Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Classes would probably just work like races do in Skyrim. A few skills start a little bit higher and maybe an extra spell or power. I could see Spellcrafting coming back, very few predicted Enchanting returning after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

hawowanlawow posted:

they definitely will never do that, but yeah I agree

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Add javelins it'd be nice to have another ranged option for melee characters. And throwing axes

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i want the next es to go bugfuck crazy w/ skills. gimme dancing, gimme elaborate baking and cooking systems, gimme carpentry and fishing and underwater basket weaving

also let us climb walls and fly again

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Oblivion had perks (kinda) and classes.

Granted, you didn't get a perk tree. It was just an automatic perk upon reaching a skill level that's a multiple of 25.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I wouldn't mind seeing holidays and knightly orders make a comeback if we're making wishlists

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing holidays and knightly orders make a comeback if we're making wishlists

wait did holidays come up in older ES games?

I know in Fallout 4 the two big towns (okay, the two only towns) had decorations for Halloween and Christmas, which was a nice touch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One of the worst perks (that I've experienced, there are likely worse ones but I haven't seen them all) is the one in the Alchemy tree that lets you learn 2, 3, and then 4 effects from eating ingredients.

That perk sucks because it's too expensive; by the time you get around to getting all 4, you likely know all of them anyway just from trying out different potions. They should have either made that perk introductory and much, MUCH cheaper (maybe needing your Alchemy skill to be at 20 for 2 effects, 25 for 3, and 30 for 4), OR prevent the discovery of effects from mixing potions. The latter is super unrealistic, but we're also dealing with a game whose lore involves 6 different cataclysmic events happening in a very large area of the world, all at the same time, all existing within the same universe, and also not.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Wolfsheim posted:

wait did holidays come up in older ES games?

I know in Fallout 4 the two big towns (okay, the two only towns) had decorations for Halloween and Christmas, which was a nice touch.

Daggerfall had a bunch, mostly they were just random free healing days at temples, but the little flavor text was great.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Holidays

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Fuligin posted:

i want the next es to go bugfuck crazy w/ skills. gimme dancing, gimme elaborate baking and cooking systems, gimme carpentry and fishing and underwater basket weaving

also let us climb walls and fly again

we know from fo4 that the opposite will happen

you'll get a kewl sidequest with a canned dance scene though :)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The next es game should have lots of elves for me to kill

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

VostokProgram posted:

The next es game should have lots of elves for me to kill

And lots of elves to romance

Just lots more elves in general, thank you very much

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Deltasquid posted:

And lots of elves to romance

Just lots more elves in general, thank you very much

SPREAD

YOUR WINGS

AURORAN GOLDEN EAGLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0euHPT3cXk

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm installing Skyrim SE now. I was happy with LE, I had almost zero crashes or whatever, but I found a bunch of mods only for SE so I'm trying it.

Lot of really neat sounding Civil War expansion mods. But this is the real gem for me, something I never even thought to look for.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16741?tab=description

I hate reading books in Skyrim. The font sucks or something. I read all day in Morrowind but never in Skyrim because of the ext. Now I find this? Glorious, glorious day.

