Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My Shoretel vendor has been pushing for me to move to Mitel CloudConnect from our old Shoretel on-prem install, and I sort of don't care because the people I work for are always CLOUD CLOUD CLOUD but I would rather get a solution that I can have some confidence in. Cisco pitched me last year on a hybrid solution with a single box onsite and the rest in the cloud, and with their name brand recognition I will probably catch less poo poo if I go with them and things turn out badly.

EDIT: I'm open to recommendations!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Just use teams

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

Just use teams

Teams was a good phone system, my current place uses RingCentral and we pretty happy with it

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I agree, Teams is a

very good app, I haven't noticed any perf

ormance problems with it at all.

Pissing me off, jobs that want references in the initial application. It is 2 in the morning, I am not going to be texting people in the middle of the night asking if they'll be references for me, so now I have to leave this poo poo sitting open since you don't have a save and exit option for God knows what reason.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pissing me off, jobs that want references in the initial application. It is 2 in the morning, I am not going to be texting people in the middle of the night asking if they'll be references for me, so now I have to leave this poo poo sitting open since you don't have a save and exit option for God knows what reason.

I withdrew from consideration for a job recently because they wanted references midway through the interviewing process. I only give my references when a conditional job offer is made.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Collateral Damage posted:

Re:Signatures, my signature has never been anything more than name, title, company in plain text. Any request to change it has gone unread into the trash without consequence because gently caress you HR, get a real job.

Every company I've ever worked for has had a standard template and it always includes a company logo and phone number (which is also always your personal cell number now). I've never used any of them, I don't even have a signature configured. I use "- My Name" to end emails. If there's a special circumstance that warrants me giving more contact information than the perfectly usable email address they already have, I give that as said circumstance arises.

Current place also has a link to terms of service. You know, the things you don't actually accept simply via the act of passively receiving an email yet are still worded like you just signed your soul away. Sure, let's waste our time covering our rear end with completely useless words that don't even have any case law behind them after a decade.

This is not a hill I'm going to die on (though I may make an exception for my personal cell number), but I've never had my lack of signature brought up by anyone, management or IC, in my entire career. As you implied, nobody outside of HR (and marketing) appear to ever give a poo poo.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I hope it's not one of those lovely apps that will time you out after 60 seconds of inactivity and then redirect you into the void

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

Every company I've ever worked for has had a standard template and it always includes a company logo and phone number (which is also always your personal cell number now). I've never used any of them, I don't even have a signature configured. I use "- My Name" to end emails. If there's a special circumstance that warrants me giving more contact information than the perfectly usable email address they already have, I give that as said circumstance arises.

Current place also has a link to terms of service. You know, the things you don't actually accept simply via the act of passively receiving an email yet are still worded like you just signed your soul away. Sure, let's waste our time covering our rear end with completely useless words that don't even have any case law behind them after a decade.

This is not a hill I'm going to die on (though I may make an exception for my personal cell number), but I've never had my lack of signature brought up by anyone, management or IC, in my entire career. As you implied, nobody outside of HR (and marketing) appear to ever give a poo poo.

There was a time when our info sec manager decided any outgoing email with any kind of image in had to be held by the mail proxy, checked by someone in IT and then released if it was ok (I hated this job, I don't want to get involved in your poo poo and be the email police, but as you can imagine, certain people loved it)

Naturally, signatures did not contain images and occasionally you'd get someone who would come across some logo along the lines of 'I'm on the committee for (idk...) carbon neutral things, I need my logo!!' - Info sec always managed to win those fights.

Eventually, that info sec manager was moved on and the policy was removed. I recall a couple of instances where people would put loads of logos in their sig, seemingly because they can but stupidly but it in their reply sig so they got quickly challenged but it was never an IT thing, it was just kept with their own manager because it looked ridiculous.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo pissing me off:

My windows 10 PC has begun this irritating habit of the keyboard not responding when the lock screen appears. Every so often, but juuuust often enough to be irritating, when I hit the keyboard to bring up the login prompt to get back into my PC after the screen has locked there is no response.

If I unplug any usb device connected to the PC, the password block will immediately appears and all of the key presses that I’ve done will suddenly vomit forth. If I wait several minutes the key presses will appear on their own.

