Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Much as this brings back fond memories of my VIC-20, I'm just as happy with the little Pi 4 box I bought a few months ago. Now I just wish I could find a cheap little monitor to make it easier to tinker with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Craigslist? Has hdmi been around long enough that compatible devices are being given away? There are plenty of free monitors out there, but it's occuring to me a lot of them might be vga only.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Me: Ima do a Pi project
Also me: where the ever loving hell is a micro to SD adapter? I have at least 20
Also also me: Finds a pi4 I forgot I even had

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Some Goon posted:

Craigslist? Has hdmi been around long enough that compatible devices are being given away? There are plenty of free monitors out there, but it's occuring to me a lot of them might be vga only.

Not in my area, at least. :(

It's not an enormous problem, but frustrating that only my primary has modern connectors. My two secondaries are old enough that they've got DVI and VGA connectors on the back, and connecting micro-HDMI to VGA turns into a bucket of spaghetti.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You go Micro-HDMI -> HDMI -> DVI.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bieeanshee posted:

Not in my area, at least. :(

It's not an enormous problem, but frustrating that only my primary has modern connectors. My two secondaries are old enough that they've got DVI and VGA connectors on the back, and connecting micro-HDMI to VGA turns into a bucket of spaghetti.

Tell you what, I've got a 19" 720p tv a friend gave to me years ago for this exact purpose that I've never done anything with, you can have it for the cost of shipping (~10lbs) if you want.

As mentioned above, HDMI to DVI is a passive adaptor so that's not a bad route.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Ha! This made me think of the fact that I have an ancient 19” monitor that’s takes vga and dvi

I’ve been using a spare active hdmi -> vga converter... but I have a bunch of those hdmi to dvi adaptors lying around!

I also have the dvi -> vga adapters you used to get with graphics cards, but I suspect that doesn’t work, right? The graphics card had to be doing something special to make those work

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
DVI-VGA adapters only work with DVI-A or DVI-I ports that have analog pins. The more common (now at least) DVI-D only supports digital output. If the adapter and port were made properly, I don’t think you can even plug a DVI-A/I cable into a DVI-D port.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Just buy a micro-HDMI to DVI cable.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I basically ordered one immediately yesterday when I saw a video of it pop up on my screen. It's like it was tailor made just for me. Seems to come with all the stuff that I wished for in 2015 the last time I tried the RPi2. Still very :supaburn: about it.

First preorder batch al;ready sold out on one of the sites in Aus. Shame it's 4GB. But it's a keyboard based computer and has an exposed header just like so many computers of the 80's and early 90's that I love. I'm so on the fence.

e: They missed a trick with it. Making the GPIO port keyed. I mean the 40 pin header they use is, but they could have done something asymmetrical with the case. Either way it gave me the great idea of expansion cartridges.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 4, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lazyhound posted:

Is the 4 actually fast enough for desktop use? Trying to do anything GUI-based on my 3B is like pulling teeth.

Yeah I use one as a linux desktop/home entertainment system and it works fine. Hardest part was getting steaming services with all their lovely drm to work on chromium but that wasn't too difficult.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Whelp, looks like everywhere in the us is either sold out or wants $10-15 shipping; can't get free shipping from sparkfun since it's a pre-order. Might as well line up with the GPU hunters outside of microcenter at that point, though they're only selling the full kit.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The regular board + keyboard is fine too. IMHO the built in keyboard is a neat gimmick and nostalgic, but 99% of the time a pi is more easily used by setting up SSH and throwing it in a closet or drawer.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Slightly less portable and you run into that thing where the pi weighs less than all the things attached to it and twists around oddly from the cables, though with the pi4 needing cooling of some sort that might not be an issue anymore. I've got a pi"nas" set up for sshing but that takes another computer to interface with, and the only practical use I have for a pi 4 is to replace the machine I use to pay my bills, since trying to interact with webforms on a 55" tv sucks.

