Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Deathlove posted:

I'm pretty sure about this since he beat Roskam and Roskam trashed Ives, but gosh I haven't seen a single poll and while that generally means "why bother", I'm still sweating.

The crew over at Cook political gets campaign internals shared all the time. They do not even have this race on their radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

The crew over at Cook political gets campaign internals shared all the time. They do not even have this race on their radar.
drat I hope we can get rid of Davis finally.

He's technically not even my rep, but he might as well be since I'm gerrymandered into LaHood's conservative dumping district. (And I'm really disappointed because his dad was actually a pretty good secretary of transportation.)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

Yeah, I saw that House likely/lean/toss-up graphic the other day and was like ???

just put it in likely! just let me have that bit of solace.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

dwarf74 posted:

drat I hope we can get rid of Davis finally.

He's technically not even my rep, but he might as well be since I'm gerrymandered into LaHood's conservative dumping district. (And I'm really disappointed because his dad was actually a pretty good secretary of transportation.)

loving same, I want to live vicariously through my friends in Davis's district since I know LaHood is here to stay.

My fun news for today is that my ballot, which I mailed in on October 1st, was never scanned as being received. My wife's was, which was mailed at the exact same time. Fortunately I was able to get them to cancel my mail ballot and allow me to go in person today. Line was about 10-15 minutes, nothing much but still longer than usual here in Bloomington.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Aw man, I didn't realize the Greens had actually managed to put up a senate candidate. Now I feel bad for not doing the research to find out if they're notably better than Durbin.

Also got confused when Kilbride's retention vote wasn't on my ballot, because I'm close enough to his district that I still got all the ads about it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's early
https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/illinois/ballot-measures/

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Woof. I hope this turns around.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

It's been trending NO the past few times I looked at it

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Since I posted it NO has had the majority the whole time

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
loving CHUDs.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
The only county with a majority Yes is Cook currently. Seems like the rest of the state is voting against their self-interest once again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
LOL Davis vs Londrigan wasn't even close. WTF

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

LOL Davis vs Londrigan wasn't even close. WTF

That's likely a screw up because Champaign County was reporting 100% on the county clerk website and local media took it as 100% of the votes but it was 100% of in person election day total.

You'd think seeing 10K total votes for a county of 200K people would ring a few alarm bells but well... they don't grow the brightest downstate in local media.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I had been sweating Casten earlier in the evening, but as more and more comes in it's looking better. Hopefully by the morning Ives will be back in hell whence she came.

Really sucks about what looks like defeat for the progressive tax. Enjoy your across-the-board tax hike that we non-millionaires could have avoided, everybody! Great loving job as usual.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah everybody's flat tax is going up next year. Good job poo poo brains.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Blue state, red state, purple state, orange state, yellow state, doesn’t matter, it’s idiots all the way down.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Looks like Bustos has pulled ahead in the 17th (R+4), but the 14th (R+1.8) still has that fuckhole Oberweis up by a few thousand votes. I want to see him keep on losing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Somehow McLean County voted for Biden while apparently getting everything else wrong.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Kibride got recalled?

wtf does that mean (other than 'conservatives were way better at advertising in Illinois this year')

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Madigan has to go. He’s not liked in most of the state, and Republicans are going to tie any Democrat they can to him.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

Madigan has to go. He’s not liked in most of the state, and Republicans are going to tie any Democrat they can to him.

He's not going until he has a stroke or gets tired of wielding power, which will be never.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah everybody's flat tax is going up next year. Good job poo poo brains.

But I voted for the uhhhh no tax change thingy!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

But I voted for the uhhhh no tax change thingy!!!

These hot takes are gonna be delicious, it will be a rare smile in 2021.

edit - or thinking about it more I guess it might not enter people's attention until April 2022.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 4, 2020

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Is there any upside to the progressive tax defeat at all? I feel like everyone's taxes will get raised and people will just go "drat Dems!" and things will get worse.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

beejay posted:

Is there any upside to the progressive tax defeat at all? I feel like everyone's taxes will get raised and people will just go "drat Dems!" and things will get worse.

