Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mystes posted:

Does that really help with giant tire-destroying pieces of metal?

yeah, I could pull that piece of metal out, reinflate, and be on my way

clean round punctures like that are tubeless’s bread and butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Imagining evil bunny misunderstanding tubeless tires and klunking around like a katamari full of staples and nails

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I made a dumb thing, would anyone be interested in a run of these? Not totally set on the colors but that’s more or less what it’d look like.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 31, 2020

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Did 147k in the rain today. Felt good on the way out but didn't eat on the bike on the second leg as I only had bars and they were stuck under my jacket anyway. Thinking about tucking some gels in my bibs for next time but mostly glad I had the metal to finish instead of getting a train when it really started loving it down.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Nice work - hope you enjoyed the hot shower afterwards!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm spending a lot of time these days on multi-use paths, either riding a bike or accompanying my kids as they ride scooters and pick flowers and whatever kids do. The path my kids prefer also has a higher concentration of pathway racers.

Not every doughy middle aged dude in lycra on an expensive bike is an rear end in a top hat, but every rear end in a top hat is a doughy middle aged dude in lycra on an expensive bike.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So there's a reasonable chance I can buy a bike from someone ... 1000 mi away from me. Has anyone had any experience with this?

My current plan is to contact a shop of my choice near the seller that can handle packing and shipping and have them verify the model year and condition of the bike while the seller is in store. I then PayPal the seller while he's at the shop and the shop sends me a bike. Does that make sense? Am I opening myself up to a scam somehow?

But pretty stoked on the possibility of actually getting a barely ridden Hightower before Sept 2021, which is what my LBS is forecasting. Homedude ended up with more bike than he needed/buyer's remorse so I'm happy to take the bike off his hands for list+$100 and shipping.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

Does that really help with giant tire-destroying pieces of metal?
long cuts no, punctures yes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Eejit posted:

So there's a reasonable chance I can buy a bike from someone ... 1000 mi away from me. Has anyone had any experience with this?

My current plan is to contact a shop of my choice near the seller that can handle packing and shipping and have them verify the model year and condition of the bike while the seller is in store. I then PayPal the seller while he's at the shop and the shop sends me a bike. Does that make sense? Am I opening myself up to a scam somehow?

But pretty stoked on the possibility of actually getting a barely ridden Hightower before Sept 2021, which is what my LBS is forecasting. Homedude ended up with more bike than he needed/buyer's remorse so I'm happy to take the bike off his hands for list+$100 and shipping.

You're ok with no warranty? This is $100 over msrp?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

n8r posted:

You're ok with no warranty? This is $100 over msrp?

It actually hasn't been registered yet so I will get warranty. And yeah, $100 over MSRP

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eejit posted:

It actually hasn't been registered yet so I will get warranty. And yeah, $100 over MSRP

So when the manufacturer asks for the original purchase receipt on a warranty claim what happens?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

So when the manufacturer asks for the original purchase receipt on a warranty claim what happens?

Good question? If I get the original purchase receipt would that cover me?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
That sounds like a scam, and generally a bad plan. What is so special about this bike?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Santa Cruz will ask for a scan definitely. Not sure if that will have a name on it (depends on the merchant) other than the serial. Not sure if this would matter but id at least get a copy.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What makes you think you can't get one until Sept 2021? Mtbr rumors?

There are other good bikes in the market, I think you should look into them. Paying over MSRP for a bike where you very easily could get denied a warranty claim is a bad idea. Never mind that this could just be a straight up scam.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I wouldn’t do that. Give Wheat Ridge and the other big Santa Cruz shops a call. There will be more bikes shipped out between now and then, it’s just likely that they’re all sold to dealers already. Dealers can put your name on a bike they’ve got coming. I’d even go with Competitive Cyclist before I did something like that.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

I'm spending a lot of time these days on multi-use paths, either riding a bike or accompanying my kids as they ride scooters and pick flowers and whatever kids do. The path my kids prefer also has a higher concentration of pathway racers.

Not every doughy middle aged dude in lycra on an expensive bike is an rear end in a top hat, but every rear end in a top hat is a doughy middle aged dude in lycra on an expensive bike.

My commute is almost 100% multi-use path, and I try very hard not to be anything like those assholes. Haven't seen any, yet, but certainly they're out there - I have seen a few doughy middle-aged guys in lycra on expensive bikes, but they were on roads and were not behaving badly at the time I saw them. Today I went for a fun ride that was largely along the same paths as my commute, and in the middle of a Sunday afternoon it's no surprise that the parts of the path close to popular playgrounds and sports fields were busy with little kids on bikes/scooters/etc. I kept it slow and made sure to give them plenty of room. When I thank people for moving out of my way they often reply with "no worries!" or something equivalent. Which I wouldn't hear if I blasted past them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Eejit posted:

You're about to get ripped off and no shop will ever act as an intermediary for a private sale.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Rode 155km yesterday with a 19 old local sub23 national champ. Utterly annihilated, dude didn’t even break a sweat and never once switched to the small ring (last 35km had like 1500m of climbing and his big ring was a 54).

