Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

a pipe smoking dog posted:

He would have complained that the way they were digging the mass graves was inefficient.

"Look, I only want to give constructive opposition but we've got all these mass graves and the government just aren't moving to fill them up quick enough, and that's why I want all workers back in the office, back on buses and trains, and I want it yesterday . "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1323215808659656706?s=19

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

"Look, I only want to give constructive opposition but we've got all these mass graves and the government just aren't moving to fill them up quick enough, and that's why I want all workers back in the office, back on buses and trains, and I want it yesterday . "

My message to the Prime Minister: I don't just want all the elderly in mass graves next month, I expect them in mass graves. No ifs, no buts.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Finally we can just nuke the virus

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Why the gently caress did the UK privatize their nuclear arsenal? That's literally the last thing you should hand over to a company. Mostly due to the fact that it shouldn't exist in the first place.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

someone opens up a warhead to find the current standard payload is now three smoke detectors duct taped around a off-brand firework

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why the gently caress did the UK privatize their nuclear arsenal?

In order to perform the main function of government - moving public money into the pockets of billionaires.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The six main nuclear powers, the USA, Russia, France, India, China, and Serco.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1323194892991012866
Can't read the article, but I can imagine ministers being told that the Christmas day front pages will be pictures of bodies being shovelled into mass graves might be why they ended up backing a lockdown.

fun reading:

quote:

"On Friday morning Boris Johnson was said to be determined to avoid a second lockdown. According to those familiar with his thinking his main concern was that it would turn into “Hotel California”, impossible to leave.

“He really didn’t want to do it,” a source said. “He believed that the regional, tiered approach was the best. But the data was bleak and it became clear there was only one way forward.”

At 3.30pm the prime minister met Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, and Matt Hancock, the health secretary, a group informally known as the quad, to discuss the data. Sir Patrick Vallance, chief scientific adviser, and Professor Chris Whitty, chief medical officer for England, attended with Sir Simon Stevens, the head of NHS England.

The figures were dire. Projections from Sage, which were shown to ministers, said present trajectories suggested that the NHS would be unable to accept any more patients by Christmas. If the NHS cancelled all non-urgent operations, capacity would be exceeded by early December, and if the government reduced non-Covid beds by half— which would involve sending seriously ill people home — capacity would still be “burnt through” across most of the country by Christmas week.

The scientists and Mr Hancock were clear. Hospital admissions and deaths were on course to exceed the first wave, with deaths expected to pass 4,000 a day. “They were talking about digging mass graves and people being turned away from hospitals,” one source said. “The doubling rate means we can’t outrun this. We cannot double NHS capacity every ten to 14 days, and a lot of NHS staff will fall ill themselves.”

Mr Sunak, who has been one of the leading opponents of a lockdown, was said to have been largely quiet. “People are pretty clear on his views,” one official said. “He’s been warning of the economic fallout for months.” One government source suggested that the chancellor had considered resigning, something his allies strongly deny.

By the end of the two-hour meeting, which was attended by about 15 people, the decision was made. England was heading for a four-week national lockdown, beginning on Thursday and ending on December 2. Mr Johnson said that the government had been balancing “lives and livelihoods”, but faced with the data had no choice but to act.

Within hours of the meeting closing, however, The Times learnt details of the plans for a national lockdown. The publication of the front page on Twitter on Friday evening, with the headline “National lockdown looms”, was the first most members of the cabinet had heard about it. “We didn’t know anything about it,” one minister said. “It was incredibly frustrating. This has a huge impact on all our policy briefs but they didn’t bring us in on it.”

The leaks forced the prime minister to bring forward the announcement. At 1.30pm on Saturday he convened a meeting of the cabinet over Zoom, at which the chief medical officer and chief scientific adviser presented the data. “The prime minister was clear he didn’t want to be in this place but we had the facts before us,” one minister said. “It was a fait accompli.”

Ministers were still not given all the details. It was only when watching the prime minister’s press conference that evening that most learnt of the furloughing scheme being extended and restored to 80 per cent of wages.

Downing Street, however, says its “full expectation” is that the lockdown will be lifted on December 2, with England returning to the tiered regional approach. “The R rate is nowhere near where it was in March,” a source said. “If people follow the rules the full expectation is we will go back to the tiering system at the start of December.”

There is fury in No 10 over the leak. This weekend all four ministers at the meeting were interviewed as part of an inquiry. The “doves” in the quad — Mr Hancock and Mr Gove, who both pushed for the lockdown — were singled out for blame by a source at The Mail on Sunday, who said a “chatty rat” was responsible. Both deny it. A spokesman for Mr Hancock said: “These claims are categorically untrue and this will be demonstrated by the investigation.”

