorite driver to watch out those 4, excluding political leanings and everything else. I try not to let that poo poo affect who I like to watch drive a car though the Larson thing is totally gonna bug me next year.

As far as the race itself at the end, I just wonder how does the #10 and the #14 not "start struggling" when the #4 needs a couple spots at the end. I know Truex and the MWR #56 learned the hardway about manipulating the end of a race but the Hass cars didn't even try to hold up the #21 or the #18 at the end and that made the difference. I feel like Martinsville is the perfect place to have your car be great one lap and go to poo poo 2 laps later, whether it actually did or not.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I agree with WindyMan. This is the points system, it's been 15+ years, get over it. I love you guys, and chatting with all of you during the races makes things a lot of fun, but some of you need to let go of a points system that was flawed and hasn't existed for a decade and a half. All of the complaining is blinding you to the fact that the playoff format has made every single race compelling as hell. I've been saying it since 2017, but once they went to this knock-out format, they really hit on something good. They could tweak it slightly, but overall I think they need to leave it alone. All of the changes from 2004 to 2017 really hurt the Chase's legitimacy, and contributes to the bitching that we still see today.

In the end you guys, sports are suppose to be fun. If you're watching this and just getting pissed, or only finding enjoyment in the bitching, you're doing it wrong. This is the format, all the drivers understand it and accept it, and you should too. You don't have to love it all the time, and there are flaws, but take 4 hours off every week to just enjoy something. Stop insisting that the old ways were always better- most of us here are under 40, don't give in to being old crotchety people so young.

As I said in discord, the race today actually got me to turn off football- that's a huge win for NASCAR.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

I agree with WindyMan. This is the points system, it's been 15+ years, get over it. I love you guys, and chatting with all of you during the races makes things a lot of fun, but some of you need to let go of a points system that was flawed and hasn't existed for a decade and a half. All of the complaining is blinding you to the fact that the playoff format has made every single race compelling as hell. I've been saying it since 2017, but once they went to this knock-out format, they really hit on something good. They could tweak it slightly, but overall I think they need to leave it alone. All of the changes from 2004 to 2017 really hurt the Chase's legitimacy, and contributes to the bitching that we still see today.

In the end you guys, sports are suppose to be fun. If you're watching this and just getting pissed, or only finding enjoyment in the bitching, you're doing it wrong. This is the format, all the drivers understand it and accept it, and you should too. You don't have to love it all the time, and there are flaws, but take 4 hours off every week to just enjoy something. Stop insisting that the old ways were always better- most of us here are under 40, don't give in to being old crotchety people so young.

As I said in discord, the race today actually got me to turn off football- that's a huge win for NASCAR.

no

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What if they went to a system of:

Win during the “regular” season: you make the playoffs.

Win during the playoffs: you make the championship race.

Points can round out the rest with a cap set for the championship race at playoff winners plus 4 best in points or something.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Douchebag posted:

Points can round out the rest with a cap set for the championship race at playoff winners plus 4 best in points or something.

Here's an idea. Each finishing position gives a certain number of championshipchits or "points" and then who ever has the most of these "points" at the end of the season wins.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

like if you're chill with the format that's fine, i won't hold it against anyone, but i'm never going to stop complaining about it because it think it loving sucks

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

am i biased because my favorite driver should probably have like 4 titles right now otherwise? yes, obviously, but it's still poo poo

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Douchebag posted:

I think the current system is good. As we're seeing in the playoffs, stage wins and race wins—playoff points altogether—really loving matter in this system. Cars that run consistently well through the first part of the season get a bigger margin for error in the playoffs. In Harvick's case, though, even that is no guarantee if you start to run like poo poo in the last half of the season.

Maybe they could start giving playoff point bonuses to polesitters or extra playoff points for additional race wins (+5 for the first, +6 for the second, +7 for the third, etc) so if someone is really, really wiping the floor with the field all year, they'd have to have a complete meltdown to not make it to the final race.

If nothing else, they MUST fix the last race. NASCAR emphasizes winning being the most important thing all year, but in the last race winning is optional as long as you finish ahead of everyone else. It should be winner-take-all unless none of the Champ 4 wins, then it goes back to reset points + carried over playoff points + points and playoff points earned in the last race. At least then someone can build up a big enough points buffer to potentially survive getting KO'd in the last race, and making those last points still matter in the first place.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Vasukhani posted:

Here's an idea. Each finishing position gives a certain number of championshipchits or "points" and then who ever has the most of these "points" at the end of the season wins.

I much prefer the old/original points championship because it rewarded a driver for their performance over an entire season. I know Kenseth broke this with his lovely one win season and we all hated it and thus we got the chase, but I still feel like the old way was better.

The current playoffs are exciting from an entertainment perspective sure, but Harvick should be in the final race. Dude had a career year. So again, if you make the playoffs and win in the playoffs you should be in the championship race. If that means Phoenix has 7 guys eligible so be it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Building a Christmas list. If you guys could get one diecast of a historical car, which one would you, either with the coolest paintjob, coolest driver, or best story?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

GD_American posted:

Building a Christmas list. If you guys could get one diecast of a historical car, which one would you, either with the coolest paintjob, coolest driver, or best story?

