Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, that was a really weird and bad choice for that series. Especially because they really didn't need to be Nazis to do those story beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well the Japanese sympathizing with Nazis isn’t exactly without precedent

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
La Marseillaise and the Soviet hymn are the only good national anthems to ever exist. Oh Canada bilingually gets an honourable mention.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

oldpainless posted:

Well the Japanese sympathizing with Nazis isn’t exactly without precedent

oof, though true

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

La Marseillaise and the Soviet hymn are the only good national anthems to ever exist. Oh Canada bilingually gets an honourable mention.

Uruguay's sounds like it fell off the back of Rossini's truck and it rules.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Humerus posted:

Florida's state song, Old Folks at Home, is a minstrel song originally performed in blackface written by a man who had never been to Florida, but used the name of one of our rivers because it would fit the pace of his song about how slaves miss their plantations.
Oh it only fits the pace if you say the river wrong because as I said, he never actually went to Florida. In the song it's sung "Swanee" but the river is Suwanee.

But don't worry they revised the lyrics so instead of darkies they say brothers now.

That reminded me of Carry Me Back to Old Virginny, which Virginia dropped as its state song in 1997.

Until reading about it, I didn't know the lyrics were apparently revised in 1878 to make it even more racist.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Icelandic national anthem is about Iceland as a ,,eternal small-flower that worships it's God and dies".

Which isn't really very rousing or inspiring.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Nov 2, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm watching part 2 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure since it gets fawned about pretty regularly and it sure was weird when Jojo took a moment from a life and death struggle to appreciate a Nazi. And then in the next few episodes, there was another Nazi the characters were sympathizing with.

When you're fighting omnicidal vampire gods you'll take all the help you can get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's kinda weird given the Nazis are shown as committing horrible crimes against humanity and most of their whole deal is closer to opening the Ark of the Covenant, but some of the soldiers are still treated sympathetically? Clean Werhmacht myth I guess.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kinda weird given the Nazis are shown as committing horrible crimes against humanity and most of their whole deal is closer to opening the Ark of the Covenant, but some of the soldiers are still treated sympathetically? Clean Werhmacht myth I guess.

It probably gets mistaken for complex writing and deep characterization in the author's mind.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Uruguay's sounds like it fell off the back of Rossini's truck and it rules.

I am so glad you introduced me to this.

The Swedish Nation anthem COULD be good if they just played it a bit faster.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

FreudianSlippers posted:

Which isn't really very rousing or inspiring.

No disrespect intended, but this seems on-brand for Iceland. It’ll do until ‘Immigrant Song’ passes into the public domain.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

South Africa's is also legit. "gently caress you, we're using all our languages, go learn how to pronounce Xhosa words."

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Torquemada posted:

No disrespect intended, but this seems on-brand for Iceland. It’ll do until ‘Immigrant Song’ passes into the public domain.

I’d vote for Isobel by Bjork

Also if I could get citizenship to vote that would be cool

You can keep the idea

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Whybird posted:

Let's not forget the lyrical chronicling of the many and varied crimes against humanity that took place at the German Nick.

Does that song even exist past the second line? I knew someone who claimed the third line was "And the Nazis play snooker with your balls", but I never heard any more beyond that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Trump appears on Tiny Toons

https://youtu.be/VhLNyLGJIYU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Joseph is pretty racist, especially to the Japanese.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I recently passed the 700 episode mark in my Dark Shadows watch. Two new characters were introduced:

Sandor & Magda Rakosi

They were referred to by the now unacceptable name of Gypsies.

Yeah...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErCkdI9ZjA8
(the audio is out of sync)

Definitely would not fly today.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

'Episode 700' oh this must be one of those really long running soaps
'aired weekdays on the ABC television network, from June 27, 1966, to April 2, 1971'

what the gently caress?

what the gently caress?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Garrand posted:

'Episode 700' oh this must be one of those really long running soaps
'aired weekdays on the ABC television network, from June 27, 1966, to April 2, 1971'

what the gently caress?

what the gently caress?

It's one of the few soaps where all the episodes are intact. Well, except one which exists in an audio format only (thanks to a hardcore fan). The video was recreated by using still photos and credits from other episodes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I had heard about soaps like guiding light that ran for decades but they were never my thing. I didn't realize they absolutely pumped out episodes. Guiding light has 57 seasons and 15,762 episodes

these episode counts are insane

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

See, this is a valuable life lesson Tiny Toons was teaching us all. You can be known well enough for panhandling and tax avoidance to be a punchline in a 1992 children’s cartoon, but still go on to be the President of the United States of America.

The American Dream, ladies and gentlemen.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

And The Drew Carey Show.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Garrand posted:

I had heard about soaps like guiding light that ran for decades but they were never my thing. I didn't realize they absolutely pumped out episodes. Guiding light has 57 seasons and 15,762 episodes

Soaps are year-round and only rarely do reruns. The Young and the Restless would sometimes replay a Christmas episode, but it wasn't until this summer that had to do weeks of replays because production had shut down. As far as I know, Days of Our Lives has never done a rerun. They had filmed so far in advance earlier this year that they had enough material to get through months of not being in a studio.

Guiding Light started on radio in 1937 and moved to TV in 1952. Both radio and TV were kept up until 1956 and the TV series kept up into 2009.

