Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

its kind of a consistent problem with youtube channels, but all the circumstantial evidence for me points to it actually just being that one guy. I don't really know how much money it costs to produce a channel like that, but I imagine if he can get tech help from within Nigeria it would really cut down on labor costs.

In contrast to highly political channels, it has a a slow upload cadence. That is going to hurt it with the youtube algorithm in a way sophisticated propaganda channels know how to avoid. It's barely uploading one video a month.

I'd be more concerned the author just doesn't know what he's talking about rather than is part of an active psyop. But he seems fairly active online so you could probably just ask him for more background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fair enough- sorry, the last few years've got me instinctively asking all this.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm listening to the video on the Biafran war and by his accent I can tell he went to college and maybe high school North America

edit so far, dude is legit. no red flags that i've seen, and in fact I strongly recommend giving this a view if you're in any way interested in the immediate postcolonial history and basic demographics of the country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JCvIvb8PpY

:siren: if you have just a minute, skip to the interview at 9:55.

nigeria's changed a lot since then, but the ethnic stereotypes are still there. what i saw people express about others in 2012-2013 was remarkably similar to attitudes fifty years before

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 6, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now that i've watched more, he's taking a pro-igbo slant. he doesn't go into any material basis for these events. the poor, undeveloped north wanted a strong central government to direct revenue across the whole country, while the oil-rich and colonially-developed southeast resisted any sharing of the wealth. he's giving one side a short shrift

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
At least based on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUBXW6SjuQA
and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRsFT11CxSk

it seems like he has quite a bit of a neoliberal slant to his videos, which is extremely common amongst the educated classes in third world countries.

ediet: it also seems like he's not anti-china either so I don't know.

ToxicAcne fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 6, 2020

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
The breakaway region of Somaliland has established diplomatic relations with Taiwan.

https://allafrica.com/stories/202007050114.html

I'm a Somali immigrant to the U.S. I lost connection with Somali culture a few years after moving into an area of the U.S without many Somalis, and quite frankly given how the rug was pulled underneath my feet from a secure middle class lifestyle in Mogadishu and becoming a refugee etc I kind of came to mistrust anything Somali.

Well fast forward twenty five years and as I'm starring at middle age suddenly I have appreciation for my culture/ethnicity/language etc (which I've unfortunately forgot though I think I can pick it up again with a year or two of constant practice.)

There was this Canadian Somali lady very much in my life situation (a few years older) who returned to Somalia and started making videos that allowed the Somali diaspora to reconnect with their home. This was an example vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px88-hUsBTU

I liked this lady and interacted with her a few times on twitter.

She was killed last July in an Al-shabaab terrorist attack on a hotel in Kismayo. I was despondent for weeks.

ps: the current president of Somalia (President Farmajo, italian nickname) was a bureaucrat New York Department of Transportation and used to be a registered Republican.

IbrahimSom fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 6, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's great to have you here, we need more African voices in this thread and in this forum in general.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Has anyone found any good us-centric articles or takes on the current conflict between the state and the local islamic extremist in gaz-rich north Mozambique? Beside a few good Allafrica articles i have found next to nothing in the english web and most of those articles were a translation from news in Portuguese. Apparently the Tony Blair Institute and the US State Department call it "Islamic State terrorism" but since there is currently a repression of journalism in Mozambique by the government, not a lot get out.
I remember reading this in April, not very analytical, but it does highlight the fact that no one really knows where these guys come from: https://www.barrons.com/news/extremists-in-northern-mozambique-declare-goal-of-caliphate-01586777406

In addition to the South African mercenaries, Russia is sending mercs from the Wagner Group as well. Things are looking pretty ugly over there.

BTW, allAfrica mostly just aggregates articles from African papers and Western news sources like wires. They do have some original content occasionally though.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

it seems like he has quite a bit of a neoliberal slant to his videos, which is extremely common amongst the educated classes in third world countries.

ediet: it also seems like he's not anti-china either so I don't know.

supporting foreign direct investment (FDI) is like the most neoliberal thing ever. The real shocker would be if a neoliberal was against it.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

IbrahimSom posted:

The breakaway region of Somaliland has established diplomatic relations with Taiwan.

