Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Thanks for the news help!!

I just got my otterbox and it’s a little more basic than I thought it would be. I wish I would have gotten a cuter case instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You could always make it cute by custom if the home screen with widget!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

You could always make it cute by custom if the home screen with widget!

:stare:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We just purchased a new iPad for my daughter from Verizon. We are going to log into it with her child account. How do we get it so that my account can claim the free year of Apple TV?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I don’t see the Mad thread, so hell I’ll just ask here and if someone has a thread to refer me to cool.

Trialing the Apple One thread, we were at 101GB towards the 200GB , so not close, but we use enough of the other stuff where ok, it could be worth it and maybe I can force myself to try and get in better shape.

We both have MacBooks (one Air 2012, one Pro 2015). I was hoping to use the 2TB as a pseudo time machine. When I went into each computer it let me select “backup all folders.” Can someone confirm if that’s the closest you can get to a computer backup ? Or best practice for backing up said laptops ?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I don’t see the Mad thread, so hell I’ll just ask here and if someone has a thread to refer me to cool.

Trialing the Apple One thread, we were at 101GB towards the 200GB , so not close, but we use enough of the other stuff where ok, it could be worth it and maybe I can force myself to try and get in better shape.

We both have MacBooks (one Air 2012, one Pro 2015). I was hoping to use the 2TB as a pseudo time machine. When I went into each computer it let me select “backup all folders.” Can someone confirm if that’s the closest you can get to a computer backup ? Or best practice for backing up said laptops ?

You use iCloud Drive to backup the desktop and documents folder. I think that answers your question

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206985

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Thank you for the Overcast recommendation. I have labored far too long in the Podcasts.app gulag.

I have mostly switched over too. There are a few shows I like to have available cross platform or that I routinely sync to my old iPod classic for long drives but everything else has moved to overcast or Castro (the only apps I have found that haven’t become more like Apple Podcasts over the last two years). There just is zero reason to believe they are ever going to fix or improve the original app since it hasn’t had anything but aesthetic changes in two years.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Google for cat or dog or possibly other animals RIGHT NOW and hit the AR button. This is the best thing ever.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I finally got my 12 pro in hand and it really doesn’t feel any bigger than my X.

Still feels hard to get a decent picture.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Boris Galerkin posted:

Google for cat or dog or possibly other animals RIGHT NOW and hit the AR button. This is the best thing ever.

Thank you for this

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We just purchased a new iPad for my daughter from Verizon. We are going to log into it with her child account. How do we get it so that my account can claim the free year of Apple TV?

Don’t quote me on this, but I’ve added my mom and sister under my iCloud account as family members (me being the supervisor, then listed as adults). When my sister bought her new phone I had access to AppleTV+ and when I started the Apple Arcade trial they had instant access too. So maybe just try to set it up as a family.

The way we have it set up is that each of us share iCloud storage space (wtf my mom takes up 80+ GB in photos and backups alone) but we keep purchases separate so we each use our own cards and can’t share apps. With your daughter you can make it so she can’t buy apps without requesting your permission.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Boris Galerkin posted:

This killed about 10 minutes with my wife and her friend posing with the cat, haha.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Isn’t there a category in the App Store for just editor’s choice apps? I feel dumb for not finding it.

Edit: nm

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Dogen posted:

This killed about 10 minutes with my wife and her friend posing with the cat, haha.

Google says there’s suppose to be a PIRATE DOG but I can’t find it 🙁

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 1, 2020

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Google says there’s suppose to be a PIRATE DOG but I can’t find it 🙁

german shepherd

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Generic Monk posted:

except casey

Why is Casey bad?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does Applecare give you coverage if you're travelling? It doesn't look like it but I wasn't sure if somebody's tried.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So after I ordered the 12, regretted it because I bought into the hype and ordered the 12 pro because of it being better, I realized we won't return to a "normal" (safe to do fun things with groups) for at least another 18 months. Which is the whole reason I want the best camera. But for now, touch id makes what I do do (going to the store, and otherwise i'm at home, usually on my computer) is more important. So now in three weeks I'm canceling a second phone order, and now the true iPhone of our times (the SE) will be here Tuesday. Lol.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

LionArcher posted:

So after I ordered the 12, regretted it because I bought into the hype and ordered the 12 pro because of it being better, I realized we won't return to a "normal" (safe to do fun things with groups) for at least another 18 months. Which is the whole reason I want the best camera. But for now, touch id makes what I do do (going to the store, and otherwise i'm at home, usually on my computer) is more important. So now in three weeks I'm canceling a second phone order, and now the true iPhone of our times (the SE) will be here Tuesday. Lol.

why no 12 Mini?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Has anyone gone to Best Buy to have a battery replaced?

They aren't my first (or second) choice, but everywhere is either closed or booked solid for weeks.

Apple lists them as a recommended Apple Certified & trained repair location, so they (in theory) are supposed to be OK.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Has anyone gone to Best Buy to have a battery replaced?

They aren't my first (or second) choice, but everywhere is either closed or booked solid for weeks.

Apple lists them as a recommended Apple Certified & trained repair location, so they (in theory) are supposed to be OK.

They're fine, they're the closest to an actual Apple store and have Apple staff on hand sometimes.
That said, I'm pretty sure it's just a mail-in service, I don't think they have the equipment to do the repairs in-store .

