Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Y'all are just describing the game Let It Die.

sounds like a very appropriately titled game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
In real things of The Real, Shadow of the Wyrm has a nice Myriad Polishing & Such Update out:

https://www.shadowofthewyrm.org/

I enjoy the synchronicity of it becoming more full fledged as the hulking Biskup's Monster of ADOM Ultimate also arrives at key final junctions on the road of Early Access. All we need is for Axu's dev to liven back up as Qud continues apace and all is well*.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
What some interesting features in Shadow of the Wyrm? The tiles look but there's not much info on the site, or at Rogue Basin.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
So how about Crown Trick? It's cool. The UI and polish level is insane; very aspirational for me as a dev. Everything is clear and well-defined. I love the environmental effects and how each weapon feels so distinct. It definitely doesn't feel like a traditional dungeon crawler, if that makes sense, more like a puzzle-roguelike... Sproggiwood might be the closest analogue (cardinal movement online, no health regeneration, relatively small pool of items + abilities to rely on, minimal equipment, short runs.) The break system is cool too.

I don't love *everything* about it. Weapon types that can attack diagonally are obviously OP, since nothing else can hit diagonally. Also, I haven't beaten the first dungeon yet because I keep eating poo poo when I encounter certain bosses that have auto-targeting attacks. I can't seem to figure out the logic for how or why I'm getting hit. I'm sure I'll figure it out but it seems like a weird glaring flaw for now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Let It Die was a weird, confusing game but hell I had a great time playing it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Speaking of Let It Die, what other good roguelikes/lites are on ps4? I'm working away from home 12 hr shift days and games I can do a run or 2 of are the only ones I really have time to play. I've been playing GalakZ which in spite of being ugly as sin is actually super fun, I finally beat 2-1 this morning so I'm looking forward to finally seeing what's next. I also got The Long Journey Home, been doing the tutorial, hard game till you get used to its physics. I've had rogue legacy and binding of Isaac forever so I'm pretty done with those. I've heard some things about moonlighter, but I'm not sure it's my bag.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
My experience with Moonlighter was that it's an absolute slog with like zero interesting things about it

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

zirconmusic posted:

. I can't seem to figure out the logic for how or why I'm getting hit. I'm sure I'll figure it out but it seems like a weird glaring flaw for now.

A red number over enemy head is how long they'll charge a cast for, if you do a stun effect or knock back you'll interrupt them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

zirconmusic posted:

So how about Crown Trick? It's cool. The UI and polish level is insane; very aspirational for me as a dev. Everything is clear and well-defined. I love the environmental effects and how each weapon feels so distinct. It definitely doesn't feel like a traditional dungeon crawler, if that makes sense, more like a puzzle-roguelike... Sproggiwood might be the closest analogue (cardinal movement online, no health regeneration, relatively small pool of items + abilities to rely on, minimal equipment, short runs.) The break system is cool too.

I don't love *everything* about it. Weapon types that can attack diagonally are obviously OP, since nothing else can hit diagonally. Also, I haven't beaten the first dungeon yet because I keep eating poo poo when I encounter certain bosses that have auto-targeting attacks. I can't seem to figure out the logic for how or why I'm getting hit. I'm sure I'll figure it out but it seems like a weird glaring flaw for now.

misread this as Clown Trick and was excited for a moment.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I picked world of horror back up to try out all the new content and man, I forgot how much the last level drops the ball.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

A red number over enemy head is how long they'll charge a cast for, if you do a stun effect or knock back you'll interrupt them.

Yeah I know that for the chargeup moves. But for example I keep dying to Poseidon from his rush attack and I can't figure out what triggers it. It's not a charge attack.

Elbo
Oct 9, 2012

OxMan posted:

Speaking of Let It Die, what other good roguelikes/lites are on ps4? I'm working away from home 12 hr shift days and games I can do a run or 2 of are the only ones I really have time to play. I've been playing GalakZ which in spite of being ugly as sin is actually super fun, I finally beat 2-1 this morning so I'm looking forward to finally seeing what's next. I also got The Long Journey Home, been doing the tutorial, hard game till you get used to its physics. I've had rogue legacy and binding of Isaac forever so I'm pretty done with those. I've heard some things about moonlighter, but I'm not sure it's my bag.

Moonlighter is like a less interesting knock off of Recettear, if you've played that. I enjoyed it enough to play it one time through which was maybe like 10-15 hours.

perc2
May 16, 2020

OxMan posted:

There are plenty of great roguelites available that a couple of "best roguelites" Google search will help you with, but if you or anyone is interested in as traditional a roguelike experience as you can on this platform, the pickings are truly slim from what I've played:

Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics is great; it's a reworking of One Way Heroics. Unfortunately it messed up a bunch of stuff from OWH, the best version is on PC called One Way Heroics+. BUT if you haven't played that I still think it's a really nice game and it has a bunch of features and polish too, you won't notice any problems without the other title to reference. The way it plays will seem strange at first if you're not familiar, but it quickly becomes intuitive.

Quest Of Dungeons is an extremely by-the-book roguelike with not much going for it, but could be a fun challenge if you get it on sale.

