Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh I get it. I could say “Hey HomePod-Siri, play the latest episode of blah podcast” and she’ll play it because she has the software needed to do that on the HomePod? If I did use Apple podcasts on my phone would that sync over to that app then?

The first part is "yes" but I can't comment on the latter since I don't use Apple Podcasts and don't have it on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
For anyone eagerly waiting for the adaptive lighting features of ios14 / HomePod to start working, I think it’s waiting on a hue firmware update.

But the same feature is actually already available in the hue app itself via a “hue labs” plugin. And it’s amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What’s the name of the formula on hue labs? I’m not seeing anything.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

wooger posted:

For anyone eagerly waiting for the adaptive lighting features of ios14 / HomePod to start working, I think it’s waiting on a hue firmware update.

But the same feature is actually already available in the hue app itself via a “hue labs” plugin. And it’s amazing.

Maybe outdated but: if you use hue labs you agree to all sorts of data collection and mining.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Anyone seen the minis on display at an apple store yet? I want to listen in person before I pull the trigger on a couple for the bedroom and bathroom.

Already have two full sized homepods paired up in living room and kitchen but like most people here I don't need that much sound in the other two rooms. That said, if the sound quality is a huge dip I might consider a mini for the bathroom and an on sale full-sized for the bedroom.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am also interested in the mini. Five of them could replace all my first gen Echo Dots.

Please don’t suck. Please don’t suck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

crackhaed posted:

Anyone seen the minis on display at an apple store yet? I want to listen in person before I pull the trigger on a couple for the bedroom and bathroom.
I think the original Watch was the only time they've put a new product up for display before it went on sale, and that was so people could try it on and see what worked.

Anyway, I'm going to get two.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

crackhaed posted:

Already have two full sized homepods paired up in living room and kitchen but like most people here I don't need that much sound in the other two rooms. That said, if the sound quality is a huge dip I might consider a mini for the bathroom and an on sale full-sized for the bedroom.

Am I the only one who doesn't find it an inconvenience to lug a small speaker around with me as I move around the house? Isn't that the point of getting a Mini, that it's very portable?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s not really designed to be moved around though.

There are 100 better options for that.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never even considered moving a smart speaker around as if it’s portable. I don’t think that is what the mini is for at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't find it an inconvenience to lug a small speaker around with me as I move around the house? Isn't that the point of getting a Mini, that it's very portable?
Considering they are wall-powered-only, they are clearly not intended to be portable.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Endless Mike posted:

Considering they are wall-powered-only, they are clearly not intended to be portable.

Holy way to read the thread, Batman...
Sorry, nothing to see here...

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Lol no. These things are meant to be placed unobtrusively around your home so you can just tell them to do stuff.

They have a hardwired power cable, and are (I think) covered in cloth, which will pickup dirt of constantly handled.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

crackhaed posted:

I imagine there'll be a decent dip cause...physics, but figure they'll be good enough hopefully. Thinking of getting two, either put both in my bedroom or just one there and the other somewhere else in my place.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Holy way to read the thread, Batman...
Sorry, nothing to see here...
Maybe they'll update the Beats Pill again one day.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
FWIW, I have been very please with a UE Boom 2 for the past three years. It does all the podcasts and music and is portable and waterproof. I doubt it does "hey Siri", but then my iPhone can do that, and that is nearly always in the room with me so I guess I still don't get it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The intercom feature is pretty neat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pick up a mini just now. It's smaller than I thought it would be and it's very neat. The power brick it comes with is hilariously big and also not at an angle of the power prongs so good luck trying to get this anywhere flush to the wall. Gonna have to get a replacement low profile brick for this asap.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Agree on the power brick. A real wall wart.

This thing sounds good and can get very, very loud. Way better sound quality than my Jawbone Bluetooth speaker. The HomePod has actually quite a bit of bass.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

How does the white color hold up to grime?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Picked up a couple Minis last night. They sound shockingly good for the size. The fullsize HomePod is still way better, but for what we're using them for, I can't complain.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Am I crazy for thinking about replacing 20 year old cd/radio/alarm clocks (kids bedrooms) with HomePod minis?

Play bedtime music, alarms, etc. would also allow me to get rid of a few echo dot 1Gs.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Endless Mike posted:

Picked up a couple Minis last night. They sound shockingly good for the size. The fullsize HomePod is still way better, but for what we're using them for, I can't complain.
I named mine "Talking Baseball," and for the size the sound quality is unreal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So you can ask for white noise / ambient sounds and also set a sleep timer so it turns off after X time but has anyone figured out how to automate the whole thing? I currently have a good night scene that turns off everything / sets a nightlight but I can't figure out how to add white/ambient noise and a sleep timer to it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried a Shortcut? You might be able to do all of that in one go via that route.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thwomp posted:

Have you tried a Shortcut? You might be able to do all of that in one go via that route.