On the back benches the atmosphere was sulphurous. Some Tory MPs suggested the prime minister should go. “He’s on borrowed time, totally inept,” said one. While nobody realistically expects a prime minister with a majority of 80 to go, it is a measure of the discontent. “I think it could be his Suez,” said a former cabinet minister under Cameron and May. This parallel with the 1950s conflict that led to Anthony Eden’s resignation was cited by many.

Serving ministers, even one-time allies, were shocked too. “He’s been overrun by the virus and by his ‘advisers’,” one minister said. “They are nasty, they misunderstand the parliamentary party, and above all are totally, totally poo poo. Over the last week — with the row over free school meals and this — I think we’ve lost the next election.”

Another minister said: “I think Rishi is going to have to take over. Boris’s brand is being trashed every day.”

The government believes that the public is more understanding. A snap poll by Yougov yesterday showed that 72 per cent of English people backed Mr Johnson’s second lockdown, although it represented a significant fall on the 93 per cent who backed the first.

Tory rebels believe that about 40 of them are likely to vote against the lockdown restrictions on Wednesday. Their row with the government has been played out on the Whatsapp groups.

On Saturday morning Sir Iain Duncan Smith, the former Tory leader and leading lockdown sceptic, chided Nadine Dorries, a health minister, in full view of hundreds of colleagues on the Whatsapp group for Conservative MPs. “This story was deliberately briefed to the papers,” he wrote. “No leak.”

As an unseemly row over how the news found its way to the front pages unfolded, the subtext was clear: as far as many backbenchers opposed to the new measures are concerned, Matt Hancock, Ms Dorries’s boss, is to blame.

Ms Dorries, armed with graphs on new infections and hospital capacity, spent much of yesterday afternoon batting away ill-tempered questions from colleagues. MPs wondered whether Claire Coutinho, a junior member of the Treasury team, was speaking for the chancellor when she demanded data on rising infections in care homes.

“We are trying, Claire. Hospital cases and care home cases are brought in from the community,” Ms Dorries said.

It was among the new intake that the news perhaps hit hardest. In the radio silence before the prime minister’s statement conversations in The 109, the Whatsapp group for new MPs, were inflected with impotent fury. One member reflected: “I’m not convinced Boris can win any vote on these restrictions without Labour votes. Our backbenchers are well pissed.”

Cabinet had overrun and Mr Johnson and officials were not ready until 6.45pm, pushing back the start of Strictly Come Dancing. By the time that he and the scientists took to their podiums at No 10, the mood was acrid.

More experienced heads, however, cautioned that the battle was lost. Robert Goodwill, a former minister, wrote: “I know we’ve all enjoyed whinging this afternoon but if we don’t unite and back Boris over this then we are all f***ed — to coin a phrase,” he wrote.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Necrothatcher posted:

pushing back the start of Strictly Come Dancing

oh the horror

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A bit of local news, we finally won a victory for our community woodlands. For several years we've had to deal with animosity ranging from people yelling "YOU SHOULDN'T BE IN THE WOODS", to the kids from the Forest Schools project coming and finding some grown ups have been in the night and smashed up whatever they were working on. We've now got a public statement from the Parish Council that they will pay for tree care & maintenance, and, importantly, that the woodlands were entrusted to the community by the Coal Board for recreation. We were always right to be encouraging people to use them, and anyone who said otherwise is a oval office. OFFICIAL.

I listened to the recording of the relevant part of the council meeting where as it's being discussed, this one woman keeps naming a company to come in and do an assessment, and they'll take care of the trees, we should give them an ongoing contract, I'm sure we can get them to do bins if we ask, etc etc. Eventually one of the other council members tells her not to get ahead of herself when she says they'll give them a call. I mentioned it to someone this morning and she said "Oh yeah, Derwent Treescapes? That'll be Sue, her brother owns it and she makes sure they get all the outdoor contracts round here whether they need doing or not." loving Tories. Even at Parish Council level!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Robert Fisks articles for Counter Punch after 9/11 played a large part in my radicalisation.

