Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odovaucer
Oct 23, 2003
Ostrogoth

Mystic Stylez posted:

that picture is kinda misleading because by the time the camera pans out to the end zone the ball has already been thrown and everybody is converging into it, plus the defenders possibly were reading Lamar's head/eyes

I could be wrong though

that's miles boykin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

the picture is misleading because you can only see the 8 on the back of his jersey, but since we know the only other wide receiver with a number beginning with 8, willie snead, is the one being thrown to, we can conclude that this is indeed miles boykin

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Time posted:

THE PLAGUENS

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

the picture is misleading because it suggests that Miles Boykin is an NFL player

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Mystic Stylez posted:

the picture is misleading because it suggests that Miles Boykin is an NFL player

It’s also misleading because it implies Lamar is one, as well

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

How much worse, numerically, is Miles Boykin compared to Snead in quadruple coverage

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I forgot all about the fact that the refs inexplicably refused to set the clock back due to the injured steeler and just left it where it was when the ravens got set. what a farcical game.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
:salt:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I’m glad the ravens lost

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

that picture is kinda misleading because by the time the camera pans out to the end zone the ball has already been thrown and everybody is converging into it, plus the defenders possibly were reading Lamar's head/eyes

I could be wrong though
yes and it's the exact same misrepresentation that happens every single time a QB doesn't make a game-winning throw

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

a patagonian cavy posted:

I’m glad the ravens lost

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

I could be wrong though

It's this

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!

Lamar Can't Throw

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I am a terrible idiot Pittsburgh fan who is much less knowledgeable than most people here, but I feel like the Steelers are not as good as they appear, and need a lot more offensive production, and soon. However, I have said for years that Tomlin is among the best coaches in the NFL; I'm not looking at stats from this week, but as of last week, pittsburgh was first in time of possession while being like 15th in offensive yards, and LA was by far first in yards and I think 12th? in time of possession. Most of these offensive stats are driven by individual player production and time of possession is one of the stats driven most by play-calling, right?

everyone on this forum is like "ARGH gently caress YOU AND DIE" so let me be clear, I'm legit asking for opinions here and don't actually want to murder ravens fans (I mean, I do, but not for the sake of this conversation)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
bro

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
dude idk

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!

You know your team is good when you get playoff posters in November

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

BrownThunder posted:

You know your team is good when you get playoff posters in November

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

anime tupac posted:

I am a terrible idiot Pittsburgh fan who is much less knowledgeable than most people here, but I feel like the Steelers are not as good as they appear, and need a lot more offensive production, and soon. However, I have said for years that Tomlin is among the best coaches in the NFL; I'm not looking at stats from this week, but as of last week, pittsburgh was first in time of possession while being like 15th in offensive yards, and LA was by far first in yards and I think 12th? in time of possession. Most of these offensive stats are driven by individual player production and time of possession is one of the stats driven most by play-calling, right?

everyone on this forum is like "ARGH gently caress YOU AND DIE" so let me be clear, I'm legit asking for opinions here and don't actually want to murder ravens fans (I mean, I do, but not for the sake of this conversation)

They clearly aren't ahead of the Chiefs or Tampa, maybe not the Seahawks. But get this, they are beating bad teams and good teams at home and away, so they're pretty good

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

anime tupac posted:

yeah that feels about right. I definitely wasn't impressed with the offense and, defensively, I know Alualu is a huge guy and Bush/Hilton are good players too but I was blown away by the awful defense.

Steelers feel like they're stuck in a certain philosophy, and, at the very least, it may just be a regular season thing. Priority number 1 is protecting Ben and making sure he doesn't eat poo poo and get knocked out. The sack he took in the late 3rd or early 4th where it looked like his elbow got roughed up should scare the poo poo out of any yinzer. But in doing this, you have to just run the quick passing 'catch and go' type offense. Its a matchup specific offense and, like I said last week, the Ravens are one of the teams really well suited for that game with physical corners that love to play press and also focus on tearing out the ball. But even teams with bad corners can gently caress with receivers at the line if that's all you ever do. The Steelers definitely opened up offensively when they let their receivers run down, got Ben to wait, and let plays develop (not that it was insanely great, but compared to the first half offense... yeah)

But that also invites the sack and them looking at his elbow. So my Steelers theory right now is that this is basically their regular season offense. Protect Ben as much as possible, qualify for the playoffs, take advantage of the schedule etc. And then for the playoffs revert to (or use in combination with the aforementioned offense) the longer developing passing plays, the medium-to-long passing game of past Steelers offenses. Give teams minimal 2020 tape on that style, while also diving all in when it counts plus minimizing the risk on Ben's health.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

D-LINK posted:

They clearly aren't ahead of the Chiefs or Tampa, maybe not the Seahawks. But get this, they are beating bad teams and good teams at home and away, so they're pretty good

I think they’re on that level. the Chiefs haven’t really been able to put it all together outside of the Jets game, they’ve had fits against some ok defenses. the Seahawks have RWBS always but that defense is atrocious and the Steelers’ ball control will go a long way to minimizing what Russ can do. and we just saw Tampa get taken to the wire by the freaking Giants. I feel like all the top tier teams have some pretty obvious flaws this year and the Steelers belong in that convo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

anime tupac is a top 3 steelers poster, to me. a nice friend to have.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Two of the stillerbirds flew past me this morning!!!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Agreed, anime tupac.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

the real test for the steelers come in the next two weeks when they face former Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton and then in the following week, the Cincinnati Bengals themselves. it's impossible to know if they're good before those games tbqh

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's hosed that i can't watch the 5-2-1 (level of quality) cincinnati bengals this week.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Steelers are going to go like 14-2 and lose to a random team like the Colts in the divisional

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Well, football is a high variance game so when you think about, all that matters is the regular season. Except for the 1970s, and 2000s. Those seasons it matters who won the championship. This year the super bowl might matter, we don’t know yet

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Agreed. I agree with the proposal from Kawalimus to award a President's Trophy for the NFL that a team can feel proud to hang from the rafters

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Steelers are going to get the 2nd seed then proceed to lose to 7th seed Cleveland Browns

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Metapod posted:

Steelers are going to get the 2nd seed then proceed to lose to 7th seed Cleveland Browns

Guy who has been wrong all season wants you to know that this time, his bold prediction is right

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
When have I been wrong?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

anime tupac posted:

well Im a terrible idiot Ravens fan. nice.to meet ya

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
the Cincinnati bengals have not lost a football game in over a week!!!!!

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Metapod posted:

When have I been wrong?

My favorite one was the Steelers are a poorly run team, but let's start with "The Titans are equal to the Steelers," which they aren't, especially after losing to the Browns.

Happy election day, pod.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Both of those are true?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Oh, ok. No, neither are true. Both are fake news buddy

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
constant meltdowns for a decade aren't signs of a poorly run team??????????

a 3 point win that came down to a missed fg at the end doesnt show equality??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Ravens lost to the Browns and then went on a tear to end the season so actually losing to them is a sign of a good team

What? No, I don’t think there was a postseason last year