Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Omobono posted:

1) I think exploring Eastward towards CKamelot is our best bet right now
Agreed. To KAMelot ! Let's hope it's not a model, or a silly place.

quote:

2) Maggot to 117, scouting 115 and 119. Ailei should follow. Search for trouble. If a village is revealed Ailei hands her survival kit to Maggot and goes there for shelter and diplomacy.

Also agreed. And I mean, if all else fails, we're in good shape so taking a couple points of damage on Ailei isn't the end of the world - we've got enough food to heal it back up over time.

quote:

3) I've been outvoted on practicality, so :shrug:. Consensus was an Empathy skill, I'd go for Motivation or Power Transfer. Ailei needs reliable terror removal and Maggot has some terror generation in his combat cards; Power Transfer is self-explanatory and all--around useful.

Motivation seems good short term, since both our characters have issues with Terror buildup. Out of curiosity however, what do you want practicality ASAP for ? I could be convinced to vote for that instead.

4) Snakebite is a LOT of damage quickly, both as a finisher (once we've bought Practicality one for 6 more xp) or if we can get that bonus slot to fire off into Hex. As a professional Mindthief IRL I'm very ok with "a LOT of damage quickly". It should replace Find Weakness which is the same only strictly worse.

De-escalation isn't quite as enthusing but it'll do as a middling, eh, better than not card. I'm not sure what to replace though. Risky Ploy probably ? That seems like a truly horrible card holy hell.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
East and west are mixed up, right?

1: East to Kamelot since we're already close to it. I think it is in the NE of where we are now.
2: If we head that way, I prefer visiting the B the First Farm together. The purple encounter we ran from was very scary, so I hope this next one will be more reasonable. Depending on what shows up, explore or keep moving.
3: It's hard to say what skills are good. Motivation makes sense to me since Ailei has trouble removing terror, and I think Maggot tends to have nightmares. So having a way to manage that seems alright.

Energy Transfer seems kinda fun, but I think we're supposed to let the original menhir go out. Just going off the math of maintaining menhirs... I don't think we can actually sustain all of them the entire game. And we don't have anything else to swap at the moment.

4: Maggot should take Defensive Posture. With the overpowered clansword, he just needs to buy time in order to win fights. This card combos, prevents damage, and can chain pretty well into other cards. I wouldn't mind if he got Snakebite since that's tons of damage, and burst is also a good way to win.

Ailei shouldn't be getting a diplo card, but... of these, Mystic Calmness seems fun. She'll have more options if she can block an energy loss or terror gain. I wouldn't mind if she got Deescalation either because that one combos easily.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

East and west are mixed up, right?
Yeah, I've fixed it now, but unfortunately I managed to mix up E and W in my original update, leading to some confusion in the first few votes. Luckily, the actual intent for the votes seems clear enough!

Mini-update recap

Votes so far posted:

1) General plan: going East, to Kamelot has a pretty commanding lead at the moment.
2) Exploration: we are most likely going to explore the First Farmhold (117) next.
3) Ailei Level up: we are most likely going to pick Empathy 3, selecting Motivation as our Skill - with Power Transfer and Coercion as distant seconds.
4) Card advancement: we are probably going to pick Defensive Posture on Maggot (with Snakebite in second position) and De-escalation on Ailei (with Mystic Calmness in second position).
There is a lot of consensus for each option on this vote, but since the absolute numbers are not huge, you can still influence the outcome, especially for vote number 4 and 3, so don't forget to cast your vote!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 2, 2020

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

That Italian Guy posted:

There is a lot of consensus for each option on this vote, but since the absolute numbers are not huge, you can still influence the outcome, especially for vote number 4 and 3, so don't forget to cast your vote!

I second the mini-update recap, my picks for 4 were the same, and empathy-motivation looks good.

1) East Kamelot
2) explore first farmhold
3) empathy 3, motivation
4) card advancement, defensive posture and de-escalation

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Expedition Log posted:

Current Location: Whitening (107)
Tasks: none!
Active Menhirs: Cuanacth Farmhold (101), 0 days left., Whitening (107), 6 days left.
Guardians: Bowmaiden (101) moves North! Wyrdbear (101) stands still!

Once a Menhir dial goes below 1, it is removed. The Menhir itself is removed the following day, if it has not been rekindled. I have also fixed the Food count (current: 5 each)

Vote Results posted:

1) We are going East, towards Kamelot to ask King Arthur and his knights for help.
2) We are going to Explore the First Farmhold (117) next.
3) Ailei is going to level up her Empathy to 3 and gain Motivation. Skills are on 2 sided cards, and if we choose one, we lose the other; in this case, by Chosing Skill 37 (Motivation) we lose access to Skill 38 (Unconventional Remedies)...not a big loss since we have Ailei in the party.

4) Maggot is going to get Defensive Posture (replaces Find Weakness) and Ailei is going to get De-escalation (replaces Risky Ploy).

Today's event is:

Whoever has the Adventurer's kit will be able to ignore this. We'll try to seek refuge in a settlement if at all possible.

Travel posted:

- We are Travelling to Location 117, First Farmhold. Each party member spends 1 Energy (current A:7, M:5).
New Locations revealed:
- 115, Titans' Steps, 119 Derelict Fleet

No settlements in sight, but there is an unlit Menhir in Titans' Steps! We send Maggot ahead to face the Purple Encounter alone, then we follow with Ailei, but it turns out it was an unnecessary precaution.

Encounter: Wandering Priestess posted:

We are not wounded, so we wave the Priestess goodbye and press on. Ailei joins us, now that we have "secured" the Location.
Maybe there's still someone here? Let's send our diplomat ahead to parlay.

Exploration: First Farmhold (117) posted:

- Ailei spends 1 (current:6).
Intro:

We are walking in the footsteps of heroes...let's see if they have left anything valuable around anything to help us on our own Quest.
Verse 5:

We can spare the Food (current A:4, M:5) and we have 3+ Rep.
Verse 11:

Hope this bit of information is worth the (current A:1, M:0)! Let's see what's up with the 1st Menhir.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:5).
Verse 2:

We have a new Task! I don't like the sound of screams in the night, so let's leave the fort to Maggot. We can have a look at the watermill, though.
- Ailei spends 1 (current:4).
Verse 9:

Strangers that want to give us free money? How quaint. They didn't have any but at least we got rid of the we had just gained. Time for Maggot to take over with the risky business.
- Maggot spends 1 (current:4).
Verse 1:

We are in the same location, so we move the Adventurer's Kit to Maggot, so that we'll only fail the test on a 1. We roll a 6 :v:
Verse 6:

Night screams, collapsed tents, blood all over. Good omens!
Verse 3:

1 Time Token added. Mmm looks like there is some kind of countdown going down. Better hurry! I guess the tents are the most likely candidates to find something not nailed down some clues.
Verse 4:

Alas, we are not Oldconan, so there's nothing useful for us here.
Verse 7:

There is 1 token for now. We roll a die and get a 2, for a total of 3. We're fiiiine. Back to Verse 3. There are now 2 Time Tokens at this location. We try our luck at the distant tent this time.
Verse 12:

We've gained quite a few Statuses this day; Maggot also got 1 Wealth (current: 1). We go back to 7.
Verse 7:

2 Tokens mean we're rolling with a +4 this time. We roll a 5 for a total of 9 :stonk:

Verse 134 (BoS):

Mystery solved I guess :gibs:
Maggot has 1 Caution and spends 3 (current: 1) to suffer "only" 2 (current: 6). If we were out of Energy, this could have been sooo much worse. There is now 1 Time Token here, and it'll be gone tomorrow. I do a bit of "inventory" management and pass the Menhir Rites secret and the Stagfather Charm to Ailei, while leaving the Adventuring Gear on Maggot; then Ailei seeks refuge from the Unnatural Chill in Whitening. This means, of course, that she'll have to convince them to stay.

- Ailei spends 1 (current:3) and travels to Whitening (107).

Diplomacy: Law of Hospitality posted:

This should be fast, hopefully. We draw our starting hand:

Ugh. We don't have an optimal play, so let's try to draw some cards.
- We Play Masterful Acting just to have some better connectors up for the following Round.
- Then we play Support to draw 1 card and we get Gather Clues - which would have been a powerful combo if we had it already.
- We can't play anything else, so we end our turn; the good people of Whitening move the Affinity tracker in the red and remove Support from the sequence.
- At the end of the Round, we draw Eye for Detail.

- We play Gather Clues and immediately remove the charge on it to gain a total of 2 . We also draw Empathise.
- We can't play anything else; during the enemy phase, we lose 1 and Gather Clues gets removed.
- At the end of the Round, we draw 1 card and get Bizarre Methods.

- Now we got them. We play Captivating Song and gain 2 . Since the Affinity Tracker is now in the Green, we don't lose any Rep.
- We have to spend 1 Magic (current A:1)point to be able to play Empathise and close the Encounter.

That was surprisingly hard. At least we got 2 Food (current A:6) for our troubles.

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 and loses1 . Well Rested! Energy is set to full+1 (8)
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 and loses1 . Exhausted! Energy is set to 5.
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 0.
- Maggot current Exp is 4.
Dream:
Maggot spins a Dial: gets a Skull! Maggot has a Nightmare

Tomorrow's Event is going to be:

Since we've messed up last time, we'll get a Diplomacy upgrade for Maggot and a Combat upgrade for Ailei to balance things out.

:siren::siren::siren:
VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1) What remains of the Farmhold: by tomorrow the remaining Time Token in Location 117 will be gone. We could go back and inspect (vote as many as you want, in order of importance; you can also vote against certain options to remove support from them):
- A the tents again now that we have the Stonemason's Secret Status.
- B the hole.
- C the pile of slimy rags.
- D or we could avoid the risk.

2) Next destination(s): vote the top 2 destinations you'd like to explore next:
- A Tangleroot (114).
- B Titans' Steps (115).
- C Derelict Fleet (119).
- D ??? (113).

3) Deck Advancements: please pick one card for each character:

We haven't seen the full content of these decks, but we should be able to pick based on the utility/power of the cards alone, especially since these decks are not going to see a ton of action. Given our previous level ups, it looks like we're not going to build Aggression on Ailei or Empathy on Maggot, so I'll remove something suitable from the decks to make room for these cards.

Explored Locations:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 3, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure the "band of stinky beggars led by a red-head" is the previous expedition from Cuanacht, the guys who left us letters.

1) A and C. We know what's in the hole.

C then B, "free" XP is neato, magic on Ailei as well.

3) Deck Advancements:
Searing Gaze is too funny to pass up. "Yo, guys, I think this guy is completely nutters. Better do what he says."
Toss up between Agile Defense and Target Weakness. I like big red piles, so I'll go Target Weakness.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kobal2 posted:

I'm pretty sure the "band of stinky beggars led by a red-head" is the previous expedition from Cuanacht, the guys who left us letters.

1) A and C. We know what's in the hole.

C then B, "free" XP is neato, magic on Ailei as well.

3) Deck Advancements:
Searing Gaze is too funny to pass up. "Yo, guys, I think this guy is completely nutters. Better do what he says."
Toss up between Agile Defense and Target Weakness. I like big red piles, so I'll go Target Weakness.

Seconding most of this. 2B before 2C, since Maggot risks losing all his energy to the wyrm.
Although I think Ailei should go to 115 through 114 so we scout 113.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Omobono posted:

Seconding most of this. 2B before 2C, since Maggot risks losing all his energy to the wyrm.
Although I think Ailei should go to 115 through 114 so we scout 113.

Fair enough, changing my own vote to this.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
1) What remains of the Farmhold:
A the tents again
then C the pile of slimy rags.
I think that nightmare is telling us to not go down the hole

Ailei trades one food for one weatlh from Whitening and then moves north to Tangleroot, scouting the 113 location.
Maggot does the First Farmhold thing and then, if he still has energy left, moves north to Titan's Steps
After Maggot gives a good idea on what is there to explore in Titan's Steps Ailei moves there too to explore and maybe turn on another Menhir

3) Deck Advancements: Ailei picks up Target Weakspot and Flash of Insight for Maggot

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Since at this point I am certifiably insane, on top of the Gloomhaven and Tainted Grail LP, I've just started a 7 week long SA Railroad Ink tournament :sparkles:
We are only updating once a week, so everyone should have time to play at their own pace. There's even a prize for the winner! So sign up and show the world your inner artist/city planner.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
The next day's event doesn't quite make sense if you end up having the ability to swap active menhirs and chose to light Whitening again. Cuanacht would've been A-OK in that case.

1: Whatever closes it out. Seems like A and C are what we're missing.
2: C followed by B. The guaranteed XP (from C) is nice, as is the free exploration (from B).
3: I like Agile Defense for Ailei and Flash of Insight for Maggot because both let you combo automatically and have decent effects. Agile Defense seems like it's good for buying time and boosting your next-turn chains and your card draw. Flash of Insight is similar.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 3, 2020

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Derelict ship's location card requires you to pay 4 energy for that +1 terror, +1 magic, +1 exp., doesn't it? It's not free.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Kanthulhu posted:

Derelict ship's location card requires you to pay 4 energy for that +1 terror, +1 magic, +1 exp., doesn't it? It's not free.
Yep, it's 4 Energy and 1 Terror in exchange for 1 Magic and 1 Experience.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Yes. By free exploration, I was referring to location B (Titan's Steps). The XP from location C is guaranteed.

Will edit to clarify what I meant

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mini-update recap

Votes so far posted:

1) Looks like we're going back inside the Fort and we're having a look at the tents (A), then the slimy rags (C). We are most likely not going to look in the hole (B).

2) We are most likely going to Titans' Steps (B), but Derelic Fleet (C) is a close second - it's a bit of a close race, and we may not have enough Energy to do both tomorrow given vote 1 current results. If the Steps win, we may move Ailei through Tangleroot (A) - probably without exploring - to scout Location 113 on our way to it.

3) Maggot's selection is a tie between Searing Gaze and Flash of Insight. Ailei's probably picking Target Weakness over Agile Defense.
Votes 2 and 3 are still wide open, so don't forget to cast your vote!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 4, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Don't have an opinion about the other two, but:
2B - Titan's Steps should be progress towards our goal of visiting Kamelot, and the Fleet's only obvious relevance is the ability to burn a lot of energy and terror getting a little bit of money and XP, which isn't really a great tradeoff.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The devs seem to value XP a lot. The arena next door to the starting area was 4 energy and 1 health for 1 XP. Our current party is the worst one at terror management, but it's still a good location in my opinion.
Like, if we had Beor I'd vote to have him camp the action for three or four days; but of course where did Beor get the magic for this path in the first place?

With our Ailei it's 6 energy for 1 XP/ 1 MP, a probably worthy trade. Maggot might have less immediate use but it's still 2 energy and 1 terror more than his passive for 1 extra XP.

I think Maggot should hit the wreck action a couple times in the next days while Ailei goes hunting. The encounters are still easy (plus the bowmaidens are friendly) and we just got a combat advancement.

Can encounters (in general) give XP as loot? I'm still going to push for Ailei's practicality, but we should probably boost her combat deck some in the meanwhile.

E: why is Ailei's passive out of settlements only? She can't store her herbs into a satchel?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 4, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

but of course where did Beor get the magic for this path in the first place?
Pummeling ghosts into submission with a giant mallet :black101:

Omobono posted:

E: why is Ailei's passive out of settlements only? She can't store her herbs into a satchel?
Ailei is committing some light witchin' when she heals people (knowing herbs is clearly witchcraft), and the good townsfolk of Avalon do not like witches, real or alleged.

Omobono posted:

Can encounters (in general) give XP as loot? I'm still going to push for Ailei's practicality, but we should probably boost her combat deck some in the meanwhile.
Without too many spoilers: yes, but they have to be serious ones.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 4, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Omobono posted:

Bold of you to assume she has a satchel to begin with.
We started our journey by literally going door to door to beg for food scraps, dude. We embarked on our massive, dangerous quest to save the realm from hellish beasts and the Wyrd without a loving *weapon*.

Let's face it : we're really far down the "hobo" spectrum of murderhobo.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So the thing about XP is that yes, it's valuable. Which is why repeatable sources come at a substantial cost. But it's a very substantial cost, basically a whole day's activity, plus hurting the person doing it, and we've already seen that exploring and completing quests nets us XP as well as other benefits. And we are on multiple time limits. So I would argue that using XP actions is not, generally, the way to go.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

malkav11 posted:

So the thing about XP is that yes, it's valuable. Which is why repeatable sources come at a substantial cost. But it's a very substantial cost, basically a whole day's activity, plus hurting the person doing it, and we've already seen that exploring and completing quests nets us XP as well as other benefits. And we are on multiple time limits. So I would argue that using XP actions is not, generally, the way to go.

I would agree in general terms, which is why I didn't ever push for using the Warrior Fair next to Cuanacht. HOWEVER, this one also lets us gain Magic, which is valuable both as a resource (to light menhirs and such) and to link cards & win encounters. And unlike moolah, food or reputation, magic doesn't seem all too easy for non-Maggots to come by. Plus we just picked up a skill that'll help nix the other cost/downside of the manoeuver.

Also, let's not forget that beyond its value as a location with an action linked to it... it's also a location period. As in explorable. One that the next menhir we light up won't cover.

All reasons why I reckon it's best to milk it for all its worth while we still can. All the moreso that our current timed quest (finding Kamelot and diplomancing its ruler) seems pretty easy on the surface (well, the first part is anyway).

