Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

FogHelmut posted:

I'd describe is as complete poo poo and the only (yet glaring) flaw on a great phone.
I went whole hog on the P5 and got the google buds, so whatever, they aren't front facing stereo like my last several phones, but everything works and the battery is great, I haven't had issues out of the buds at all.

What I miss most is the pixel 3 squeeze assistant. I used that all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have an hour of SOT on my P5 today, and it's at 97% battery. Wtf.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

What I miss most is the pixel 3 squeeze assistant. I used that all the time.

I miss it too :(

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have an hour of SOT on my P5 today, and it's at 97% battery. Wtf.

I miss it too :(

The battery and screen are amazing on the P5. It's like a new world has been opened up coming from my OG pixel, where the battery would be dead after an hour of SOT.

The earpiece will take some getting used to. I found myself adjusting where I held my phone on calls because no spot on the ear seems to be "right". Probably because there's no distinct exit point for the sound, so it sort of rumbles throughout the glass.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol 6 and a half hours of SOT and 55% with (an expected) 13 hours of juice left

I'm impressed

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The thing is the battery life gets better after about a week.

I'm getting home from work with a few hours SOT and still have over 70% left.

Even brand new on my s9+ it was around 40%.

Phone is great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

effika posted:

Also going from P3 to P5, so many apps and settings got transferred over seamlessly that I didn't bother checking everything right after I set it up. I've been running into the occasional "wait what's my password?" and "why is this app making sounds" etc for the stragglers. So close to getting a seamless set up!

I strongly suggest using a password manager. I personally use Bitwarden - cross platform, has extensions for all popular desktop browsers, mobile apps, and it's free and apparently pretty secure.

Flashing proximity sensor: does it seem even more noticeable following the November patch or am I crazy?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've only seen it for a split second taking it from my pocket once since I got the phone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 4, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Proximity light thing has not been an issue for me

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I strongly suggest using a password manager. I personally use Bitwarden - cross platform, has extensions for all popular desktop browsers, mobile apps, and it's free and apparently pretty secure.

Flashing proximity sensor: does it seem even more noticeable following the November patch or am I crazy?

I mean yeah I have a password manager it's just that I didn't expect to enter in a password in whatever app since most of the others kept the log in active (thanks Awful App!).

I notice it the proximity sensor in the dark now where I didn't used to, so you may not be crazy.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

effika posted:

It took a few tries for my Garmin watch to connect to my 5, so it may be Android Bluetooth stack yet again.

Got it working this morning after factory resetting the watch again.

Loving this phone. The screen is great, battery is great, simply sage is great, camera is (still) great.

The 'special offer' that came with it for Play Points is downright insulting compared to early adopter offers of the past. $6 of digital scrip :effort:. My Pixel 2 came with $100 for store.google.com. My wife got in on the Google Fi offer for the entire P3 purchase price in travel gift certificates, plus phone bill credits.

Still, can't complain about the phone itself so far.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How many watts is the battery share on the pixel 5? I can't seem to find it.

However if you're plugged in, the pixel 5 will automatically turn on the battery share, and the pixel 5 itself becomes a wireless charging pad for your other devices.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FogHelmut posted:

How many watts is the battery share on the pixel 5? I can't seem to find it.

It can reverse-charge at 5W. So not very much, but enough for something like a watch to charge reasonably quickly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

However if you're plugged in, the pixel 5 will automatically turn on the battery share, and the pixel 5 itself becomes a wireless charging pad for your other devices.

I just tried this with my Pixel 4 XL to see what would happen. It actually worked...through both the P5's fabric case and the 4XL's Spigen.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bit the bullet and bought a pixel 5 at best buy near me

i love the size of the phone and being able to swipe type across the whole thing without reaching and being to reposition my hand. and 90hz scrolling is really smooth and nice

but those might be the only two things i like about this phone and I'm not sure it's enough to keep me from returning it

the top OS status bar (with wifi and battery symbols etc) is easily 2x if not 2.5x the size of the pixel 2 with nothing gained and only screen real estate lost

the speaker really is awful. make excuses all you want for how you're better than an acceptable speaker on a nearly thousand dollar device but it's really bad and makes the phone feel like cheap poo poo. you should be able to play a quick youtube video or twitter thing someone sends you without whipping out your fancy headphones or connecting to an amazing stereo surround sound speaker setup

