Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

m0therfux0r posted:

I loved Shadow of Mordor- even though there was a lot of standard open world stuff, the Arkham-esque combat felt really tight and responsive. My only complaint about that one was how the decapitate command that actually kills a nemesis for good just wouldn't work about 50% of the time. I'd either press the command and he'd do a different move, or he would indeed decapitate the nemesis but then they'd somehow come back later. Dunno if this was an issue with all versions or just PS4.

I hated Shadow of War because of the combat. It just felt so loose and slippery- the opposite of what I remembered from the first one (I didn't play them back-to-back, but it sure felt way different and less precise). They also throw in so much stuff at once without gradually introducing concepts that I felt like I was just loosely slashing at everything and didn't know what to focus on. I'm sure the real thing most people would say is dragging it down is that whole part at the end where they try to force you into microtransactions, but I don't think I was even remotely close to that section of the game (or even halfway) because I dropped it pretty early on.

My problem with Shadow Of Mordor was actually the exact opposite: It was entirely possible to permanent kill a fun nemesis by accident. Like I wanted the same guy to come back over and over, and whoops, accidently decapitated him. Need to start cultivating a new one I suppose...

I got most of the way through Shadow of War before dropping it as well. I'd say its problem is that it felt like somewhere in the design documents there was, in big bold letters, the sentence "IF ITS FUN TO DO ONCE, ITS FUN TO DO 800 TIMES", because god drat. Part of that is the grindy "hey, you can skip doing this the 500th time for a little money..." but part of it was not really being sure why the first game was successful, so we'd better do all of it again, multiple times, so we dont miss whatever it was that people liked! But what I liked was having a carefully cultivated personal nemesis. When I've got 3 of them in different regions then I'm not going to remember any of them tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this! posted:

To be fair to the XCOM shooter it probably would have been remembered better if they had kept the original premise of it being more of an adventure game where you're investigating alien encounters and running away when the aliens would actually show up. Instead of where it ended up, as a generic squad based third person shooter.

The game itself wasn't actually that bad - the worst part about it was that it was attached to the XCOM franchise.

Edit: As in it set up expectations that the game couldn't match and a dumb ending to explain why no one remembered what happened.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

It's sad for Brutal Legend because this was entirely the result of EA marketing. Double Fine themselves were absolutely up-front that it was largely a strategy game, but were constantly being shouted over by the publisher. What really hurt it was the demo that was just the (entirely hack-and-slash) intro level with zero indication of what the other 90% of the game is like.
The funny thing is that I remember back in the day public perception swung another way, with a not insignificant amount of players going "oooh it's actually an RTS" and trying to play it like Starcraft, then complaining online when that didn't work either cause you do still need to hack and slash and get in the thick of it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zoig posted:

Chibi Robo zip lash completely killed the franchise after multiple mismanaged games and was indeed, supposed to gauge interest in the franchise. It was a completely unremarkable platformer which played nothing like the previous entries; Oh and it had a level select that was a loving roulette wheel and you needed to go to every level to go to the next world, and yes you would have to redo a level if you landed on it.

The game is pretty dang putrid yes.

I can't believe they made an awesome game that people were like 'this game is so sweet, I loving love exploring the house and learning more about this family and all these characters and solving the various puzzles of trying to get to different locations while managing my power' and the devs went 'Oh, okay well here are a few games that have literally none of those mechanics and are just generic afterthoughts' and were somehow surprised that people didn't like them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Morpheus posted:

The game itself wasn't actually that bad - the worst part about it was that it was attached to the XCOM franchise.

Edit: As in it set up expectations that the game couldn't match and a dumb ending to explain why no one remembered what happened.

Yea I remember a lot of folks getting riled up about it because it was announced quite some time before the XCOM reboot was announced.

And then it came out after the reboot and most folks seemed to have no strong opinions either way on it, presumably because they were too busy playing a great reboot.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Srice posted:

Yea I remember a lot of folks getting riled up about it because it was announced quite some time before the XCOM reboot was announced.

And then it came out after the reboot and most folks seemed to have no strong opinions either way on it, presumably because they were too busy playing a great reboot.

The development of The Bureau was started some two years before the XCOM remake, and probably was meant as some sort of prequel but it went through a development hell to get out and missed its mark by some degree.