Kulwicki’s Hooters Underbird
Earnhardt’s 98 Daytona 500 winner
Dale Jr’s Coke 400 Daytona winner with the donut on the side
Daley Allison’s 92 Daytona 500 car

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Douchebag posted:

I much prefer the old/original points championship because it rewarded a driver for their performance over an entire season.

The current system still rewards season-long performance and consistency, just in a different way and with a different reward for doing so. Winning is important, and winning a lot is really important, but you also have to win while staying consistently up front through a race to pick up stage wins and more playoff points. Harvick and the four that got in ahead of him all have a poo poo-ton of the season race wins and stage wins, so there's nothing out of the ordinary there as far as that goes.

Obviously, a lot of you guys want the one person to do all of that the best to win the championship, but that's not what the system is now. What it does in today's NASCAR is give you a very good chance of making it to the last race, where NASCAR wants it to be a finish-ahead-of-the-others-take-all race.

Yeah, I agree that it's ridiculous to put it all to one single race. But wasn't that what college football was for a while? That eventually gave us the playoff system where CFB teams can't hide behind cupcake schedules anymore, making every drat game, every decision important. NASCAR is starting to get that with its races. IMO it just needs a better way to put a bow on it.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I prefer the points system from 1973 because it awarded points by the length of the race. That doesn't mean we're ever going back to it. How long can we really be upset about something before it's no longer useful? At some point you're only hurting yourself. I'm sure people hated the new points system in 1968, but at some point you just have to let it go.

WindyMan posted:

If nothing else, they MUST fix the last race. NASCAR emphasizes winning being the most important thing all year, but in the last race winning is optional as long as you finish ahead of everyone else. It should be winner-take-all unless none of the Champ 4 wins, then it goes back to reset points + carried over playoff points + points and playoff points earned in the last race. At least then someone can build up a big enough points buffer to potentially survive getting KO'd in the last race, and making those last points still matter in the first place.

Luckily this hasn't happened, but it would be wise to get a plan in place. It's bound to happen, some day all four championship drivers are going to have a bad day; maybe one guy just misses the setup, and the other three are involved in accidents/mechanical failures, and that guy who missed the setup and finishes 27th 1-lap down will be the champion. That's going to be a real wet fart of a championship, and if NASCAR doesn't prepare for it they're going to end up scrambling like they did in 2004.

As it is currently constructed, the stages mean NOTHING in the final race. It undermines the strategy of 35 races when there is nothing to gain by finishing well in the stages of the last race. It's an odd oversight that NASCAR didn't take into account when formulating this system. It would almost make more sense to do away with stages entirely for the final race and just have the purest possible race. No stage breaks, no pre-planned cautions, just 400 miles. But I think it's best to keep things consistent the entire season- so keep the stages and just make them matter by allowing points to be a deciding factor. It gives a driver who has been consistent for 35 races an advantage, but not too much of an advantage where the championship is all but decided.

Also, NASCAR needs to clamp down on team orders and cooperation. That poo poo that JGR pulled last year with the pitstalls was unsportsmanlike. Maybe the four champ drivers get randomly assigned 1 of 4 spaces, or they qualify in a group and then decide on their pits stalls before everyone else qualifies.

SpitztheGreat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 2, 2020

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Douchebag posted:

Kulwicki’s Hooters Underbird

drat good idea, only Hooters car I have is a Brett Bodine tribute to Kulwicki

quote:

Dale Jr’s Coke 400 Daytona winner with the donut on the side

was that the baseball scheme?

quote:

Daley Allison’s 92 Daytona 500 car

oohhh another good one, loved that Texaco scheme. Refuse to get a Ricky Rudd or Swervin' Irvan one tho, so will have to pay the Davey premium

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

GD_American posted:

drat good idea, only Hooters car I have is a Brett Bodine tribute to Kulwicki

was that the baseball scheme?

oohhh another good one, loved that Texaco scheme. Refuse to get a Ricky Rudd or Swervin' Irvan one tho, so will have to pay the Davey premium

What's wrong with Rudd?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SpitztheGreat posted:

What's wrong with Rudd?

Personal dislike. I remember him wrecking Trickle at Bristol once then bitching about backmarkers instead of owning it.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I like the playoffs but stages need to be scrapped

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

-Gordon Chromalusion (was I think the Winston some year)
-Mark Martin Batman (Michigan 2006)
-Mark Martin 2008 Tony the Tiger scheme

An Underbird would be cool as hell. Someday I'm going to get my Bubba BLM diecast...

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

SpitztheGreat posted:

I agree with you 100%.

And yep, this race got us to turn off football and watch the final stage. It turned out to be the right move.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

how can the nascar playoffs be real if our eyes aren't real?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Elitist Bitch posted:

-Gordon Chromalusion (was I think the Winston some year)
-Mark Martin Batman (Michigan 2006)
-Mark Martin 2008 Tony the Tiger scheme

An Underbird would be cool as hell. Someday I'm going to get my Bubba BLM diecast...

It was the 1998 Winston. Gordon's Superman car from the next year also ran with the special paint, but it's lesser-known.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

That was a terrible race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Ungratek posted:

That was a terrible race

Not really though.