I also found this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/24808

I can't do 'you can be everything" games. I like Classes. But ya know, this isn't a real criticism from me because Skyrim is far and away the best selling TES game while Final Fantasy Vii is far and away the best selling and most popular FF game. I know correlation is not causation but I'm just saying this sort of "everyone can do everything" thing might be popular with the average gamer and it's just old bastards like me who complain about wanting classes. So just like I can't expect Final Fantasy to ever go back to turn-based gameplay, I can't expect TES to have old style classes. I'll just use mods.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The civil war in skyrim is so poorly handled by the scale of the combat that the next elder scrolls game should only have you bn participate in eventseading up to whatever climax will happen.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Like say next game takes place in hammerfell or whatever and halfway through the main quest after getting a plot coupon you get some letters from agents of free hammerfell, the empire(s?) and the aldermi dominion asking if you would be willing to work with them. So you go along with the faction of your choice and go find whatever artifacts of doom and intel that faction needs until they feel strong enough to defend/invade hammerfell. Maybe throw in a go your own way option if you feel spicy. What I don't want to do though is to do a fetch quest for magical war crimes.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Like say next game takes place in hammerfell or whatever and halfway through the main quest after getting a plot coupon you get some letters from agents of free hammerfell, the empire(s?) and the aldermi dominion asking if you would be willing to work with them. So you go along with the faction of your choice and go find whatever artifacts of doom and intel that faction needs until they feel strong enough to defend/invade hammerfell. Maybe throw in a go your own way option if you feel spicy. What I don't want to do though is to do a fetch quest for magical war crimes.

Sounds pretty close to the endings of Daggerfall. You get the Mantella or whatever, everyone has a big battle with each other and a big fuckoff brass golem is summoned and gods are being created, but you're just told that in the epilogue.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean I think looking to Fallout 4 will give you a better idea of how Bethesda is likely to handle faction warfare...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

Sounds pretty close to the endings of Daggerfall. You get the Mantella or whatever, everyone has a big battle with each other and a big fuckoff brass golem is summoned and gods are being created, but you're just told that in the epilogue.

yeah pretty much

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
TES never quite ditched the vibe of "8 guys having a slap fight outside Bravil" for anything large scale they attempt so I wholeheartedly agree

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

One of the few reasons Bethesda has given for the huge gap between Skyrim and TESVI (likely thirteen years) is "we're waiting for hardware to improve" (read: a better console generation), which also conveniently gives them more time to work on the engine.

In one of the announcements from when the Microsoft deal was announced, one of the Bethesda heads (Todd?) mentioned that the engine hadn't been this drastically overhauled since Oblivion, by which I'm assuming they mean Morrowind-to-Oblivion, rather than Oblivion-to-Fallout 3.

I'm fairly sure that one of the big things they wanted to work on was NPC quantity, like can you imagine what it must've been like to actually have to design and implement the Civil War with so few active NPCs at a time, must've been an exercise in frustration.

God, I can't wait to see what odd behaviours we'll get with this one.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah if there's one thing to be excited about with regards to the Microsoft acquisition it's that BGS now has access to some of the best programmers in the business, to get that engine purring.

The only thing I fear is losing mods. That's it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The mods probably stay, games for windows live whatever microsoft calls it now might not let you unistall all your games but it does let you put mods in now.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm installing Skyrim SE now. I was happy with LE, I had almost zero crashes or whatever, but I found a bunch of mods only for SE so I'm trying it.

Lot of really neat sounding Civil War expansion mods. But this is the real gem for me, something I never even thought to look for.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16741?tab=description

I hate reading books in Skyrim. The font sucks or something. I read all day in Morrowind but never in Skyrim because of the ext. Now I find this? Glorious, glorious day.

I love reading ES books, but I have to be in a certain mood. Sometimes all I wanna do is loot chests and rag doll bandits instead.

They should bring Patrick Stewart back to voice all Vivec’s sermons.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Bethesda game without mods would be dead in six months. But I guess by that point they would have already made back their money?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

VostokProgram posted:

A Bethesda game without mods would be dead in six months. But I guess by that point they would have already made back their money?

Bethesda sells more per console than PC and released Skyrim on like five different unmoddable consoles over a decade bruh

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i wonder what size armies fighting each other could be handled by Daggerfall on a modern pc. or Daggerfall Unity.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

One of the few reasons Bethesda has given for the huge gap between Skyrim and TESVI (likely thirteen years) is "we're waiting for hardware to improve" (read: a better console generation), which also conveniently gives them more time to work on the engine.

In one of the announcements from when the Microsoft deal was announced, one of the Bethesda heads (Todd?) mentioned that the engine hadn't been this drastically overhauled since Oblivion, by which I'm assuming they mean Morrowind-to-Oblivion, rather than Oblivion-to-Fallout 3.