But as someone said earlier, it would have been way cooler if it were an detective-scifi-game akin to X-Files, where you spend the entire campaign tracking down the alien tech and the 4-5 sectoids from the crash site at Roswell. With the invasion some 50 years later happening because the Temple ship and its fleet came in to search for their missing forward scouts.

EDIT: You could even keep the 3D shooter aspect, and introduce Exalt, Russians, ufo cult (of sirius) and mind-controlled soldiers/cops or altered animals as your non-alien foes on each investigation.

...And you learn in the XCOM that most alien combat tech is equipped with self-destruct when the alien owner of the device dies, so basically you could go with the "we learned next to jack poo poo but now we know that we need the XCOM initiative to survive if these shitheads decide to do a full-scale invasion". Or at the end of your campaign you capture the commanding sectoid captain alive, and it mindcontrols the not-Central, who sets off the self-destruct and destroys the original base and most of the evidence and witnesses with it. The end credits play over the XCOM force building its new base and over time, setting up the hologlobe, test flying the new Skyranger and testing out different body armors and stuff you see as 1st tier gear in the remake.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Nov 2, 2020

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

All this talk about 3rd person action X-COM and I thought y'all were talking about Enforcer.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Deus Ex: Invisible War did the inverse where it got a lot of good press and was well reviewed and grew into being the terrible horrible no good game everyone always hated due to not living up to the original.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

buddhist nudist posted:

Deus Ex: Invisible War did the inverse where it got a lot of good press and was well reviewed and grew into being the terrible horrible no good game everyone always hated due to not living up to the original.

I never played it but man it had some of the worst box art. Looking at a video of the gameplay, the art direction looks a lot like Goldeneye.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

I never played it but man it had some of the worst box art. Looking at a video of the gameplay, the art direction looks a lot like Goldeneye.

Yeah, the style is very... of its time.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Der Kyhe posted:

The development of The Bureau was started some two years before the XCOM remake, and probably was meant as some sort of prequel but it went through a development hell to get out and missed its mark by some degree.

But as someone said earlier, it would have been way cooler if it were an detective-scifi-game akin to X-Files, where you spend the entire campaign tracking down the alien tech and the 4-5 sectoids from the crash site at Roswell. With the invasion some 50 years later happening because the Temple ship and its fleet came in to search for their missing forward scouts.

EDIT: You could even keep the 3D shooter aspect, and introduce Exalt, Russians, ufo cult (of sirius) and mind-controlled soldiers/cops or altered animals as your non-alien foes on each investigation.

...And you learn in the XCOM that most alien combat tech is equipped with self-destruct when the alien owner of the device dies, so basically you could go with the "we learned next to jack poo poo but now we know that we need the XCOM initiative to survive if these shitheads decide to do a full-scale invasion". Or at the end of your campaign you capture the commanding sectoid captain alive, and it mindcontrols the not-Central, who sets off the self-destruct and destroys the original base and most of the evidence and witnesses with it. The end credits play over the XCOM force building its new base and over time, setting up the hologlobe, test flying the new Skyranger and testing out different body armors and stuff you see as 1st tier gear in the remake.

And then SpoonyOne yelled how much of a betrayal it was right outside of the hall they were showing the trailers of and all the devs heard him and then hosed it up for basically every game reviewer for Channel Awesome going forward.

Although considering what came out of that, maybe it's for the best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

buddhist nudist posted:

As someone who was a Deus Ex fan at the time, nah. It had a bad reputation from the start. People liked the lighting engine but tiny levels, bad UI and tenuous connection to the original were complaints of the time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Death Stranding

The pace of gameplay much improves when you beat chapter 3 and get access to the ziplines, to the extant that it's a terrible idea to do any side-jobs before that point. This is when you have 40 missions out of 70 completed, they go by pretty quickly but the propect of backtracking on the side before you get the cool toys is terrible. They should pretty much say on the box not do side-questing before you get the ziplines.

That prick at the wind farm who expects hhis packages in shape and on time can go gently caress himself.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Nov 2, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

The funny thing is that I remember back in the day public perception swung another way, with a not insignificant amount of players going "oooh it's actually an RTS" and trying to play it like Starcraft, then complaining online when that didn't work either cause you do still need to hack and slash and get in the thick of it.