another strong point is the fingerprint sensor which is lightning quick and i prefer over a face unlock option. however swiping down for the notification window only works maybe 4/10 times for me

lastly, as is usual with newer screen dimensions (im assuming this phone has a narrower aspect ratio?) some apps are just badly cropped and improperly formatted to the displays rounded edges. which, again, all of these little things add up to this feeling like a budget phone that costs way more than its worth

really wanted to have nice things to say about this phone and at least wanted to try it out firsthand and get personal with it. too bad google in three years couldn't figure out how to make another solid premium quality device that didn't have unnecessary bullshit (i disabled squeeze for assistant on my 2 tho i do think it had utility)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

the top OS status bar (with wifi and battery symbols etc) is easily 2x if not 2.5x the size of the pixel 2 with nothing gained and only screen real estate lost

It's sized like this for the pinhole front-facing camera. It's barely something I noticed after the first day and a half.

ShoogaSlim posted:

the speaker really is awful. make excuses all you want for how you're better than an acceptable speaker on a nearly thousand dollar device but it's really bad and makes the phone feel like cheap poo poo. you should be able to play a quick youtube video or twitter thing someone sends you without whipping out your fancy headphones or connecting to an amazing stereo surround sound speaker setup

Get a grip. It's not remotely as bad as you say, and I just spent time watching youtube and playing a game on the phone speakers just fine. The *only* situation the top speaker is tinny and a bit odd, is phone calls.

ShoogaSlim posted:

however swiping down for the notification window only works maybe 4/10 times for me

This works fine for me, every time.

ShoogaSlim posted:

lastly, as is usual with newer screen dimensions (im assuming this phone has a narrower aspect ratio?) some apps are just badly cropped and improperly formatted to the displays rounded edges.

What app are you talking about? I haven't experienced this at all.

ShoogaSlim posted:

solid premium quality device

That's literally what this feels like, in every way. For only $700 USD here, not a thousand.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

lastly, as is usual with newer screen dimensions (im assuming this phone has a narrower aspect ratio?) some apps are just badly cropped and improperly formatted to the displays rounded edges. which, again, all of these little things add up to this feeling like a budget phone that costs way more than its worth

Dunno about the rest of it, but basically every new android phone is similar or even taller (Galaxy S20 is 20:9 vs Pixel 5 at 19.5:9, for example). Whatever app you're talking about is both weird and also not going to be any better on any other recent phone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

you can naysay the negative reactions all you want but some people come to these threads for advice and deserve to know that not everyone absolutely falls in love with their shiny new phone. especially one that is known to have a lot of compromises.

i am genuinely stoked for anyone who is satisfied with their pixel 5 (or 4a or 4a 5g), but there are some issues with it that leave me less than excited to finally upgrade after waiting three whole years. i expect a huge (or at least noticeable) jump in quality across basically every aspect of a device after that long, and this feels like settling.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

you can naysay the negative reactions all you want but some people come to these threads for advice and deserve to know that not everyone absolutely falls in love with their shiny new phone. especially one that is known to have a lot of compromises.

i am genuinely stoked for anyone who is satisfied with their pixel 5 (or 4a or 4a 5g), but there are some issues with it that leave me less than excited to finally upgrade after waiting three whole years. i expect a huge (or at least noticeable) jump in quality across basically every aspect of a device after that long, and this feels like settling.

I don't have a Pixel 5, but if a real complaint is that some apps don't respect aspect ratios besides 16:9, you're not going to like any new phone

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you are gonna post claims, and they are not in alignment with others'experiences, expect to get refuted. It's not "naysaying a negative reaction" by disagreeing with you. I'm getting tired of your posts.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

look all I'm saying is that there are things i dislike about the phone. your experience may differ and that's fine, but most of this poo poo is subjective and nerds on the internet (myself included) swear to god that their individual experiences amount to undisputable facts.

you don't mind the lovely speaker setup? fine. you don't mind the system status bar being larger than it needs to be and eating into screen real estate for the smaller camera they put in front? fine. you don't mind that photos are too cold? fine. just don't act like they're not issues bc they're not issues for you. just like i acknowledge that my gripes are mine and im just sharing my opinions on a discussion forum

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also, use your drat shift key when you post.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

you don't mind the system status bar being larger than it needs to be and eating into screen real estate for the smaller camera they put in front? fine.

I guess I don't really need to mention it, but like the aspect ratio, this is also a common thing now that many android phones have hole-punch selfie cameras. Also it's good you skipped the Pixel 3XL :D

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

look all I'm saying is that there are things i dislike about the phone. your experience may differ and that's fine, but most of this poo poo is subjective and nerds on the internet (myself included) swear to god that their individual experiences amount to undisputable facts.

you don't mind the lovely speaker setup? fine. you don't mind the system status bar being larger than it needs to be and eating into screen real estate for the smaller camera they put in front? fine. you don't mind that photos are too cold? fine. just don't act like they're not issues bc they're not issues for you. just like i acknowledge that my gripes are mine and im just sharing my opinions on a discussion forum

The status bar eating real estate is obviously wrong if your other assertion that the aspect ratio messes up things because (duh) the larger the status bar, the "fatter" the aspect ratio for viewing. If you had the additional width that the bar would give you, you'd have a smaller viewing area on 16:9 media assuming the media is scaled to the height of the device.

Both simply can't be true if geometry is real.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apps aligning weird with the curved corners is pretty much an issue on any modern device save like the Note series since it has more squared off corners.

The navigation buttons used to hide it because they were taller than the current tiny bar that the gesture nav uses. So, the app area extends down into the radius of the corner and looks funky.

It's less obvious on something like the OP8P because the edges of the screen curve as well and that obscures the way the app curve in slightly as it enters the radius of the corner, but it's still there.

Anyways, it's not a problem with the P5 specifically, it's an issue with using large radius rounded drat corners on a display.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I've had my pixel 5 running for a couple of weeks now.

The size is great, it almost identical to my old Huawei P10 but the actual screen is bigger.

The screen is fine, I can't say the increased refresh rate over my old phone has made a huge difference.

Speakers for media seem fine, the bottom one does most of the heavy lifting and is ok, I wouldn't say it's any worse than my previous phones.

As we're back on lockdown I've been working from home a lot recently and having to use the phone as an actual phone and the top speaker is awful for its intended purpose. It's not quiet or unclear particularly, it just sounds really bad. It's like a poor quality speaker phone or hearing a call bleed through somebody else's headphones. On the subject of phone calls as well, the dial pad tones sound ridiculously loud to me - is there a way to turn them down, or is the choice simply on or off?

Fingerprint scanner is quick, positioning took a while to get used - being used to having a front scanner on past phones. A case made it easier to hit the scanner correctly.

Battery life is the real standout feature to me so far.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 4, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unfortunately, despite my initial success in getting the galaxy watch 3 to be detected charging on the P5, the P5 eventually turns off wireless power share after a minute or two.

I don't know if the power draw is too slight to trigger the threshold to keep it on or not. I wish there was a developer option to not auto shutoff the power if nothing is detected.

Did better than the OP8P in that regard, it wouldn't even detect the watch for reverse power wireless charging.

Samsung, kings of making standards proprietary anyways.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 4, 2020

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

you guys bring up good points about the status bar, the bottom curved edges, and aspect ratio overall. some apps look better naturally either because of dark mode or whatever else, some look janky.

my bigger question then is, why give a gently caress about perfectly symmetrical bezels if it's at the cost of actual usable screen real estate?

another poster a few pages back said they would rather have a bigger forehead than the hole punch and I wholeheartedly agree. seems like google bucking to this weird, impractical, fetishy desire for "perfect" aesthetics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

you guys bring up good points about the status bar, the bottom curved edges, and aspect ratio overall. some apps look better naturally either because of dark mode or whatever else, some look janky.

my bigger question then is, why give a gently caress about perfectly symmetrical bezels if it's at the cost of actual usable screen real estate?

another poster a few pages back said they would rather have a bigger forehead than the hole punch and I wholeheartedly agree. seems like google bucking to this weird, impractical, fetishy desire for "perfect" aesthetics.

I think dark mode helps a lot because it makes the border between the app and the phone bezels much less noticeable--I have a P3 still and have dark mode enabled everywhere I can and love it.

Not really sure what your question about symmetrical bezels is, though? Are you suggesting that they should have gone with a larger bezel up top to shove the camera into like with the P2? If so, then it would bump down the status bar from where it is now, so either you'd be losing usable screen space or they'd have to have made the phone taller. Personal opinions aside, it's clear Google was aiming for a more compact phone this time (hence no XL version), so making it taller was apparently off the table.

The hole punch + status bar is a way of actually increasing the usable screen space in a given physical size because of the above. I don't think it was so much about aesthetics as trying to maximize the available screen space in the compact format they were going for. At least it's better than Samsung's bizarre fetish for aggressively curved screens that no one asked for and are almost objectively bad in every way?

The real compromise there was putting the speaker behind the screen, which has some obvious tradeoffs that not everyone is going to think are worth the space savings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's what the market demanded.

The bezels don't really have any influence on the things you stated though. There can be perfectly symmetrical thin bezels and square off the corners a bit.

Squaring off the corners would let them move the hole punch camera up a little more, making the status bar area thinner. Of course, they should up the cost and do a smaller cut like the S/Note 20 series as well.

If apps extend the color of the app into the nav bar area, you really don't notice anything odd. It's just the legacy ones that leave the nav bar area a default black where it's really jarring (especially if the rest of the app is light colored.)

I do think Google should take the radius of the display curve into account though in the UI design. It annoys the poo poo out of me that the corners of the app drawer and notification shade don't match the radius of the display. It's little polish stuff like that they need to work on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Now this I'll agree with. The rounded corners, okay, whatever, but I'd take a top bezel over the all screen look any day. With under screen cameras coming I don't have a lot of faith my position will be tenable however.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I would much rather have some minor bezels than a hole punch/notch which makes most of that added screen useless anyway. I am still pretty happy with the Pixel 3 design. All this crazy battery talk on the Pixel 5 has my resolve fading though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bandire posted:

I would much rather have some minor bezels than a hole punch/notch which makes most of that added screen useless anyway. I am still pretty happy with the Pixel 3 design. All this crazy battery talk on the Pixel 5 has my resolve fading though.

I ended yesterday with 3.5h SOT and my battery was still at 67% 😮

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

CLAM DOWN posted:

I ended yesterday with 3.5h SOT and my battery was still at 67% 😮

drat. I'm pretty sure my 3 couldn't do 3.5h SOT from 100% before shutting off. If these things go on sale at all I'll probably crack.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Bandire posted:

Compared to the P3, the hole punch design mostly just moves the status bar over to the right, and expands it a bit since the P3 notch was so large. You gain the ability to, uh, display more statuses, I guess. It's certainly no worse than the notch, and without the hole/notch you'd have to make your phone another 8-12mm taller to get the same usable screen space, since that status bar has to go somewhere. I mean the notch was basically a "minor bezel" that you could also display the status bar on. I'm struggling to see the downside.

Except for the "put the speaker behind the screen and make it sound like trash" part. That's obviously a downside. But it's strictly superior in terms of usable screen space.

Bandire posted:

drat. I'm pretty sure my 3 couldn't do 3.5h SOT from 100% before shutting off. If these things go on sale at all I'll probably crack.

IIRC the expectation for Black Friday is $200 off, which isn't bad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

IIRC the expectation for Black Friday is $200 off, which isn't bad.

That's only on Verizon, I believe. Word is $50 unlocked from BB otherwise, so not great.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also, use your drat shift key when you post.
lol you probated him for this. i've been posting in lower-case but i guess it's ok because you like my opinions?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yeah I thought that rule had been relaxed?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah I thought that rule had been relaxed?

Not in Inspect your Gadgets. When did this place stop being a subforum of the AV forum? Where did the AV / Home theater forum go anyway?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

lol you probated him for this. i've been posting in lower-case but i guess it's ok because you like my opinions?

He's been posting lovely for a while and ignoring me, you're still in my good books (for noooowwwwwww)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Twerk from Home posted:

Not in Inspect your Gadgets. When did this place stop being a subforum of the AV forum? Where did the AV / Home theater forum go anyway?

Most of it was split into IYG or SH/SC uhh, over six years ago. It happened before I bought my Nexus 5, or my plasma television.