Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1323090447011598347

Marvelous job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It'd be funny to see some Trumpkin perpwalked because absolutely nobody could shut up about it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

saintonan posted:

It'd be funny to see some Trumpkin perpwalked because absolutely nobody could shut up about it.

False flag

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1323106384943218691

Regardless of our deep cynicism, polls are close as gently caress and now this is going to be the top campaign related story in Texas. This is the kind of things that is supposedly revolting the suburban women and college+ from and causing them to desert him in hordes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't get this. If you're committed to voting straight ticking, taking the 5 extra seconds to manually fill in every R/D box is not that hard

It takes like a minute on a paper ballot, which is totally doable, but long enough to feel inconvenient. Especially if you're self-conscious about making sure the whole box is filled.

I dislike straight-ticket voting in the same general way I dislike the whole two-party system, but if you live under a one party autocracy, you don't break the hegemony by being picky.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1323106384943218691

Regardless of our deep cynicism, polls are close as gently caress and now this is going to be the top campaign related story in Texas. This is the kind of things that is supposedly revolting the suburban women and college+ from and causing them to desert him in hordes.

I mean, POLLS have Biden WINNING in TEXAS. I feel like this has got to be mind boggling for you guys down there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Biden +1 Cornyn +3 would be the most Texas option, so that's now what I hope for

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Grondoth posted:

I mean, POLLS have Biden WINNING in TEXAS. I feel like this has got to be mind boggling for you guys down there.

Generations of getting battered down under the weight of corruption coming from conservatives in this state makes it very easy to carve these polls out of reality with a finely honed blade of cynicism. Like how I said I'd believe Beto beat Cruz when he answered his first roll call in the senate, I'll believe Biden could beat Trump here only after the EC vote is certified.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

It's things like this, combined with the positive polls results and early voting data in just the right areas, that give me some cause for optimism.

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1323101975576281088

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grondoth posted:

We don’t believe em. Yeah I know what I said

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm not disparaging it but who do calls/texts actually motivate? I get dozens of them I don't respond to and occasionally respond "yes biden rocks i vote democrat" or whatever which doesn't help stem the tide at all.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not disparaging it but who do calls/texts actually motivate? I get dozens of them I don't respond to and occasionally respond "yes biden rocks i vote democrat" or whatever which doesn't help stem the tide at all.

I'm trying to figure out how many different phonebanking lists I'm on, and which ones don't have updated records on who has already voted. I have noticed that my wife only got texts about voting, whereas I get texts about voting and texts asking me to volunteer. I'm already doing lit drops for Travis County Dems, so I'm kind of set for my volunteering before the election.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the point of those is to bother/annoy/remind people who lean democrat or re in any way associated to make sure they vote. Democrats are flighty voters but Republicans are guarantees.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How are you Texans feeling about Biden's chances here? Optimistic?

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
biden's not winning texas but he'll win the election

then not do anything for 4 years so trump 2.0 swoops in and marks the rise of the fourth reich

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They're not designed to non-specifically make people feel motivated, they are either to 1) ask for money 2) get you to volunteer or 3) encourage you to vote/confirm you have voted

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I'm trying to figure out how many different phonebanking lists I'm on, and which ones don't have updated records on who has already voted. I have noticed that my wife only got texts about voting, whereas I get texts about voting and texts asking me to volunteer. I'm already doing lit drops for Travis County Dems, so I'm kind of set for my volunteering before the election.

im doing lit drops (well... staging location vol) in travis too :)

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Grouchio posted:

He'll lose, but the gap between him and Trump will be small enough to give Republicans the heebie-jeebies. When it comes to Texas (as opposed to the nation as a whole) I'm more interested in the down-ballet races. I do think the Dems can add to their wins from 2018, though I'm not sure by how much. Hopefully enough to change the awful gerrymandering.

e. Oh, and thanks for getting involved in Travis, TropicalCoke and Mistaken Frisbee. I had planned to volunteer this summer, but between unemployment woes and losing my dog I just didn't have it in me. Thanks for taking up the slack. :unsmith:

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 2, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

get ur votes in

https://strawpoll.com/6u7p3v3vs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LegendaryFrog posted:

It's things like this, combined with the positive polls results and early voting data in just the right areas, that give me some cause for optimism.

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1323101975576281088

Beto probably would have run ahead of Biden and every time I see him I can only think about how he mounted a quixotic presidential campaign instead of running for Senate again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pride maybe? I don’t know but despite his failed bid I was a big fan of his mobilization efforts and am really happy he decided to keep on trying to get Texans to vote/care about politics because holy poo poo do we not give a gently caress.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

When everybody keeps telling you "wow you only lost by a little bit instead of a lot, you're way better than everybody else we've tried! YOU SHOULD BE IN CHARGE!" what else can you do but try :shrug:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

iconic

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

jokes posted:

Pride maybe? I don’t know but despite his failed bid I was a big fan of his mobilization efforts and am really happy he decided to keep on trying to get Texans to vote/care about politics because holy poo poo do we not give a gently caress.

Didn't Obama encourage him? Hard to resist the previous two President from your party telling you to give it a shot.

