Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
"There's always endogamy" should be the name of the thread.

Edit: Ack, new page. In that case, I'll ask if anyone's gone through the accreditation process.

Brennanite fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Does anyone have a suggestion for making maps of where your ancestors were from? I could just use google maps but there's probably something better.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Trillian posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for making maps of where your ancestors were from? I could just use google maps but there's probably something better.

Doing google maps and pinning the locations can help especially in places where names and borders have changed over the years (oh hi Germany! Er wait no France. No Germany...) or where they interchangeably use baptismal place vs dwelling place or baptismal place can change from kid to kid (Canada in the voyageur era, Ireland).

There are also historical maps online you can find that are fun, especially of pre WWII Europe where you can pinpoint the actual house of your ancestor (before the Allies/Russians/Axis blew the entire neighborhood to hell). Just search for ‘historical maps of X’ or ‘map of X town 1897’ or what have you. Those can be helpful to see say, how close your relatives lived to each other or to make sure you have the right Magdeburg or whatever. Meyer’s Gazette or similar books will also have maps at times.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I did these by using a paint program with layers. Just add the text on a new layer, shift it where you want it and then draw the boxes and arrows on a third layer underneath the text but above the map.

The old map is an insurance survey, most cities conducted them from the 19th century on and older ones are sometimes available in open achives, early cadastral (boundary) surveys are sometimes useful and available too.

Jaguars! posted:

I was clearing a bunch of papers left over from last year's project and finished off some stuff I meant to make::

(Open in a new window and delete the H near the end of the URLs for full size)

Rygate & Fletcher's survey, 1888.

Modern Sydney with all the places. The red lines are former roads that were destroyed during a slum clearance in the 1920s.

Shows how great the City of Sydney Archives is, they have fantastic map coverage of the old city. Rygate & Fletcher's survey assessed buildings on the south central side of the city for insurance purposes, following on from other surveys in previous decades.

The addresses were mostly found from Sand's Postal directory, also from the archives.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Hey, in the pre-computer but post-church era, say, 1940s-1950s America, did the county clerks or whoever issued marriage licenses have any way of checking that one of the applicants wasn't already married? I've been beating my head against a brick wall trying to locate the divorce record for my grandfather's parents, but what if there wasn't one? What if they just split up and married other people without legally divorcing? They lied about a LOT of stuff, so it's not like they were known for their honesty or high moral character.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Norway chat time.

My mother has been working with a genealogist from the Ringerike Lag specializing in the area of Buskerud that line comes from. He has compiled a chart that suggests that she is the 17G-g-dtr of Toralde Gunnarsen Hvit & Thoron Haakonsdatter. Apparently a novel has been written about Thoron. From her latest message, "Little is known about her except that she was born in 1225 and is probably the daughter of Kanga Unge who was a mistress of King Hakon Hakonsson. That is a theory, but the king does give Theron the manor Berg in Elvdal, and indicates that she had a very close connection to the Norwegian royal house. "

I always get really nervous when she starts heading into these sorts of directions, so I'm wondering how reliable might this fellow be? On the one hand they apparently have some knowledge of genealogy in this area (I've seen some correspondence between them that suggests he does look for multiple lines of evidence before making line connections) but on the other, who loving knows. She's awfully credulous and I'd hate for her to be taken advantage of.

For Norwegian readers: how bad is this book likely to be?

e: looking at the tree he did, he links her via three different lineages. It looks like pretty detailed work at first blush (not seeing any of the primary substantiating evidence)

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 9, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

En Ulsteinætt ("An Ulstein Lineage") is a genealogical book & the other book is as you say a novel. Simeon M. Ekornes has written a number of genealogical books and published some articles in respectable periodicals, so he's probably generally trustworthy. Do note however that he was by profession a bank manager.
https://www.nb.no/search?q=simeon%20ekornes (National Library search)

The three medieval letters from Diplomatarium Norvegicum that are mentioned in the book excerpt can be seen here:
1264-??-??: https://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/middelalder/diplom_vise_tekst.prl?b=9744
1292-06-28: https://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/middelalder/diplom_vise_tekst.prl?b=9745
1318-03-26: https://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/middelalder/diplom_vise_tekst.prl?b=9750

The letters are preserved as copies from the 17th century. They support that Thoron was given a farm called Berg in Elvedalen by Haakon IV, that she was the mother of a Thorald Thoraldsson, and in turn grandmother of that man's son Erlend Thoraldsson. Unfortunately, the letters are designated to Thorald and Erlend, so the original letter(s) to Thoron may not exist. Neither her patronymic or byname are mentioned.

Ekornes names other sources for Thoron's husband being Thorald Hvite, a member of Haakon IV's hirð (retinue). One is Hákonar saga Hákonarsonar, but I'm not sure how to find chapter 297:
https://skaldic.abdn.ac.uk/m.php?p=doconw&i=565
https://skaldic.abdn.ac.uk/m.php?p=text&i=33

It's probably not an unreasonable supposition to name Thoron as an illegitimate daughter of Haakon IV, but I wouldn't say it can ever be more than just that, from the given sources. I'd probably just put a note with the source without making the actual connection in my database, but as I've mentioned before I don't find royal or noble genealogy very interesting so I usually call it a day when I hit one.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 9, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

Hey, in the pre-computer but post-church era, say, 1940s-1950s America, did the county clerks or whoever issued marriage licenses have any way of checking that one of the applicants wasn't already married? I've been beating my head against a brick wall trying to locate the divorce record for my grandfather's parents, but what if there wasn't one? What if they just split up and married other people without legally divorcing? They lied about a LOT of stuff, so it's not like they were known for their honesty or high moral character.

Clerks could check local records or, if suspicious, ring up a couple’s claimed county of origin but for the most part no, you had to sign the certificate stating that you weren’t married (if you look at the certificate you have it likely has wording to this effect, asks how many times married etc) and then off you went.

Divorce was extremely hard to come by up til 1970 in the US and the advent of no-fault divorce. Before that you had to show cause, usually cruelty or abandonment, and it was incredibly stigmatized (and expensive) so people would often just... stop living together. Or once the husband moved off the wife would declare herself a widow (much more socially acceptable).

http://genealogytipoftheday.com/index.php/2016/01/23/not-really-widowed/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

En Ulsteinætt ("An Ulstein Lineage") is a genealogical book & the other book is as you say a novel. Simeon M. Ekornes has written a number of genealogical books and published some articles in respectable periodicals, so he's probably generally trustworthy. Do note however that he was by profession a bank manager.

The three medieval letters from Diplomatarium Norvegicum that are mentioned in the book excerpt can be seen here:
1264-??-??: https://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/middelalder/diplom_vise_tekst.prl?b=9744
1292-06-28: https://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/middelalder/diplom_vise_tekst.prl?b=9745
1318-03-26: https://www.dokpro.uio.no/perl/middelalder/diplom_vise_tekst.prl?b=9750

The letters are preserved as copies from the 17th century. They support that Thoron was given a farm called Berg in Elvedalen by Haakon IV, that she was the mother of a Thorald Thoraldsson, and in turn grandmother of that man's son Erlend Thoraldsson. Unfortunately, the letters are designated to Thorald and Erlend, so the original letter(s) to Thoron may not exist. Neither her patronymic or byname are mentioned.

Ekornes names other sources for Thoron's husband being Thorald Hvite, a member of Haakon IV's hirð (retinue). One is Hákonar saga Hákonarsonar, but I'm not sure how to find chapter 297:
https://skaldic.abdn.ac.uk/m.php?p=doconw&i=565
https://skaldic.abdn.ac.uk/m.php?p=text&i=33

It's probably not an unreasonable supposition to name Thoron as an illegitimate daughter of Haakon IV, but I wouldn't say it can ever be more than just that, from the given sources. I'd probably just put a note with the source without making the actual connection in my database, but as I've mentioned before I don't find royal or noble genealogy very interesting so I usually call it a day when I hit one.

Thanks, I was wondering about the source the author was referencing so that is very helpful. Given how my mother gravitates towards these royal connections I'm deeply suspicious but the connection to Thoron seems reasonable.

As to the novel itself, I'm guessing it's probably a bad Mists of Avalon sort of thing, quasi referenced fanfic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

As a series about historical women (referred to as "Daughters of Freyja") written by a woman, they're at least probably not misogynist. Also the first book was supported by the Norwegian Council of Arts after publication, a sign of some literary quality.

But yeah, they shouldn't be read for their historicity.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

As a series about historical women (referred to as "Daughters of Freyja") written by a woman, they're at least probably not misogynist. Also the first book was supported by the Norwegian Council of Arts after publication, a sign of some literary quality.

But yeah, they shouldn't be read for their historicity.

I didn't note that she got Council support, thanks.

From the author's bio page I'm guessing its antimisogynist, but that read pretty woo woo to me (in translation of course, which will miss nuance)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Just a quick question, this is Norway IP locked, if I used a VPN would it allow me to search within the book or download it outright?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bilirubin posted:

Just a quick question, this is Norway IP locked, if I used a VPN would it allow me to search within the book or download it outright?

Maybe. I'm not sure. It does say that Norwegian IPs have access, but it also mentions something about licenses for Norwegian universities.

Try Skanditråden, there are may friendly Norwegians:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480864

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Maybe. I'm not sure. It does say that Norwegian IPs have access, but it also mentions something about licenses for Norwegian universities.

Try Skanditråden, there are may friendly Norwegians:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3480864

So I had been planning to learn to read and speak Swedish, with the understanding that I would also be able to mostly understand spoken Norwegian. Can you also read in either language? (that thread seems to mostly be in Norwegian given all those crossed os)

e. or Danish too I suppose

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I'm Danish but can read all three/four (Norwegian has two written standards that are quite different). That thread is indeed written by us all in our native languages. Misunderstandings are very rare in thread (there are many false friends but we are used to them).

Spoken communication is a bit harder, but if both parties are giving an honest try, it's not bad at all. Many will switch to English though, which is pretty sad tbh.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 10, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah I'm Danish but can read all three/four (Norwegian has two written standards that are quite different). That thread is indeed written by us all in our own languages. Misunderstandings are very rare in thread (there are many false friends but we are used to them).

Spoken communication is a bit harder, but if both parties are giving an honest try, it's not bad at all. Many will switch to English though, which is pretty sad tbh.

OK cool! I'll stick with my original plan to learn Swedish since I'm still in contact with family there and have research collaborators at Uppsala. Whereas I never had problems with folks not speaking English there folks tended to loosen up quicker if I tried speaking Swedish first. (Mind, I always try to get some basic spoken language in countries when I visit. its just basic respect.)

I did see while doing some reading last night that there are two different forms of Norwegian--I had no idea. The pronunciation for Norge is pretty different

e.the switching to English thing leads to a classic Montreal situation where two people will have a conversation neither using their mother tongue. I learned my conversational French that way and gave francophones practice with their English.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 10, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah say a Norwegian dialect can be super difficult for a Danish speaker. Also, Danish is the hardest for the others to understand, cause we have potatoes in our mouth.

But hell yeah go for it :)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Carthag Tuek posted:

Yeah say a Norwegian dialect can be super difficult for a Danish speaker. Also, Danish is the hardest for the others to understand, cause we have potatoes in our mouth.

But hell yeah go for it :)

Obligatory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlTukY9fV9Y&t=70s

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 11, 2020

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Swedish descendant peeps!

arkivdigial.se is offering free access this weekend to all their records! This is awesome, even if you've already found all your records on ancestry or what have you, because arkivdigital's records were scanned in hires and full color, so if there's something you had a hard time reading in the original records its likely it'll be much better here. Go grab your copies or your research while you can. :)

quote:

From now and up through November 15, you can research for free with ArkivDigital. Take this opportunity to find information about your ancestors and family and discover more about your unique family history.

You can browse for free nearly 88 million newly photographed color images from the church books and other historical documents as well as search by name among 189 million names that are in our indexes.

Try building you own family tree with ArkivDigital. In the family tree, you can then save the persons and information that you find during the free days.

If you have never used ArkivDigital, this is a perfect time to discover all the exciting material we have in our indexes and archive.

If you have been a customer with ArkivDigital earlier but have not used the service in a while, you can take this opportunity to explore the new material that has been added in the recent months. Maybe you can add new material to your family research.

Read more here!

The offering to research free goes from now and up to Sunday, November 15 (Swedish midnight).

Feel free to invite your friends and relatives to take advantage of this free offer. Enjoy the free days!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oracle posted:

Swedish descendant peeps!

arkivdigial.se is offering free access this weekend to all their records! This is awesome, even if you've already found all your records on ancestry or what have you, because arkivdigital's records were scanned in hires and full color, so if there's something you had a hard time reading in the original records its likely it'll be much better here. Go grab your copies or your research while you can. :)

Sweet!

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Oracle posted:

Clerks could check local records or, if suspicious, ring up a couple’s claimed county of origin but for the most part no, you had to sign the certificate stating that you weren’t married (if you look at the certificate you have it likely has wording to this effect, asks how many times married etc) and then off you went.

Divorce was extremely hard to come by up til 1970 in the US and the advent of no-fault divorce. Before that you had to show cause, usually cruelty or abandonment, and it was incredibly stigmatized (and expensive) so people would often just... stop living together. Or once the husband moved off the wife would declare herself a widow (much more socially acceptable).

http://genealogytipoftheday.com/index.php/2016/01/23/not-really-widowed/

Yeah, this couple is a hot mess. My grandfather said they were married in 1936, divorced ?, remarried (to each other) in 1943, divorced again in 1950, and married to other people in 1951/52. Based on records, it's more likely she got pregnant, so he took her back home and said they were married, actually married in 1943 across the state line (probably because the local priest knew he had been married before), split up in the mid '40s, got briefly back together in 1947/48, and split again in 1949.

Did I mention when they were together, they lived next door to his previous wife and her new husband? Or that my great-grandmother was 15 and he was 27 when they hooked up? I feel "dysfunctional" doesn't adequately describe this family dynamic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

You should keep in mind that the story that was told to you is at best one half of the truth

ive heard weaksauce stories about wildass poo poo, or even not ever heard about it until i dug it out

in some cases the hero is not a hero. sorry im i have to say it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sweet, got some mail today!

My great grandfather's two younger brothers emigrated from Denmark in 1929, according to grandma's brother "because they didn't feel the succession of the family farm was done in a fair way, but also wanderlust". They settled in Canada, and married there. Neither of them had biological children, but one of them adopted the 5 year old son of his new wife. Some time ago, I got in contact with that son's daughter, who is also into genealogy.

We've been in contact on email on/off for some years; I've sent her photos of the family farm and various family gatherings. Even though she was not related to the Danes, she is always interested and loves to spot the family resemblance to the man she called her grandpa.

Anyway, she has just sent me a little trove of documents she had inherited from her grandpa's brother, who never had children. His Soldier's Service and Pay Book from volunteering in the Canadian army during WW2, union membership card, senior citizen bus pass, etc. Lovely stuff!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Awesome! And a good reminder that you shouldn’t neglect those adopted/step relatives just because they’re not genetically related because you miss out on stuff like this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Its the bi-annual 50% off sale at US ancestry.

6 months for 50% off of either US (49), World (74), or the whole package (99).

I've found the whole package, which includes newspapers.com, to be a ripoff. Every single thing I've wanted to look at in newspapers tells me I need publisher's extra (which is more money).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 5, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Goddamn 23andMe is drunk lately. I haven’t looked at it in ages but just in the last few days it’s swinging my results all over the place. One day I’m 95% Swedish (I’m not) then they give me back the little bit of Siberian I used to have, then that’s gone and it’s replaced by some North African that’s very unlikely. It’s like they just dropped a tray of results or something and can’t figure out how to get it straight again.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The trace ancestry part seems pretty unreliable, I wouldn't pay it too much mind. I've consistently had about 0.5% non-European ancestry since I got my results, but it's jumped from Western Asian to Central Asian to (now) a split between North African and Sudanese.

Basically, all they can tell you is that it's there, but not what it is exactly.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 8, 2021

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah that part isn’t so surprising since the amount is so small, although Siberian has always made some sense and North African doesn’t but who knows.

Becoming 40% more Swedish overnight was much weirder. It was like all of a sudden they were ignoring half my family.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Does anyone find ancestors buried in now-odd places? I'm in my hometown for the first time since I really got into genealogy, and thought that checking out the gravesites of some of the folks buried locally would be neat. For two of them, I just had a gps location in a place that's now a lot of shops. Went there, and it's literally just my 6th-great-grandparents, surrounded by a little fence, next to a Wells Fargo. There's signs all around it saying that the property is owned by WF, only relatives of the two people buried there are allowed in, and you can't do any ceremonies or rites there.

It's a shame, too, I wanted to reanimate the corpses of my ancestors.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
There's that couple buried under runway 10/28 at the airport in Savannah.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wow

I've mentioned it before, but most graves aren't kept more than say 20 or 40 years here in Denmark. You get a deed to the gravesite, which has to be renewed. Many cemeteries have older gravestones along the inner wall though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also, crosspost from history thread:

Carthag Tuek posted:

Came across a very long baptismal record the other day, which is always interesting to me. Whenever the priest felt like writing stuff down, there's got to be good stuff there, so I usually save those in a big ol' text file. Oh also, this is in Denmark, so we're talking lutheran protestantism. Anyway:

It was from the 1730s, but the girl was born in the 1720s. It said that "due to the midwife's thoughtless act, the child was baptized in beer instead of water". It went on to specify, that when this had become public (no idea when), the bishop had declared that the girl should be re-baptized once she had reached an age where she "by teaching could know what the baptisim is, and explain the apostle's creed". Thus, the 9 year old girl was re-baptized, and indeed given a more fancy version of her original name (her request?).

I shared this with other genealogists, and a former priest told me that by contemporary law, the priest and the bishop should have lost their jobs, if not been excommunicated. The various baptist denominations that practiced adult baptism were strictly illegal in Denmark at the time. It was sufficient for a baptism to have been made in the name of the trinity etc, whether the sacrament was done with beer or water. In fact, beer would probably be safer, as it had been boiled.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That might have been a burning matter just a century earlier, both Catholics and (mainstream) Protestants did not look kindly upon Baptists at the time. Although I assume that proper 'adult' baptisms are conducted at an age higher than nine years old

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

At the time, the law said everyone had to be baptized within 7 days of birth. Children of Catholic soldiers from the south were baptized Protestant. The only exceptions were a few royally permitted communities, such as Sephardi & Ashkenazi Jews in Copenhagen and Glücksburg, Dutch Mennonites in Friedrichstadt, French Huguenots in Fredericia, etc. Notably, these were all merchant cities, many of them established directly by the king to compete with Germany, so these international communities were there to encourage international trade, etc.

I've previously come across "a Mulatto from Bengal" who was baptized Johan Christian in Copenhagen in 1796, "after prior hearing" (ie. exam). He was presumably not baptized before, and had likely received some form of "Christian education". For those who read Danish, here's an article by Knud Waaben, Folk fra det fjerne. Tilflyttere og gæster i 1600- og 1700-tallet (Historiske Meddelelser om København, 2000) which has a lot of info about immigrants and visitors from afar, including some paragraphs about baptism:

https://bibliotek.slaegt.dk/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=22156

e: Just remembered, a man who married my great grandmother's sister was Jewish by birth, but he and his siblings were all baptized Protestant around age 10–14 shortly after 1900. Their parents remained Jews. Presumably, this was to avoid antisemitism. He divorced ggmas sister, then later entered a civil marriage with another Jew (and the marriage record says that any children would be raised as Jews). This was in January 1943 (during the Nazi occupation!). They fled to Sweden with most other Danish Jews in October 1943, but returned after the war. No children that I know of, but they were by then in their 50s, so.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

At the time, the law said everyone had to be baptized within 7 days of birth. Children of Catholic soldiers from the south were baptized Protestant. The only exceptions were a few royally permitted communities, such as Sephardi & Ashkenazi Jews in Copenhagen and Glücksburg, Dutch Mennonites in Friedrichstadt, French Huguenots in Fredericia, etc. Notably, these were all merchant cities, many of them established directly by the king to compete with Germany, so these international communities were there to encourage international trade, etc.

I've previously come across "a Mulatto from Bengal" who was baptized Johan Christian in Copenhagen in 1796, "after prior hearing" (ie. exam). He was presumably not baptized before, and had likely received some form of "Christian education". For those who read Danish, here's an article by Knud Waaben, Folk fra det fjerne. Tilflyttere og gæster i 1600- og 1700-tallet (Historiske Meddelelser om København, 2000) which has a lot of info about immigrants and visitors from afar, including some paragraphs about baptism:

https://bibliotek.slaegt.dk/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=22156

e: Just remembered, a man who married my great grandmother's sister was Jewish by birth, but he and his siblings were all baptized Protestant around age 10–14 shortly after 1900. Their parents remained Jews. Presumably, this was to avoid antisemitism. He divorced ggmas sister, then later entered a civil marriage with another Jew (and the marriage record says that any children would be raised as Jews). This was in January 1943 (during the Nazi occupation!). They fled to Sweden with most other Danish Jews in October 1943, but returned after the war. No children that I know of, but they were by then in their 50s, so.

My great-grandparents had what was then considered a 'mixed marriage' at the time (he was an evangelical protestant from Berlin, she was a Catholic from Wurzburg). They 'had' to get married (my oldest great-aunt came along six months later) and the oldest child was baptized Protestant, maybe as a condition of the marriage, I dunno. The rest of the kids were all baptized and raised Catholic, but my great-aunt who was a total daddy's girl stayed Protestant her whole life. I remember having to go to church with her when I stayed with her as a kid (we'd take turns staying with her at her summer cabin to keep her company/make sure she didn't have one of those 'I've fallen and I can't get up' moments for a week or two at a time) and marveling at the lack of kneelers (we were obviously raised Catholic).

Another line my x great-grandfather got disowned for marrying a Catholic French girl (they were British Protestants in Canada, watch Anne of Green Gables to get an idea of the bigotry there) and just up and said 'gently caress you all' and moved to America. We completely lost track of that line until about 15 years ago when I 'found' them again. They're still Protestant, we're still Catholic. And the genealogy matriarch of the family was rather incredulous when I found several instances of ancestral Catholic baptisms/marriages on that line well before my own xggf's marriage. Seems since they were all Irish in the British military it was... shall we say 'convenient' to convert to Protestantism but once they were out they had no problems going right back to the Mother Church.

Baptisms be crazy, yo.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
i have a question. recently i did an m-dna test. apparently this is only meant to show lineage from the maternal side - so, mother's mother's mother's mother and so on. but in my case, it showed stuff that could only have come from my mother's father. (saami and inuit - his grandfather came from lapland, and the only branch of the family to have ever lived in america is on that side as well.) and even though it dug up stuff on that side that is generations back, it showed no trace of chinese dna on her mother's side, which is only four generations ago and we are all still visibly eurasian. but on the other hand it did show stuff that is definitely from the maternal side (ashkenazi / sephardic) so there's not some clandestine family secret going on.

can anyone explain this? i've tried researching it and everything says no, it's cut and dried, m-dna is mother's mother's mother and y-dna is father's father's father, no exceptions. but that doesn't make any sense with my results. as for the chinese stuff, i know that the results depend on who else is already in the database, but this is one of the more reputable services and i can't imagine that they have literally nobody of east asian ancestry; our recorded heritage on that side includes china, hong kong, singapore and malaysia, so surely something ought to have twigged with a record already in their network.

i used the same service for my father's y-dna, which is from an extremely rare ethnic group, and it was accurate.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

perepelki posted:

i have a question. recently i did an m-dna test. apparently this is only meant to show lineage from the maternal side - so, mother's mother's mother's mother and so on. but in my case, it showed stuff that could only have come from my mother's father. (saami and inuit - his grandfather came from lapland, and the only branch of the family to have ever lived in america is on that side as well.) and even though it dug up stuff on that side that is generations back, it showed no trace of chinese dna on her mother's side, which is only four generations ago and we are all still visibly eurasian. but on the other hand it did show stuff that is definitely from the maternal side (ashkenazi / sephardic) so there's not some clandestine family secret going on.

can anyone explain this? i've tried researching it and everything says no, it's cut and dried, m-dna is mother's mother's mother and y-dna is father's father's father, no exceptions. but that doesn't make any sense with my results. as for the chinese stuff, i know that the results depend on who else is already in the database, but this is one of the more reputable services and i can't imagine that they have literally nobody of east asian ancestry; our recorded heritage on that side includes china, hong kong, singapore and malaysia, so surely something ought to have twigged with a record already in their network.

i used the same service for my father's y-dna, which is from an extremely rare ethnic group, and it was accurate.

Going to guess you used FTDNA as it’s the only company I know of doing both those tests.

mtDNA tests trace the lineage of your mothers mitochondrial cells; in other words, your mothers mothers mothers mothers etc line. If the Chinese lineage wasn’t on that particular female-only lineage, (e.g. your mothers mothers mother, in the case of your mom) it won’t show up. So if at any point in your moms genetic history the female direct ancestor wasn’t Chinese, you break that link and do not get any sign of Chinese heritage, because it only (with the exception of extremely rare cases) gets passed down from mother to children, stopping at the male child (whose children will inherit their mtDNA from their mother) and continuing through the female children.