Caution with Dragon Fin Soup. At a glance it looks like the business, but (and apologies because it's been a few years), I remember getting seriously frustrated with it, like it has some fundamental issues that make it not fun to play.

Touhou Genso Wanderer -Reloaded- is a fairly decent roguelike in the vein of the Shiren style, and has a decent amount of content and classic mechanics to be enjoyable but the Touhou theme, for this goon at least, makes it much less enjoyable.

Dragon Fang Z is another Shiren style RL that doesn't have much going for it.

That's all I can think of for now. Like I say, slim pickings. The only game I'd really rate out of this bunch is One Way Heroics, which is definitely a must buy, the rest may appeal if you're big into trad roguelikes.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

beer gas canister posted:

What some interesting features in Shadow of the Wyrm? The tiles look but there's not much info on the site, or at Rogue Basin.

"What if more people lost it tried to make something like Omega and ADOM and Elona, instead of comparably endless *BANDs/puzzlers/Semi-Fushigi's/etc."

Singular dev vision, piece by piece getting a world built and adventuring to be had in it while being very friendly/receptive to feedback to further polish and enrich it. Tiles are relatively new even---IIRC the other prospective Big Something somewhere on the horizon is Music and/or Sound.

But in Big News: DAWN OF THE MEXICA is finally, nearly breaking upon us all in flagrant disregard of myriad time zones at work towards the end of the month:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456630/Dawn_of_the_Mexica/

quote:

Dawn of the Mexica is a challenging roguelike videogame based on the myths from the indigenous people of the Valley of Mexico in the age of the Culhua-Mexica Empire and the invasion of the spanish conquistadors.

Our story begins in a fateful morning, in which the sun god Huitzilopochtli hasn't risen...

-Pure turn-based roguelike with procedural level generation (different every game!) and character permadeath.

-Colored dynamic lighting. Light and shadows are essential in this sunless world.

-Extremely complex and realistic combat system. Every weapon and armor type combination is taken into account. There's more than a thousand detailed critical effects: Every part of your body can be injured or broken, burn and freeze. You can become blind. Or deaf. You may bleed, become stunned, knocked out...

-Complex character sheet with 9 stats, 12 Character classes, more than a hundred spells and more than 40 skills to choose from as you level up.

-Friendly and intuitive interface. You can fully enjoy the game either with mouse or keyboard.

-Weather/survival system. Even a torch may change temperature around you. Be careful not to freeze nor faint from the heat!

-Deeply researched. You won't find "ooparts". The mexica background is not "aesthetic". Weapons, armor, clothing and items from that era are recreated as faithfully as historical data allows.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Motherfucker posted:

misread this as Clown Trick and was excited for a moment.

I believe you might be interested in largely unheralded May release Dandy Ace? Haven't played it myself, though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ExiledTinkerer posted:

"What if more people lost it tried to make something like Omega and ADOM and Elona, instead of comparably endless *BANDs/puzzlers/Semi-Fushigi's/etc."

Singular dev vision, piece by piece getting a world built and adventuring to be had in it while being very friendly/receptive to feedback to further polish and enrich it. Tiles are relatively new even---IIRC the other prospective Big Something somewhere on the horizon is Music and/or Sound.

But in Big News: DAWN OF THE MEXICA is finally, nearly breaking upon us all in flagrant disregard of myriad time zones at work towards the end of the month:

I am intrigued by this.

583°C is very hot? you don't say

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

i'm a little skeptical of the kind of simulationist mindset that on the bright side goes "we should be painstakingly accurate to history and not indulge in cheap cliches" but also thinks that massive random crit tables is a positive and not a giant red flag re: RPG design

e: this came out a little more cynical than i meant it to be, the game could still be great, i'm just worried by what they chose to emphasize

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 4, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

sounds like aztec IVAN and hell, i'm in

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

perc2 posted:

There are plenty of great roguelites available that a couple of "best roguelites" Google search will help you with, but if you or anyone is interested in as traditional a roguelike experience as you can on this platform, the pickings are truly slim from what I've played:

Caution with Dragon Fin Soup. At a glance it looks like the business, but (and apologies because it's been a few years), I remember getting seriously frustrated with it, like it has some fundamental issues that make it not fun to play.

Yeah, I have dragonfin soup. It had the makings of something good but I think the game was abandoned on release so none of the bugs or graphical issues got fixed. Also on the vita. I wish I could find a physical copy of Shiren for Vita somewhere at that.

Gungeon was on sale so I bought that. Great stuff so far.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Has anyone tried Curse of the Dead Gods?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It is a good game, a different approach mind, but clearly building towards something solid---fair company with Dreamscaper in that respect, though each brings VASTLY different resources and design reckonings to the party. Both games love them some parries and deflects~

Latest Armory update spiced up the arsenal a fair bit alongside enabling gimmick runs...main thing it needs is more/new content as the existing pair of Temples have been there awhile even through their various modest renovations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I have been playing more of it lately after the latest armory update, adding a couple new weapon types did a lot to help, though it could still use more for sure. I do agree with the above post though, the 3rd temple in the next patch is sorely needed but there's no ETA for it yet. The next update after that is supposed to be the release one which will add the real final boss and mixed temples which should do a ton to increase run variety.

