Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wet rear end porgs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Can't believe there's two things I agree with Ben Shapiro on

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

2house2fly posted:

Yeah he's in one scene and has three lines, and his name is never said onscreen. Lucas probably just thought "his name is uhh Fartknocker Drugmann, on to the next scene"

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

One of Lucas’ most underrated qualities is his gift for a truly stony pokerface when making the stupidest loving jokes possible.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Snoke is a far worse name than Sleazebaggano because characters actually say it out loud and he's also supposed to be intimidating or something.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

One of Lucas’ most underrated qualities is his gift for a truly stony pokerface when making the stupidest loving jokes possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMXOg-APbGc&t=118s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Snoke is a far worse name than Sleazebaggano because characters actually say it out loud and he's also supposed to be intimidating or something.

Agreed. Dumbass off the cuff cartoony names are fine for bit characters where the name isn't even said out loud in the movies. Lucas is 100% correct in all those anecdotes where he's like "so this guy is some Sith dude that's in one video game whatever name him Darth Insanius or hell Darth Icky is even better next?" and "You're calling that dinosaur thing a Bronto? lmao dumbass take off the B and call it a Ronto"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Insanius is on par with Plagueis as far as names go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, it makes sense if you consider the Sith to be the biggest loving drama queens who are absolutely high on their own smugness. Which is pretty well supported by the text. Sheev pretty much spends all his screentime in-character as a Sith Lord absolutely loving every moment of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Darth Bane
Darth Talon
Darth Revan

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth Insidious
Darth Invader
Darth Insane

...hmm

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Darth Imical
Darth Tuitive

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Darf

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meet Darth Noctyss (front) and Darth Sanguis (back) from A Life Immortal from the book Dark Legends

Grant Griffin posted:

"As this story was one of the last to be added, and due to approaching printing deadlines, I had to proceed with the illustration without knowing whom or what the main characters were. What I did know was that this story took place on Exegol and was going to have a strong Dr. Frankenstein and Ygor vibe. At the time, I only had the trailer visuals to go off of. Inspired by a screenshot, I built up the scene and shrouded our Sith in a hood to hide their identity. With a bit of Force lightning to showcase the villain’s power, I was able to increase the drama in the composition. The curved saber was added later, and if I am not mistaken, is specific to a particular Sith."

I wanna know what makes a lightsaber blade curve like that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bent schwartz

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Darth gollum and darth prostate tickler

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
They make drugs to help you with those problems, and you can even buy them online

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Bent schwartz

Didn't he voice BB-8?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, it makes sense if you consider the Sith to be the biggest loving drama queens who are absolutely high on their own smugness. Which is pretty well supported by the text. Sheev pretty much spends all his screentime in-character as a Sith Lord absolutely loving every moment of it.

I call out the Clone Wars Zilla Beast two-parter as a perfect example of this. He's indulging himself in pure evil and corruption - no grand plot, no goal, just pure evil for its own sake. And he's so happy about it obviously reveling in his own crapulence.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

McCloud posted:

Can't believe there's two things I agree with Ben Shapiro on

Time to reassess! Give TLJ another chance :shobon: You just might end up enjoying it, even if only a little more than before. At the very least, you might even say it's the best movie of the ST, which is a different definition to many, but still a net positive in TLJ's favor.

[edit]

https://twitter.com/adambsolodriver/status/1323701427101904896

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 4, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TLJ is the only good sequel but rian needs to log off more

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
While I do not think TLJ is a good film, I agree that it is the best of the sequel trilogy and daylight is second.

My main problem with it is it makes noise about doing new things and forging a new path...and then ends with a small plucky group of rebels with a young force user among them set up to fight a galaxy controlling menace led by a black-clad space warrior/wizard.

That ain't new, that's the hardest reversion to the star wars status quo possible. If they had just stuck the landing a little better, but ah well, here we are anyway.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

garycoleisgod posted:

My main problem with it is it makes noise about doing new things and forging a new path...and then ends with a small plucky group of rebels with a young force user among them set up to fight a galaxy controlling menace led by a black-clad space warrior/wizard.

It's a meta-commentary on corporate wokeness. Disney wants to be seen as this super progressive company, but no loving way they actually end up challenging the status quo. Too risky.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'd buy it with a long u. Darth Insanioos.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Time to reassess! Give TLJ another chance :shobon: You just might end up enjoying it, even if only a little more than before. At the very least, you might even say it's the best movie of the ST, which is a different definition to many, but still a net positive in TLJ's favor.

[edit]

https://twitter.com/adambsolodriver/status/1323701427101904896

It's simultaneously the worst and best movie of the nu-trilogy. The worst because it's out of place and derails the traditional star wars thing going on in TFA and forces ROS to re-rail the drat thing (failing miserably), but as an individual stand alone it's the best film, despite it's many many flaws, at least it tries to be somewhat clever and offer something more than empty Star Wars references.

teagone posted:

It's a meta-commentary on corporate wokeness. Disney wants to be seen as this super progressive company, but no loving way they actually end up challenging the status quo. Too risky.

*In extreme Professor Fornsworth voice* It's meta-commentary on balony!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD2UrB7zepo

dreeple

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 5, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McCloud posted:

despite it's many many flaws, at least it tries to be somewhat clever and offer something more than empty Star Wars references.

The message of the film, as directly explained to the audience by multiple characters, is that war is good and change is bad.

As confirmed by the director, the film ends with Luke Skywalker embracing & promoting fascism on his deathbed - effectively “undoing” the end of Episode 6 (and therefore the end of Star Wars itself) by asserting that he should have killed Vader when he had the chance.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The message of the film, as directly explained to the audience by multiple characters, is that war is good and change is bad.

As confirmed by the director, the film ends with Luke Skywalker embracing & promoting fascism on his deathbed - effectively “undoing” the end of Episode 6 (and therefore the end of Star Wars itself) by asserting that he should have killed Vader when he had the chance.

"Confirmed by the director", you referring to the tweet about how entitlement and loss turns folks into fascists?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As someone else said, TLJ is basically peak 2016 I'm with her liberalism, so you might not be too far off the mark :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hmm, I think it's more that that's the natural conclusion from what Episode 7 tells us happened after Episode 8, and Johnson just embraces that and runs with it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McCloud posted:

"Confirmed by the director", you referring to the tweet about how entitlement and loss turns folks into fascists?

Right; Luke is the specific character who fears loss in the movie. And it’s not a subtle movie: he directly explains to the audience that he turned evil because he feared loss.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bZxO5Dn9x0

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Looks fun. Can't wait to watch it with my kid.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, looks cute :3: I hope there's a Ben Solo plot beat where he meets himself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That video just completely forgets about the concept of dark humor.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Lego holiday special looks great tbh.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lego Star Wars is always a lot of fun

The Freemaker Adventures were great and if you haven't, I highly recommend it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’d rather hear about the Tragedy of Darth Plagius the Wise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay, I will tell you. Can you meet me at the Bubble Comedy Theater at 8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
For some reason I really want to hate that holiday special even though I love all the other LEGO stuff and I’m a massive fan of time travel shenanigans.

Maybe I’m expecting the writing to be such slop that it has Rey going back in time to fix all of the problems and the accomplishments of the OG crew are going to be even further undermined as a result.

Or maybe I’m thinking too much about a lego movie and I should just get really drunk before I see it so my broken Star Wars brain doesn’t ruin it for me.