RIP

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol the Tories are going to rebel on a lockdown because the people must be sacrificed

If labour vote for it and it wins I can't see Boris surviving much longer as pm

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jose posted:

Lol the Tories are going to rebel on a lockdown because the people must be sacrificed

There's no way Starmer faces Boris at the next election.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

I can't see Boris surviving much longer

praying for a second round of 'rona.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

Another minister said: “I think Rishi is going to have to take over. Boris’s brand is being trashed every day.”
I know the Tories are a death cult and there was the whole Dishy Rishi thing, but I'm not sure it's the best idea to replace bojo with the guy who insisted even more people die while also loving the economy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the writing between the lines is pretty chilling. ‘We acknowledge mass graves would be required for 4000 deaths a day. No we don’t support lockdown. No we don’t have any suggestions as to alternatives.’

jabby posted:

Problem is half the Tories think he has to go because he’s mismanaged things and let the virus get out of control. The other half are just mad he’s doing anything about it at all. Anyone supporting a Rishi take over is in the latter camp.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 2, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

XMNN posted:

I know the Tories are a death cult and there was the whole Dishy Rishi thing, but I'm not sure it's the best idea to replace bojo with the guy who insisted even more people die while also loving the economy

How many people know this apart from politics nerds though?

All most people know about Sunak is the BBC drew him as Superman because he did such an amazing job saving the economy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

jabby posted:

In my head the plan has always been for Boris to no deal us, then step aside, then a new PM steps in and goes
"Oh dear, what a state that Boris left us in, isn't he a cad. Well, we have to make good of the state we find ourselves in, which is nothing to do with me of course, and leada new eara of hyper austerity. Starmer, well, its a shame he's" spins wheel of hate "A Gay Romanian Muslim."

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Serving ministers, even one-time allies, were shocked too. “He’s been overrun by the virus and by his ‘advisers’,” one minister said. “They are nasty, they misunderstand the parliamentary party, and above all are totally, totally poo poo. Over the last week — with the row over free school meals and this — I think we’ve lost the next election.”

a rare lol in these somber times

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The obvious thing is just for starmer to usher in the megausterity

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Meanwhile in Catalonia

https://twitter.com/iamCiaraKing/status/1323211194052857856

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They won't replace him with Rishi anyway, he's only been a minor character until this season. A series alum like Gove or Hancock is far more likely.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Sanford posted:

I listened to the recording of the relevant part of the council meeting where as it's being discussed, this one woman keeps naming a company to come in and do an assessment, and they'll take care of the trees, we should give them an ongoing contract, I'm sure we can get them to do bins if we ask, etc etc. Eventually one of the other council members tells her not to get ahead of herself when she says they'll give them a call. I mentioned it to someone this morning and she said "Oh yeah, Derwent Treescapes? That'll be Sue, her brother owns it and she makes sure they get all the outdoor contracts round here whether they need doing or not." loving Tories. Even at Parish Council level!

What are you waiting for, if they want to act like Tories, leak it to the local press. poo poo all will happen but you might get a few funny Facebook community arguments out of it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sanford posted:

A bit of local news, we finally won a victory for our community woodlands. For several years we've had to deal with animosity ranging from people yelling "YOU SHOULDN'T BE IN THE WOODS", to the kids from the Forest Schools project coming and finding some grown ups have been in the night and smashed up whatever they were working on. We've now got a public statement from the Parish Council that they will pay for tree care & maintenance, and, importantly, that the woodlands were entrusted to the community by the Coal Board for recreation. We were always right to be encouraging people to use them, and anyone who said otherwise is a oval office. OFFICIAL.

That sounds great, but what's the context of this? What were people working on that subsequently got destroyed? Why would people want to stop others from going into the woods?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ The bags of dog poo poo economy must flow.

Jose posted:

Labour will abstain, allowing it to go through because sir Ken honestly believes that the public (even brain diseased fbpes, who are still inexplicably his base) check voting records and will admire that they didn't involve themselves in the vote.

Rather than the reality that they have been repeatedly letting this poo poo happen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/hansmollman/status/1323243677326729216?s=20

Good news, gin o'clock is now 11:11am on the 11th November.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That sounds great, but what's the context of this? What were people working on that subsequently got destroyed? Why would people want to stop others from going into the woods?

People with houses that back onto woodland get very defensive of other people going into it. Its 'their' woods after all.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
gently caress's sake. My wife's van was stolen earlier this year (and was promptly used in several high-end bike thefts), and to add insult to injury she then got a ticket from a private parking company because it was left in the grounds of some luxury flats. She told them the circumstances, gave them the police crime number as evidence of the date of the theft, and thought that was the end of it. Nope: she's now had a letter (claiming she hadn't responded to the original bill) threatening a visit from a "doorstep collection agency" if she doesn't pay up double the original amount, and when she called again to explain was verbally abused and basically told "we don't give a poo poo that it was stolen, pay us or go to court."

