Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

I aggressively urge you to look up the myriad of reasons as to why they seem to ~mysteriously~ barely vote. the answers may surprise you!
disenfranchisement? in my two party system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Last election I had to wait 5 minutes in queue and that was the longest I had experienced in almost 20 years of voting.

If we had the same insane amount of hurdles and waiting time just to vote for the guy we object to the least, we would probably even lower voter participation than US. Since the political parties here are less polarized and mostly supports continuing the current political system, it seems (for an outsider at least) that the difference between the democrats and the republicans is far bigger than between AP and Høyre.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Frekkie Melody posted:

Not an attitude that most poor minorities in the US can afford to adopt.

You need to earn at least this much money with employer founded healthcare on top before you can afford to shrug your shoulders over this election.

Biden is not for a public healthcare option, nor is the democratic establishment significantly more solidaric with poor Americans than the Republicans are so I fail to see how that affects anything. If the candidate was Bernie, and the Dems made health care for all an issue they were going to the polls for then sure, but Biden is spending his time making it clear he is not for health care for all. Shrugging ones shoulders over the election is perfectly reasonable, especially if you're a poor minority, as a great number of them do every election.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

US voters can easily experience longer waiting times for a single election than a Danish voter might experience for every single election they participate in. Even if they had better options, that’s a huge barrier to voting. I really can’t in good conscious dismiss skipping that as shrugging. Like, what do you think the effect would be here if you did the same in poorer neighborhoods here?
If you live in a small town in Denmark like I do, there is basically no waiting time - so I would be entirely unsurprising that even if every single minute I've spent in an election waiting line is added up, it won't come even close to the time the average American spends, let alone all those semi-disenfranchised by the amount of bullshit in the American election system.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Would it even matter if the president supported public healthcare? I mean, the guaranteed republican senate would block any meaningful reforms anyway. I don't even know how you could expect anything at all from a democratic system of government where things like filibustering are not just possible but a regular occurrence and has been for over a century. How is anyone supposed to have any faith in the system when active sabotage against it from within is perfectly acceptable?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 31, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TheFluff posted:

How is anyone supposed to have any faith in the system when active sabotage against it from within is perfectly acceptable?
You mean to tell me that's not the point?
Because Usania doesn't have a democratically elected government, nor is it representative.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You mean to tell me that's not the point?
Because Usania doesn't have a democratically elected government, nor is it representative.

Of course they don't, but some of them like to pretend they do.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've had to wait in line exactly once, when I had to vote at Copenhagen city hall. It took maybe 15 minutes and I was behind a scruffy guy wearing an actual tinfoil hat and muttering to himself. It was a heartening experience, all in all.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

Since the political parties here are less polarized and mostly supports continuing the current political system, it seems (for an outsider at least) that the difference between the democrats and the republicans is far bigger than between AP and Høyre.

It seems to me to be all theater. The democrat and republican establishments agree on the majority of issues regarding how society should be structured. This is why they focus on morality politics, with the most common wedges being abortion, gun laws and identity issues. That's not to say that those issues aren't important, but when it comes to economic policy or foreign policy, both parties are imperialists and neoliberals. The democrats are already sending up trial balloons for running austerity policies during their next term, using the debt as an excuse.

Given that neither party shows any interest in helping anyone in the working class, I don't think it is terribly surprising that poor people don't turn out to vote, when it is such a pain to do in the US. Why waste 8 hours you probably don't have to spare, to vote for someone who won't lift a finger to help you?

At least here (DK), the parties make some of the right noises before elections, even if they often fail to follow through (e.g. Radikale just gave the government carte blance to drop climate change from their agenda). Since I've never spent more than 5 minutes voting, it's a much smaller investment as well.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

TheFluff posted:

Would it even matter if the president supported public healthcare? I mean, the guaranteed republican senate would block any meaningful reforms anyway.

Yeah, but in theory having a president who was willing to put it on the agenda could have helped expose the faultlines in American politics and politicized the disenfranchised to a degree not seen in American politics in a long while. It could have born fruit eventually, which is part of why even the democratic establishment had to squash Bernie.

