Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Hermes choices also heavily depend on your Mirror of Night choices.

I use 3s regenerating casts instead of crystals, and Ruthless Reflex instead of double-dash. I find both of these to be better base-level choices than the alternates, but they also get a lot bigger boosts from extra casts and extra dashes. Likewise, a 50% dodge chance a lot of the time from Ruthless Reflex stacks really nicely with other sources of Dodge.

If I had my two Hermes picks, it would almost certainly be +3 Dashes and increased move speed and dodge speed after a Dash. Being able to reliably reposition is the key to the game, and they give you the most speed when you actually need it.

Side Hustle is good too, because you can just buy out everything in Styx with it and gain a ton of offensive power, but you'll still get chipped down if you can't evade Dad's attacks 95% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I just had an absurd run using Adamant Rail.

Started the round with Curse of Agony, and immediately upgraded that with a couple Poms. Then things were normal for a while, until I hit my first Demeter and added Frost Flourish to my special.

First Daedalus Hammer pick was Cluster Bomb. Added a couple Artemus boons for Crit Bonus and Hermes for Special fire rate and chumped the second boss with that combo and a Nemesis Crest. That carried me for a while, and I farmed money while I picked passive defense from Athena and early bonus damage from Poseiden.

Then, the final pair rooms leading up to boss three wound up giving me Delta Chamber with Daedalus Hammer number two and Zeus Lightning Strike. Final level, buying out Charon added Rare Crop, Static Discharge, and Zeus' Aid. Clearing the rooms added more crit bonus and Arctic Blast.

By the end of the run, combat consisted of dashing to a wall or obstacle, firing six grenades straight up, dashing out, watching chill stack per stacked grenade, firing into the explosion to pile on Doom in three shot bursts, and then following up with another grenade volley, at which point everything would hit 10 stacks of chill and explode.

More than made up for the handful of aborted runs leading up to that one. I usually hate using the Rail, but Delta Chamber makes it fun.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What happens if you run out of time on tight deadline?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fargin Icehole posted:

HP drain. So you can actually go over the time limit and still beat the area, then get another __ minutes added to the countdown.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Fargin Icehole posted:

You start losing health

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Switched to controller, beat Meg, then one-shot Hydra. Much less clumsy. Auto-aim helps with projectiles enough.

Was wondering why they don't use mouse-move, then I remembered why i quit playing Bastion. Guess it's a design philosophy?

Is beating each boss with different weapons good for maximizing loot? Are there any other reasons to switch around weapons besides getting the Fates achieves?

Unfortunately, there is no button on the controller for petting Dusa.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Cobalt-60 posted:

Was wondering why they don't use mouse-move, then I remembered why i quit playing Bastion. Guess it's a design philosophy?

What? Like a moba or Diablo? This would be WAY too slow for a game like Hades.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Are there any other reasons to switch around weapons besides getting the Fates achieves?

There is usually one weapon, prior to each run, that will give you a Gemstone and Darkness bonus.

Aside from that, just variety. Though I still prefer to stick with either the shield or the spear.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mouse-move would be horrible in a game this fast-paced.

If you really want similar functionality you can rebind Dash to right-click (which I did almost immediately after playing the game for the first time).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there an agreed-upon keepsake tier list? For my first few clears I was using the broken spearhead keepsake, which just seemed like the best one of them by a country mile. Am I missing something? After I saw the credits I started using the post-credits keepsake pom blossom and leveled that all the way up. I've been using that until Styx when I switch back to the spearhead. Are any of the others worth using? The other post-credits keepsake seems kinda pointless.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Is beating each boss with different weapons good for maximizing loot? Are there any other reasons to switch around weapons besides getting the Fates achieves?

The answer to this isn't super straightforward. Yes, eventually you'll want to clear every boss with every weapon. But more importantly is just clearing every boss - the story moves forward each run, win or lose, and you come back with loot each time. If you want to just get really good with one weapon so you can clear the game you're not wasting time, and the darkness you collect will come in handy.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pom Blossom is good iff you happened across a winning boon combination in Tartarus or Asphodel and can plan to rigorously stick to it. After that point it'll be too split among too many boons to have a meaningful (or consistent) impact.

Think something like Poseidon sword + Artemis cast and few/nothing else that scales with Pom levels.

Sigil of the Dead is good if you're trying to force choices in Styx and want to eliminate Calls from your choice pool.

As for tier list:

Cthonic Coinpurse (Tartarus only) = Olympian Keepsake (pre-Styx)

>

🥴 ~~~~ Lambent Plume (full run) >>> Pierced Butterfly (full run) ~~~~ 🥴

>

Broken Spearpoint (Styx)

>

Pom Blossom = Evergreen Acorn

>

The rest

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I made my first escape tonight and drat it felt good to kill Father.