I'm fairly sure that one of the big things they wanted to work on was NPC quantity, like can you imagine what it must've been like to actually have to design and implement the Civil War with so few active NPCs at a time, must've been an exercise in frustration.

God, I can't wait to see what odd behaviours we'll get with this one.

I'm sure technical limitations played a role in the civil war feeling lackluster, but really, there's only so much they can do without expanding the world size. Without bigger battlefields, there are only so many soldiers you can squeeze into a battle without it turning into a complete clusterfuck. Which means you need bigger cities with more complex city walls that can accomodate more defenders, larger expanses between cities, etc.

You can have a giant RPG featuring warfare and epic battles, or you can have a more tightly designed experience. Bethesda seems to want to do the tightly designed open world thing and big epic battles at the same time, which just doesn't work. If you want one of those to be the focus, you will have to compromise on the other point. I get the feeling that Bethesda will continue down the path of having medium-small but intricately designed open worlds, which means the big battles they'll inevitably shove into that world will end up feeling lackluster again, like TES IV and V, and FO3 and 4 before it. They just can't help themselves when it comes to lame battle sequences.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, in all honesty, I think it's a mistake for Bethesda to try to go for large scale epic fantasy battles kinda deal. Like evidently it feels like a remnant of the LoTR era for Obligion and Skyrim, where they tried to emulate that high despite the engine just not working for it.

In TES, you're an adventurer, usually crawling through backwater places, thieving, delving in a dungeon etc.

I think Bethesda could try to develop a more intricate dueling system of sorts and get wayyyy more mileage out of a plotline that hinges on individual 1v1 combats (even in Skyrim's setting that could have worked, if you made it so there was a truce between the Empire and Nords and both are trying to recruit the dragonborn as an apolitical force of nature to just start challenging the enemy's generals for 1v1 duels and ending the war that way).

I would be really happy if the plot in TES6 dovetails more nicely with the diplomacy/subterfuge angle of politics in High Rock. Having a high-stakes duel with a political rival in his great hall as the audience gasps and cheers with every parry and riposte, or ambushing an important nobleman when he's traveling and cutting down three of his guards like you're Inigo Montaya before fighting him 1v1, all sound endlessly more enjoyable than having 6 guys in a field whiffing at another 6 guys in a field and calling it the "Battle for Anvil" or whatever. Put it on a gallant vs rogue scale where assassinating and underhanded roguery puts you on one end, and challenging your enemies to an open duel puts you on the other end, and have each of the main quests be viable in either direction.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I usually don't fight much in TES games because I'm usually playing hide and seek, but I'd probably be more inclined to do a fighting build if the swordfighting was more like Kingdom Come : Deliverance (but maybe a bit less janky).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I've never played Kingdom Come but even something like a janky version of Chivalry would help a lot

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't mind the small size of the civil war, it was almost weirdly large as it was. Small 3 soldier patrols, about 10 soldiers at the camps and suddenly large endless spawning waves during the crappy fort battles. The whole thing felt more like it was mostly fought with skirmishers which would fit the low population shown around the province (excluding the ten million bandits of course). It was more the low effort, low quality and how it didn't really affect or change anything when you won it.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah, in all honesty, I think it's a mistake for Bethesda to try to go for large scale epic fantasy battles kinda deal. Like evidently it feels like a remnant of the LoTR era for Obligion and Skyrim, where they tried to emulate that high despite the engine just not working for it.

In TES, you're an adventurer, usually crawling through backwater places, thieving, delving in a dungeon etc.

I think Bethesda could try to develop a more intricate dueling system of sorts and get wayyyy more mileage out of a plotline that hinges on individual 1v1 combats (even in Skyrim's setting that could have worked, if you made it so there was a truce between the Empire and Nords and both are trying to recruit the dragonborn as an apolitical force of nature to just start challenging the enemy's generals for 1v1 duels and ending the war that way).

