Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do Sphinxes feel kinda fuzzy like velvet when you pet them or as I imagine is it more like petting a leather bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

explosivo posted:

Do Sphinxes feel kinda fuzzy like velvet when you pet them or as I imagine is it more like petting a leather bag?

They feel like suede.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BaronVonVaderham posted:

They feel like suede.

That rules. It's weird how much cats look like space aliens when they don't have any fur.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Here's ours
https://instagram.com/tony.and.stark

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These are our two little girls we’ve had for nearly a month now.

https://www.instagram.com/lynxandbluebell/

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

explosivo posted:

While sphinxes are really cute, if they don't have whiskers, they basically lack a sense organ compared to most cats. That seems like a trait that harms the cat, so I can't support breeding them. Same as deaf cats, fold-ear cats and short-faced cats, people are creating a disabled animal for their own amusement.

Of course I don't want to blame anyone who has such a cat. If you didn't buy them from a breeder then you have done nothing wrong, and even if you did you probably had your reasons. But I would ask people to consider this when getting a new cat.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Aww I didn’t realize that. :smith:

Also Harold and the bathtub adventure continues, just now he leapt onto the ledge like always and then started drinking the hot bath water. I don’t put anything in it so I’m not worried, just incredibly confused. You have a full bowl of bottled mineral water in the bedroom because our pipes are ancient and hard water as hell why are you drinking my bath water like a goon ordering gamer girl juice

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kitfox88 posted:

Aww I didn’t realize that. :smith:

Also Harold and the bathtub adventure continues, just now he leapt onto the ledge like always and then started drinking the hot bath water. I don’t put anything in it so I’m not worried, just incredibly confused. You have a full bowl of bottled mineral water in the bedroom because our pipes are ancient and hard water as hell why are you drinking my bath water like a goon ordering gamer girl juice

One of my cats drinks my shower water left over in the metal door track after I shower like it's mana from heaven. She'll wait right outside the shower for me to finish to get at it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Wait, people are breeding deaf cats on purpose? Why?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

White fur

necroid
May 14, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

people have been doing hosed up poo poo breeding animals for centuries

I touched a neighbour's sphinx cat who'd entered my house through an open window once, they're kinda like heated silicone with a hint of sliminess, would squish again

they look super interesting and are fascinating, but it seems unusually cruel to me that an animal known for its high body temperature has been bred to lose that which helps it mantain warmth

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One of my cats drinks my shower water left over in the metal door track after I shower like it's mana from heaven. She'll wait right outside the shower for me to finish to get at it.

Fuckin cats, man

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pidan posted:

White fur

Oh, right.
What the gently caress.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

One of mine actually has a taste for toilet water...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

One of our others has a taste for menstrual blood :gonk:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Cats love fresh/novel water of all types.

Peridot loves the shower water but thinks she's not allowed it so she will yell at me to leave the bathroom faster so that she can go in while I'm not looking and drink it.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1322097021466087429?s=21

Meeting the neighbors!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

pidan posted:

if they don't have whiskers, they basically lack a sense organ compared to most cats.

That's a really big stretch.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They'd certainly be at a disadvantage as wild cats without whiskers, but seeing as Sphynxes are a man made house breed, they get along just fine.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah there's no evidence of negative effects on their quality of life at all. Not even close to the same category as being blind or deaf (actually missing sensory organs), or the effects of brachycephalic faces on the respiratory system.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is Puddin.

Puddin is antisocial. She is very sweet to us, but hates anything that even looks like another cat. She hisses at our other cat any time she sees him, and she hisses, growls, and sometimes fights with our kittens. She also hisses at outside cats whenever she sees them in the window.

We started her on liquid Fluoxetine (aka Prozac) a little over a week ago to (hopefully) chill her out, but she HATES taking it. Any time she so much as thinks someone is approaching her with the syringe she runs and hides... which, I get it, I’ve taken Prozac myself and it is loving nasty, but it makes giving her her medicine a loving chore. She also doesn’t want to open her mouth when we do get ahold of her, and whenever we finally manage to get it into her mouth she smacks her chops a bunch and lets out a thick line of drool that just kinda hangs off her chin for awhile, which makes me wonder how much of the medicine is actually going into her.