I'm a Somali immigrant to the U.S. I lost connection with Somali culture a few years after moving into an area of the U.S without many Somalis, and quite frankly given how the rug was pulled underneath my feet from a secure middle class lifestyle in Mogadishu and becoming a refugee etc I kind of came to mistrust anything Somali.

Well fast forward twenty five years and as I'm starring at middle age suddenly I have appreciation for my culture/ethnicity/language etc (which I've unfortunately forgot though I think I can pick it up again with a year or two of constant practice.)

There was this Canadian Somali lady very much in my life situation (a few years older) who returned to Somalia and started making videos that allowed the Somali diaspora to reconnect with their home. This was an example vid:

She was killed last July in an Al-shabaab terrorist attack on a hotel in Kismayo. I was despondent for weeks.

ps: the current president of Somalia (President Farmajo, italian nickname) was a bureaucrat New York Department of Transportation and used to be a registered Republican.

you’re the third Somali person I met on here.

AUN

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

IbrahimSom posted:

Vice did a doc on a lot of Somalians returning to rebuild their country of origin after like 10 - 30 years of not being "Somali" as you said. It's a pretty interesting example of the migrant cycle re benefiting the old country. I really hope somalia propels itself forward with returning Somali Americans.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Vice did a doc on a lot of Somalians returning to rebuild their country of origin after like 10 - 30 years of not being "Somali" as you said. It's a pretty interesting example of the migrant cycle re benefiting the old country. I really hope somalia propels itself forward with returning Somali Americans.

Somalian isn’t a word.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/tito_mboweni/status/1282774702377840646

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

PawParole posted:

Somalian isn’t a word.

I'm sorry. I didn't catch that mistake. Many Americans say Somalian so I hear it often enough to accidentally use it. Somali is the correct pronoun

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/_yasmin_ahmed/status/1292151313023873024?s=21

It deeply enrages me that our Marxist Leninist dictator was infinitely better on woman’s rights than whatever the gently caress is going on now

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Professorjuggalo posted:

https://twitter.com/_yasmin_ahmed/status/1292151313023873024?s=21

It deeply enrages me that our Marxist Leninist dictator was infinitely better on woman’s rights than whatever the gently caress is going on now

the bill has a very small chance of passing ( like two mps support it) and its a Romeo and Juliet law.

do you speak or read Somali? because the twitter poster above doesn’t.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

PawParole posted:

the bill has a very small chance of passing ( like two mps support it) and its a Romeo and Juliet law.

do you speak or read Somali? because the twitter poster above doesn’t.

Yeah my mom said the same thing, and no I can only speak it and not read it. I was forced to learn how to read and write Arabic instead (but can’t speak it)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
poo poo is happening in Mali, a coup perhaps.

https://twitter.com/lsiafrica/status/1295697286727688193

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It was a mutiny and it looks like it was put down. But that may not be the end of it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Amadoumtraore/status/1295776098224144384

President Keita has been arrested by the military.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

France sighs and reaches for their katana

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Ahh that explains why South West Burkina has gone up in risk rating for France. Hopefully it stays a local thing .

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kustomkarkommando posted:

France sighs and reaches for their katana
Will it become customary for each new French President to militarily intervene in West Africa?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
... but France is already intervening in there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Barkhane

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

this is, what, the third time one of my posts ITT has aged as poorly as possible

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Realistically France will probably leave the heavy lifting to ECOWAS like in 2012 - I don't think they are particularly attached to Keïta but will definitely want to sideline Dicko (which I think a few countries in the region will agree with)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

Realistically France will probably leave the heavy lifting to ECOWAS like in 2012 - I don't think they are particularly attached to Keïta but will definitely want to sideline Dicko (which I think a few countries in the region will agree with)

I wasn't aware that ECOWAS was really capable of any kind of political lifting. How do you think Mali's neighbors would be able to pressure the military to back down?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is there any reason to believe that the coupers are involved with dicko? obviously allying with a populist religious movement is a move that makes sense as far as securing legitimacy is concerned, but do we actually know anything about these people?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Squalid posted:

I wasn't aware that ECOWAS was really capable of any kind of political lifting. How do you think Mali's neighbors would be able to pressure the military to back down?