Soaps are a fascinating medium. For as low-rent as they've always been seen (and currently are), they've had massive influence from primetime series, to shopping, to the music charts. An extended documentary series would be extremely fun, but I don't think there is anyone out there to give the genre proper attention.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly there’s something I can respect about that insane consistency to pump something serviceable out day after day for decades without fail

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Humerus posted:

Florida's state song, Old Folks at Home, is a minstrel song originally performed in blackface written by a man who had never been to Florida, but used the name of one of our rivers because it would fit the pace of his song about how slaves miss their plantations.
Oh it only fits the pace if you say the river wrong because as I said, he never actually went to Florida. In the song it's sung "Swanee" but the river is Suwanee.

But don't worry they revised the lyrics so instead of darkies they say brothers now.
The Jim Crow era gave us so many terrible, racist, state songs. "Maryland, My Maryland" (sung to the tune of Oh Christmas Tree/O Tannenbaum) is entirely about how glorious it would be to die on the battlefield fighting against the North. It tastefully includes a verse about how Lincoln was a tyrant and it was great that he was assassinated. It also contains the phrase "spurn the Northern scum" which sounds like something an anime villain would say.

It was adopted in 1939.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mister Kingdom posted:

And The Drew Carey Show.

And the Fresh Prince!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZPrrLve2Eo

"Everyone's always blaming me for everything."

Gee, I wonder why?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

doublepost

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Garrand posted:

The longest running soap in the UK is Coronation Street, which celebrates its 60th anniversary on December 9th. It's only had 10,152 episodes though, as it aired only twice a week for much of its run (it currently airs six times a week, two 30-minute episodes three days a week). If you want astonishing, Bill Roache has played Ken Barlow on the show since the first episode.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hyperhazard posted:

The Jim Crow era gave us so many terrible, racist, state songs. "Maryland, My Maryland" (sung to the tune of Oh Christmas Tree/O Tannenbaum) is entirely about how glorious it would be to die on the battlefield fighting against the North. It tastefully includes a verse about how Lincoln was a tyrant and it was great that he was assassinated. It also contains the phrase "spurn the Northern scum" which sounds like something an anime villain would say.

It was adopted in 1939.

Encouraging racists to die is something we can all get behind.

Jedit posted:

The longest running soap in the UK is Coronation Street, which celebrates its 60th anniversary on December 9th. It's only had 10,152 episodes though, as it aired only twice a week for much of its run (it currently airs six times a week, two 30-minute episodes three days a week). If you want astonishing, Bill Roache has played Ken Barlow on the show since the first episode.
And his son played Bruce Wayne's father in Batman Begins. So Ken Barlow is Batman's grandfather.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jedit posted:

Bill Roache is 88 years old, has been an actor for 64 years and has played a total of... 9 roles, 7 of them very minor. He has played Ken Barlow for 59 goddamn years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pookah posted:

Bill Roache is 88 years old, has been an actor for 64 years and has played a total of... 9 roles, 7 of them very minor. He has played Ken Barlow for 59 goddamn years.

He's said many times that as an actor the most important thing to him is the steady income.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jedit posted:

He's said many times that as an actor the most important thing to him is the steady income.

Oh I'm not knocking him or his career - I'd adore to have a gig as sweet as that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pookah posted:

Oh I'm not knocking him or his career - I'd adore to have a gig as sweet as that.

Oh, heck, it's a family benefit. One of Linus Roache's first roles was as Ken Barlow's son Peter, and James Roache not only appeared on the show as Ken's grandson (he's 20 years younger than his brother) but also as his own father in a documentary about the creation of the show.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If we are still doing National Anthem chat:

I can't listen to The Marseilles, (The French National Anthem) without thinking of defunct footy team Fitzroy's theme song. Because they share the same tune.

If we have moved on from Anthem chat, then forgive me and my useless factoid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we are still doing National Anthem chat:

I can't listen to The Marseilles, (The French National Anthem) without thinking of defunct footy team Fitzroy's theme song. Because they share the same tune.

If we have moved on from Anthem chat, then forgive me and my useless factoid.

The Adelaide Crows uses the US Marines battle hymn with different lyrics, iirc. Guessing a lot of sports team themes are along similar lines.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Adelaide Crows uses the US Marines battle hymn with different lyrics, iirc. Guessing a lot of sports team themes are along similar lines.

This made playing Fallout 3 VERY weird for someone from Adelaide. But also weirdly appropriate, with the uber-patriotic Enclave Radio playing your local sports team's song.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

Honestly there’s something I can respect about that insane consistency to pump something serviceable out day after day for decades without fail

It's because it's the same storyline over and over in 3 to 4 year cycles. Characters hook up, get engaged, married, something terrible happens on their wedding day and they either split or stick it out and have a baby who 3 years later dies or gets age progression to a teenager and then dies. I think Susan Lucci's character was married like 8 times or something. Soap fans love a loving wedding, but they hate marriage.

Also you intermarry to the point of near incest. On the soap my wife watches a 70 year old guy married his daughter-in-law. It didn't last though. It never does.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Soap operas have their own weird storytelling conventions as a result of their format, like a lot of long-running media that doesn't actually expect the audience to remember the plotlines from seven years ago. (see also: wrestling, comic books, shonen anime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

Does that song even exist past the second line? I knew someone who claimed the third line was "And the Nazis play snooker with your balls", but I never heard any more beyond that.

Sure, although like anything in its vein there are a thousand and one variations:

the schoolyard posted:

In the German Nick
Where they hang you by your dick
And they hang dirty posters on the walls
Your mind goes blank
As you're dying for a wank
And the cats play ping-pong with your balls