EDIT : that being said, Omobono is also correct in that we should at least reveal 113 (and what we need to rekindle the next menhir) before sinking any energy anywhere

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 4, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kobal2 posted:

All the moreso that our current timed quest (finding Kamelot and diplomancing its ruler) seems pretty easy on the surface (well, the first part is anyway).

Yeah, without knowing anything about this game I'm already going to call that we'll find a Saber Alter situation.

For those that don't get the Fate/Stay Night reference: King Arthur corrupted by evil all the evils in the world.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Omobono posted:

Yeah, without knowing anything about this game I'm already going to call that we'll find a Saber Alter situation.

For those that don't get the Fate/Stay Night reference: King Arthur corrupted by evil all the evils in the world.

Oh absolutely, but we either can or we can't. And if we factually can't I expect the game's objectives to evolve to reflect that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

I would agree in general terms, which is why I didn't ever push for using the Warrior Fair next to Cuanacht. HOWEVER, this one also lets us gain Magic, which is valuable both as a resource (to light menhirs and such) and to link cards & win encounters. And unlike moolah, food or reputation, magic doesn't seem all too easy for non-Maggots to come by. Plus we just picked up a skill that'll help nix the other cost/downside of the manoeuver.

Also, let's not forget that beyond its value as a location with an action linked to it... it's also a location period. As in explorable. One that the next menhir we light up won't cover.

A skill which also takes time. And magic is both rarer than food and less useful, because we eat food in addition to using it for various costs, and so far the two uses we've seen for magic are 1) kindling menhirs (which vary dramatically in what they cost and how much) and 2) linking keys in combat, which we haven't much needed to do except on Maggot, who can source it directly. Just saying. We'll see how people feel about it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

malkav11 posted:

2) linking keys in combat, which we haven't much needed to do except on Maggot, who can source it directly. Just saying. We'll see how people feel about it.

Not just combat ! Ailei just used hers to diplomance gooder.
And sure, when all goes well, we don't need it. That's sort of the point. Magic is valuable precisely because it helps turn "well, poo poo" situations into "no worries !" ones.

Maggot can hunt fine on his own, he can explore mostly fine as well and so on (he's not even absolute poo poo at diplomacy) so all other things being equal, I'm saying leaving Ailei to fill up on magic and spending her energy on going super Sayajin and curing herself afterwards isn't absolutely terrible a notion.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Not just combat ! Ailei just used hers to diplomance gooder.
And sure, when all goes well, we don't need it. That's sort of the point. Magic is valuable precisely because it helps turn "well, poo poo" situations into "no worries !" ones.

Maggot can hunt fine on his own, he can explore mostly fine as well and so on (he's not even absolute poo poo at diplomacy) so all other things being equal, I'm saying leaving Ailei to fill up on magic and spending her energy on going super Sayajin and curing herself afterwards isn't absolutely terrible a notion.

I was lumping the two encounter systems together under the rubric of combat, but yes. It's occasionally helpful for both. But Maggot's deck has a much heavier reliance on magic for both systems than Ailei's, because he can get it as needed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Expedition Log posted:

Current Location: Whitening (A 107), First Farmhold (M 117)
Tasks: find who tried to repair the Menhir at the First Farmhold.
Active Menhirs: Whitening (107), 5 days left.,
Guardians: Bowmaiden (101) disappears! Wyrdbear (101) disappears!

Both Guardians have rolled the "X" symbol on their dice on their first activation. Today's Event is:

Vote Results posted:

1) Back to the Fort: We're going back and we're having a look at the tents (A), then the slimy rags (C).
2) Next Exploration: We're going to Titans' Steps (B); Ailei is passing through Tangleroot - without exploring - to scout Location 113 on our way to it.
3) Deck Upgrades Maggot's card upgrade is a tie, so we flip a dial...we get Flash of Insight (replacing Mind Trick). Ailei gets Target Weakspot (replacing Mock Retreat). Both cards removed fail to generate a massive advantage even when you get a positive dial flip; and Mock Retreat automatically blocks your combo AND presents you only with the bonus connector for the next round AND can only be played if a Practicality connector is open.