It was much better as a charming 3rd person action-adventure game with ok mechanics than a kinda crappy RTS. Also a shame that the 3rd act to the plot was missing (especially since that would have been the one with maximum Tim Curry)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

And then SpoonyOne yelled how much of a betrayal it was right outside of the hall they were showing the trailers... Channel Awesome

Was he the game reviewer who was ousted as a pedophile or the one who was diagnosed for severe mental issues?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am pretty sure the latter.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

The title screen music is wayyy louder than the rest of the game.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Zoig posted:

Chibi Robo zip lash completely killed the franchise after multiple mismanaged games and was indeed, supposed to gauge interest in the franchise. It was a completely unremarkable platformer which played nothing like the previous entries; Oh and it had a level select that was a loving roulette wheel and you needed to go to every level to go to the next world, and yes you would have to redo a level if you landed on it.

The game is pretty dang putrid yes.

I didn't like that Path of Exile made the endgame levels require a consumed map that were random drops, which meant I had to tediously trade for all the maps to complete the different levels (or farm a level hoping to get a map for a new level). What you are describing sounds like cruel and unusual punishment.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I continually think that almost all of Double Fine's games would be better as cartoons instead of games. The ideas and humors are great but the gameplay always brings it down.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RareAcumen posted:

The souls series desperately needs an option to respec.

Dunno about BB, but 2 and 3 both have means of doing so.

The Shame Boy posted:

And then SpoonyOne yelled how much of a betrayal it was right outside of the hall they were showing the trailers of and all the devs heard him and then hosed it up for basically every game reviewer for Channel Awesome going forward.

:actually: if I remember right the only alleged fallout from that was notable piece of poo poo LordKat maybe losing the chance to interview...uh, other notable piece of poo poo Notch. Obviously this single event completely shut down LK's burgeoning game journalism career and it definitely had nothing to do with him being a remarkably awful person.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The Shame Boy posted:

This was so good just for watching Angry Joe look incredibly awkward next to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_Ca45JRFs

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

rydiafan posted:

All this talk about 3rd person action X-COM and I thought y'all were talking about Enforcer.

Enforcer is actually pretty fun game. Clearly hacked together from old assets just so they could sell something, but it's nice simple fast-paced arcadey no-nonsense action. Too bad that the guns aren't all that exciting until you've upgraded them several times and most people probably stopped playing after the second level.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

Dunno about BB, but 2 and 3 both have means of doing so.

:actually: if I remember right the only alleged fallout from that was notable piece of poo poo LordKat maybe losing the chance to interview...uh, other notable piece of poo poo Notch. Obviously this single event completely shut down LK's burgeoning game journalism career and it definitely had nothing to do with him being a remarkably awful person.

Wasn't LordKat the one who told Spoony to go take his brother's gun and shoot himself? Yeah, that guy wasn't going to last long in the spotlight.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Death Stranding

The pace of gameplay much improves when you beat chapter 3 and get access to the ziplines, to the extant that it's a terrible idea to do any side-jobs before that point. This is when you have 40 missions out of 70 completed, they go by pretty quickly but the propect of backtracking on the side before you get the cool toys is terrible. They should pretty much say on the box not do side-questing before you get the ziplines.

That prick at the wind farm who expects hhis packages in shape and on time can go gently caress himself.

Ziplines kick so much rear end and I appreciate that they represent the ultimate trade-off in efficiency. Setting up a zipline network is time consuming and often incredibly challenging, but it also trivializes any backtracking you’ll ever have to do afterward and saves you an incomprehensible amount of time in the long run. I actually didn’t set up my network until I was near the end of Chapter 8, since that’s when you’ll have fully explored the central region. I wanted to know the full layout of the map so I could avoid inefficiencies as best as I could

In retrospect, though, loading up a bunch of PCCs and throwing down ziplines here and there as you trekked through the mountains to simplify backtracking on the first time through would’ve made things waaaaay easier and I kinda wish I did that. You can dismantle stuff from the map so reworking the system later wouldn’t be any harder than just starting from scratch

