Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm looking for a game recommend if anyone can help me (doesn't have to be on Steam specifically, just something PC), something where you just explore an either randomly generated world, or at least a massive landscape. Preferably something chill and relaxing.

I like games like Among Trees, Astroneer, and The Long Dark, but those are too focused on building up a little camp and staying put. I'm looking for something more akin to just walking across the world in Minecraft and looking at landscapes while maybe snatching up supplies.

Edit: first/third person would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

theHunter Call of the Wild has enormous and pretty maps to explore.
VRChat has a lot of small but completely "random" worlds you can explore, on your own if you want, and it's weirdly interesting. It has a sense of discovery I hadn't felt in many years. No VR actually required either.
Miasmata has exploration, collecting supplies and a very cool map system where you have to manually figure out your position based on landmarks but I wouldn't necessarily call it chill. It's more survival horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

StrixNebulosa posted:

May I ask why?

The developers lied to everyone about what would be in the game, then released something completely broken and near unplayable.

Edit: and four years later they're still charging full price.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, I feel like NMS is kinda what I want, but I refuse to give them my money.

Those guys hosed up their launch (no question there) and then they could have just left the game to die quickly and retire early on the money they got. Instead, they invested it fixing and improving that game over the last four or five years because of the people burned on buying it at launch, and it's got to a point that even the most skeptical people now recommend it. In the era we're living? That's commendable.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Oh and there's also Morels: The Hunt but I haven't played that one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

there are 3 free campaigns: red war is the original game’s campaign, curse of Osiris and warmind are campaigns for expansions that they made free for everyone. if downloading the game for just a week to play those isn’t a burden then go ahead.

because bungo doesn’t know how to introduce people to the game now, you need to go out of your way to start the campaigns. After you make your space wizard and go through an intro mission, the game will take you to the tower hub and will probably give you a billion pop ups about SEASONS and TRIALS and FESTIVAL OF THE LOST and PREORDER THE BEYOND LIGHT EXPANSION and NEXT WEEK IN DESTINY. ignore all that poo poo and go to the hangar on the right side of the map. Talk the blonde woman called Amanda holliday where you can “buy” the 3 campaigns. from there you should be good to just focus the red war campaign quests.

I’m not sure what the new player experience will look like after next tuesday, apparently it will be new stuff (just set in a locale from destiny 1) and several hours long. hopefully it does a better job of getting people acclimated than the game currently does.

red war is a blast, and used to be an immensely smooth mass effect 2 style shooting story, like top tier (I played it after it was all patched up but before they did ^^^)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Saoshyant posted:

it's got to a point that even the most skeptical people now recommend it.
Uh, not that I do not really respect the commitment the NMS dev team has to making that game into what they promised it would be, but, well...

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Det_no posted:

Miasmata has exploration, collecting supplies and a very cool map system where you have to manually figure out your position based on landmarks but I wouldn't necessarily call it chill. It's more survival horror.

Oh dang, that game looks like someone remade Myst from memory using the Morrowind engine and I love it. Not what I was looking for, but I'm definitely intrigued by it, thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Uh, not that I do not really respect the commitment the NMS dev team has to making that game into what they promised it would be, but, well...

Many people who do not post milquetoast middle of the road non-opinions on literally every game often recommend it including people who initially also believed it was a scam.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Miasmata actually teaches you the real-world method for how to triangulate your own position from landmarks by using a ruler and a compass, it's pretty cool.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm not a No Man's Sky fan but generally if someone fucks up and then puts the work in to fix it you don't keep yelling gently caress you at them. You don't gotta buy the game either but just, like, move on lol.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

The developers lied to everyone about what would be in the game, then released something completely broken and near unplayable.

So what you’re saying is you didn’t buy it at launch, the current game tracks to what they promised, but you don’t want to give them money now for... not delivering a product that you didn’t buy?

I mean, do you - but you are missing out. NMS has a few remaining warts (procgen everything means nothing really special), but it’s beautiful, has a good gameplay loop, and has some really novel concepts. If the price is a bridge too far, then grab it on sale.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Those guys hosed up their launch (no question there) and then they could have just left the game to die quickly and retire early on the money they got. Instead, they invested it fixing and improving that game over the last four or five years because of the people burned on buying it at launch, and it's got to a point that even the most skeptical people now recommend it. In the era we're living? That's commendable.

I mean, that just shows how trash the games industry is that NMS is lauded as great because the developers didnt abandon the broken game they publicly lied about and charged people $70 for despite being a hollow shell. Like if it was $10, hell yeah thats cool and good. But at that price point? Nah, they've still not earned my forgiveness.

Cardiovorax posted:

Miasmata actually teaches you the real-world method for how to triangulate your own position from landmarks by using a ruler and a compass, it's pretty cool.

I'm very sold on this, since I love trying to figure out my position on a map when I'm playing ARMA.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I'm looking for a game recommend if anyone can help me (doesn't have to be on Steam specifically, just something PC), something where you just explore an either randomly generated world, or at least a massive landscape. Preferably something chill and relaxing.

I like games like Among Trees, Astroneer, and The Long Dark, but those are too focused on building up a little camp and staying put. I'm looking for something more akin to just walking across the world in Minecraft and looking at landscapes while maybe snatching up supplies.

Edit: first/third person would be ideal, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1156590/Morels_The_Hunt/

hunt some mushrooms, take pictures of animals. half off right now 10$.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Monowhatever posted:

Oh yay! I'm definitely down for hunting mushrooms in a game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Project Winter is apparently $6.66 for the bundle (hail Satan) and I hear it's a better Among Us but with a smaller community because streamers didn't pick up on it. Has anyone tried this yet?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

there are 3 free campaigns: red war is the original game’s campaign, curse of Osiris and warmind are campaigns for expansions that they made free for everyone. if downloading the game for just a week to play those isn’t a burden then go ahead.

because bungo doesn’t know how to introduce people to the game now, you need to go out of your way to start the campaigns. After you make your space wizard and go through an intro mission, the game will take you to the tower hub and will probably give you a billion pop ups about SEASONS and TRIALS and FESTIVAL OF THE LOST and PREORDER THE BEYOND LIGHT EXPANSION and NEXT WEEK IN DESTINY. ignore all that poo poo and go to the hangar on the right side of the map. Talk the blonde woman called Amanda holliday where you can “buy” the 3 campaigns. from there you should be good to just focus the red war campaign quests.

I’m not sure what the new player experience will look like after next tuesday, apparently it will be new stuff (just set in a locale from destiny 1) and several hours long. hopefully it does a better job of getting people acclimated than the game currently does.

It should also be said that you can absolutely do the three campaigns without any sort of engagement with the larger game--they're not hard at all and you'll be fine with whatever guns drop while you're doing them. They're high quality sci-fi shooty spectacles, with Red War as the original campaign obviously being a bit higher quality. And they are indeed short: Red War is 10ish missions that are between 20-45 minutes a piece, probably.

But yeah, the new player experience is a huge mess. Just go to the hangar and only do stuff related to the campaign you're in.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

We have an actual Destiny thread for this kinda chat but my 2c as a guy who plays Destiny 2 Too Much and also still likes it is if you really care about the campaigns they're doable this week but imo they're not worth it to play. They're schlocky and samey a lot of the time, with the one truly good campaign locked behind DLC. Destiny 2 thrives as a more barebones freeform looter shooter, so if you go into it expecting Halo you'll get a couple hours of enjoyment from how smooth the gameplay is but probably come away disappointed.

That said, if you are interested in just checking D2 out in general, please join us.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Monowhatever posted:

While this actually looks like an ok game...

It just irks me that so many companies use the same style and color scheme for their banners on steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/748300/Treasure_Hunter_Simulator/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/518790/theHunter_Call_of_the_Wild/

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Yeah, I feel like NMS is kinda what I want, but I refuse to give them my money.

Just buy a physical disc secondhand (or a key from a non sketchy reseller) if you don’t want to support the devs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No Man's Sky is on PC Game Pass so you can pretend you didn't give the devs any money just to play their game.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Eastshade? It's like a bob ross rpg.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/715560/Eastshade/

quote:

You are a traveling painter, exploring the island of Eastshade. Capture the world on canvas using your artist’s easel. Talk to the inhabitants to learn about their lives. Make friends and help those in need. Visit cities, scale summits, unearth mysteries, and discover forgotten places!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Psycho Landlord posted:

We have an actual Destiny thread for this kinda chat but my 2c as a guy who plays Destiny 2 Too Much and also still likes it is if you really care about the campaigns they're doable this week but imo they're not worth it to play. They're schlocky and samey a lot of the time, with the one truly good campaign locked behind DLC. Destiny 2 thrives as a more barebones freeform looter shooter, so if you go into it expecting Halo you'll get a couple hours of enjoyment from how smooth the gameplay is but probably come away disappointed.

That said, if you are interested in just checking D2 out in general, please join us.

I mean I'm coming off of a bit of a Halo high, so that's why I'm interested in the campaigns. How does it compare? As for the eternal grind part of it, I'd *probably* sooner jump back into Warframe unless I get really hooked on the general gameplay loop of D2.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hey I just saw that Steam has a city-builder sale going on. Im gonna pick up City Skylines and Northgard, but are there any other titles people recommend? Was going to pick up Anno 2205 (not sure if thats the year, the ultra futuristic one) but I saw it had mixed reviews.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

I mean I'm coming off of a bit of a Halo high, so that's why I'm interested in the campaigns. How does it compare? As for the eternal grind part of it, I'd *probably* sooner jump back into Warframe unless I get really hooked on the general gameplay loop of D2.

It doesn't have the variance of a Halo campaign. Outside of some skyboxes in the Red War and Forsaken campaigns there are no big Bungie War Scenes, no friendly AI whatsoever (a later DLC campaign has some rudimentary turrets disguised as friendlies) and most missions are linear romps through admittedly very cool environments and vistas that you'll later visit for free roam stuff if you stuck around. There's one type of combat vehicle and it's a floatier scorpion tank with a secondary weapon. They just don't stack up, especially if you just came off Reach.

If I had to compare the D2 campaigns to a Halo it'd be ODST, but sans a lot of the polish, a huge amount of the mood and presentation, and with like a tenth of the writing quality (in dialogue I mean, Destiny 2's background writing is legit). It's just you solo in arenas for the most part, with a few rare standouts here an there that just aren't worth recommending an install of the whole game over. Not without engaging with the rest of it anyway.

EDIT: Like I mentioned above though, D2 *feels* loving great. Best shooter gameplay on the market in my opinion. And as a guy who also played too much Warframe, Destiny 2 grabbed me in a way it didn't because of that feel. So if you think you might stick around after this week then please, join us, because I do think this game is legitimately good. I just have a hard time recommending an install solely for some mediocre campaigns that have been furthered neutered in recent patches and trying to rush through them in a matter of days is all.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 3, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

papasyhotcakes posted:

Hey I just saw that Steam has a city-builder sale going on. Im gonna pick up City Skylines and Northgard, but are there any other titles people recommend? Was going to pick up Anno 2205 (not sure if thats the year, the ultra futuristic one) but I saw it had mixed reviews.

check the management games megathread

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

You have strange ideas about how video game prices work. Also it goes on sale for 50% off all the time.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

papasyhotcakes posted:

Banished is pretty great, but lacks a solid endgame. At that price its a good grab, and I'm sure theres great mods for it by now.

John Murdoch posted:

You have strange ideas about how video game prices work. Also it goes on sale for 50% off all the time.