I would be really happy if the plot in TES6 dovetails more nicely with the diplomacy/subterfuge angle of politics in High Rock. Having a high-stakes duel with a political rival in his great hall as the audience gasps and cheers with every parry and riposte, or ambushing an important nobleman when he's traveling and cutting down three of his guards like you're Inigo Montaya before fighting him 1v1, all sound endlessly more enjoyable than having 6 guys in a field whiffing at another 6 guys in a field and calling it the "Battle for Anvil" or whatever. Put it on a gallant vs rogue scale where assassinating and underhanded roguery puts you on one end, and challenging your enemies to an open duel puts you on the other end, and have each of the main quests be viable in either direction.

Yeah they missed a trick not bringing the Arena back for Skyrim

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The civil war questline would have best been served by missions that are small raids. Sabotage, stealing intelligence, supporting partisans, etc. Those sorts of missions would only require combat against a few NPCs at a time, and could be much more detailed and unique. The dragonborn isn't a frontline grunt or even an officer, they're special forces.

Sneak into a Stormcloak vessel in dawnstar harbor and plant a magic bomb. Ambush an important imperial commander while he's traveling from solitude to Whiterun. Use some clay to make a copy of General Tullius's personal seal so that the Stormcloaks can fake conflicting Imperial orders and send the enemy into complete disarray before the final battle. These sorts of missions would be so much more interesting than "here's a fort, let's have a 50v50 brawl".

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

So, a blade.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

The civil war questline would have best been served by missions that are small raids. Sabotage, stealing intelligence, supporting partisans, etc. Those sorts of missions would only require combat against a few NPCs at a time, and could be much more detailed and unique. The dragonborn isn't a frontline grunt or even an officer, they're special forces.

Sneak into a Stormcloak vessel in dawnstar harbor and plant a magic bomb. Ambush an important imperial commander while he's traveling from solitude to Whiterun. Use some clay to make a copy of General Tullius's personal seal so that the Stormcloaks can fake conflicting Imperial orders and send the enemy into complete disarray before the final battle. These sorts of missions would be so much more interesting than "here's a fort, let's have a 50v50 brawl".
That sounds like a great way to handle it.

Except competent.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

This is an incredibly good idea, this is the Civil War overhaul we needed. That said I do worry about what some of these missions would be like for non-stealthy characters.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ThaumPenguin posted:

This is an incredibly good idea, this is the Civil War overhaul we needed. That said I do worry about what some of these missions would be like for non-stealthy characters.

Multiple paths to success, and maybe a helper npc like a special follower.

"You'll be assisted on this mission by one of our agents, choose wisely":

A big loud brute - causes mayhem and/or distracts guards and patrols so sneaky players can complete the mission. Gives you a timer at stages before guards start coming back.

A sneaky spy guy - breaks into wherever while you fight off a pile of mooks or act like a distraction breaking poo poo or setting fires. You need to stay alive or kill X baddies or your spy gets caught.

That said, it would take a lot of faith I don't have that Bethesda could code missions like this that don't have your Brute guy suddenly and randomly launching himself into orbit or your spy guy getting stuck in a wall permanently.

But I suppose at this point that would just be part of the charm.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah basically this is my wishlist for a war/invasion questline in tes 6, it just makes more sense for you to act as an agent than leading dudes unless we got a party/mass combat system for big battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's been a while since I've played them, but most of the Skyrim civil war quests were small scale operations. Each hold ended on a fort raid that was you and 4 respawning dudes vs 4 respawning dudes or whatever, but the quests prior were smaller targets.

I can't remember them all, but you had to intercept a stormcloak courier to obtain and forge documents, blackmail the Riften steward, raid a stormcloak caravan, and bust some prisoners out.

I imagine if the civil war was even remotely finished, there'd have been more stuff like that.