I’ve tried to eliminate all the usb factors and tried various combinations of usb hardware configurations to try to isolate the issue but no joy and I’ve resorted to a memory stick in a usb hub on my desktop that I just unplug and replug every time it happens like my own little reverse killswitch.

Hardware! :argh:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I withdrew from consideration for a job recently because they wanted references midway through the interviewing process. I only give my references when a conditional job offer is made.

This is a government position so I'm willing to take that as a reason it's weird, but sleeping on it made me wonder whether the pay raise and working for something I care about is worth having to go back into the office even after the pandemic.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We bought 3 Uberconference accounts

Everyone is fighting over them, and they are free, so the calls only last 45 minutes max. Then you get people signing in to one when people are still using it...

The solution: create 3 Outlook calendars so people can reserve them!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

We bought 3 Uberconference accounts

Everyone is fighting over them, and they are free, so the calls only last 45 minutes max. Then you get people signing in to one when people are still using it...

The solution: create 3 Outlook calendars so people can reserve them!

How is your organisation this cheap?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sprechensiesexy posted:

This is the way. There are few quicker ways to burn a bridge than for someone to receive a reference call without having been told it'll be coming and what the position is. And definitely don't do that if I've fired you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

How is your organisation this cheap?

Over the years he's been at least 3 jobs that have the same level of cheapness.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mllaneza posted:

This is the way. There are few quicker ways to burn a bridge than for someone to receive a reference call without having been told it'll be coming and what the position is. And definitely don't do that if I've fired you.

My references only consist of team leads/managers I had a good relationship with. The managers I dislike I don't respect enough for their opinion of me to be relevant to anyone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I'm going to apply for that job anyway. it's in an industry that I really would like to get back into, should pay well (although government job so probably a bit under market), the downside is it would be in-office but I'm considering another job for a company I would probably hate so if the price is right and I can maybe wrangle a WFH day I'll consider it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

I would literally rather give out my social security number than my personal cell phone number. My poo poo was leaked with Equifax, my SS# is already out there, and changing my personal cell phone number would be a bigger pain in the rear end.

You want me to put a mobile number in my signature? Fine, you better buy me a mobile phone and line.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
There's a recovery call going on right now with 200+ people in Teams because someone pushed a bad GPO to all Windows boxes and took down the entire company infrastructure, around 10k servers, by changing a default port. On US election night, the most critical night for business in 4 years. The CIO is in the call. lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are certain days where you absolutely never make infrastructure changes, no matter how sure you might be that nothing will go wrong. Because if it does, a thousand years of torment will be visited on you.

For me it's every Friday, boss has made it super clear if anything happens that delays the start of everyone's weekend there's hell to pay (and I don't mind this at all). But election day seems like a good one to add to the list too.. just tack that on to the list of major holidays to chill out on.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ouch. Rough. I agree, election days should be read-only. That being said, how do you deploy a bad GPO to 10k servers? Seems like it wasn't even tested.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Internet Explorer posted:

Ouch. Rough. I agree, election days should be read-only. That being said, how do you deploy a bad GPO to 10k servers? Seems like it wasn't even tested.

If it was Windows, likely a Tata contractor. Savin' the dollars!

This is literally the worst thing I have ever seen, my manager even called me which never happens. Au revoir clients, see you at Bloomberg.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

God damnit GitHub actions all I want is some logs that satisfy compliance. Reeeeeee

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
poo poo pissing me off: please don't give the responsibility of managing the MRP schedule for a location to person A of which you previously said we couldn't expect them use the system properly or follow procedures because they're older than 50. Also, don't say they'll be supported in this by person B of which you also said that we can't expect them use the system properly or follow procedures because they're older than 50, and for who we hired someone to do their system input for them (who was then moved to another location because person A couldn't stand her and made her life miserable). Person A is now asking how to make lines "disappear" from the MRP because she doesn't want to see them and I have to try and explain to her that it doesn't work that way.

Other poo poo pissing me off: people reporting errors because orders "disappear" and then you find out they're using the QA system instead of Live, only they don't even notice (even though it's clearly indicated on the screen).

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

There are certain days where you absolutely never make infrastructure changes, no matter how sure you might be that nothing will go wrong. Because if it does, a thousand years of torment will be visited on you.

For me it's every Friday, boss has made it super clear if anything happens that delays the start of everyone's weekend there's hell to pay (and I don't mind this at all). But election day seems like a good one to add to the list too.. just tack that on to the list of major holidays to chill out on.

