Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Oh hey Dan picked up an epic shotgun! I'm sure he'll put it on Godmother and make good use of that.

lol no Dan slams through two missions without so much as looking at his loadouts

So since we got another 4 episodes recorded before he'll see these comments, odds are that he goes another four without realizing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No bookie would take bets on that :v:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

Torque was right, humans are the real aliens

Wait until he finds out that if Torque is binding the last enemy on a map, she snaps their loving neck for the sake of expediency.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Y'all are a bunch of cops :mad:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 18 - One Continuous Mom

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wait until he finds out that if Torque is binding the last enemy on a map, she snaps their loving neck for the sake of expediency.

It's great that when they were doing the character concepts for this they were like okay we'll have friendly shield guy, big punchy guy, robot nerd, comedy medic, murderous literal monster who can leap out of vents like an actual loving nightmare and suffocate you to death, cheerful demolition guy,

Danaru posted:

Y'all are a bunch of cops :mad:

Uh actually we're Reclamation, it's a separate organization with

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 1, 2020

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm a bit disappointed that you passed up on Claymore, but I can understand the appeal of wanting rad snake lady. That said, Claymore does have some of my favorite squad banter moments, specifically with Axiom and Verge.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that you passed up on Claymore, but I can understand the appeal of wanting rad snake lady. That said, Claymore does have some of my favorite squad banter moments, specifically with Axiom and Verge.

I'm not sure that Danaru would still have a liver by the end of the LP if Claymore was on the team.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Agreed. Claymore is cool, but the guy whose theme is "grenades for everybody" isn't exactly conducive to bringing in bad guys alive.

Crane Fist posted:

It's great that when they were doing the character concepts for this they were like okay we'll have friendly shield guy, big punchy guy, robot nerd, comedy medic, murderous literal monster who can leap out of vents like an actual loving nightmare and suffocate you to death, cheerful demolition guy,
Yeah, Torque's back story is honestly dark as hell. Unrepentant enemy combatant who probably did at least one serious war crime, got paperclipped into XCOM's post war tactical development unit, and now transferred into their Gendarmerie and let back out on the street to poison and strangle citizens who haven't been charged with any crime. That's a little too Cold War realpolitik for an organization who are supposed to be the good guys.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 1, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

got paperclipped into XCOM's post war tactical development unit,

This is actually the perfect way of putting it and I absolutely love the idea of XCOM doing Operation Gladio during the reconstruction, that's incredibly dark

Can't wait for Italy to launch into the Years of Plasma

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Chuu posted:

I'm not sure that Danaru would still have a liver by the end of the LP if Claymore was on the team.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Agreed. Claymore is cool, but the guy whose theme is "grenades for everybody" isn't exactly conducive to bringing in bad guys alive.

There's plenty of nonlethal grenades for Claymore to play around with. Flashbangs, Cease Fire Grenades, Smoke Grenades, Bubble Grenades, Kinetic Screens, plus other assorted goodies that haven't been seen yet. :colbert:

But seriously, I understand the myriad number of reasons why taking Claymore along would be a bad idea. And Torque is just as fun, albeit in a different way.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

This is actually the perfect way of putting it and I absolutely love the idea of XCOM doing Operation Gladio during the reconstruction, that's incredibly dark

"Remember that extremely questionable poo poo most governments have at least dabbled in at some point IRL? Welp, XCOM did it too after they won the war. Cherub loves nachos!"

I mean, resistance XCOM itself was a deniable, unaccountable direct action network, whose methods could often be described as "terroristic", being funneled guns and money by a senior administration spokesman, and descended from an organization whose underground lair literally contained a chamber for torturing and dissecting captives. So old habits die hard, I guess?

Some reporter looking into why a Senior Agent of the Reclamation Agency bears a striking resemblance to the snake lady who ran New Arctic Human Liquidation Black Site #7 is going to be found crushed to death in a steamer trunk, and Godmother is going to No Comment when City 31 PD files it as a "death by misadventure."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 1, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see the XCOM version of the truth and reconciliation commission. Imagine the questions that would be asked. Does it count as a war crime if you were mind controlled at the time? Is "I thought he was a faceless" valid grounds for a self-defense plea? Did you let the Lost overrun major cities because you, quote, "hate those missions"? Imagine getting called in front of a panel of snakes and asked did you kill their king, follow up question, are you wearing his skin right now?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The alien rulers were abominations who were created by a rogue element of XCOM who has been disavowed, and they were put down for everyone's safety :colbert:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

I want to see the XCOM version of the truth and reconciliation commission. Imagine the questions that would be asked. Does it count as a war crime if you were mind controlled at the time? Is "I thought he was a faceless" valid grounds for a self-defense plea? Did you let the Lost overrun major cities because you, quote, "hate those missions"? Imagine getting called in front of a panel of snakes and asked did you kill their king, follow up question, are you wearing his skin right now?
The radio broadcasts do make reference to a "Global Truth and Reconciliation Commission", but their biggest achievement seems to be getting Advent Burger to change their name and start labeling the mind-altering chemicals they put in their food.