I've just realized that the art for Target Weakspot has Ailei kneeing a longsword wielding knight in the family jewels :black101:

Exploration: First Farmhold (117) posted:

- Maggot spends 1 (current:4).
Intro:

We are climbing the Fort once again.
Verse 1:

We only need a 2 to succed thanks to our Caution and Adventurer's Kit, so of course we roll another 6 :v:
Verse 6:

Verse 3:

We place 1 Time Token here and inspect the tents again, this time armed with the Stonemason's Secret.
Verse 4:

Verse 277 (BoS):

Not only we have gained 1 Exp on Maggot (current: 5), but we have also found the tools needed to repair the Menhir in Cuanacth, if we are ever to come back!
Verse 7:

There is one time token. We immediately roll a 5 :smaug:

Verse 134 (BoS):

Maggot has 1 Caution and spends 3 (current: 1) to suffer "only" 2 (current: 5).
The mistery of the Slimy Rags continues :v: Maggot is not going to be able to do much else today, but if Ailei has some spare we may have him meet her in Titan's Steps to get healed a bit. Missing lowers our available Energy (although since we're always exhausted to begin with it has had no effect on Maggot so far) and makes it easier for us to Go Insane.

Travel posted:

- We are Travelling to Location 115, Titans' Steps. Ailei spends 2 Energy (current: 6).
New Locations revealed:
- 113, Mirror Lake

That Location Action :popeye: Wonder who SHE might be...anyway we got a free/mandatory exploration once we enter the Titans' Steps.

Exploration: Titans' Steps (115) posted:

Intro:

We set a Dial to 3 and place it on top of this Location. Then we crack our diplomatic knuckles and try to talk this mob down.
Verse 8:

Hasta la Revolucion Actually Knights are good and we should probably try to save Gawain Excalibur's Scabbard, you say? :holymoley:
Verse 2:

This could be a super difficult test for another party; for us, it's Tuesday. We have enough Empathy (3) and Reputation (5) for this to be an automatic success. Unfortunately Maggot is not here to partake in the Exp (current A: 2) - even if we had travelled here, he would not have enough Energy to Tag-in. We remove the Dial and move on.
Verse 5:

The people seem to think that Arthur and his knights have abandoned Avalon to its destiny...maybe they have? Anyhow, we'll decide if we want to accept Gawain's Task. For the time being, let's visit the hermit caves.
Ailei spends 1 Energy (current: 5).
Verse 7:

Better refresh our knowledge of unlanded birds flight speed, at this point :v: Let's have a look at those cliffs.
Ailei spends 1 Energy (current: 4).
Verse 9:

Well then. Ailei gains 1 (current: 1).
We'll vote on what to do with the 2 remaining effective on Ailei. For now, we end the Day.

End of Day posted:

Rest:
- Ailei consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 . Energy is set to X (depending on the vote)
- Maggot consumes 1 Food, recovers 1 and loses1 . Exhausted! Energy is set to X (depending on the vote).
Advancement:
- Ailei current Exp is 2. She can afford a deck advancement.
- Maggot current Exp is 5. He can afford 2 deck advancements.
Dream:
Maggot spins a Dial: gets a Grail! No Nightmares tonight.

Tomorrow's Event is:

VOTE IS NOW OPEN

Vote Options posted:

1) Gawain's Quest: Gawains wants us to carry the Scabbard of Excalibur to the Tombs of the Order, where the rest of the Knights of the Round are allegedly waiting for it - wherever they may be. Are we:
  1. Accepting.
  2. Refusing.
2) What's left of the day: we have a few options here.
  1. Maggot travels North (spending his last Energy point), then Ailei heals him (and has full Energy for tomorrow).
  2. Same as A, but Ailei travels South instead - they will have to resolve a Purple Encounter.
  3. Same as B, but they spend their energy on conjuring up 1 Magic instead.
  4. Ailei spends 2 Energy to use Motivation on herself, removing 1
  5. Ailei spends 1 Energy doing something else (specify what), then banks the remaining point for tomorrow.
3) Next Destination. Please vote 1 option (if you want our party to stick together) or 2 options (if you want us to split apart).
  1. Regroup in Titans' Steps if we are not there already and light up the Menhir there, then explore Location 138 (currently unrevealed).
  2. Explore Tangleroot (114).
  3. Explore Mirror Lake (113).
  4. Explore Derelict Fleet (119).

Explored Locations:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

How exactly is Gawain still alive? Hasn't it been a couple centuries since Arthur & co?

We have a LOT of time. 6 days.
This new menhir is a freebie. 4 energy and 4 magic (so 8 energy).

We could
a) double back, repair the menhir in Cuhanacht, light the one in the mounds and go west. I think it'd take way too much loving time for this, but we could.
b) take our time and explore the lake and maybe talk to the Lady. Hopefully she's still friendly. Holy poo poo that action.

1) We're swiping Avalon (the scabbard) are we even questioning this? Actual completion of the quest optional. It's not like Gawain gave us a time frame and we don't even know where to go at the moment (there's totally going to be a gently caress you moment later on if we keep it).