We have good riders in our group but the kid was just on another level.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I've been looking into CO2 infators and there are a couple of things I can't figure out:

1) How high of a pressure can they go to? My bike takes 120 PSI 700x23 tires. Will an inflator be able to fill those?

2) If they can go to higher pressures, how do you know when to stop inflating? Is it just by feel or is there some other way of figuring it out?

I know that most hand pumps don't have gaugues on them either, but at least with those it's hard enough to fill a high-pressure tire that you can safely stop when you pump so much that you start to lose the will to live. I don't know what the feedback from an inflator would be like.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Most C02 inflators will easily fill a road tyre, probably nearly twice.

I like inflators that let me control the on/off and just go with feel. It gets checked on a track pump with a guage at the earliest opportunity.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I run 700x25c tires @ 100/110 psi f/r and have found that a 20g CO2 cartridge can fill up a tire to satisfy the hand squish test and leave some leftover in case I need to top off before I get home. I could probably get away with a 16g but I've forgotten to open the valve before and wasted a bunch of precious, ride-saving CO2 and choose 20g cartridges in case it happens again.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a cheap (sub a hundred bucks) indoor trainer?

Also, looking to get a basic bike fit in NYC, preferably Brooklyn. I’m not trying to race or ride a hundred miles in a day, so the fitting doesn’t have to use 3D modeling and lasers and poo poo. Any goon-approved shops? Also looking for something pretty cheap.

e: lol missed trainer talk on the last page

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 1, 2020

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bike fit is pretty common sense. I would honestly do it myself due to the plague. The most important thing is to get comfortable with making basic adjustments so that when you observe something on a ride you won't put off changing it when you get home.

Ride 5 miles with a seat that's too high, ride 5 with a seat that's too low. Flip your stem upside down, ride 5 miles, scoot your seat back, ride 5 miles... you get it. Eventually you can get on a bike and pick out everything you'd change if it was yours in about 2 seconds.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just get the BFF Elite app if you have a trainer. Easy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just get the BFF Elite app if you have a trainer. Easy.

:hmmyes:

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Salt Fish posted:

Bike fit is pretty common sense. I would honestly do it myself due to the plague. The most important thing is to get comfortable with making basic adjustments so that when you observe something on a ride you won't put off changing it when you get home.

Ride 5 miles with a seat that's too high, ride 5 with a seat that's too low. Flip your stem upside down, ride 5 miles, scoot your seat back, ride 5 miles... you get it. Eventually you can get on a bike and pick out everything you'd change if it was yours in about 2 seconds.

But you end up 20miles away from home with a bike that still doesn't fit!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mikemelbrooks posted:

But you end up 20miles away from home with a bike that still doesn't fit!

Bro why would you ruin one of the most classic pranks of the SA bike thread. Come on!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I love bike

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Head Bee Guy posted:

This never existed new. It barely existed used and with the pandemic kicking into high gear over the winter, the used market for capable trainers is non-existent.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

So I bought a bike over the summer and after a series of hilarious flat tire mishaps am starting to get out and ride more regularly just in time for winter :haw:. I like it a lot and in fact I like so much I already want to buy another bike because I need a single speed you see.

I love bike

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

butros posted:

I already want to buy another bike because I need a single speed you see

What better purchase for tomorrow, International Single Speed Day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I put studded snow tires on my single speed so I have no excuses.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

kimbo305 posted:

What better purchase for tomorrow, International Single Speed Day.

I thought this was a classic SA Bike Thred prank but holy poo poo

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Also, looking to get a basic bike fit in NYC, preferably Brooklyn. I’m not trying to race or ride a hundred miles in a day, so the fitting doesn’t have to use 3D modeling and lasers and poo poo. Any goon-approved shops? Also looking for something pretty cheap.

e: lol missed trainer talk on the last page

I have a Travel Trac dumb fuild trainer that I got in 2015 and then hardly used. It's been collecting dust in my parents garage for the past 4 years.

I'm also in NYC. PM me if you're interested. I can throw in a wheel block too.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Next year I want to do a century ride. The most I've ever ridden is about 40 miles in any one go and I'd like to hear what I should be doing to prepare for it. How much water should I take? food? rest? Will my taint hurt?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Arson Daily posted:

Next year I want to do a century ride. The most I've ever ridden is about 40 miles in any one go and I'd like to hear what I should be doing to prepare for it. How much water should I take? food? rest? Will my taint hurt?

Two bottles, yes, yes, maybe.

Plan to have a stop or two where you can relieve yourself and get more food and water rather than carrying everything on you.

If you can ride 40 miles you can ride a century. Just go at a pace where you're never going into the red, eat and drink at least every 30 minutes, and find things to eat/drink that agree with your system (probably not exclusively clif bars). Pick a day where the weather is nice and when you have nothing else to do, so you're not stressed on time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

Pick a day where the weather is nice and when you have nothing else to do, so you're not stressed on time.

And depending on your speed, you’ll want to plan your ride around daylight in the winter months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003