I think the humans and aliens could probably agree to forget about the "I was fighting mind-controlled gene slaves of the Elders/I was a mind-controlled gene slave of the Elders" stuff. The more awkward questions are going to be about, for example, whatever happened to all those human Advent VIPs who were snatched out of city centers, brought to the Avenger, and then never heard from or spoken of again?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dead Reckoning posted:

whatever happened to all those human Advent VIPs who were snatched out of city centers, brought to the Avenger, and then never heard from or spoken of again?

Depends on how easily they talked, either we dumped them naked in the woods a kilometer from the closest city, or we swept whatever's left off the Avenger while flying over the ocean.

This is off the record, right?

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Dead Reckoning posted:

The more awkward questions are going to be about, for example, whatever happened to all those human Advent VIPs who were snatched out of city centers, brought to the Avenger, and then never heard from or spoken of again?

The inside man informing on Avent Burger arranged for them to be released into the waiting stomachs arms of the people they were snatched from.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Crane Fist posted:

Better that than whatever the XCOM equivalent of the Dutroux Affair is.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Danaru posted:

Depends on how easily they talked, either we dumped them naked in the woods a kilometer from the closest city, or we swept whatever's left off the Avenger while flying over the ocean.

This is off the record, right?
Of course, Commander Kelly. Now, tell me about this room decorated with severed heads...

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 2, 2020

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

White Coke posted:

This is an oddly specific old reference. :confused:

Something being better for rebuilding a society compared to a convicted murderer and serial child rapist is a pretty low bar to clear.
Conducting an almost 8 year long clusterfuck of an investigation rife with mistakes and rumors of a cover up didn't help society either.

On the other hand, leaving behind agents to influence and badger a country into doing what you want, rather than respecting the people's choice, and actively attempting to destabilize the country with terror bombings is just as lovely, but in a different way.

Assuming all the aliens have the same life expectancy as humans, I'd guess it would take at least 50 years before "who did which war crimes during the war" would cease to be a really influential issue in politics and everyday life.

kw0134 posted:

The alien rulers were abominations who were created by a rogue element of XCOM who has been disavowed, and they were put down for everyone's safety :colbert:
It's just not the same without Dr. Vahlen. :negative: They killed off XCOM's best scientist and replaced her with :burger:Tygan.:burger: :argh:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Someone asked to see Vahlen's diploma and she threw down a smoke bomb and vanished

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I mean, let's be honest, an episode of the xcom 2 LP was literally titled "A Mild War Crime"

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Pea posted:

This is an oddly specific old reference. :confused:

Something being better for rebuilding a society compared to a convicted murderer and serial child rapist is a pretty low bar to clear.
Conducting an almost 8 year long clusterfuck of an investigation rife with mistakes and rumors of a cover up didn't help society either.

The Dutroux Affair isn't just what Dutroux himself did but all the suspicious circumstances around him, like the dozens of dead witnesses or him owning ten houses while being on welfare, that all look like there's a cover up going on to protect powerful people.

Pea posted:

On the other hand, leaving behind agents to influence and badger a country into doing what you want, rather than respecting the people's choice, and actively attempting to destabilize the country with terror bombings is just as lovely, but in a different way.

Assuming all the aliens have the same life expectancy as humans, I'd guess it would take at least 50 years before "who did which war crimes during the war" would cease to be a really influential issue in politics and everyday life.

Gladio wasn't just right-wing terrorism but had ties to organized crime, drug and human tracking among others, which they either partake of directly or allow to happen.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

White Coke posted:

It doesn't have to be all bad, imagine XCOM using a physics glitch to recreate Spain's first astronaut on some Advent goon

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
this ain't X2 anymore, and it didn't make sense to raise the Dan Metal Gear LP thread from the dead for it, but drat, look at this nonsense

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

White Coke posted:

The Dutroux Affair isn't just what Dutroux himself did but all the suspicious circumstances around him, like the dozens of dead witnesses or him owning ten houses while being on welfare, that all look like there's a cover up going on to protect powerful people.
It simply surprised me to see it mentioned on a US-based forum in an LP thread about XCOM. Let alone 24 years after his arrest and 16 years after he was finally convicted. :psyduck:

Crane Fist posted:

It doesn't have to be all bad, imagine XCOM using a physics glitch to recreate Spain's first astronaut on some Advent goon
With all the aim left, shoot right :xcom: moments in the games, XCOM basically wrote the book on military glitching.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Remember that extremely questionable poo poo most governments have at least dabbled in at some point IRL? Welp, XCOM did it too after they won the war. Cherub loves nachos!"