I implement this rule too. I think I picked it up from this forum. It's a screw up of impressive proportions never the less.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Never deploy on a Friday" has been a hard rule for longer than the forums have existed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO has our second "town hall" Zoom meeting scheduled for this afternoon. He and his inner circle are Trumpers, on account of being wealthy bigots. I am not looking forward to hearing their political bullshit on top of the usual nonsense.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Corporate decided to roll out a change this morning that removes google chrome completely from the entirety of our enterprise making Edge our default browser. What corporate didn't test or more than likely just didn't give a gently caress about was that one of our EMR systems uses chrome and all shortcuts for that system are made to open in chrome, so when they removed chrome from everyone's PC, it also killed those shortcuts resulting in many many tickets being entered to our helpdesk because people could no longer launch the EMR.

What was SUPPOSED to happen according to our corp team was that chrome was only to be removed if the user hadn't used chrome in the last 30 days. The resulting thousands of tickets shows that, that in fact did not happen and they just removed chrome from 10s of thousands of devices.

So us techs at the hospital get to fix their poo poo while they get to sit at home and go whoops, our bad....

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What even is a pilot group

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mattfl posted:

Corporate decided to roll out a change this morning that removes google chrome completely from the entirety of our enterprise making Edge our default browser.

What was SUPPOSED to happen according to our corp team was that chrome was only to be removed if the user hadn't used chrome in the last 30 days.

What was the reasoning behind that one?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My old job, every department got cookies delivered yesterday.

Matches all the signs they have out front.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

Someone should go around and just bite the "T" off every cookie.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Bob Morales posted:

It would be a shame if they were used as, say, urinal cakes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently 50% of the country thinks he's a cool dude so maybe I should eat the cookies and it will brainwash me into not being depressed about it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

xzzy posted:

Apparently 50% of the country thinks he's a cool dude so maybe I should eat the cookies and it will brainwash me into not being depressed about it.

At this point, quite a bit less than 50%

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Potato Salad posted:

At this point, quite a bit less than 50%

Still way way way too many.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What was the reasoning behind that one?

Email from Corp.

In September, Microsoft Edge became the default browser for all *company name*-owned devices when accessing websites. The transition to Microsoft Edge allows us to have a simplified experience with web browsers on Windows devices.

To allow *company name* to have one primary browser for a streamlined user experience, we will begin retiring the Google Chrome browser from non-clinical devices beginning November 2 through December 31. This will be a phased retirement based on usage – we will begin with users who have not accessed Google Chrome within the past 30 days and then in incremented time frames thereafter (20 days, 15 days, 10 days, 5 days, etc.).

except the whole phased retirement didn't work at all and now they are rolling it back lol

edit: And now they are rolling the whole thing back because it hosed up soooooo many things! lol @ that team

mattfl fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 4, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

mattfl posted:

Email from Corp.

In September, Microsoft Edge became the default browser for all *company name*-owned devices when accessing websites. The transition to Microsoft Edge allows us to have a simplified experience with web browsers on Windows devices.

To allow *company name* to have one primary browser for a streamlined user experience, we will begin retiring the Google Chrome browser from non-clinical devices beginning November 2 through December 31. This will be a phased retirement based on usage – we will begin with users who have not accessed Google Chrome within the past 30 days and then in incremented time frames thereafter (20 days, 15 days, 10 days, 5 days, etc.).

except the whole phased retirement didn't work at all and now they are rolling it back lol

edit: And now they are rolling the whole thing back because it hosed up soooooo many things! lol @ that team

Were they also planning to update to Chromium Edge, or nah?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

Were they also planning to update to Chromium Edge, or nah?

Thankfully we are already on that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

sixth and maimed posted:

Other poo poo pissing me off: people reporting errors because orders "disappear" and then you find out they're using the QA system instead of Live, only they don't even notice (even though it's clearly indicated on the screen).

I get this, and it is why our Test and Production instances have wildly different color schemes.

I'm totally someone who would miss the "QA" at the corner of the screen. Or, worse, miss the "Production."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

I get this, and it is why our Test and Production instances have wildly different color schemes.

I'm totally someone who would miss the "QA" at the corner of the screen. Or, worse, miss the "Production."

It's like how a BSOD becomes an RSOD if you're running the dev branch of Windows 10.