Usually games get cheaper as they age.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I thought d2's red war was excellent, it's not ground breaking but is just good kinetic fun that doesn't outstay its welcome.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The person isn't going suddenly buy and enjoy No Man's Sky because some people tried to shame them into giving it a chance you weirdos. It's cool that they didn't abandon the game but it's also boring as all hell and is absolutely NOT universally recommended. We've already been over this a couple weeks ago.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Impermanent posted:

check the management games megathread

Wow lots of good stuff there, thanks!

Banished is pretty great, but lacks a solid endgame. At that price its a good grab, and I'm sure theres great mods for it by now.

I had forgotten about that game! Had it on my wishlist and everything, will try it out now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Usually games get cheaper as they age.
An increasingly rare number of them do.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

John Murdoch posted:

No, I think the price dropping with age is a pretty standard assumption, mostly due to the old need of clearing stock. It's something we see less of nowadays due to digital storefronts, but the logic still follows that older games should be cheaper to reflect the decreased interest.

Discounts, however, are more effective at driving sales than flat price reductions due to the psychological impact. That's why you see more games temporarily go up in price before a sale, rather than down, so they can report a higher discount percentage! :suicide:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

papasyhotcakes posted:

It's not strictly a city builder in the same vein as a City Skylines but since you mentioned Northgard I'm gonna throw a recommendation for Frostpunk, its more of a settlement management than a city per say but it gives you some real awkward moral choices to make, been enjoying it so far.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OgNar posted:

While this actually looks like an ok game...

It just irks me that so many companies use the same style and color scheme for their banners on steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/748300/Treasure_Hunter_Simulator/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/518790/theHunter_Call_of_the_Wild/

I thought that logo style looked familiar.

White and orange text on trees has turned into blue and orange movie posters, but for outdoorsy games.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

KakerMix posted:

The person isn't going suddenly buy and enjoy No Man's Sky because some people tried to shame them into giving it a chance you weirdos. It's cool that they didn't abandon the game but it's also boring as all hell and is absolutely NOT universally recommended. We've already been over this a couple weeks ago.

Is it boring as hell in the sense it's basically Animal Crossing for spaceboys?

I've never heard the phrase "combat" "story" or "challenge" associated with NMS.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pentyne posted:

Is it boring as hell in the sense it's basically Animal Crossing for spaceboys?

I've never heard the phrase "combat" "story" or "challenge" associated with NMS.
It has (simplistic) space combat and a (simplistic) story now, but I don't think anyone would say that they're really the draw of the game even if they like it overall.

The boredom for me really comes from how it has a ton of different systems now (and I do appreciate that they keep working on the game) but none of them really synergize well and individually each one is fairly shallow.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The story in NMS and the world behind it is probably my favourite in the last decade.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

The story in NMS and the world behind it is probably my favourite in the last decade.

This really needs context but having played Outer Wilds I almost got genuinely angry for a second that anyone would say that about another space exploration game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

but the logic still follows that older games should be cheaper to reflect the decreased interest.

Except NMS is still relatively popular, has active multiplayer stuff, and is still being updated. There is no "decreased interest" to price against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Except NMS is still relatively popular, has active multiplayer stuff, and is still being updated. There is no "decreased interest" to price against.

quote:

Play with all major updates since launch: Foundation, Pathfinder, Atlas Rises, NEXT, The Abyss, Visions, the 2.0 BEYOND update, Synthesis, Living Ship, Exo Mech, Desolation and the latest 3.0 update, ORIGINS.

Holding a grudge against the game/company for the really bad launch is pretty dumb but complaining about the current state of the game cost that for all purposes seems like its been regularly updated and expanded (for free no less) for the last 4 years is insane. Their latest update went up 10/28 and they're in the process of adding a major improvement to the graphics so it'll look better on next gen systems and the new line of graphics cards.

It's almost like it's a pay once and access everything MMO, and given how lovely freemium MMOs operate that's a pretty good deal.