I mean, resistance XCOM itself was a deniable, unaccountable direct action network, whose methods could often be described as "terroristic", being funneled guns and money by a senior administration spokesman, and descended from an organization whose underground lair literally contained a chamber for torturing and dissecting captives. So old habits die hard, I guess?

Some reporter looking into why a Senior Agent of the Reclamation Agency bears a striking resemblance to the snake lady who ran New Arctic Human Liquidation Black Site #7 is going to be found crushed to death in a steamer trunk snake lady themed strip club, and Godmother is going to No Comment when City 31 PD files it as a "death by misadventure."

people are not going to ask for comment when you get to David Carradine levels of misadventure

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Pea posted:

It simply surprised me to see it mentioned on a US-based forum in an LP thread about XCOM. Let alone 24 years after his arrest and 16 years after he was finally convicted. :psyduck:

Seeing Operation Gladio mentioned jogged my memory. I learned about him when he was described as being kind of like Europe's Epstein.

starbucks hermit posted:

people are not going to ask for comment when you get to David Carradine levels of misadventure

A lot of ex-ADVENT officials kneeled forcefully after the war.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

starbucks hermit posted:

snake lady themed strip club
Naming snake strip clubs must be a pain in the rear end.
"Hey, we goin' to the Viper Pit for Shelter's bachelor party?"
"The snake youth hostel? Why the heck would we go there?"
"I thought Viper Pit was the strip club?"
"That's Adders' Den, bro."
"No, Adders' Den is the snake food restaurant on Broadway."
"Cobra Club? Where did we buy Torque a no-lap dance last month then?"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The snake food place is just the local pet shop.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

evilmiera posted:

The snake food place is just the local pet shop.
You gotta have multiple revenue streams when your primary customer demographic only eats once a week.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play XCOM Chimera Squad Episode 19 - Tiny Babbor Muton

I will never remember that Torque uses SMGs, for some reason my brain wont let go of thinking she uses rifles

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
I guess I'll have to be the smart rear end then. Vipers are immune to poison. The medkits special abilities is to prevent the holder from being poisoned.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah we figured that out after the session, so expect me to continue getting confused about it for a while.

It's actually really clever game design since poison is one of the only persistent damage effects you cant just hunker down to get out of, and if you're equipping medkits on people it likely means Terminal's off the case, so you dont have the situation of having to use your only medkit to depoison yourself :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Protip: when it comes to breach points that have "The first/last unit through this point is rooted/has their weapon disabled" effects on them, use Zephyr in that spot. She has built-in immunity to being rooted, and since she punches/kicks people in the face, her weapon can't be disabled either. :eng101:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Protip: when it comes to breach points that have "The first/last unit through this point is rooted/has their weapon disabled" effects on them, use Zephyr in that spot. She has built-in immunity to being rooted, and since she punches/kicks people in the face, her weapon can't be disabled either. :eng101:
It's... situational. Sending Zephyr through last greatly increases the chance that, unless you cover rush, you'll have to burn teamwork or other initiative powers to move her up the timeline before she gets shot to pieces.

E: Also glad to see Dan is a very smart and good dude who immediately recognized that you should

Dead Reckoning posted:

Always buy Impetuous Spire the instant you see it.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 8, 2020

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Not an issue if she's the only one through the "gets rooted" door, though :yayclod:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

W.T. Fits posted:

Wait, she can't be rooted? I never figured that out

I generally send Verge through those because if you're having him move around or shoot you're using him wrong

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

Wait, she can't be rooted? I never figured that out
It's in the tool tip on one of her abilities, easy to miss. Like Dan, I figured it out after she got hit with rooting and shrugged it off.

Also, yes, if Torque is binding the last enemy on a map, she snaps their loving neck for the sake of expediency. Fun fact, Vipers would do this in XCOM2 as well! :eng101:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm just happy you've found a decent beer, the sheer amount of beverage masochism up til now was worrying me a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's in the tool tip on one of her abilities, easy to miss. Like Dan, I figured it out after she got hit with rooting and shrugged it off.

That's almost too good

I just started up a new run and I'm forcing myself not to take Zephyr just so I have to use the other agents on their own merits instead of just going "okay who will assist her in punching better"