Is there any way I can make it easier to give my cat her meds? Or any other ways to get her to not be a jerk to other cats?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 3, 2020

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I didn't come up with this idea, breeding hairless cats without whiskers is illegal in (many parts of) Germany:
https://www.dw.com/en/german-judge-orders-hairless-cat-to-be-castrated/a-18736227

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They'd certainly be at a disadvantage as wild cats without whiskers, but seeing as Sphynxes are a man made house breed, they get along just fine.

You could say the same thing about deaf cats!
But most of us are willing to make some compromises about animal welfare if it benefits us. If you feel that the disadvantage to the individual cat and the cat breed in general is outweighed by the benefit you get from having that specific type of cat, that's certainly no worse than eating chicken or drinking milk (which also involve torturous animal breeds). So I'm not really criticizing anyone, just stating my personal feelings about the matter, and hopefully making people aware of the question.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

pidan posted:

But most of us are willing to make some compromises about animal welfare if it benefits us. If you feel that the disadvantage to the individual cat and the cat breed in general is outweighed by the benefit you get from having that specific type of cat, that's certainly no worse than eating chicken or drinking milk (which also involve torturous animal breeds). So I'm not really criticizing anyone, just stating my personal feelings about the matter, and hopefully making people aware of the question.

"I'm not criticizing you, I'm just saying its tantamount to torture and mass killing. That's just my personal feeling though, that you are a monster, so I don't see why that should bother you, you immoral cretin."

I. M. Gei posted:

This is Puddin.

Is there any way I can make it easier to give my cat her meds? Or any other ways to get her to not be a jerk to other cats?

Is the liquid straight up Prozac, or did you get a flavored variety? If its the former, a compounding pharmacy should be able to make it more palatable for her with various meat flavors.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've had to give medicine to cats with a dropper before, and despite the foamy drool, yeah, they're likely still getting enough of it down. Just make sure you get the dropper as deep into her mouth as you can when you squirt it.

Sadly I don't think there's really an easier way than what you're doing. Just try to sneak up on her with it so she doesn't see the dropper - possibly while she's sleeping so she's too groggy to fight back. Sucks for her, sure, but it's gotta happen.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Actually as long as I’m here I got another question.

Sisqo here is about 8 weeks old now and has not gained (or lost) any weight in like 2 weeks. He is eating solid food out of bowls (he seems to prefer stealing our adult cats’ wet and dry food over the Purina Pro Plan wet kitten food I give him), drinking water, peeing and pooping good, and otherwise seems to be behaving like a normal kitten, but I’m concerned about his nutrition and lack of weight gain. I took him to the vet this past Friday and they found coccydia in his stool and sent him home with some medicine for it, but I’m not sure if the medicine is doing anything since he hasn’t gained any weight since I started giving it to him.

Should I be worried? He has a follow-up appointment at the vet this Friday and I’m wondering if I need to ask them to give him another kind of medicine.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 3, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dienes posted:

Is the liquid straight up Prozac, or did you get a flavored variety? If its the former, a compounding pharmacy should be able to make it more palatable for her with various meat flavors.

It is straight up unflavored Prozac. I don’t know if Walgreens can add a meat flavor to it, but I’d love to know if there’s a place that could!

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Are his dumps like a truck? That is an important health indicator

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Compounding pharmacies can also prepare medicine in different forms for alternate dosing. A lot of cat meds can be prepared as a transdermal cream that you just rub into their ears; some friends of ours give their neurotic cat Valium this way, and it seems to be much less of a hassle than liquid or pills.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Actually as long as I’m here I got another question.

Sisqo here is about 8 weeks old now and has not gained (or lost) any weight in like 2 weeks. He is eating solid food out of bowls (he seems to prefer stealing our adult cats’ wet and dry food over the Purina Pro Plan wet kitten food I give him), drinking water, peeing and pooping good, and otherwise seems to be behaving like a normal kitten, but I’m concerned about his nutrition and lack of weight gain. I took him to the vet this past Friday and they found coccydia in his stool and sent him home with some medicine for it, but I’m not sure if the medicine is doing anything since he hasn’t gained any weight since I started giving it to him.

Should I be worried? He has a follow-up appointment at the vet this Friday and I’m wondering if I need to ask them to give him another kind of medicine.

If his energy is still high and he's playing like a normal kitten, you're probably fine. Just make sure he's eating mostly the kitten food (like, make sure he finishes his portion of food before stealing the adult stuff) and keep watch for any sudden changes in behavior or energy.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 3, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

If his energy is still high and he's playing like a normal kitten, you're probably fine. Just make sure he's eating mostly the kitten food (like, make sure he finishes his portion of food before stealing the adult stuff) and keep watch for any sudden changes in behavior or energy.

And if he's peeing and pooping like normal that's also a good sign. Changes in that is one of the big warning signs with cats, particularly as kittens.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

pidan posted:

White fur
That's weird. Wolfgang here can hear just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIPDYH2WUtM

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

That's weird. Wolfgang here can hear just fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIPDYH2WUtM

It depends on the cat. The gene for white fur is linked to deafness directly. But not all white cats are deaf, depending on the study it's about 20-70% of white cats, especially the ones with blue eyes.
Breeders who want white cats but not deaf ones have developed some similar colors like chinchilla and silver shaded. They don't have the typical "white cat" look, but they're also beautiful and healthy.

"Burmilla" cat: not white

I can't deny that your white fluffball is very cute :)

necroid
May 14, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Yeah there's no evidence of negative effects on their quality of life at all. Not even close to the same category as being blind or deaf (actually missing sensory organs), or the effects of brachycephalic faces on the respiratory system.

ok I'm sorry and I don't want to be rude but this sounds kinda weird, it feels like you're trying to dismiss the fact that a sphynx is an artificially locked-in aberration, same as dog breeds like pugs that wouldn't survive more than a couple of generations without intensive human care and assistance

are you really saying that a sphynx cat is a normal cat, no big deal?

quote:

Whiskers may be present, either whole or broken, or may be totally absent.

quote:

Though Sphynx cats lack a coat to shed or groom, they are not maintenance-free. Body oils, which would normally be absorbed by the hair, tend to build up on the skin. As a result, regular bathing is usually necessary weekly or bi-weekly.[13] Care should be taken to limit the Sphynx cat's exposure to outdoor sunlight at length, as they can develop sunburn and skin damage similar to that of humans. In general, Sphynx cats should never be allowed outdoors unattended, as they have limited means to conserve body heat when it is cold. In some climates, owners provide coats or other clothing in the winter to help them conserve body heat.[14][better source needed]

quote:

Sphynx cats can also have more ear wax than most hairy domestic cats because they have little to no hair in their ears. Dirt, skin oils (sebum) and ear wax accumulates in the ears, and needs to be cleaned out[16][better source needed] on a weekly basis, usually before bath time.

quote:

The Sphynx breed also tends to accumulate oils and debris under the nails as well as the skin fold above the nail due to the lack of fur, so, like the ears, the nails and surrounding skin folds need to be cleaned properly as well.[17][better source needed] Due to these factors the breed may require more grooming than a typical domestic cat with fur. Specialty products for this cat have been developed, though they still require more grooming than most breeds.

P.S. : I like sphynxes, I like their look, but I can't help but feel sad for a cat without hair, just like I do for dogs with respiratory or hip issues caused by human selection

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

necroid posted:

ok I'm sorry and I don't want to be rude but this sounds kinda weird, it feels like you're trying to dismiss the fact that a sphynx is an artificially locked-in aberration, same as dog breeds like pugs that wouldn't survive more than a couple of generations without intensive human care and assistance

P.S. : I like sphynxes, I like their look, but I can't help but feel sad for a cat without hair, just like I do for dogs with respiratory or hip issues caused by human selection

No. They're probably hosed up to some degree just like purebred dogs, and everyone should adopt not shop, and gently caress all breeders, dog and cat alike. I'm just saying in THIS ONE SPECIFIC CIRCUMSTANCE, they probably get along just fine.

I mean I literally said they probably wouldn't survive in the wild

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

necroid posted:

No, I'm saying lacking whiskers is not equivalent to "missing a sensory organ" and has no demonstrable effect on quality of life. I don't just own a sphynx, I worked as a vet tech for years treating them.

The only thing you should feel sad about with this breed is the high rate of HCM due to irresponsible breeding early on. That's a peril of any purebred, from hip dysplasia in german shepherds (who you can't argue are bred for any "hosed up" characteristics nor would be "unable to survive without humans") to the more obvious issues with brachycephalic breeds like pugs or the most extreme case of bulldogs that literally cannot give birth naturally because of their giant heads. It's not a problem of breeding being inherently evil but that humans loving suck and do it for the wrong reasons without knowing what they're doing.

Thankfully research I've actively raised awareness and funding for has made giant strides in identifying the genetic root of the disease in the sphynx gene pool (just announced earlier this year), and activism for more responsible breeding has greatly improved the genetic health of the population through regular testing and increased outcrossing and the like.

This was also not something that was actively bred for initially but a spontaneous mutation that has no inherent negative consequences for the animal's health; it is entirely cosmetic, aside from the side effect of irresponsible breeding introducing an unrelated heart issue to the gene pool. This makes it rather different from things like the various Folds, which result from another random mutation that was discovered then bred for....except in that case the cosmetic effect is secondary to a cartilage malformation that results in joint issues.

Sphynxes are natural insofar as it is a naturally occurring spontaneous mutation. The perpetuation of their breed is, of course, not natural and the result of human intervention. You can get into the ethics of patronizing breeders versus rescuing from shelters (we have many other rescues here that pop up on her insta feed from time to time and I donate regularly to them), but that's another argument.

Maybe do more than skim a wikipedia article, though, if you're trying to claim that my cat's very existence is inherently cruel because oh no she can't go outside unsupervised?! No cat should do that in the first place for its own safety and that of the native wildlife, but ok.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Cat update: is more aggressive than ever, is literally tearing up the carpet despite the entire apartment being covered in cat toys and scratching posts. I literally have to carry a can of compressed air on me at all times in case he attacks me, as the sound of it is the only thing that will stop him biting me. Also when attacks me he refuses to let go and will just munch on my hand as hard as he can, if I push him off he attacks my face in revenge. He was soo sweet at first and despite every piece of advice I've followed his behavior only continues to get worse. Guess cats just loving hate me and I shouldn't have one :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

Cat update: is more aggressive than ever, is literally tearing up the carpet despite the entire apartment being covered in cat toys and scratching posts. I literally have to carry a can of compressed air on me at all times in case he attacks me, as the sound of it is the only thing that will stop him biting me. Also when attacks me he refuses to let go and will just munch on my hand as hard as he can, if I push him off he attacks my face in revenge. He was soo sweet at first and despite every piece of advice I've followed his behavior only continues to get worse. Guess cats just loving hate me and I shouldn't have one :(

Have you taken it to the vet to make sure it’s not sick? Obviously something is wrong.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Have you taken it to the vet to make sure it’s not sick? Obviously something is wrong.

Yep. Vet reported that he's perfectly healthy and the sweetest kitty ever, which means I'm at fault somehow and have no idea what I'm doing wrong

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

Cat seems to be acting like it's scared and hyper defensive. Work at being calm and gentle. Do not return a bite with a swat, just passively pull you hand away. Work at building a gentle, trusting relationship with it. Don't treat it like an unruly child, treat it like a frightened animal. See how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necroid
May 14, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The only thing you should feel sad about with this breed is the high rate of HCM due to irresponsible breeding early on.

thanks but I guess I'll continue to feel bad for the hairless, whiskerless, can't walk into the sun, can't withstand the cold breed of cat that's being bred for these traits.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Sphynxes are natural insofar as it is a naturally occurring spontaneous mutation. The perpetuation of their breed is, of course, not natural and the result of human intervention. You can get into the ethics of patronizing breeders versus rescuing from shelters (we have many other rescues here that pop up on her insta feed from time to time and I donate regularly to them), but that's another argument.

welll no my argument is exactly that this breed is being bred for very selfish purposes, it's a mutation and a very extreme one. the ethics of patronizing breeders versus rescuing from shelters wouldn't have to be discussed if more sphynxes weren't being bred.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Maybe do more than skim a wikipedia article, though, if you're trying to claim that my cat's very existence is inherently cruel because oh no she can't go outside unsupervised?! No cat should do that in the first place for its own safety and that of the native wildlife, but ok.

I'll have to defer to you and your vet tech experience then. personally I think it's an extra layer of cruelty to add to the life of a predator confined in an apartment, but we'll just have to agree to disagree?