If Texas flips he might make a good head of the DNC.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't Obama encourage him? Hard to resist the previous two President from your party telling you to give it a shot.

no it was obama's campaign people that whispered into his ear, the podjons

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

He’s better than a lot of higher ups in the DNC for actually getting voters. His same philosophy about Texas’s voter behavior (it’s not a Republican state it’s a non-voting state) is true for the US as a whole. I bet if voting was compulsory we’d see a whole lot less of the GOP.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Grouchio posted:

I don’t think Biden will pull off the upset in Texas but it looks better than it did in 2018 which was already pretty close. I am pretty worried about MAGA’s causing trouble at polling locations though.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don't get this. If you're committed to voting straight ticking, taking the 5 extra seconds to manually fill in every R/D box is not that hard

I would think that the extra time needed for people to fill out the ballots and double-check that they filled them out correctly adds up. Given the pandemic, I would think anything that could make a line smaller and faster would be good.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I would think that the extra time needed for people to fill out the ballots and double-check that they filled them out correctly adds up. Given the pandemic, I would think anything that could make a line smaller and faster would be good.

Its this. Pair that with strategically placed far fewer polling locations and almost 1/10th the election budget in Harris this year and you'd have a far more suppressed vote. You'd get stories every day of hours long lines discouraging people from even bothering to show up.

But Beto flipped it in 18 and here we are.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Agreed that Beto would be a good candidate to lead the DNC. Someone with a focus on voter mobilization and engagement at the state level can ensure the party doesn't get destroyed on local issues like the last decade.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

b0ng posted:

I don’t think Biden will pull off the upset in Texas but it looks better than it did in 2018 which was already pretty close. I am pretty worried about MAGA’s causing trouble at polling locations though.

even if they do this, im not sure how effective it will be. the dems have pushed early voting so hard that all theyll end up doing is intimidating eachother.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Charlz Guybon posted:

If Texas flips he might make a good head of the DNC.
We're talking about someone who self sabotaged his campaign by talking about banning assault rifles and dropped a f bomb during the concession speech. He doesn't have a realistic shot of winning anything in the red states after that fiasco. Interestingly, we're seeing the same thing happen with MJ Hegar, where John Cornyn pointed out her propensity for using profanity and MJ Hegar responded by cussing up a storm. I am rooting for Hegar, but she is making the same mistakes Beto did. If you want to win Texas, you have to court conservative boomers. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Beto might have a chance if he relocated to a blue state though. His senate run was one of the most painful cringe inducing things I've sat through. It hurts me to think that in an alternate universe, he could have played the game properly, and beat out Ted Cruz.

Grouchio posted:

The problem is that Trump supporters tend to keep quiet. Look at how goons swarm Trump supporters and bully them until they leave. What ends up happening is an echo chamber type scenario, where Trump supporters lurk in the dark until election day. I suspect the cities will go blue, as they usually do. But Biden will never win the rural votes. I have a feeling Trump will lose the popular vote, but win the election.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea when I think trump supporter I think quiet and coy

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

yea when I think trump supporter I think quiet and coy
This post illustrates my point. They're stereotyped and attacked. The truth is most Trump voters are middle class boomers. Both of my parents are voting for him and so is everyone attending their church. My dad drives a Tesla, and not a 4x4. They wear masks when they're in public.

I stand by my point. Majority of Trump supporters aren't part of the Y'all Qaeda movement.

We have had record turn outs, but it'll be interesting to see if it will be enough to flip the state.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Beto messed up in being temped by the prospect of being president and failing badly, leaving it likely that Cornyn will be re-elected. It sucks, but that's the way it worked out and I'm over it by this point. Since then he's done an incredible job in creating a movement of folks getting people registered and getting people out to vote and that's commendable.

Bioshuffle posted:

Beto might have a chance if he relocated to a blue state though. His senate run was one of the most painful cringe inducing things I've sat through. It hurts me to think that in an alternate universe, he could have played the game properly, and beat out Ted Cruz.

The Senate run where Cruz beat him 51-48 in a mid-term election was cringe-inducing? He played the game about as properly as he could have.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Bizarro Watt posted:

Beto messed up in being temped by the prospect of being president and failing badly, leaving it likely that Cornyn will be re-elected. It sucks, but that's the way it worked out and I'm over it by this point. Since then he's done an incredible job in creating a movement of folks getting people registered and getting people out to vote and that's commendable.

The Senate run where Cruz beat him 51-48 in a mid-term election was cringe-inducing? He played the game about as properly as he could have.
It was cringe inducing because if he hadn't had that gaff about banning rifles (in Texas of all places), evidence indicates that he could have won the dammed thing.

It's not as if he lost in a blowout. If he had played the cards right, he could have won.

I think a close loss is more painful than a race where you never had a shot to begin with.

Edit: wrong campaign

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 2, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh how many IGs has this appeared on

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Cen-Tex whaddup

https://twitter.com/AlexMohajer/status/1322765242468716544?s=20

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Bioshuffle posted:

It was cringe inducing because if he hadn't had that gaff about banning rifles (in Texas of all places), evidence indicates that he could have won the dammed thing.

It's not as if he lost in a blowout. If he had played the cards right, he could have won.

I think a close loss is more painful than a race where you never had a shot to begin with.
Beto said the rifle thing in 2019. He lost to Cruz in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Hawkline posted:

Beto said the rifle thing in 2019. He lost to Cruz in 2018.

Whoops! You're totally right. I got my campaigns mixed up. I stand corrected. The rifle comment was what derailed his presidential campaign, not senate.

Did he have any notable gaffes during the senate race then?