Anyone had experience dealing with these kinds of parasites?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Payndz posted:

gently caress's sake. My wife's van was stolen earlier this year (and was promptly used in several high-end bike thefts), and to add insult to injury she then got a ticket from a private parking company because it was left in the grounds of some luxury flats. She told them the circumstances, gave them the police crime number as evidence of the date of the theft, and thought that was the end of it. Nope: she's now had a letter (claiming she hadn't responded to the original bill) threatening a visit from a "doorstep collection agency" if she doesn't pay up double the original amount, and when she called again to explain was verbally abused and basically told "we don't give a poo poo that it was stolen, pay us or go to court."

do they actually have any legal grounds to collect here, or is it a case where they get increasingly threatening because that's literally all they can do

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Payndz posted:

Tell them you'll see them in court and ask them to serve you papers - a judge would laugh this out and they know it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Payndz posted:

Tell them she'll go to court. They may well capitulate in advance or just not turn up on the day. (Happened to my sister over a dodgy loan company falsely claiming she owed them £900.)

But in any case have a read here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/l...se-was-driving/ there's a section on stolen.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

stev posted:

They won't replace him with Rishi anyway, he's only been a minor character until this season. A series alum like Gove or Hancock is far more likely.

Jesus motherfucking christ, prime minister Hancock. Fucker looks like a sixth former trying to cover up that he hasn't done his homework. Clearly impossible, but as this is 2020, now bound to happen.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Payndz posted:

Yes. Tell them to go gently caress themselves, threaten to sue them for harassment (which you totally can do), if they instruct lawyers then tell them to go gently caress themselves, then pedantically insist that they meticulously follow every aspect of the pre-action protocol practice direction, maybe offer them a generous settlement of one (1) packet of monster munch (roast beef flavour, opened, Claimant to cover postage costs), and tell them to go gently caress themselves again when they refuse.

These fuckers know they can't actually win & that the cost of attending trial would be more than they'd actually get,* so they just try to bully people into paying. It often is literally harassment, which is a crime as well as a civil wrong, pushing that angle is probably your best bet.

*it's fixed costs in small claims so companies tend not to actually litigate if they can avoid it, over-aggression is a telltale sign that they don't actually have the balls ime

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Payndz posted:

MoneySavingExpert has a very good page on how to deal with these companies: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets/

The upshot is they can't do poo poo apart from ask you to pay (through various threatening letters/phone calls) unless they take you to court and get a judgement against you, which in your case they would certainly fail to do. Their entire system is set up to bully you into paying, they will never willingly cancel a ticket.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

Yes. Tell them to go gently caress themselves, threaten to sue them for harassment (which you totally can do), if they instruct lawyers then tell them to go gently caress themselves, then pedantically insist that they meticulously follow every aspect of the pre-action protocol practice direction, maybe offer them a generous settlement of one (1) packet of monster munch (roast beef flavour, opened, Claimant to cover postage costs), and tell them to go gently caress themselves again when they refuse.

These fuckers know they can't actually win & that the cost of attending trial would be more than they'd actually get,* so they just try to bully people into paying. It often is literally harassment, which is a crime as well as a civil wrong, pushing that angle is probably your best bet.

*it's fixed costs in small claims so companies tend not to actually litigate if they can avoid it, over-aggression is a telltale sign that they don't actually have the balls ime

I know the answer is lol England but how are these companies not routinely shut down and the responsible parties inprisoned/fined? All it should really take is one person refusing to pay and reporting harassment for the whole enterprise to come under scrutiny.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I mountain bike in the forest I live, and it's accepted and there are places where it's sanctioned and all good, and even then walkers and mostly older people try to verbally and physically assault mountain bikers. It's increased since the first lockdown, and there have been multiple accounts of trail sabotage including horrific poo poo like pungee pits and wires across trails. Some people absolutely hate their forest being used for things that they don't like.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

Jesus motherfucking christ, prime minister Hancock. Fucker looks like a sixth former trying to cover up that he hasn't done his homework. Clearly impossible, but as this is 2020, now bound to happen.

Best of a bad bunch I feel. He's poo poo like all tories but he seems to want solutions that aren't just letting the NHS collapse and lots of people dying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That burning does not appear to be an eternal flame, but can someone tell me what it actually is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Best of a bad bunch I feel. He's poo poo like all tories but he seems to want solutions that aren't just letting the NHS collapse and lots of people dying.

Only because that would hurt the bottom line for his chums in private medical insurance - if everyone with long-term conditions dies, the most lucrative contracts all dry up.