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Why the hell is GTAV making me take Michael through Flight School missions (starting with "taking off") when I've already beat multiple aircraft missions with Trevor, and there's literally a previous major story mission relying on the player knowing how to fly. I'm legitimately confused.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So I was going through my backlog and decided to play hover, a game with the hilarious subtle "revolt of gamers" but aside from that joke and clearly not being translated even close to well its been decently fun.
But then makes you do this terrible sportball mission 3 times where the ai is incredibly stupid and only really capable of scoring through sheer luck, but also if they hit you there's a 30% chance you are just going to rocket in a random direction. Its like if jet set radio stopped to have you play street hockey.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Brutal Legend had interesting ideas, I liked the idea behind the RTS stuff because it fit the idea of the "You are a roadie, hanging out backstage supporting the band" idea and Eddie was a fun character - until his betrayal of Ophelia. Yes, he betrayed her, not the other way around. The villain shows up, is all like "BTW your girlfriend's been spying for me the whole time!" clearly trying to stir poo poo, and Eddie is dumb enough to believe him, causing him to do the one thing he said that he'd never do and abandon Ophelia like everyone else did. Which resulted in her throwing herself into the pool of black tears. Way to go, jackass!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Metroid Federation Force was hated on release because it was a spinoff to a series that hadn't seen a proper game in nine years. Nobody would have cared were it made in the franchise's heydey, like the pinball and multiplayer spinoffs, but it failed to read the room and promptly tanked. It also didnt help that the character of Samus Aran was again handled in an embrassing manner.

What other examples are there of a belated spinoff striking the wrong chord long before release and then never escaping the label, regardless of quality? Of course there's the DMC reboot nobody wanted, the XCOM shooter, and the Metal Gear asset-flip.

How about Pacman 2? I don't know how many people were itching for a Pacman sequel at that point but those who were probably didn't want this.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

Brutal Legend had interesting ideas, I liked the idea behind the RTS stuff because it fit the idea of the "You are a roadie, hanging out backstage supporting the band" idea and Eddie was a fun character - until his betrayal of Ophelia. Yes, he betrayed her, not the other way around. The villain shows up, is all like "BTW your girlfriend's been spying for me the whole time!" clearly trying to stir poo poo, and Eddie is dumb enough to believe him, causing him to do the one thing he said that he'd never do and abandon Ophelia like everyone else did. Which resulted in her throwing herself into the pool of black tears. Way to go, jackass!

And to think if he knew some Shakespeare, Eddie could have predicted this!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why the hell is GTAV making me take Michael through Flight School missions (starting with "taking off") when I've already beat multiple aircraft missions with Trevor, and there's literally a previous major story mission relying on the player knowing how to fly. I'm legitimately confused.

Sorry to tell you but GTAV just straight up sucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I'm having a lot more fun than I expected. There are plenty of things I don't like or are done poorly, but the core gameplay is fun.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly I'm having a lot more fun than I expected. There are plenty of things I don't like or are done poorly, but the core gameplay is fun.

Have you been tested for COVID-19? Because loss of taste is a common symptom.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

muscles like this! posted:

As someone who was a Deus Ex fan at the time, nah. It had a bad reputation from the start. People liked the lighting engine but tiny levels, bad UI and tenuous connection to the original were complaints of the time.

Yeah, agreed. There were other things like how the levels were tiny boxes due to console memory limitations which the original Deus Ex didn't have to worry about, and the universal ammo system which meant that firing your rocket launcher ate all your pistol ammo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Invisible War stands as one of those games that will never be vindicated since looking back it's still boring and broken. Human Revolution, despite it's laundry-list of niggles like the crummy ending and the XP system that only heavily favour stealth, stands up as a worthy game that doesnt leave PC or console out in the cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXZyXnmsiA4

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been playing this Skyrim total conversion mod called Enderal and it's pretty interesting so far, but the gameplay is still just Skyrim which wasn't great 9 years ago.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

How about Pacman 2? I don't know how many people were itching for a Pacman sequel at that point but those who were probably didn't want this.

Those sorts of windows must be a real pane

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

That's where I stopped playing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

That's where I stopped playing.

loving hate it when protagonists listen to literally anything the villain has to say.

"Oh ho but before you defeat me, wouldn't you like to know who is going to betray you?"

The correct answer should be "Why the hell would I listen to you, gently caress off."

But lazy writing often doesn't have that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Sorry to tell you but GTAV just straight up sucks.

Ehhh, I'd say it's a good game that I have zero loving intention of ever touching again because it's actively a slog and not enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

words that are normally used to describe good games