We will never know for sure if Bernie could have been a real wrench in the American political machine, but it is clear that nobody in power wanted to risk it.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The coverage of the US election in Norway seems pretty even handed to me. If Trump comes out looking worse it`s simply because his gently caress-ups are more numerous and more serious then Biden`s. My only complaint is that our media should tone down the coverage by about 25%, let`s not forget that events are also unfolding elsewhere.
I have to say i am suprised to learn the Swedish media takes a friendlier tone with Trump. I expect that of Denmark but not Sweden.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah i agree with that. on the other hand, we're imperial periphery and it behooves us to pay attention to the centre

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

I was listening to the government radio in Sweden and the election coverage went like this:

Both candidates certainly like to take liberties with the truth. For example last week Trump said this

[insert clip of Trump grossly mishandling the pandemic]

Meanwhile his opponent, Joe Biden was telling a story the numbers seem to change depending on when he tells it

[insert clip of Biden doing his folksy routine while telling some story about a brave soldier in Iraq]

[same story but now 5 days become 7 days or something like that]

Meanwhile concerns have been raised that the US can ill afford a Biden presidency in such trying times. That a firm hand is needed to handle the current US foreign policy situation. MMmmmhmmm

Sometimes they cut to a Swedish corespondent in the US who will tell horror stories about antifa riots and Bidens failure to condemn it.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Isn't 75 % of swedish economy controlled by a dozen families, or has that fallen lately? I would expect they have a lot of ECOMONY opinions.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Rincewinds posted:

Isn't 75 % of swedish economy controlled by a dozen families, or has that fallen lately? I would expect they have a lot of ECOMONY opinions.

Most of them don't pay taxes in Sweden. And those that do. Get a ton of government money for social services like eldercare, hyresbidrag, medicine etc.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baudolino posted:

The coverage of the US election in Norway seems pretty even handed to me.

Yeah, the media is terrified of looking like they have a bias. Which makes it impossible for them to actually say that racist policies are racist policies.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Blm got mostly positive coverage. The wall has mostly been shown in a bad ligth. Not sure if i agree with you on that.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Last election or the one before probably, some kind of IT broke down at my polling place in Copenhagen

:confused: But it's all paper. IT shouldn't affect the time it takes to vote.

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008

Steen71 posted:

Registration? In Norway they register you on computer when you vote (vote is still paper), but at least they have a backup on paper if the IT breaks down.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's always baffled me how people seem to think that tech is necessarily better

i remember completely blowing up at a Liberal who was going on about the potential savings involved in moving to electronic voting machines and automatic counting once, it was embarrassing

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Steen71 posted:

It was super dumb I'm sure, but I only got the explanation passed down along the queue... I think it was the bit where you trade in your postcard thingie for an actual ballot that was the problem. The last few elections, the process has been scan the ballot using IT, confirm birthday, get ballot, vote. I guess the scanner didn't work/connect to anything, and no one could figure out how to use the old school books like in days of yore.

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

it's always baffled me how people seem to think that tech is necessarily better

i remember completely blowing up at a Liberal who was going on about the potential savings involved in moving to electronic voting machines and automatic counting once, it was embarrassing

Isn't most paper elections automatically counted? I know they are in Norway at least. Before the previous election activists were able to get them to do a manual count as well, but from Twitter I understand the process was really poo poo. If there were discrepancy between the manual and automatic count then they would just count it automatically again and if it matched the first automatic count then they were happy. Holy hell.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Denmark we still count by hand. The parties are required/requested (I'm not sure) to supply the counters, which always struck me as odd.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Thlom posted:

Isn't most paper elections automatically counted? I know they are in Norway at least. Before the previous election activists were able to get them to do a manual count as well, but from Twitter I understand the process was really poo poo. If there were discrepancy between the manual and automatic count then they would just count it automatically again and if it matched the first automatic count then they were happy. Holy hell.

idk i haven't done it for a while but i used to man the polls and do counting at my local school before i moved where i live now, and i was definitely counting paper ballots and sorting them into little stacks according to party, noting personal votes etc. last election i did that for was 2015 and i cannot remember any automatic count

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

BonHair posted:

In Denmark we still count by hand. The parties are required/requested (I'm not sure) to supply the counters, which always struck me as odd.

parties have a vested interest in getting their share of votes, so you get to have them both do the work and control each other. imo it makes sense in a multiparty system

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

parties have a vested interest in getting their share of votes, so you get to have them both do the work and control each other. imo it makes sense in a multiparty system

I wonder if voter registration fraud would preclude a party from supplying counters.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 2, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I sure hope there's some sort of checking by another party. Because otherwise, I'm signing up for counting. At last, Kærlighedspartiet* will have the votes they deserve!

*PYF funny local list. I also appreciate En Død Hest.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

Counting by hand is the safest system. Have representatives from all the major parties each look at a ballot and then agree on who the vote is for.

The process scales upwards to infinity as well. More people, more voters, more people to count votes.