It's a fun game, though I'd put it decently high on the difficulty curve, at least compared to something like Hades.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

So this just happened on Spelunky 2. Not sure if it's a new thing or not, but I've never seen it before.

(I pushed Olmec's hover jets with the shield)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm trying to get an answer to a question about Synthetik but literally nobody seems to know the answer, even on their discord so I guess I can try here just in case.

Is there any way of telling which way a demolisher's resonance target will drift after you activate it or is it just random?
If feels like there's some kind of system to it but I can't figure it out.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If there is a pattern I have never discerned it. I think a lot of the weirdness comes from the way they interact with each other - they slide apart like physics objects, if that makes sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

megane posted:

If there is a pattern I have never discerned it. I think a lot of the weirdness comes from the way they interact with each other - they slide apart like physics objects, if that makes sense.

The only thing I noticed is that if there are several resonance points then the other ones will be pushed away from an explosion, but I haven't managed to figure out how the activated resonance point will drift.
Which is very annoying because sometimes I aim for killing something with like, grenade launcher shot - resonance - resonance but the first resonance explosion will make it drift away from my target and whiff completely.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Unexplored beta starts on November 11th!

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

on Epic right?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Flimf posted:

on Epic right?

Yeah :( I must have signed up for their mailing list/beta because they sent me a steam key for the first one.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

That's a shame.

Much like Darkest Dungeon 2, I would have liked to be part of early access, but the EGS is just too awful for me to ever buy a game on it.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
So how does the class unlock system in Golden Krone Hotel work? I've got my first win on normal, but I still have three classes left to unlock, and I don't seem to be getting any more progress bar updates.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

does world of horror have a release date? how has it been shaping up in EA?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I don't think there's a specific release date, but I think it should be sometime next year since they were originally aiming for Q4 2020.

As for how it's shaping up, I enjoy it a lot and I still load it up from time to time, but I think it's always going to suffer from limited replay value. It's a hard game, but it's possible to win reasonably often once you know what all the options do and what items you should get (and it helps when you unlock a couple of the useful city locations that are tied to achievements, which is definitely the worst kind of metaprogression). The combat's very basic and 99% of the time it really just boils down to choosing the appropriate defensive action and then stringing together as many accurate attacks as you can. It's still buggy right now (the broken save/load mechanic was temporarily removed outright in the last update, there's still a few bugs with the combat, etc.) but AFAIK it's feature complete. I think whether or not it's worth getting is entirely a matter of whether or not you're willing to pay $15 for 9 or 10 interactive Junji Ito comics. I think that's a great deal, but I'm a cosmic horror nerd and I love the game's look and music.

Also the ending is incredibly lame but I'm hoping that'll get jazzed up a little.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 9, 2020

perc2
May 16, 2020

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

does world of horror have a release date? how has it been shaping up in EA?

I think it's worth it, the price point corresponds to the 10 or so hours you'll get out of it. Most of the reviews are people complaining about the game design but let's not kid ourselves, this is the kind of game you put on a big screen with a bunch of friends, kick back with a beer, and just enjoy the weird scenarios and cool aesthetic for an hour or two.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The game is beautiful, the music is great, it's an okay game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

world of horror is great, but only if you're a fan of the vibe it's going for. if you have no inherent love for the style then i don't know why the mechanics would somehow be the thing to win you over.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I managed to get a win in Angband: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=23999

After my failed paladin run earlier, I decided since I wasn't using spells effectively I'd try just running a high elf warrior, and I made it down to DL 98 before dying to Wiruin the Maelstrom because I didn't teleport away after its first breath attack hit me and I ate a second. Then I decided I should try a dwarf priest, and after the first one died of a fatal wound on the first floor everything went pretty smoothly. Being able to spam banish evil and destruction made clearing vaults a lot easier.

I was having a hard time figuring out if I was ready to tackle the last two levels, but after reminding myself that I could just destroy everything and escape if I was careful I went for it. Took Sauron down with melee surprisingly easily, ran a couple more vaults for consumables, accidentally destroyed my wands of draining/annihilation with failed recharges, then extremely slowly took down Morgoth with my inadequate supply of arrows and a million orb casts. I'm not sure I really enjoyed that fight, but it was definitely tense - when I started burning through items and his health was barely moving I was starting to think about whether I'd go with ranger or mage for the next run.

I'll probably take a breather to play something else for a while first, but I'm pretty interested in digging through some of the forks or Moria at some point.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
GOG is giving away Teleglitch this week:

https://www.gog.com/game/teleglitch_die_more_edition

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
God Teleglitch was/is great. It's such an obviously small studio (single guy?) endeavor with a narrow scope and totally nails it. I'd pay good money for a patch/dlc that adds more radomization to it so that I can keep playing it forever.

It's realtime, but everyone in this thread should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
teleglitch is the only game i've ever seen whose aesthetic is so viscerally unpleasant that i literally couldn't play it

i can do mirror's edge without getting motion sickness or parse what's happening in a MvC2 match but i can't do that