This was my 33rd run. I think once I got through the Bone Hydra the first time things started to click, but getting to the end still took some time. Biggest improvement is when I switched from KB/M to a controller around run 20...

Time to try all weapons to the end now.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Worth mentioning that you don't have to equip the Coin Purse at the start to get its effect. I used to run Chaos Egg > Coin Purse/relevant Olympian trinket (in either order) > Cerberus/Skelly (depending on how many DDs I had left).

There's no reason to keep Coin Purse equipped for more than one zone, but that one zone can in theory be any of them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Pro tip on the chaos egg: make sure you check every charon well shop. There is an item he can sell that forces a chaos gate to spawn, which is really the only way you're getting very many chaos gates.

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay
Congrats on the first clear! Playing on a KB/M sounds, uh, challenging.

Picked Hades up last week myself and dang, this game is super rad. Great look, fun lore, killer OST, good doggo, and the combat feels buttery smooth. Took me 11 tries to win (way more forgiving that beta Dead Cells which murdered me forever) after I switched from spear to a gun. Maybe the gun is a crutch?

Currently starting run 27 with a 14 win streak at 13 heat using the Eris Rail. Is there any reward for win streaks? I just unlocked EM4 and have been told I will get my skittles stomped in hard (I don't know anything about whats changed) and was wondering if I should be cowardly and avoid it for now while building heat levels.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think i played bastion with a KB+M in 2012, and that was not a good idea. I recommend a controller

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally the only issue I’ve had with K+M was the secret aspect for the fists, because dash into special is a real weird keyboard input to have to do on the regular.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Sydin posted:

Everybody says Athena is a one boon wonder with the dash, but her trap damage reduction is a godsend in Asphodel, particularly vs EM2 Hydra.
I always thought Sure Footing was a "I don't like any of these other ones, so..." choice, but inching into one of Hades' jars and seeing it only do 6 damage I thought, this is pretty nice.

Hulk Krogan posted:

So any advice on what pact terms to go with for 32 heat runs? Because drat.
There's a wealth of advice on Reddit and elsewhere, and lots of different ways to do it, but my personal tactic was:

Things to do:
* Extreme Measures 3. EM4 is a good heat bonus if you can bear it, but it's also sad to get that far and lose because of an insane three phase boss.
* Benefits Package and Middle Management arguably make the game more fun so they're not huge downsides, though you can definitely get screwed by Middle Management, particularly Speeder enemies if you also have Forced Overtime 2.
* Underworld Customs can be free if you picked up enough boons, otherwise it has a chance of wrecking your build but you can't afford not to have it.
* Both levels of Forced Overtime if you can bear it, though you may opt to replace the second level with something else.
* Both levels of Damage Control, though this is substantially worse for some weapons and areas. Bosses aren't any harder, but even those dumb skulls in Tartarus can cause trouble.
* One level of Approval Process. Two levels might be tempting for the lols, but you're leaving it all up to RNG so it probably won't work out.
* Two levels of Tight Deadline. I had trouble with the second level until I learned to pause all the dang time.

Things not to do:
* Don't increase number of enemies or enemy health. Less enemy health means you're quicker to clear a room means you're less likely to lose health.
* A lot of people say both levels of Convenience Fee are "free" heat because you don't really *need* stores, but I found the lack of boons from taking both levels to mean I was more likely to get screwed by Underworld Customs
* Even the first level of Routine Inspection feels bad to me. I don't have the math at hand but the lack of boosted boon rarity feels like a 30% damage decrease overall, which is no good when you're trying to tear through baddies as quickly and safely as possible.

Your remaining points can be put into Hard Labor or Lasting Consequences, within reason.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I literally sat there slackjawed for 20 seconds when I found this legendary for the first time just now.

I know it's early in the game (Heat 2, first Arthur clear) and there certainly are more depraved combos, but this felt dirty.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it definitely felt like i had a good guan yu run going finally, went into the minotaur and the other guy with full death defiance and health, got them down to 25% still at full health

then poo poo just completely unravelled fast, took about five big hits and welp back to dad

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Keys and mouse works fine. Obviously some prefer controller but I’ve done every weapon to somewhere between 16 and 32 heat exclusively with KBM

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I got a maxed out Zag sword, +40% move speed from Hermes and the well, multiple dashes, and the boon that increases your speed after a dash. It's insane how fast I was zipping across rooms. If only that move speed boon had been Epic or Heroic...

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Sivart13 posted:

Your remaining points can be put into Hard Labor or Lasting Consequences, within reason.