You could never trust a machine to do any of it.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Speaking of Norwegian coverage of the US election. Dagens Næringslivs editorial today although it as you'd expect writes that Biden should win, also praises Trump's economic policies, saying he's done "many right things".

I think when people say that the right in Scandinavia is farther left than the right in the US and similar they miss that it's what they actually do, and not so much how they understand the world. They just have a lot less wriggle room here for now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

I wonder if voter registration fraud would preclude a party from supplying counters.

Unfortunately it seems she'll be able to use it as yet more fuel for her insane modern-day crusade.

Charlie Hebdo was very clear that they are not denying the use of the cartoons out of fear, but rather because they actually fought and bled and died for freedom of speech, and they don't want that to be misused for a political party's racist agenda.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Swedish coverage, both from right and left leaning newspapers, of the US election is amateur trash level. Tons of "well who knows, anyone can win and there's this single poll saying that Trump will win the popular vote? So I guess it's a coin toss?" without any critical thinking or realistic discussion of the polling aggregates.

Combine that with plenty of articles where an enthusiastic reporter goes to Florida and ask random people and guess what: they found supporters for both Trump and Biden! This guy selling Trump caps says that Trump is great! But this old lady who moved there from Boston is pro Biden! :O

Utter garbage.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Same as the Danish coverage, then. Both sides-ism like crazy, let's hedge our bets so we don't somehow piss off our BIGGEST ALLY WORLD POLICE PROTECTOR OF FREEDOM etc.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Unfortunately it seems she'll be able to use it as yet more fuel for her insane modern-day crusade.

Charlie Hebdo was very clear that they are not denying the use of the cartoons out of fear, but rather because they actually fought and bled and died for freedom of speech, and they don't want that to be misused for a political party's racist agenda.

I'm just :lol:'ing that she's more scared of lawyers than jihadis, probably because they aren't going to be targetting random civilians while she enjoys PET protection.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

lilljonas posted:

Swedish coverage, both from right and left leaning newspapers, of the US election is amateur trash level. Tons of "well who knows, anyone can win and there's this single poll saying that Trump will win the popular vote? So I guess it's a coin toss?" without any critical thinking or realistic discussion of the polling aggregates.

KozmoNaut posted:

Same as the Danish coverage, then. Both sides-ism like crazy, let's hedge our bets so we don't somehow piss off our BIGGEST ALLY WORLD POLICE PROTECTOR OF FREEDOM etc.

Is the implication that we have reliable polls that predict the outcome? Maybe some of what you're complaining about can be explained by the fact that all media got owned hard in the last election? Seems surprisingly level-headed to me if nobody is calling it for either candidate at this point.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

thotsky posted:

Is the implication that we have reliable polls that predict the outcome? Maybe some of what you're complaining about can be explained by the fact that all media got owned hard in the last election? Seems surprisingly level-headed to me if nobody is calling it for either candidate at this point.

I've seen a lot of mentioning of polling errors in 2016 in Swedish media, but nobody mentioning that polling methods have evolved since then. They also forget about 2018, where polling was pretty dead on after said adjustments. They also forget to mention that Biden would still win according to the latest polling with the same pro-Trump polling errors of 2016. All these things are important factors in gauging the likelyhood of the election, and I have yet so see Swedish media understanding them.

These are issues that I feel like having a pretty decent insight in by just reading SA and following the general discourse on polls on like, basic polling nerd youtube channels. While paid reporters are still doing god awful "I walked down a street in Florida and gee whizz there are signs from both candidates!" reports.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 3, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

polling is almost certainly going to be off since they weight by expected turnout and that is by all indications significantly skewed compared to normal years

my gut says this is in biden's favour but who the hell knows

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DN is also a good paper in a lot of ways, i expect that it's pretty naked class interest when they say Trump Did Nothing Wrong

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Søren Pape has COVID-19. Two other MPs as well. Six ministers in quarantine awaiting test results, voting cancelled in parliament.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

lilljonas posted:

following the general discourse on polls on like, basic polling nerd youtube channels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I used to live right by the Copenhagen synagogue, which has been under 24/7 police guard since the attack back in... 2016? Which was not a big deal; a mild day-to-day inconvenience for the peace of mind of Copenhagen’s entire Jewish community is a fair trade.

However, whenever there was assessed to be a higher risk of an attack, they’d upgrade to military protection, stationing fresh-faced teenagers with rifles around the street. This happened basically every time Vermund, Paludan or their ilk pulled a media stunt, and I think at the time I lived there, it averaged out to military guard every other day.

It was a pretty explicit symbol of how hateful and violent their ideology is. I had armed soldiers on my doorstep because there are nazis in the government.