Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Huh. Thanks for explaining. I have minor criticisms about their methodology, but I guess they're making social media fodder, not science, so who cares. Except the guy with the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Prolonged Priapism posted:

That scene always struck me as something he came up with very early on, when he was learning about real world dune dynamics and stable slopes and such. It highlights the alien and dangerous nature of the desert, but the way they MacGyver out of it feels out of place.

I almost wonder if it was initially one crisis (losing/recovering the pack) but Frank felt he needed to introduce the bindu suspension Paul does later, so the scene gets repetitive and doubles in length because Paul has to dig out a suspended Jessica first.

The specific mechanics of the whole foam thing definitely felt sketchy, but I think it serves a good narrative purpose of taking Paul down a peg right after he basically unlocks a super power. It shows that he's still not infallible, especially when it comes to the hazards of desert life, and he has to solve some problems by cleverness and elbow grease rather than just relying on being a godlike super-Mentat.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The specific mechanics of the whole foam thing definitely felt sketchy, but I think it serves a good narrative purpose of taking Paul down a peg right after he basically unlocks a super power. It shows that he's still not infallible, especially when it comes to the hazards of desert life, and he has to solve some problems by cleverness and elbow grease rather than just relying on being a godlike super-Mentat.

That makes sense! And I guess there's some symbolism in destroying a compass of all things to survive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I wonder if that foreshadows stuff like nuking the shield wall; that ultimately Paul still has to be practical and use material methods to actually accomplish anything.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if that foreshadows stuff like nuking the shield wall; that ultimately Paul still has to be practical and use material methods to actually accomplish anything.
I always thought the nuking the shield wall was meant to signify Paul taking the step that is "too far" - and finally becoming the trigger for the jihad.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
What was up with the Futars in Chapterhouse. We know they are cat-men created by the scattered Tlilaxu to hunt the Honores Matres...isnt that uhh weird if the Honored Matres were a superpower in their old areas? And why would they then sell some to the Honored Matres when they moved into the Old Empire? Was it basically just a scam, buy a pet that dies 3 days later, or was it a bigger thing?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The “macgyvering” segment might be to tie into the Pain Box/Gom Jabbar. Instead of giving in to pain and fear in a desperate situation, they maintain their faculties. Such is also how Jessica transforms the water of life, and so on.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Gaj posted:

What was up with the Futars in Chapterhouse. We know they are cat-men created by the scattered Tlilaxu to hunt the Honores Matres...isnt that uhh weird if the Honored Matres were a superpower in their old areas? And why would they then sell some to the Honored Matres when they moved into the Old Empire? Was it basically just a scam, buy a pet that dies 3 days later, or was it a bigger thing?

We don't know because the last book ended with a vague metaphor physically attacking a literal spaceship and then Brian killed Frank at his typewriter just like Commodus but don't ask him for poo poo because he'll just dial K and they'll write a goddamned loving book about it and the movie will star some Disney idiot.

IMO Futars were just the next level of BT degenera fan service.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Gaj posted:

I think the point is that the honored matres are a superpower that actually took the reigns with the liberal application of space pussy magic. There's some dialogue about the bene gesserit knowing it eventually presents diminishing returns and leads to a population subjugated with it developing a resistance to it and possibly revolting. It's also a big plot thread in the series that the bg avoid ruling directly because they're aware of the transience of it.

The result we end up seeing is killer cat people developed as a counter to space pussy magic, which is just further proof of my theory that dune is incredibly, shamelessly anime as gently caress.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Odeade: He's above 9,000 lifetimes!

Miles: ooooooooooooo

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Bubblyblubber posted:

I think the point is that the honored matres are a superpower that actually took the reigns with the liberal application of space pussy magic. There's some dialogue about the bene gesserit knowing it eventually presents diminishing returns and leads to a population subjugated with it developing a resistance to it and possibly revolting. It's also a big plot thread in the series that the bg avoid ruling directly because they're aware of the transience of it.

The result we end up seeing is killer cat people developed as a counter to space pussy magic, which is just further proof of my theory that dune is incredibly, shamelessly anime as gently caress.