2) Ailei travels westward and explores Tangleroot - hunting would exhaust her, otherwise I'd vote for that instead, we can remove the insanity with the lake action tomorrow; Maggot is missing just 2 hp, he can though it out.

3) C and D - I really want to see who's in that lake while Maggot can hold his own southeast.

Wait for skills on both our characters. I think Maggot should get an aggression skill before improving his combat deck a bit.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It has been centuries, yes. They do explain this, but we haven't seen the stuff that talks about it.

Note that accepting or refusing the quest ticks opposing statuses. I'm not going to vote on which direction but we should pick one of those statuses and stick with it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
1) When someone hands you a magic doodad you say yes. Plus if it really can cure disease we might get rid of the plague, so there's that. Oh, also heroing and stuff.

2) B and E : Ailei explores the Mysterious Dirty Rags (between her practicality, caution and the adventuring gear she should have no trouble climbing the wall), banks energy for tomorrow. Maggot only has a flesh wound, he can suck on his thumb for a couple days. I do want to see the Lake and its requisite moistened bint lobbing scimitars eventually, but we still have some time to do that before the menhir goes dark on us, and we might as well load up on craaaazy before we go and heal it all back up.

3) Explore Derelict Fleet (119). with both, one XP will get Maggot his first skill, and we want practicality on Ailei soonish too which will only take 2xp (here's hoping we get one exploring).

EDIT : oh, looks like the Tombs are marked on the map too, cool. We even know where the hell we're going.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
1) Gawain's Quest:: Accept.

2) What's left of the day:

Ailei spends two energy moving left twice to Mirror Lake, rests there gaining one more energy and explores the location
Maggot moves north and gains a free mandatory exploration on Titan's Step (it might yield some minor bonus to explore this place after the angry mob departed)

3) Next Destination. Feels like the characters should regroup on mirror lake and rest there a bit and maybe finish exploring it

Edit: I checked the map and Kamelot is just above Titan's Steps. Cool, we are pretty close to there. Should be a priority after exploring the mirror lake.

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 5, 2020

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Kanthulhu posted:

1) Gawain's Quest:: Accept.

2) What's left of the day:

Ailei spends two energy moving left twice to Mirror Lake, rests there gaining one more energy and explores the location
Maggot moves north and gains a free mandatory exploration on Titan's Step (it might yield some minor bonus to explore this place after the angry mob departed)

3) Next Destination. Feels like the characters should regroup on mirror lake and rest there a bit and maybe finish exploring it

Edit: I checked the map and Kamelot is just above Titan's Steps. Cool, we are pretty close to there. Should be a priority after exploring the mirror lake.

I agree with this, but my main interest is in exploring the lake so I'm open to anything that includes that.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
1: A Take the quest!

IMO, we're doing okay on sanity, so we can afford to wait on recovering that.

2: Custom Have Ailei go to Mirror Lake and have some free healing (and a chance to explore). Have Maggot go north to Titan's Steps and get his free exploration.
3: A I want to light the menhir soon. Assuming we succeed at the Mirror Lake exploration, I'd prefer to do it immediately. Otherwise, it's fine to wait a day or so.

EDIT: Oh, I like exploring the lake. Changing my vote accordingly.

NeoRonTheNeuron fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 5, 2020

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Oh - by the way, losing health does not make it easier to Go Insane. That's what happens when our terror hits the red "going insane" spaces on the terror track and is independent of our health value. What lower health makes easier is panicking. Any time a character's terror is above the bar of their current health marker, they are panicking and have two negative effects in combat and diplomacy:
1) the first card of their turn is played randomly from the top of their deck
2) they do not draw a card at the end of their turn.

You can still play 2nd and onwards cards at your choice and get draws from key linking, but not being able to plan what keys to make available for bonus keys from the first play makes that a lot harder.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
1A The grail is real, lets take a chance on some knights.
2B A backdoor into magic, right.
3B Food is always good.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

How exactly is Gawain still alive? Hasn't it been a couple centuries since Arthur & co?
400 years since the landing, yes.

malkav11 posted:

Oh - by the way, losing health does not make it easier to Go Insane. That's what happens when our terror hits the red "going insane" spaces on the terror track and is independent of our health value. What lower health makes easier is panicking. Any time a character's terror is above the bar of their current health marker, they are panicking and have two negative effects in combat and diplomacy:
1) the first card of their turn is played randomly from the top of their deck
2) they do not draw a card at the end of their turn.

