Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
D’Angelo Wallace put out an hour long about Blaire White being absolute garbage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4qvPouh1gE

It’s genuinely refreshing to see youtubers outside of the “breadtube” bubble call her out like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kim Justice posted:

Funny that we've kinda gone from World Cham,pion vs A FREAKING SUPERCOMPUTER to more laid back GM's (inc. occasionally the current world champ) gooofing online and actually making Chess big on Twitch. It doesn't seem quite as intimidating and stuffy nowadays.

Which has, naturally, pissed off a ton of people in the chess world because they feel their exclusive club for the thinking man is now being opened up to twitch zoomers who lack the intelligence to truly appreciate the game. Which is a real :ironicat: position to take when the current World Champion likes to spin up Chess.com accounts with all the nuance of xXxWeedLord69xXx and get drunk on stream clowining randos who have no idea who they're playing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

Which has, naturally, pissed off a ton of people in the chess world because they feel their exclusive club for the thinking man is now being opened up to twitch zoomers who lack the intelligence to truly appreciate the game. Which is a real :ironicat: position to take when the current World Champion likes to spin up Chess.com accounts with all the nuance of xXxWeedLord69xXx and get drunk on stream clowining randos who have no idea who they're playing.

It's kinda funny seeing the old guard all up in arms while Magnus, Nakamura, Anish and many other Super GMs are super attuned to streamer culture. Chess is going thru a weird transition period where it might legit become an esport.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I see that half the content creators I follow are melting down about the election. Nice.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Equeen posted:

D’Angelo Wallace put out an hour long about Blaire White being absolute garbage:

Watched this over my lunch break. Was actually really impressed that D'Angelo took the opportunity to address his own biases and previous transphobia, that's rare for the big content creators.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, chess is this weird thing. It gained all this huge cultural prominence because it was a complicated game where you can have really advanced tactics, and somehow this turned into an idea that chess was just a great way to demonstrate overall tactical thinking ability. So this entire infrastructure started to build around it with global ranking systems, and being a chess grandmaster was seen as shorthand for being a genius. Child chess prodigies (like Bobby Fisher) were put in the same category as Einstein. But in the end chess is just a game in the same way League of Legends is just a game, and being really good at it is cool but doesn't really carry over into any other aspect of your life. (Except potentially permanently loving you up if you start believing your own press.)

It's interesting to compare IBM's Deep Blue publicity stunt with the Watson publicity stunt. There were a lot of similar kinds of slight-of-hand, "we're not saying that this is closer to general Artificial Intelligence than it really is, but we'll gladly let the media speculate about it" moments.

Back in the day my AI prof would repeat the line "As AI researchers, we've learned the definition of intelligence as 'whatever computers can't do'", because the goalposts constantly move once an expert system beat humans. Going through a degree program focused on AI at the time of Deep Blue versus Kasparov, AI researchers (on both the computer and psyc side) were both totally ambivalent to it other than publicity and a technical challenge. The computer science side realized chess was a "solved" problem, but just needed sufficient processing power, and really the only interesting part was trying to bridge brute force and heuristics by "teaching" a computer what valuable board positions looked like in a generalized sense. On the psyc side, their attitude was "perfect anything isn't intelligence, it's optimization. We want systems that make the same mistakes as humans to teach us something about human intelligence."

At the time, if Feng-Hsiung Hsu was particularly bummed out about the whole thing, it didn't show; he came to our school for a lecture series about it and overall seemed upbeat, though maybe that was the victory lap talking. The only remark from then that stuck out which differs from the history account a bit was he was rather dismissive of the current state of Deep Blue, and said something to the tune of "I don't know, I think they're using it to model traffic patterns now".

So much of that was rapidly becoming obsolete; rule-based expert systems were seen as the dinosaurs, with neural networks being the academic hotness at the time. Towards the end of my undergrad the juggernaut of Big Data was arriving on the horizon; dump truckloads of computing power onto tons of data and let it figure out how to find the best answer. On one hand, it worked really well, on the other it created black boxes that meant you couldn't figure out *why* it had the answer.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Here's some C O N T E N T to distract you all from the elections! :shepface:

Thew Adams takes an early sneak peek at Studios Series Kup!

https://t.co/qzDzcYBYOp?amp=1

Quinton Reviews takes a look at fictional presidents from media

https://t.co/81UEr5Oyka?amp=1

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Glad he ended on the Gaiman Prez story which is probably up there for best issues of The Sandman (I still like the Emperor Norton issue more imo)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I was hoping based on the intro that he would actually be talking about Funny Valentine and the president from Sonic Adventure 2 :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziUH_vyT1yg
Danny Gonzalez talks about his viral Tik Tok video giving some behind the scenes info and answering questions.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, chess is this weird thing. It gained all this huge cultural prominence because it was a complicated game where you can have really advanced tactics, and somehow this turned into an idea that chess was just a great way to demonstrate overall tactical thinking ability. So this entire infrastructure started to build around it with global ranking systems, and being a chess grandmaster was seen as shorthand for being a genius. Child chess prodigies (like Bobby Fisher) were put in the same category as Einstein. But in the end chess is just a game in the same way League of Legends is just a game, and being really good at it is cool but doesn't really carry over into any other aspect of your life. (Except potentially permanently loving you up if you start believing your own press.)