You feel correctly, thats what will happen

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

dwarf74 posted:

Kibride got recalled?

wtf does that mean (other than 'conservatives were way better at advertising in Illinois this year')

3-3 IL supreme court which needs to find an interim replacement before a new justice gets elected in '22. Be prepared for the republicans to draw this process out for as long as possible to deadlock as much as they can.

e - Looks like Oberweis is still ahead. :(

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 4, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

beejay posted:

Yes, that's exactly what will happen.

What seems to have happened is that Trump motivated his base hardcore, and once again destroyed likely voter polling. That's the only reason Davis won down here, near as I can figure. It's what he's saying, at least, and I think he's right.

Maybe indict Madigan already.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Bird in a Blender posted:

The dude ranked his own child’s political future just to hang on. He is a medieval king who kills his kids.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I remember back when Pritzker got elected that he was talking about how, if they couldn't get the amendment through, he was going to look at implementing a bunch of tax credits in order to One Weird Trick his way to a graduated rate. Is that still on the table or nah? (Guessing this is also a scenario where Kilbride's recall becomes distressingly relevant.)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Cattail Prophet posted:

I remember back when Pritzker got elected that he was talking about how, if they couldn't get the amendment through, he was going to look at implementing a bunch of tax credits in order to One Weird Trick his way to a graduated rate. Is that still on the table or nah? (Guessing this is also a scenario where Kilbride's recall becomes distressingly relevant.)

I was thinking about that earlier today. Basically you raise the tax rate to 30% and then introduce tax credits for those who make under X amount to make it close to what the progressive rates would be. There isn’t anything illegal to it just a pain in the rear end and there is the likelihood of a lot of poor getting inadvertently hosed by it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also people could just sue and say it’s obviously taxing people at different rates by the back door so substantively it’s not allowed under the state constitution

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

The "no on progressive tax rates" people put a shitload of ads out against the act, so I'm not surprised. Couldn't look at muh dang youtubes without seeing one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both sides were flooding the state with ads, whatever personal info they have harvested on you is what determined which you saw.

But I guess the vote no ads had a better message, "tax the rich" wasn't enough to pass it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I will be real depressed if Underwood loses. Seems like a genuinely good person that Dems should be building the party around.

If she does lose, I hope she can get some kind of gig with the administration.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

I will be real depressed if Underwood loses. Seems like a genuinely good person that Dems should be building the party around.

If she does lose, I hope she can get some kind of gig with the administration.

Especially because she would be replaced by perennial loser and Big Piece Of poo poo Ice Cream Man Jim Oberweis

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I used to work at Oberweis, that poo poo sucked

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Some liberal I know (I only mention so you know they probably voted straight ticket D otherwise) posted a meme where it was like "When have we ever had a tax cut in Illinois?" this morning, I assume in celebration of the defeat and I have no words. Ya, they never cut your taxes because if they do then they have to cut everyone's. That's the point ya dingus!

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
The Tribune article does say that the current vote totals for Underwood and Oberweis do NOT include mail-in ballots (via drop box on Election Day, received on Election Day, or late-arriving but postmarked by Election Day, or provisionally-cast ballots. So there's I guess potentially a chance, although I can't imagine that it's a great chance since these are probably far fewer than that. I don't know.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/poli...bpxq-story.html

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

HootTheOwl posted:

Some liberal I know (I only mention so you know they probably voted straight ticket D otherwise) posted a meme where it was like "When have we ever had a tax cut in Illinois?" this morning, I assume in celebration of the defeat and I have no words. Ya, they never cut your taxes because if they do then they have to cut everyone's. That's the point ya dingus!

We just had a tax cut a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sarcastro posted:

The Tribune article does say that the current vote totals for Underwood and Oberweis do NOT include mail-in ballots (via drop box on Election Day, received on Election Day, or late-arriving but postmarked by Election Day, or provisionally-cast ballots. So there's I guess potentially a chance, although I can't imagine that it's a great chance since these are probably far fewer than that. I don't know.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/poli...bpxq-story.html

Does seem like a decent amount outstanding so crossing my fingers.