They've played a pretty significant role regionally since the coup in Mali back in 2012 - their intervention in the Gambia and their successful reversal of the 2015 Burkina Faso coup demonstrated that they at least have clout they can bring to force on their smaller participants. Mali being landlocked is vulnerable to ECOWAS sanctions, they didn't play around last time and locked down their borders to all non humanitarian imports and embargoed them from their ports. Without a stream of stuff coming in from Senegal, Mali would need someone big to help them out financially.

V. Illych L. posted:

is there any reason to believe that the coupers are involved with dicko? obviously allying with a populist religious movement is a move that makes sense as far as securing legitimacy is concerned, but do we actually know anything about these people?

I don't think there's any indication yet he was involved but I think the idea that he could possibly ride a new election to victory will not exactly please some international watchers. ECOWAS where pushing for a national unity government for the last while so that might float back up, assuming they accept Keite's departure as a fait accompli like they did Touré's rather than trying to reinstall him which seems likely

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Per Reuters

quote:

One of Mali's most influential power brokers, Mahmoud Dicko, will withdraw from politics, his spokesman said, after a meeting on Wednesday with leaders of a military coup who have promised to oversee elections within a "reasonable" time.

Dicko taking a step back

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Looks like the CIA and MI6 are collaborating to run a hit squad in Kenya. They fund and plan this police unit's operations, decide who the targets are, and even whether the targets will be killed or not (they're usually killed).

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-08-28-revealed-the-cia-and-mi6s-secret-war-in-kenya

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Looks like the CIA and MI6 are collaborating to run a hit squad in Kenya. They fund and plan this police unit's operations, decide who the targets are, and even whether the targets will be killed or not (they're usually killed).

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-08-28-revealed-the-cia-and-mi6s-secret-war-in-kenya
My first reaction to this was shock, and then I realized that this poo poo is probably much more widespread than is getting reported, especially in places like Nigeria.

The CIA trainer calling himself "Mr. Bad" was a nice touch

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paul Rusesabagina of Hotel Rwanda fame was arrested this morning on terrorism charges. None of the international reporting can seem to make up its mind about whether it's politically motivated - he's a longtime foe of the Kagame regime.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Paul Rusesabagina of Hotel Rwanda fame was arrested this morning on terrorism charges. None of the international reporting can seem to make up its mind about whether it's politically motivated - he's a longtime foe of the Kagame regime.
Well at least he wasn't "mysteriously" assassinated. :france:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kagame is such a shithead that I don't think it's unreasonable to presume it's politically motivated.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

What's really raising my eyebrows is that Rusesabagina lives in Belgium and considering that there's been outstanding criminal charges against him it would seem unlikely he would have voluntarily traveled to Rwanda (unless he was willing to take the risk) - sure enough it seems Rwanda are claiming some unspecific "international cooperation" but the Belgian prosecutor's office says they where only informed by the Rwandan authorities after it took place.

Considering the Kagame government's past actions in South Africa (straight up mercing dissidents without informing the authorities) definitely raises some questions about how this went down

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The plot thickens: it seems he was kidnapped in Dubai, and the UAE authorities are acting all innocent, which is a load of bullshit.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Abiy sent troops into Tigray. Heavy fighting reported. This is looking really bad.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

My partner reports gunfire and flashbangs in the street outside our apartment in Abidjan - evidently Ouattara has a campaign office nearby our apartment. Hopefully it settles down quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lovely week for African democracy all around.