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Worth noting that Best Buy’s Apple employees are more Best Buy employees with Apple shirts than anything else. It should be fine though. If they can do anything on a phone, replacing the battery is the second easiest thing to do next to replacing the screen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

why no 12 Mini?

It's even smaller (and I have handled the SE,) but you're paying what, an extra $400 bucks for trade offs I would not choose in normal times. Let's be honest, in Covid, we use our phones (or at least I do) for texts, doom scrolling, checking email, photos of walks, and some voice dictation. That's it. Spending $450 total for a device that does that, and saving that extra $400 is a smarter management of money when we don't know how bad things really will get in the next few years. Also I have a PS5 coming, and in terms of tech that will give me joy, that will be so much more effective than a phone. Also the leather cases are already out for the SE.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’m glad I got the 12 Pro over the regular 12 because it has the telephoto lens, which is far more useful. The ultra wide lens has pretty bad barrel distortion, and the image quality at the periphery is plain bad. I’m not sure when I would ever need such a wide field of view.

The portrait mode is certainly improved over the 7 Plus, but I think the colors were better/truer on the 7. It’s funny with Live Photos, you can see how the image looks as captured just before all the processing is applied. It’s not always a success IMO.

Battery life is pretty impressive. I didn’t charge it at all from Friday around 7pm to Sunday 8am and it only got to about 10%, using it as normal.

It’s bigger than I thought it would be, but it’s fine. The 7 Plus was just on the cusp of being too big for me. I think the mini might be the perfect size, especially with the full-screen display, but I’d really want a mini Pro which maybe they’ll make next go around.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Where can I find good icon packs easily? I don’t quite understand how they work or where to look for them

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Ugh. How does my iPhone 12 Pro have 33GB of "Other" data on it hogging space? I wish they let you manage this data in some way instead of it being there and going away as kind of a mystery

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Astro7x posted:

Ugh. How does my iPhone 12 Pro have 33GB of "Other" data on it hogging space? I wish they let you manage this data in some way instead of it being there and going away as kind of a mystery

I have that on my phone as well @ 15GB

https://www.macworld.com/article/3388219/iphone-other-storage-what-is-it-and-how-do-you-delete-it.amp.html

Tl:dr some of it could be useful to you and data management handles it

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I’ve had the 12 for a little over a week and I think it’s my favorite phone ever (just coming from the 11 Pro Max). It fits perfectly in one hand, I didn’t realize how much I missed the flat edges of the iPhone 4/5 design, and I’ve actually gotten pretty good 5G coverage in my medium sized town (not that I’ll be using it too much until the pandemic ends).

I think this may finally be the phone I keep for many years. I liked having the big screen but it’s been a week and I’ve barely noticed the downsize- I guess going from 6.5” to 6.1” really isn’t as noticeable as I might have thought. It would probably be a bigger downgrade going from OLED to LCD now that I think about it.

Anyways, great phone. Really don’t see the point of the 12 Pro- I think if I were interested in the camera upgrades I would just get the Pro Max again.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh hell. What time do I need to be awake on the 5th?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

im on the net me boys posted:

Where can I find good icon packs easily? I don’t quite understand how they work or where to look for them

You can’t customize icons the way I’m thinking that you’re thinking of. A lot of apps have alternate app icons which you can change in their settings, some are paywalled some don’t have the option, up to the developer. With the Shortcuts app you can make a shortcut that opens up another app, and you can set that shortcut on your Home Screen with any icon you want (like look at the ugly anime picture I linked above) but it’s an ugly workaround because touching on one of those icons will first open up the shortcuts app before redirecting you to the target app.

I believe an app called Launch Center Pro has an update that has a neat workaround with this. You generate the shortcuts and the app installs a profile on your system and the shortcut opens the app directly (via a link). But I think that’s $20 and I’m not sure if it’s something Apple will allow.

I have no idea where to find custom app icons to answer your question. Maybe check Reddit r/ioshomescreen or some variation of that.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I looked up and yeah apparently people are using Shortcuts to set custom icons for their homescreens and I’m so not loving with that

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
iPhone is not about individualism. It’s about accepting a what is right for you.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

iPhone is not about individualism. It’s about accepting a what is right for you.

Willing to accept this for a phone that doesn’t suck rear end tbh

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The shortcuts thing would be cool if it didn't have to launch the shortcuts app first. But because it does that I hate it and will never use it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I love being in a crowded room and hearing the iMessage “ding!” sound go off and seeing everyone check if it was theirs.

E: Obviously I meant crowded rooms in the Before Times.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The only thing I've found Shortcuts remotely useful for is setting up Siri so that when I say "tell my wife I'm leaving" it sends her a text message with an ETA based on current map directions home. That's about it...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The one that uploads your most recent photo to Imgur then copies the timg code to the clipboard rules.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The one that uploads your most recent photo to Imgur then copies the timg code to the clipboard rules.

Yeah this one is the only one I use lol

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I love being in a crowded room and hearing the iMessage “ding!” sound go off and seeing everyone check if it was theirs.

E: Obviously I meant crowded rooms in the Before Times.

This would drive me insane. The best feature of the iPhone is the hardware silent mode switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Custom ringtones, folks.