Really though it was just going to be an impulse purchase, I think it would be cool to get it set up with no DE and try to operate everything with just a keyboard, or trivially swap out boot drives. If it wasn't for that dang micro-hdmi port you'd only need the power supply with it since hdmi displays are everywhere.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow is there no internal hard drive / SSD spot for the Pi 400? That's a huge ommission. I'm using a pi 4 as a desktop now and it is almost unusable with microSD for the OS drive. Get it on a cheap USB drive SSD and it's great. So factor that into the clunkiness of the 400 + USB drive.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Hardest part was getting steaming services with all their lovely drm to work on chromium but that wasn't too difficult.
What I like most about linux is that there's an incredible body of knowledge available for almost any issue but because most of the solutions involve the terminal I get to feel like Mr Robot every time I perform even the most basic of tasks :v:

Speaking of which, I fixed the UI lag in Kodi by adding "usbhid.mousepoll=0" to /boot/cmdline.txt - the latest version switches to a terminal before launching and the terminal was apparently bad at reading the usb ports.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

Wow is there no internal hard drive / SSD spot for the Pi 400? That's a huge ommission. I'm using a pi 4 as a desktop now and it is almost unusable with microSD for the OS drive. Get it on a cheap USB drive SSD and it's great. So factor that into the clunkiness of the 400 + USB drive.

Looking up storage benchmarks was on the to-do list and oof, though I don't think it would matter much for my use case. Still, depending on how much space is inside it I saw someone propose drilling out the kensington lock and running the cable through there, which could be an answer.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Some Goon posted:

Looking up storage benchmarks was on the to-do list and oof, though I don't think it would matter much for my use case. Still, depending on how much space is inside it I saw someone propose drilling out the kensington lock and running the cable through there, which could be an answer.

yeah i bet a m.2 ssd or nvme drive might be able to be jammed inside the case somewhere. you'd have some bulk for the usb converter but it might be possible

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

General_Failure posted:

First preorder batch al;ready sold out on one of the sites in Aus. Shame it's 4GB. But it's a keyboard based computer and has an exposed header just like so many computers of the 80's and early 90's that I love. I'm so on the fence.

e: They missed a trick with it. Making the GPIO port keyed. I mean the 40 pin header they use is, but they could have done something asymmetrical with the case. Either way it gave me the great idea of expansion cartridges.

They also forgot to add the 3.5mm jack on it which I only noticed yesterday so lol. Either have to use a TV, display with speakers/speaker out or bluetooth speakers. It's not the biggest deal but god drat it :negative:

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 5, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Jeff Fatwood posted:

They also forgot to add the 3.5mm jack on it which I only noticed yesterday so lol. Either have to use a TV, display with speakers/speaker or bluetooth speakers. It's not the biggest deal but god drat it :negative:

Following Apple's lead, nice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

They also forgot to add the 3.5mm jack on it which I only noticed yesterday so lol. Either have to use a TV, display with speakers/speaker out or bluetooth speakers. It's not the biggest deal but god drat it :negative:

A basic USB DAC would also do the trick if you have a spare port

Something like https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Adapter-Aluminum-Desktops/dp/B087T5H3MQ

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

repiv posted:

A basic USB DAC would also do the trick if you have a spare port

Something like https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Adapter-Aluminum-Desktops/dp/B087T5H3MQ

I'm more annoyed that the whole shtick with RPi has been about having options to do whatever and adding more hurdles just feels counter to that. But then again, micro hdmi and all that, they have to compromise somewhere.

Still I'd rather have a fast Pi400 with all the fast IO, cooling and no 3.5mm than the Pi2 with 3.5mm and no USB 3.0 :shepface: Or a Pi4 with a million things dangling off of it and all the extra things I'd have to buy anyway.

In conclusion, still very stoked. :woop: Finally getting a loving retro Linux box inside a keyboard.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
The Pi has always been about hyper-optimizing price by cutting out as many things as possible that would only be used by some-people, and all those special cases can use adapters anyway. Every few cents per unit they can shave off of a $35 product that they're trying to min/max to the extreme really matters.

Edit: Come to think of it, it might be better to think of the Pi as a cheap relatively powerful core to a very modular system

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Wasn't the audio quality out of the 3.5 jack notably terrible on the pi anyways?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Some Goon posted:

Wasn't the audio quality out of the 3.5 jack notably terrible on the pi anyways?

It was lukewarm dogshit, abysmal quality and RFI out the wazoo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Some Goon posted:

PWM garbo but i2c to a codec hat fixes that if you care.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Slightly off topic but I've got an odd problem with my vnc connection to my pi. It is pretty much perfect from 1 of my laptops and my phone connecting over wifi (the pi is wired to the router) my other main laptop wired connection is so slow for the vnc connection as to be absolutely useless. Anyone come across this before?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Some Goon posted:

Tell you what, I've got a 19" 720p tv a friend gave to me years ago for this exact purpose that I've never done anything with, you can have it for the cost of shipping (~10lbs) if you want.

