Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Oxyclean posted:

Barracuda Bay didn't come with a chest of gold???
Its ingots were metallic gold (which is still semi-rare and not used nearly as frequently as pearl gold), not chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Glad I saved the Haunted House for Halloween - really fun build as of bag 6.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have sets of chrome exhaust pipes and headlight covers. I treasure them like they are my tiny plastic children.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Duckula posted:

Glad I saved the Haunted House for Halloween - really fun build as of bag 6.

It gets a little less interesting as time goes on. But the first 1/2 is great. Getting the chain on is kind of a bitch, though. I really like the wheelchair. And the manual is more interesting than most, too.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I still need to get the chain on mine. It wasn't pulling the lift up properly. I have to go back and figure out what is wrong

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

They do, but I believe the only part that's still chromed is the minifig ring. I wasn't aware of the chroming causing parts to be too big, but I always figured that Lego mostly stopped making chromed parts because the coating rubs off if you play with it too much, kind of like the original gold Classic Space logos.

The chroming of bricks I can see being problematic because of the strain/deformation of the connecting bricks above and below them. It seems most of the silver chromed bits are things like different exhaust pipes and minifig accessories (knives and harpoons from Aquanauts, coins, at least one sword). I have intentionally coddled these items so they don't get scratched so I'm not sure how easily the coating comes off. The gold coins from Pirates I seem pretty durable, much moreso than any minifigs with gold paint (like this guy from Skull's Eye Schooner/Imperial Trading Post) or the astronauts you mentioned.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Does anyone have the instructions/part list for the neb-b? i wanna build it myself.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Should be on legos website.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The part list will be on Bricklink.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The chroming of bricks I can see being problematic because of the strain/deformation of the connecting bricks above and below them. It seems most of the silver chromed bits are things like different exhaust pipes and minifig accessories (knives and harpoons from Aquanauts, coins, at least one sword). I have intentionally coddled these items so they don't get scratched so I'm not sure how easily the coating comes off. The gold coins from Pirates I seem pretty durable, much moreso than any minifigs with gold paint (like this guy from Skull's Eye Schooner/Imperial Trading Post) or the astronauts you mentioned.
Fun fact: chromed parts actually have different design IDs than non-chromed versions of the same parts because they're molded differently to account for the thickness of the chrome plating! In my experience, chrome plating still comes off pretty easily (especially on the big swords that came with 90s Castle sets) but gold chrome is more resilient, likely because the gold effect is achieved by spraying a layer of yellow/amber tint over chrome, and I bet that extra layer offers more protection.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

tomapot posted:

Same here, Not looking to make any money, just funding my habit and I enjoy the defective work of identifying sets and minifigs.

Quoting myself because I noticed the typo, maybe too close to the truth.

Happy Birthday to me, next week I turn 50 and my wife encouraged me to go buy this. My teenage years were spent burning down my life to the point I developed a nasty drug and alcohol problem. Didn’t think I’d make 20 years old let alone 50. Been clean over 30 years now and except an occasional LEGO compulsion my life is pretty much in order. Nice to believe I deserve nice things and be able to afford them. Can’t wait to put this together after I clear some time and space for it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Grats dude, enjoy the build and 50.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

So shortly after LEGO releases a UCS sized Batplane, they are releasing a UCS Ecto 1?

Kinda glad I held off on the Batplane. But I am running out of shelf space for cars.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Literally A Person posted:

I have sets of chrome exhaust pipes and headlight covers. I treasure them like they are my tiny plastic children.

I have the golden sword from one of the Johnny thunder sets and have it safely tucked away next to Revan.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

VaultAggie posted:

I have the golden sword from one of the Johnny thunder sets and have it safely tucked away next to Revan.

Revan came back later as a GWP which ruined its value. RUINED! (I don’t care about this at all but I find it funny that people do; I just have fond memories of kotor)

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

tomapot posted:

Happy Birthday to me, next week I turn 50 and my wife encouraged me to go buy this. My teenage years were spent burning down my life to the point I developed a nasty drug and alcohol problem. Didn’t think I’d make 20 years old let alone 50. Been clean over 30 years now and except an occasional LEGO compulsion my life is pretty much in order. Nice to believe I deserve nice things and be able to afford them. Can’t wait to put this together after I clear some time and space for it.

Congrats on the birthday and the sobriety!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Captain Duvel posted:

I still need to get the chain on mine. It wasn't pulling the lift up properly. I have to go back and figure out what is wrong

I've also been building mine tonight, probably about 2/3 through but also dreading the chain. After putting on the bit that stops the gears from turning in the wrong direction I had a go at cranking it (fnarr) and it kinda stopped working about a few rotations. Kinda hoping that by the time it's all together I've added a final critical piece that makes it all work, but I think I'm going to have to do some demolitions to figure it out...

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I feel a certain sense of satisfaction after placing a huge Bricklink order. My vision is this much closer to becoming reality!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My wallet doesn't though :v:

But yeah, I usually build from my existing parts and finish off my MOCs with a couple of BL orders with the exact pieces I wanted, but didn't already own. Sitting there with a MOC 80% done for a week is torture and it's a relief when everything I need to finish it finally comes in the mail.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Marmaduke! posted:

I've also been building mine tonight, probably about 2/3 through but also dreading the chain. After putting on the bit that stops the gears from turning in the wrong direction I had a go at cranking it (fnarr) and it kinda stopped working about a few rotations. Kinda hoping that by the time it's all together I've added a final critical piece that makes it all work, but I think I'm going to have to do some demolitions to figure it out...