Honor Matres are Space Pussy Magic
the Killer Cat people are Space Pussy Warriors

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Im the legendary Super Sandworm

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Im the legendary Super Sandworm

Oh hi Brian I didn't know you posted here, in the no Duneauthor Zone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
og Broly is basically the lord cybertrex of DBZ

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In the Fremen language, it's over 8000 lives.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Man did you guys see the Mandalorian with his Maker Hooks yesterday

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

kiimo posted:

I like how this big bad sand worm thing is still like babby tier compared to shai hulud in the deep desert. I had to constantly remind my young son that this thing ate a humanoid whole like it was nothing and it’s a big deal

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

kiimo posted:

It was more like a bigger version of those things from Tremors, and they wound up killing it kinda similarly too :haw:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it was definitely supposed to be a krayt dragon, right? it had pearls and sounded like the noise obi-wan made and everything

i only watched a few scenes over someone else's shoulder, excuse me if they outright say it at some point

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

it was definitely supposed to be a krayt dragon, right? it had pearls and sounded like the noise obi-wan made and everything

i only watched a few scenes over someone else's shoulder, excuse me if they outright say it at some point

It was, and they do

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

phasmid posted:

Let's cut out a bunch of legwork and make a list of what didn't turn Frank on.
0. gay dudes
1. Neofeudalism
2. Iron Maiden
3. Muppets

fixed for you

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

phasmid posted:

Let's cut out a bunch of legwork and make a list of what didn't turn Frank on.

1. Neofeudalism
2. Iron Maiden
3. Muppets

Phwoar! He is the kwizatz haderach!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just remembered that the two biggest Dune podcasts both accept the prequels and one even used them to say Frank Herbert got something wrong in his books.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Jihad on the dissident podcasts.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Look everyone is free to believe what they want and stuff, but i am absolutely saying you should be in prison and possibly destroyed if you consider Brian/KJA work canon

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Riot Bimbo posted:

Look everyone is free to believe what they want and stuff, but i am absolutely saying you should be in prison and possibly destroyed if you consider Brian/KJA work canon

Tough, but fair.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Riot Bimbo posted:

Look everyone is free to believe what they want and stuff, but i am absolutely saying you should be on salusa secundus and possibly destroyed if you consider Brian/KJA work canon

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Twenty years in and we bone like we're cheating on each other WITH each other. Two decades-plus and the bh/kja-dune canon still pOwns my dick.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Twenty years in and we bone like we're cheating on each other WITH each other. Two decades-plus and the bh/kja-dune canon still pOwns my dick.

Is that first sentence a direct quote?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

busalover posted:

Is that first sentence a direct quote?

https://twitter.com/thatkevinsmith/status/2554608773?lang=en

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
God drat it is there no thread where you can’t escape that accursed tweet

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ew. that's gross.
in that he is saying that in a public forum. good that they still have that magic for each other, but drat there are better ways to say that

Do you think anyone in the Dune universe ever ordered a Ghoula of themselves?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ew. that's gross.
in that he is saying that in a public forum. good that they still have that magic for each other, but drat there are better ways to say that

Do you think anyone in the Dune universe ever ordered a Ghoula of themselves?
Um ghoula are derived from dead bodies so only a ghoula can order themselves a ghoula

but yeah you don't put up with being padisham emperor for the conventional concubines any ol' duke or baron could procure for themselves

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
rereading God Emperor and just got to the bit where Leto gets horny for Hwi and he's like wtf dude, what is going on, I don't even have a dick anymore. good stuff.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Incel of Dune

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Leto was volcel

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I like the part where he starts crunching the numbers on turning back into a human and making Hwi gholas until then. Love that dork

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
gross protuberance

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Ingmar terdman posted:

I like the part where he starts crunching the numbers on turning back into a human and making Hwi gholas until then. Love that dork
I felt like that was some necessary humanization for him. So much of the book is Leto going "I AM THE APEX PREDATOR" and sighing as people ask reasonable questions that are actually totally stupid and short-sighted if you're a prescient worm-man that him finally having a crisis of confidence and wondering if he could reverse his transformation, dooming the Golden Path for his own selfish reasons, was kind of refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The cart is so dumb.