Something to note - going up multiple points in one of these is usually more tolerable than mixing them both together

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pom Blossom is good iff you happened across a winning boon combination in Tartarus or Asphodel and can plan to rigorously stick to it. After that point it'll be too split among too many boons to have a meaningful (or consistent) impact.

Think something like Poseidon sword + Artemis cast and few/nothing else that scales with Pom levels.

Sigil of the Dead is good if you're trying to force choices in Styx and want to eliminate Calls from your choice pool.

Is sigil of the dead actually useful for, you know, using it?

Maybe it's because I'm still doing <5 heat runs on things, but even without synergy the +1 level/4 encounters seems great. Just makes everything better, and I can avoid pom rooms in favor of other things I'm going for. Then again I might be doing something wrong because I often clear it with far fewer boons than some of the screenshots in this thread have.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally the only issue I’ve had with K+M was the secret aspect for the fists, because dash into special is a real weird keyboard input to have to do on the regular.

Day 1 I rebound Special to side mouse button and Dash to right click and never looked back.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is sigil of the dead actually useful for, you know, using it?

Maybe it's because I'm still doing <5 heat runs on things, but even without synergy the +1 level/4 encounters seems great. Just makes everything better, and I can avoid pom rooms in favor of other things I'm going for. Then again I might be doing something wrong because I often clear it with far fewer boons than some of the screenshots in this thread have.

A lot of these screenshots are mashing both boons during the run (over gold), and finishing all of styx and buying out Charon's shop. Normally styx is 2-3 rooms long, but if you take 5 rooms (rerolled into boons thanks to authority!) plus an extra 3-4 boons from charon, that's a huge spammy difference on the final victory screen.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Picked this up this weekend. Put in about 30 runs/10 or so wins. Seems to be some uh, interesting design choices. Like I don't know if it's my playstyle or whatever, but say Exacalibur vs Guan Yu's spear might as well be in completely different games for how different they seem in power levels, despite being their respective weapon's capstone unlocks.

disclaimer: I don't have any of the other final weapons for comparison yet.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 3, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Pushed dodge chance above 80% with aspect of zagreus fists. Pretty good!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/1323656394466353156
Lol at Charon popping in at the end

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hell yes 32 heat clear!

It’s actually not very fun imo. I hate having to do things like cut out boon choices and turn off the mirror. I found EM4 much more fulfilling as a way to up the difficulty than stuff like that

I ended up winning with Eris rail and literally 0 boons that worked well together because of all the restrictions. Just a bunch of random poo poo at level 1

Good news is the game is still very fun when it’s not on 32 heat

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i'm at around 15 heat currently but I won't be adding the conditions that take away my options and choices, not really into that. that's fine though, i'll probably still do a few runs now and then

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

also, this game looks like it would work great with some good DLC. just add a god and a weapon and you're godo. i hear supergiant don't usually do DLC though.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Can proc or dot damage crit? Zeus lightning bolts, doom, hangover, jolted, etc. If it's a per-case basis, is there a list somewhere?

Sometimes I need to know in order to decide if I should pick up artemis or something else

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

Can proc or dot damage crit? Zeus lightning bolts, doom, hangover, jolted, etc. If it's a per-case basis, is there a list somewhere?

Sometimes I need to know in order to decide if I should pick up artemis or something else

I believe so, thats why pressure points is so good (and such a low % compared to other skills)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Saint Freak posted:

Like I don't know if it's my playstyle or whatever, but say Exacalibur vs Guan Yu's spear might as well be in completely different games for how different they seem in power levels, despite being their respective weapon's capstone unlocks.
Arthur and Guan Yu exist on opposite poles of player opinion, where most seem to like the tanky big hits of Arthur while considering Guan Yu a joke aspect that exists to hurt your feelings.

Most of the aspects, including the hidden ones, are not strictly "better" or "worse" though there will always exist a lively debate and tier lists etc.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Khizan posted:

My list of worst Hammers.

Bow: Explosive Shot. Charging slower is an instant no.

Explosive shot rules on hidden aspect if you want to be Goku and have HUGE NUMBERS

One of my favorite runs had Arty/Explosive/Power Shot bonus and I could hit people for 3-4k on a crit :v:

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 3, 2020

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do side effects of attack like doom, lightning damage, etc, count as "attacks" for the purpose of Shared Suffering?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Does anyone know how well this runs on a 2018 MacBook Pro? I should be fine going by the recommended specs, but a lot of Mac ports run kinda lovely even so.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dragongem posted:

Explosive shot rules on hidden aspect if you want to be Goku and have HUGE NUMBERS

i will always take explosive shot on rama, because it is hilarious to have a power shot that takes like 5 seconds to charge

i will also say i have not yet lost a run doing this, so, knock on wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Game's fun enough but I could do without the Harry Potter headcanon poo poo vis a vis Greek myth