Just make sure you have the correct number of pieces in the chain. It is going to feel extremely tight. Just stretch it to make it work. I initially thought i had messed up and added a link and it worked but was off by a little. Then I removed that link and did it again and it was fine. It's definitely one of the trickier bits I've worked with.

I did get the power functions stuff and it is cool, but not worth the $. At least I have them for the inevitable "next time."

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I ordered the new White House and Brick Headz Statue of Liberty for my birthday last night. Thanks for the gift, Mrs. Doctor!

They really need to do a Supreme Court so I could have all four branches of government on my shelf (Legislative, Executive, Judicial, and NASA :v:)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah the black widow set is overpriced collector catnip but I really like the simple yet effective suspension on the APC. It’s like a simpler and less fiddly version of the Mars Rover.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

tomapot posted:

Happy birthday whippersnapper. And 30 years clean is amazing! :toot:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Nth Doctor posted:

I ordered the new White House and Brick Headz Statue of Liberty for my birthday last night. Thanks for the gift, Mrs. Doctor!

They really need to do a Supreme Court so I could have all four branches of government on my shelf (Legislative, Executive, Judicial, and NASA :v:)

I intended to build the White House on election night but couldn't resist. It's very nice, but I forgot how much it sucks trying to get stacks of 1x1 plates to line up just right, especially the trans clear ones. I think the architecture sets just aren't for me.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

CommanderApaul posted:

I intended to build the White House on election night but couldn't resist. It's very nice, but I forgot how much it sucks trying to get stacks of 1x1 plates to line up just right, especially the trans clear ones. I think the architecture sets just aren't for me.

The US Capitol set came with a bag of just white 1x1 headlight bricks. Architecture sets are weird sometimes.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Waltzing Along posted:

Just make sure you have the correct number of pieces in the chain. It is going to feel extremely tight. Just stretch it to make it work. I initially thought i had messed up and added a link and it worked but was off by a little. Then I removed that link and did it again and it was fine. It's definitely one of the trickier bits I've worked with.

I did get the power functions stuff and it is cool, but not worth the $. At least I have them for the inevitable "next time."

I was actually thinking I might not even bother with the chain, as it's a great looking set even without the gimmick, but after completing the main build and now that the gears are working properly, I will have a go at it (just, another day).

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

CommanderApaul posted:

Take a stack of 1x1 squares. Find a flat table, put them on their side, and push them against the table with the flat part of the orange brick-seperator lever. They should rotate freely and end up flush with each other.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Anias posted:

Take a stack of 1x1 squares. Find a flat table, put them on their side, and push them against the table with the flat part of the orange brick-seperator lever. They should rotate freely and end up flush with each other.

I ended up getting them close and then squeezing them between a couple of the 1x4 tiles and that did the trick. The regular 1x1 plates are usually not a problem with a plate and the top of my desk, but the friction on the trans clear ones is a good bit higher and I left a couple divots in my desk the first set I did.

It's a beautiful set but, again, I don't think these are really my thing. The GWP Gingerbread House at Christmas last year wasn't a fun building experience either. I appreciate the level of detail they manage to pack into the Architecture sets, but it's just feels like a lot of work for something as small as the results are? I dunno, it's weird. The water on Ninjago City and Docks was a similar slog but I actually enjoyed those. <shrug>

Bring on Ecto-1 and Gardens of Ninjago.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I picked up skull island (7279) from a woman getting rid of her son's stuff. It's still in the box and only built once. She also has android base (6958) same condition I'm pretty sure I'm going back for.

I'm not into trains but she has 10014, 15 etc My own trains used in boxes. Is there anyone looking for those?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hope she had her son's permission to sell them.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Captain Duvel posted:

I picked up skull island (6279) from a woman getting rid of her son's stuff.

Nice score. For some reason it's a difficult set to find where I am. In fact, it's the only classic Pirates set I don't have that isn't a limited release of some kind - there's a few other sets I don't have that were only released in North America, so good luck finding them anywhere else in the world.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ducati is on sale for 20% off at Amazon.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
With the Batmobile last year and the Ecto-1 this year, do you reckon there might be a Delorean on the way next year?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

GlenMR posted:

With the Batmobile last year and the Ecto-1 this year, do you reckon there might be a Delorean on the way next year?

No we're gonna jump to John Hughes movies, with Sixteen Candles.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Nth Doctor posted:

No we're gonna jump to John Hughes movies, with Sixteen Candles.

Assume they’ll go with the ‘83 Buick Century

https://www.imcdb.org/movie_88128-Sixteen-Candles.html

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I'd rather have the '75 Mercury Marquis from Uncle Buck. Bonus points if they figure out how to rig the backfire in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPqPDdiiJIw

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

esperantinc posted:

I'd rather have the '75 Mercury Marquis from Uncle Buck. Bonus points if they figure out how to rig the backfire in!

Carbohydrates, the world needs you

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

esperantinc posted:

:lol: this is literally what I was thinking of :lol:

How can we make it backfire loud enough to scare children?

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Hope she had her son's permission to sell them.

He died last year and she's alone trying to move :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh, well then :smith: