Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
I really like that Trident. Time to get saving. Think it works out at £7500 with the official heated grips and the good colour scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Triumph Trident details dropped today https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/roadsters/trident/trident-660

$7995, 80 HP, 47 lbft, and:

Seems both competitive and unremarkable in the class but it looks kinda cool

It's a non-ugly Striple, amazing it's taken them 20 years to twig that's what people wanted.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If they have a 0% APR option in the UK for Hire Purchase, I'd be well up for it on launch (they won't).

I might get one after it's depreciated a bit for a year or two, on the used market (there will be tonnes).

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
There’s not enough 0% apr deals about. It’s nice knowing you are just paying the list price even if it’s over 3 years.

Most triumph finance is 7.9% or more. They will sell loads of these anyway but at 0% they would sell a lot more and make more money. I’d never buy any accessories at anything over zero but I’d be tempted to get a few at 0%.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm actually shocked to find out that my google image searches for "gsx-r marijuana," "gixxer marijuana," and "gsx-r weed leaf" did not return any gixxers with weed related livery. I know there must be multiple bikes out there that would be spot on

I mean, they had a whole race team sponsored by Rizla...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a non-ugly Striple, amazing it's taken them 20 years to twig that's what people wanted.

Yeah, right? A round headlight and less aggressive creasing on the tank and tail add up to a good looking modern standard, and it's two grand less than a bonnie

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm actually shocked to find out that my google image searches for "gsx-r marijuana," "gixxer marijuana," and "gsx-r weed leaf" did not return any gixxers with weed related livery. I know there must be multiple bikes out there that would be spot on

I put a canadian weed tax stamp on my SAR when I was up in banff :D

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow that triumph really does look awesome. How fun is a triple compared to something like an SV650 motor?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

Wow that triumph really does look awesome. How fun is a triple compared to something like an SV650 motor?

I measured and it is 5 fun. Exactly 5.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Rolo posted:

It's a really great engine. It sounds amazing and has power all over the rev range. The fact that Triumph shut down the Isle of Man for a weekend, put us up at a four-star resort, and hired chefs to keep us fed well didn't change the perfect feel of the controls, the suspension tuned for street or track use, or the plush saddle that just made us feel like valentino rossi and the dalai lama had a baby that became emperor of the world

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw engines built to a particular (usually legislated) power output number out of a more powerful engine usually range between uncannily flat and uninteresting all the way through to aggressively comatose.

It is a steel frame budget chassis middleweight with a striple derived motor, take your hands off your willies people.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hand was already there and will stay there.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I was gonna say slavvy if you don't care for the CB650R it looks like there's a chance you won't like the Trident, just looking at the spec sheet

Of course a bike being good or bad is often completely divorced from the spec sheet so :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have ridden a street triple 660 LAMS and it felt broken. Fitting a normal d675 ecu fixed it right up though!

An engine built to make 70hp on it's best day is fun and interesting, most of the time, parallel twins excepted. An engine detuned to 70hp when it's designed for 100+ always, and I mean always, results in either a really weird truncated sensation to the way that it revs, or like you have a blocked pilot jet so 50% and 100% throttle feel basically the same.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Fwiw engines built to a particular (usually legislated) power output number out of a more powerful engine usually range between uncannily flat and uninteresting all the way through to aggressively comatose.

It is a steel frame budget chassis middleweight with a striple derived motor, take your hands off your willies people.

If it helps I thought the Striple motor was dull as hell to start with. Like I can see why people like it, but I can also see why people ride like utter dickheads on them because there's almost no actual sensation of speed.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Slavvy posted:

An engine built to make 70hp on it's best day is fun and interesting, most of the time, parallel twins excepted.

the CP2 is cool and good actually :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it helps I thought the Striple motor was dull as hell to start with. Like I can see why people like it, but I can also see why people ride like utter dickheads on them because there's almost no actual sensation of speed.

My first time on a striple was in the midst of daily riding a 1200 rex and I initially thought it was broken, then spent ages accidentally slamming into the limiter. But the handling was amazing but comparison!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Anyone have any suggestions for kid's books relating to motorcycles?

Kid in question is 2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can definitely recommend one book NOT to buy...