Briefly but i hit a wall at the media selection. I can't seem to be able to browse/select the actual white noise / ambient sounds Apple uses.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Virtue posted:

I have two white original sized and they both look the same as day one because I almost never touch them.

If you're going to handle it a lot for some reason it'll probably show.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Virtue posted:

Would like to know this as well. I'm debating getting a couple for kid rooms and white is the only one available in store. I'd prefer the space grey due to gross kids, but eh.

e: Oh hey, grey just came back into stock like an hour after typing this post. Picking them up tomorrow.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 19, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got a pair of minis. These things are pretty cool!

The only thing that’s absolutely infuriating is that Siri thinks I’m saying “entercom” instead of intercom and won’t send messages 75% of the time. It’s pissing me off so much that I can’t tell my kids they eat farts from downstairs consistently.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got a pair of minis. These things are pretty cool!

The only thing that’s absolutely infuriating is that Siri thinks I’m saying “entercom” instead of intercom and won’t send messages 75% of the time. It’s pissing me off so much that I can’t tell my kids they eat farts from downstairs consistently.

How does the intercom work? Can I send a message from my iPhone (or Mac) but it only outputs to the HomePod?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

How does the intercom work? Can I send a message from my iPhone (or Mac) but it only outputs to the HomePod?

Yeah you can send messages to everyone and their devices (the message can play on your phone and even watch!), or to specific rooms. You can send messages from anywhere too, so you don’t just have to be in your house. It’s pretty slick, and honestly shocking after seeing what a disaster walkie talkie was on the watch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Never did get walkie talkie to work, maybe once when just messing with it in the same room with someone.

Is it basically like an auto play voice message then? And you can send from anywhere, but can you send to anywhere or just to somewhere/someone within the house? Just wondering how much people (I) can be a dick with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The people you want to send to have to be part of your home and have to have Intercom turned on to be able to send them Intercoms.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, there's permissions. I had to add my kids apple IDs to my "home," then specifically give them Intercom access. I set all the HomePods up under my apple ID during the setup process though.

Just wish Siri would stop thinking I'm saying "entercom" and failing. So loving annoying.

My daughter asked to play some music and it called her by my wife's name, haha. I'm not exactly sure how it "knows" which voice is which.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah, there's permissions. I had to add my kids apple IDs to my "home," then specifically give them Intercom access. I set all the HomePods up under my apple ID during the setup process though.

Just wish Siri would stop thinking I'm saying "entercom" and failing. So loving annoying.

My daughter asked to play some music and it called her by my wife's name, haha. I'm not exactly sure how it "knows" which voice is which.

Kids apple IDs?
Tell me more. Right now the kids just have my profile on their devices, but things like calendar and email and messages are all turned off.

Each kid is getting a mini for their rooms for the holidays. So if they need IDs, I should probably know how that works....

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Kids apple IDs?
Tell me more. Right now the kids just have my profile on their devices, but things like calendar and email and messages are all turned off.

Each kid is getting a mini for their rooms for the holidays. So if they need IDs, I should probably know how that works....

Just create Apple IDs and set their birthday correctly (I sometimes make them 18 for certain apps to get around annoying limitations). Under iCloud settings you can invite family members and set limitations and stuff.

You’ll need IDs for your kids if you want it to recognize their voices. Not sure if they will need their own phone to make it work though (don’t know your age range, mine are all rear end in a top hat teenagers). Seems I had to put the Home app on all my kids’ phones.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

The people you want to send to have to be part of your home and have to have Intercom turned on to be able to send them Intercoms.
Ok I get that part, but do they physically have to be home/connected to the home network, or will it intercom them anywhere?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

Ok I get that part, but do they physically have to be home/connected to the home network, or will it intercom them anywhere?

That’s an option

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Just create Apple IDs and set their birthday correctly (I sometimes make them 18 for certain apps to get around annoying limitations). Under iCloud settings you can invite family members and set limitations and stuff.

You’ll need IDs for your kids if you want it to recognize their voices. Not sure if they will need their own phone to make it work though (don’t know your age range, mine are all rear end in a top hat teenagers). Seems I had to put the Home app on all my kids’ phones.

Yeah, five and ten here. I think they can make the regular HomePod we already have work, and it’s not important to have it know who is who. I have personal requests turned off.

Maybe I’ll just make do without kids ids for a little while longer.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Google Home can’t even do simple math, it just says “sorry, I don’t have any information about that.” But Siri has no probs with math. I finally found something that HomePod does better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

LuckyCat posted:

Google Home can’t even do simple math, it just says “sorry, I don’t have any information about that.” But Siri has no probs with math. I finally found something that HomePod does better.

Are you sure? I just asked my Google Home what 23 times 3 was and it performed nicely