You can still play 2nd and onwards cards at your choice and get draws from key linking, but not being able to plan what keys to make available for bonus keys from the first play makes that a lot harder.
malkav11 is of course right about Going Insane VS Panic.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
The reason Gawain is still alive isn't hugely mysterious, is it ? The game is called "Tainted Grail". As in the cup that's famously supposed to give whosoever drinks from it eternal life because *mumble mumble* Our Lord Jesus Christ *mumble mumble*. The tainted part probably refers to the cost of actually drinking from it, i.e. the entire land turning to poo poo.

Which would be a neat twist, come to think of it - as in we're told Arthur & Co. established human settlements by finding a way of taming the Wyrd and whatnot but... we're being told by people who weren't there and heard it from people who weren't there either. When you think about it, there's very little reason to settle a land *this* hardcore to begin with. Settling on a perfectly normal island and thoroughly loving it up through greed/obliviousness is a better, more interesting and believable tale. To me anyway.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 6, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
(Arthurian legend is generally also mixed with genus loci ideas where the land and its ruler are one and the same and affect each other. As in the Fisher King story.
It's a very old belief, which in part explains why back in the day when poo poo got *real* hosed up they would not only sacrifice people to the gods to make it stop, but sacrifice the king himself. Both as a way to tell the god(s) "this guy obviously is worth more than everyone else and his sacrifice will be felt by literally everyone so you know we ain't dicking you about here" ; but also because if the kingdom is that hosed, it's the king doing it and/or suffering the most from it.
Then the kings figured a way to not get ritually murdered every time the weather got bad and long story short that's why we French hide a plastic jesus inside an almond pie once a year.

All this to say I wouldn't be surprised if the final boss of the game is One-Winged King Arthur with a toothy vagina for a face)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 6, 2020

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Nice lorepost/speculation Kobal2! Speaking of lore, Tainted Grail has some obvious differences from the usual Arthurian tales, as we all can see - but let's talk a bit about Gawain.

Lorepost - Gawain

Gawain, the Maidens' Knight posted:

Contrary to what GIS would try to convince you of, Gawain was in fact not an anime hotboi - at least not originally - but his character is considered a ladies' man, in a lot of Arthurian adjacent folklore (one of his titles is, literally "the Maidens' Knight").

800AD's Chris Heimsworth

His name is probably derived from the welsh Gwalchmei, meaning either "Hawk of May" or "Hawk of the Plain". Gawain is often considered the quintessential Knight of the Round Table, an embodiment of all the chivalric virtues. He is nephew to King Arthur, being son to his sister, Morgause; and he is brother to the infamous Mordred. Gawain has a "Geralt&Roach" bond of friendship with his white charger, Gringolet and he is often depicted caring for him, or talking with him. In some depictions, Gawain is such a hero that he is even granted the honor to carry the sword Excalibur into combat.

Gawain, mounting Gringolet and armed with Excalibur, faces off against the Knight of the Lion, Ywain.

Gawain is notably the hero of one of the greatest works of Middle English literature, the alliterative poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, where he is portrayed as an excellent, but human, knight. In the poem, he must go to the titular Green Knight to, assumingly, be killed by the Knight. Gawain does this as it pertains to a deal made between the two without knowing that it is all a test by the Knight.

Gringolet has seen things, man.

While being depicted as a hero in most English/Scottish/Welsh sagas, later French stories see Gawain fall out of favor, being replaced as THE knight by either Lancelot, Galahad or Percival. In these stories, Gawain is depicted as a strict adherent to the rule of law, instead of being interested in the spirit of it. In some depictions, he even becomes an enemy to the main cast.

Medieval monks and anime agree: real men wear bangs.

Mini-Update Recap!

Vote so far posted:

1. Gawain's Quest: We are almost certainly going to accept the task to bring Excalibur's Scabbard to the Tombs of the Order.
  2. Rest of the Day: We are probably going to send Ailei to the Mirror Lake and Maggot to the Titans' Steps to get a free or "free" Exploration for both (Plan Kanthulhu). Alternatively, we are going to regroup in the First Farmhold, face a Purple Encounter and generate 1 Magic (B, 1 vote behind).
  3. Next Location to Explore: the Mirror Lake (C) is currently winning, but both Tangleroot (B) and the Derelict Fleet (C) are just 1 vote behind.
A lot of stuff is still on the line, so don't forget to vote!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
1A

2A

3A, but instead of moving east after we light the Menhir, wait and assess how to next proceed