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Martytoof posted:

I can definitely recommend one book NOT to buy...

Which one?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

haha good one punchy!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

haha good one punchy!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for kid's books relating to motorcycles?

Kid in question is 2.

This one encourages excellent riding habits:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Mouse and the Motorcycle!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Werner! Obviously.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MomJeans420 posted:

Oh yeah I always forget about that. You can't buy cigarettes in the US until you're 21, but feel free to buy a gixxer as a starter bike and not wear a helmet (in certain states).

Now that I think of it, I had a weed dealer in college who wasn't the brightest but bought a used gixxer as a first bike then stopped responding to calls a month later. I always wondered if that was related.

The most most important traits for a weed dealer:

1. availability
2. quality
3. price
4. speed

In that order. Sometimes 2,3,4 get flipped around. It would seem that particular dealer tried to reverse the natural order of things and paid the price. :rip: candy man

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

My issues with inattentiveness this summer summed up in one image, gently caress

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

2021 MT-07 page is up https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/hyper-naked/models/mt-07

Still not a fan of the new headlight style but it works better on the narrower 07 than on the 09. I'm mad jelly of those blinkers though

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Am I a goofball for liking everything about that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No, you aren’t, it suffers from JBVBS (Japanese bike visual busyness syndrome) but other than that looks real good. I am predisposed to like any bike that matches black or grey with a high contrast color

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 3, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bin the transformers headlight and put a round or oval headlight on it and it will be nice.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Bin the transformers headlight and put a round or oval headlight on it and it will be nice.

And tail tidy ofc

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m definitely not a fan of the new styling or colour but taste is subjective. I really liked the gray/neon yellow look they rocked previously while others hated that so ... :D

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

I'm mad jelly of those blinkers though

Don't get too attached, those are no doubt the Euro/JDM market LEDs that we won't get here because "they're not DOT compliant". Prepare your body for the giant Yamaha pumpkin blinkers we've been getting for the past 20 years, and your checkbook for an aftermarket alternative

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

Don't get too attached, those are no doubt the Euro/JDM market LEDs that we won't get here because "they're not DOT compliant". Prepare your body for the giant Yamaha pumpkin blinkers we've been getting for the past 20 years, and your checkbook for an aftermarket alternative

idk, they look just like the ones on the MT-03 which made it to the New World intact :shrug:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

FBS posted:

idk, they look just like the ones on the MT-03 which made it to the New World intact :shrug:

I imagine we will get those signals as they do seem to have finally gotten over the pumpkin stock, but in the meantime you can do something like these on your bike which is semi similar: https://tstindustries.com/tst-mech-gtr-front-led-turn-signals-yamaha-fz-mt.html

I really like a lot of TST's products fwiw. I have the yamaha flushmounts on my MT-09 along with the integrated tail and I think it looks amazing. I have been super happy with the build quality of their stuff and what not, would definitely recommend.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

I wish DOT cared half as much about helmets and massive trucks/suv as they do blinkers and pop up lights.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

right arm posted:

I put a canadian weed tax stamp on my SAR when I was up in banff :D

And then shockingly got a cavity search coming back over the border.

Gorson posted:

The most most important traits for a weed dealer:

1. availability
2. quality
3. price
4. speed

In that order. Sometimes 2,3,4 get flipped around. It would seem that particular dealer tried to reverse the natural order of things and paid the price. :rip: candy man

I like the idea of a drug dealer who's dedicated to getting to you as fast as possible, but in the past I would have been happy for one that just would meet you at the agreed upon time.

*edit*
lol at the thread title, it got changed right as I was typing this out

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

And then shockingly got a cavity search coming back over the border.

lol my brother did not take his off when we left our campsite in silverton, BC and got a talking to by the border patrol, yet still got let through with his vape carts

being a white looking latino probably helped, but idk why the cops don't fw motorcycle riders ever. couple weeks ago I got pulled over riding here in TN for rolling a stop with OR plates and OR license on a very conspicuous bike and he didn't even ask to see my license, just told me to put a foot down next time :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I wonder if it's actually possible to make a euro-5 compliant engine that doesn't look like a pile of car barf, or if Yamaha just have Problems with aesthetics