From FTDNA’s website:

quote:

Will I find out what countries my Mother's family is from with mtDNA testing?

mtDNA testing will not be able to identify specific countries that your maternal ancestors came from. mtDNA mutates slowly which allows you to find out ancient information (such as your haplogroup), and will not help you learn about your more recent (within the past 200-500 years) origins. However, you can use mtDNA results with your personal genealogy research to contact your matches to find out more about where your common ancestors may be from.
Above emphasis of mine. This is why I tend not to recommend mtDNA tests for genealogical purposes.
1) you can easily find out your mtDNA haplogroup via an autosomal DNA test, either through outright being told (23&Me) or uploading to gedmatch and having them tell you (Ancestry).
2) it’s nigh on useless for recent genetic genealogy, and since most paper trails stop well before the 500 year mark your origins are likely lost to the mists of history at that point.

Take my kid, for instance. Fully half Chinese, his grandparents who also tested are both 100% Chinese, but since he gets his mtDNA from me, he is 100% mitochondrially descended from some Swedish Viking woman, because my mothers mothers mothers mother was from Sweden, and they apparently stuck around there for centuries (which jibes with the paper trail, which is extremely comprehensive in Sweden and goes back to at least the 15th century).

Now I didn’t even know that side of my family; my maternal grandmother died when my mother was 12 and she was raised by my (very German) grandfathers side (he had five sisters and they took turns playing mom to her).

Her mother was also only half Swedish, the other half was a mishmash of colonial English, Dutch and Irish along with whoever else might’ve snuck in there. But the only thing mtDNA tells us is my kid is descended from someone who is descended from someone who is descended from someone who at one point came from Sweden on his mom’s maternal line.

Now I suspect your matches are what’s throwing you off, because of the aforementioned explanation. Just because my kid will share matches with other ethnicities among his mtDNA matches doesn’t mean he’s part of those ethnicities, anymore then some Swedish lady can claim Chinese heritage because he shows up in her mtDNA match list. The only thing you are guaranteed to have in common with your mtDNA matches is mtDNA, your mitochondria, and that could be from thousands of years ago.

The other thing that might be throwing you is you bought both an autosomal test and a mtDNA test. The sample you sent them can easily be tested for both (in fact autosomal tests automatically include your mtDNA haplotype, as mentioned above), and they often offer package deals since it’s the rare person who only wants mtDNA results.

In that case you need to look at probability of inheritance. At the great-grandparent level, you’re inheriting (on average) about 12.5% of your DNA from each of your 8 great-grandparents.

The same goes for every generation between you and them, so you can see that without regular ‘infusions’ of Chinese DNA, it can easily get ‘washed out’ by the introduction of other ethnicities and the luck of the genetic draw. Also, never rely on appearance to guess ethnicity or relation; it’s just not a reliable indicator. There are light-skinned 100% Africans and blue-eyed 100% Asians.

If you’re really interested in getting into genetic genealogy I highly recommend Blaine Bettingers book, The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy (get the 2nd edition it’s much better organized, though you can find first editions in used bookstores for cheap and they’re still useful).

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
that's really interesting and helpful, thank you! in light of that, i guess our m-dna results are just too widespread to mean anything at all. luckily, in my case, the community i'm reconnecting with have a tradition of patrilineal descent and that did show up in our y-dna. it's nice to have that affirmation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Just to reiterate, mtDNA only comes from the line going directly through only mothers (with some mutations over time that enable us to estimate how may generations ago two women have a common great-...-grandmother). For instance, an Asian woman who marries an African man and has a daughter, who then marries a European man, etc. No matter how many generations pass, and no matter where the fathers came from, the youngest daughter will still have "Asian" mtDNA (which of course ultimately goes back to the dawn of man).

On my mother's side, I have German, Dutch, and Sephardi Jewish ancestry, but those are all at some point connected through a man and will not show in my mtDNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh man, this may be very interesting to those of German heritage.

https://www.archiv.sachsen.de/archiv/bestand.jsp?oid=13.01&bestandid=21962&syg_id=

Its a site with a lot of churchbooks that aren't on ancestry yet (not sure about archion.de) and include a lot of former East German areas. Its not indexed or anything but they are there. Sadly still none of the Kreis I need from Pomerania, but maybe someone else will get lucky.