It's interesting to compare IBM's Deep Blue publicity stunt with the Watson publicity stunt. There were a lot of similar kinds of slight-of-hand, "we're not saying that this is closer to general Artificial Intelligence than it really is, but we'll gladly let the media speculate about it" moments.

with chess being a top-tier esports (can I echo that it is legitimately refreshing after years of over-the-top GAMER stuff like League and Dota?) I would really love to see an in-depth rise and fall of Bobby Fischer video.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I hate how much the US elections influence stuff otherwise, but please do vote out cheeto.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I can't remember if it was this thread or the meme thread that introduced me to tomatoanus today. If it was this thread: thanks, this is cool! If it was the meme thread: check him out, he makes cool speedrun videos! I hope he isn't a weird bigot like a lot of speedrunners seems to be for some reason!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The main thing I get from that Some more News video is: what the HELL is going on in the Super Mario Brothers movie? :psyduck:

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 4, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

nothing but good things

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

They're arresting a guy, just for being a plumber!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Augus posted:

nothing but good things

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
If you're looking for some long-ish videos and are a tremendous nerd who replaces video games with a personalty, like myself, you might find AesirAesthetics' analyses of the King's Field games super interesting:

King's Field 1 (the real 1):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruD8YUQI6Bw

King's Field 2 (King's Field 1, internationally):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiDLxRMi-VY

King's Field 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u2h4LSRiz4

King's Field 4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQS0JtOtkS0

He'll also be doing Shadow Tower in a few months to cap out the pre-Demon's Souls spiritual successors. They're all fascinating deep dives into a lot of the same themes and design choices that have cropped up in all the modern From Soft games from DeS through Sekiro.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the Shuffle Master opens some Final Fantasy TCG packs, with a special guest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Sh6xiS0Qo&hd=1&t=1467s

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

stillvisions posted:

At the time, if Feng-Hsiung Hsu was particularly bummed out about the whole thing, it didn't show; he came to our school for a lecture series about it and overall seemed upbeat, though maybe that was the victory lap talking. The only remark from then that stuck out which differs from the history account a bit was he was rather dismissive of the current state of Deep Blue, and said something to the tune of "I don't know, I think they're using it to model traffic patterns now".

A friend of mine was a product manager for Watson at IBM, shortly after the Jeopardy thing and as they were turning it into an actual product. He finally quit in disillusionment, and he told me "This technology was supposed to change the world, help doctors diagnose better cancer and stuff. Instead, it's just doing customer support chat".

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Hey, does anyone need an hour and a half long breakdown and ranking of every single 44 Scooby Doo movies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egly8F-ZCaY

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mycot posted:

The main thing I get from that Some more News video is: what the HELL is going on in the Super Mario Brothers movie? :psyduck:

The people who say Hollywood shows us the planned future for the world are half-right in that it's only the Mario movie that does that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I remember I once saw a cool picture of a prop cop car from the alternate New York in the Super Mario Bros. movie. It had a thing sticking off the top of it to connect it to a power line like a cable car, because in the alternate universe the dinosaurs never died out, so OBVIOUSLY there’s no oil and therefore no gas. Ever since I saw that I’ve found myself imagining a Super Mario Oddyssey world based on the aesthetics of that movie.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Hey, is there any videos out there on Torchwood besides Alison Pregler's Manic Episode?

https://youtu.be/UYvKOmG91iE

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SFdebris also did at least Miracle Day, and was not terribly impressed. It feels like something Hagan would have done, but I'm not sure if she has.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I have disagreement on how good series 3 of Torchwood was but I've yet to find a person who at the very least had mixed emotions on Miracle Day.

But thank you for the tip!

EDIT: Now I don't have to watch Miracle Day? But why the hell start with the fourth series?