As mentioned above, HDMI to DVI is a passive adaptor so that's not a bad route.

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm international and the cost of shipping would probably be exorbitant. I'll keep an eye on the marketplace listings. :)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

PWM garbo but i2c to a codec hat fixes that if you care.

i2s, and yes.
But that consumes the GPIO port, unless you do some fiddling. I've got a PiFi Dac+ (HiFiberry clone,mostly) on my Pi4. Was on my Pi3. No background noise. Really nice sound quality. I soldered an RTC to it because I always use one.
On a Pi Zero I was using a PCM5022(?) board. One of those little ones for a few $ from China. They work surprisingly well... assuming they are connected properly. *cough*. I designed and printed a case for a zero, 3 port USB / ethernet hub, SSD1506 OLED and DAC board, which made things a little nicer.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Wonder what the most critical thing in production in the world there is right now that's dependent on the continued functionality of a specific Raspberry Pi

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
my seed box

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i got a raspberry pi 400 and it doesnt loving work, lol

When I try to boot RPI OS the led comes on, blinks really quickly and then stays on for a few seconds, and goes off. Nothing else happens, and there's no video output. Even if I take the SD card and everything else out, it does the same thing, 1 quick blink and then on for a few seconds before going off.

I tried putting the EEPROM on a card and doing that and then the LED does 2 long flashes and 4 short which apparently means "File signature/hash mismatch" and the HDMI output will either be a screen with red columns or a full red screen, but that's the only video output I can get.

I can't get any messages over UART either, but it seems like the OS has to start booting for the messages to start so idk if i'm supposed to be getting any anyway.

I got the latest boot files from the github, tried different SD cards, different power supplies, etc but nothing works and this things hosed

anyone have any ideas as to what I should do here or is it just "get a replacement lol"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i got a raspberry pi 400 and it doesnt loving work, lol

When I try to boot RPI OS the led comes on, blinks really quickly and then stays on for a few seconds, and goes off. Nothing else happens, and there's no video output. Even if I take the SD card and everything else out, it does the same thing, 1 quick blink and then on for a few seconds before going off.

I tried putting the EEPROM on a card and doing that and then the LED does 2 long flashes and 4 short which apparently means "File signature/hash mismatch" and the HDMI output will either be a screen with red columns or a full red screen, but that's the only video output I can get.

I can't get any messages over UART either, but it seems like the OS has to start booting for the messages to start so idk if i'm supposed to be getting any anyway.

I got the latest boot files from the github, tried different SD cards, different power supplies, etc but nothing works and this things hosed

anyone have any ideas as to what I should do here or is it just "get a replacement lol"

I assume you tried NOOBS?

EDIT: Ah, probably not updated yet, only the Foundation Raspbian works thus far (I think). Pi Hut has a "try these" list.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

I assume you tried NOOBS?

EDIT: Ah, probably not updated yet, only the Foundation Raspbian works thus far (I think). Pi Hut has a "try these" list.

I tried Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS or whatever it's called, and I also tried Ubuntu which says it supports the 400. No luck

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

I tried Raspbian/Raspberry Pi OS or whatever it's called, and I also tried Ubuntu which says it supports the 400. No luck

There's always the "duh" option. That thing has two display connectors. Got the correct one?

EDIT: Also the OS needs to be the right OS because there's downloads on the Raspbian site and the Raspberry Pi site. No it doesn't make sense. Yes the foundation has been called out on this poo poo approx 50 million times.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 10, 2020

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Are there any good walk throughs on how to get bluetooth audio working through a pi4? I can connect to the device, its selected as the audio output, but I just never get any sound out of it, other than the connection confirmation beep.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NPR Journalizard posted:

Are there any good walk throughs on how to get bluetooth audio working through a pi4? I can connect to the device, its selected as the audio output, but I just never get any sound out of it, other than the connection confirmation beep.

How many goats do you have ready to sacrifice?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Ahh crap, is it that bad, huh

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm going to wait a while, if I do end up getting one I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

Wait, so the only way to get audio for the 400 is literally through HDMI or USB and bluetooth is not going to work at least without blood sacrifice? Nice.