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 4, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's outside of his normal series so it was done on commission, presumably by someone with strong feelings about Miracle Day.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Is it weird that I find Dr Who and its spin offs absolutely facinating and will lap up any online content criticising or extoling the virtues or episodes/seasons/showrunners but every time I try to watch it myself it bores me to death? Like I can't get past how inconsistent and rubbish the show is to even care one way or the other?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Torchwood literally started with one of the principle characters committing sexual assault, so, yeah, there's that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I remember trying to watch Torchwood on Netflix, and being bored out of my mind. I think I watched 2-3 episodes, but my brain immediately forgot everything after I stopped. The only impression I have left is of a more boring version of Dr. Who.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Torchwood was supposed to be "Doctor Who for adults" but they interpreted "for adults" as "with sex and swearing," two things Doctor Who really did not need to begin with. If you want to watch any of it season 3 is generally considered the best by far, and it's not really all that great IMO (I'm saying this as someone who was a big fan of Doctor Who at the time). The rest of it ranged from medicore to complete and utter garbage.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I must disagree with my colleague, Mr. Radar. Torchwood is that special flavor of "bad but so good."

Like, if you are tickled pink about a cyborg fighting a dinosaur? This is the series for you! Like queer representation? Congrats all the main charecters are bi!

Series three was "dark and gritty" TM shock value garbage.

And the sexual assault is a joke that aged Incredibaly poorly, and it was poo poo to begin with in 2006. No one does anything like it again, nor is it brought up.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 4, 2020

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Is it weird that I find Dr Who and its spin offs absolutely facinating and will lap up any online content criticising or extoling the virtues or episodes/seasons/showrunners but every time I try to watch it myself it bores me to death? Like I can't get past how inconsistent and rubbish the show is to even care one way or the other?

I feel the same way, and for me it comes down to how sloppily it’s written most of the time. Hamfisted social commentary, thinly-sketched guest characters, plots that make no sense, out-of-place camp humor… it’s like they keep trying to find new ways to gently caress up, but that variety also makes it interesting to dissect.

But sometimes, just sometimes they get everything right and the result is brilliant. Generally the show is at its best when it’s doing horror and suspense, so long as it can resist the urge to spoil the moment with a dumb joke. Horror also lends itself to being made cheaply, which is a better fit for its limited BBC budget than the epic adventure it so often attempts.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I think part of it is that I'm 100% down for campy nonsense but the hyper serious stuff about how the doctor did a war crime or is so sad just bounces off me.

However sometimes the show manages to produce a compelling trainwreck of an episode thats imposible to take your eyes off. Iirc I gave up sometime early in Tennant's run but I don't think I enjoyed any post Eccleston episode more than Absorbaloff, the episode's villain was based of the winning entry to a Blue Peter design-a-monster contest. The the winning monster was designed by a 9 year old child. The episode ended with one of the victims of Peter Kay being reduced to a still living face trapped on a floor tile and proceeded to heavilly imply that blowjobs were still on the menu for the floor tile face's boyfriend.

I feel like from what I've seen of Torchwood is that its just Dr Who but with the already insane tonal shifts turned up to 11, where every episode is either an Absorbaloff level mess of writing that feels like its from a childrens show but the characters gently caress all the time or its a special miniseries about an alien in a box and Jack has to do the trolley problem with the life of his own kid versus the enslavement of 50% of the earths population of children.

I guess because the franchise is all over the place I need other people to pick out all the coherent serious bits and explain them to me to be able to engage with it at all, unless its being completely bonkers in which case I'm here for the ride.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1324129479208456193

Joe Biden is going to end the era of the Ballasck Beard YouTuber. thank You God and jesus For President biden

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1324129479208456193

Joe Biden is going to end the era of the Ballasck Beard YouTuber. thank You God and jesus For President biden

Isn't Crowder part of Glenn Beck's BlazeTV? He's literally a corporate Youtuber. Not an independent bone in that man's body.

Also, if Section 230 were to be reformed Youtube would get torpedoed by the courts for hate speech and intimidation immediately. It's the only thing that keeps channels like these afloat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

by independent they mean not part of the mainstream media, and by mainstream media they mean the one that reports things they don't like. and by reform they mean the republican bill to remove immunities from platforms unless they swear to the ftc that they will stop discriminating against political beliefs by kicking people off their platform for things like hate speech and intimidation.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

JordanKai posted:

Isn't Crowder part of Glenn Beck's BlazeTV? He's literally a corporate Youtuber. Not an independent bone in that man's body.

Also, if Section 230 were to be reformed Youtube would get torpedoed by the courts for hate speech and intimidation immediately. It's the only thing that keeps channels like these afloat.

I was working support for Apple way back in the day when Crowder was still a small-time diy guy, and had a call with him where he was melting down about trying to find "the panel" to update the settings for his podcast listing on the iTunes Store. He thought there was some secret login that would allow him to access a control panel where he could update things on his listing, but (as was explained in the podcast host FAQ) everything was just scraped from the podcast feed and if he wanted to make any changes he just needed to update them in the feed.

He was such a dick on the call that his name was burned into my brain, and it was a real surprise years later when he started to get all this mainstream attention.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
So Jarvis Johnson's latest video, is he aware that the whole video he's watching appears to be a clearly scripted bit to drum up some publicity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

who the gently caress is jarvis johnson