Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Gadfly posted:

I thought they were moving to a smaller node with their upcoming tiger lake, but no, they are still on 14nm nodes in 2021 :lol:

Yeah, Intel's 10nm production right now is limited to Ice Lake for mobile CPUs--Tiger Lake is still 14nm, despite being newer. On desktop, Rocket Lake is also still 14nm, and won't be replaced by 10nm Alder Lake until 2H2021 at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Suburban Dad posted:

You can always return it.

Be careful on this. I know Newegg does not allow returns on many (most?) processors.

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm running a 2500k at 4.3 and a 1070 GPU and some newer games are unplayable at 1440p (144hz, gsync) . I'll go from 100+fps to 2-3 second freezes randomly and tons of little stutters. Definitely looking forward to a CPU upgrade.

Year after year I continue to be amazed at how many goons replace a Sandy Bridge cheap each cycle and yet we still have people using them.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I will replace mine after electro migration finally kills it but it's taking longer than expected.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Be careful on this. I know Newegg does not allow returns on many (most?) processors.

Year after year I continue to be amazed at how many goons replace a Sandy Bridge cheap each cycle and yet we still have people using them.

2500K reporting in, it's gone through... 4? GPUs over the years.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Twerk from Home posted:

2500K reporting in, it's gone through... 4? GPUs over the years.

Only 3 for me. 4 if I could find a 3080. :v:

... And 2nd PSU, another case, went from 8 to 16gb ram, 1 1080p/60 monitor to 3x1080p/60 monitors, to a 1440p/144 replacing the main screen, and a few hard drives and two ssds (first a 250 then a 1tb when prices came down) later, here I am. Been a crazy long life span that's lasted a couple build cycles.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Even sealed? That's silly. I'm planning to get a 5600x if available and keep it sealed until reviews confirm or deny it's decent for my use case. Otherwise I'll snag a 3600 or 3700 and save dollars. Microcenter appears to allow returns on them so I'm not too worried.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 4, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Newegg isn’t what it used to be. They look for any way to screw you over these days.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

Yeah, Intel's 10nm production right now is limited to Ice Lake for mobile CPUs--Tiger Lake is still 14nm, despite being newer. On desktop, Rocket Lake is also still 14nm, and won't be replaced by 10nm Alder Lake until 2H2021 at the earliest.

Tiger lake is 10nm SF, not 14nm. Rocket is 14 though.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
It’s also so much worse for Intel this time around because they’re stuck with what they got. It’s not like they’re here because of hubris, holding out on NetBurst too long while simultaneously wishing a decent compiler for Itanium into existence. They don’t have a plan C, like the good P6 designs like Banias/Dothan cores to fall back and iterate upon to create Conroe, Destroyer of Worlds. Some OEMs even made socket 479 desktop boards with something like 1.6GHz Pentium M’s on par with much more expensive 2GHz Opterons in performance and with better power consumption.

If only they had it so easy now.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Everyone's wanting election returns and I just want Ryzen zen3 benchmarks

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

bus hustler posted:

Yeah my thinking is if Trump wins I'm gonna try to laser focus on thinking about the 5950X.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Replacing my 2500k once ryzen 3 benchmarks are out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bus hustler posted:

more like 538 ... points on Cinebench r20 single-core!!!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So does Amazon usually have these chips the same day? And is there a discord or some other place to wait for stock to drop? Are there any tips to be had for getting one?

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah my thinking is if Trump wins I'm gonna try to laser focus on thinking about the 5950X.

Please elaborate

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 4, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Taima posted:

Please elaborate

Orange man bad

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Taima posted:

Please elaborate

Thinking about 5950X means not thinking about tr*mp

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Better start thinking about that 5950X a whole lot

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Do we have a time the Zen 3 goes live for sale tomorrow?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't think they've said. Somewhere between 11:45 Wednesday and 9 eastern would be my bet.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

AMD Rewards posted:

https://www.amdrewards.com/terms
Campaign Period: Campaign Period begins November 5, 2020 at 9:00:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”)
The 5000 series game bundle T&Cs suggest 9am ET, although it's possible the lawyers rounded down.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Some Goon posted:

I don't think they've said. Somewhere between 11:45 Wednesday and 9 eastern would be my bet.

Some local advertising that got put out in NZ also listed Zen 3 as available starting at 9am EST. So that seems more likely than not.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Looks like it's 9, but if I had the time and really, really wanted one these I'd still F5 11:45-12:15 just because early listing errors are pretty common.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Surely processors are not going to sell out like graphics cards. Right??

can't decide what motherboard to get.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

Surely processors are not going to sell out like graphics cards. Right??

can't decide what motherboard to get.

I mean, what do you want from your motherboard in terms of features/size/etc.? What's your budget?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Far Cry 6 is apparently the pack-in game & not available on the 5600x. Not a needle mover for me. I think I'm willing to risk missing a release day buy to make sure I get the processor I really want. I want it specifically for higher FPS at 1440p with my 2080ti, & want to see benchmarks on B450.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

bus hustler posted:

Far Cry 6 is apparently the pack-in game & not available on the 5600x. Not a needle mover for me. I think I'm willing to risk missing a release day buy to make sure I get the processor I really want. I want it specifically for higher FPS at 1440p with my 2080ti, & want to see benchmarks on B450.

I don't think the mobo chipset is going to make any difference at all. Like PCie 4.0 hardly even does anything detectable for gaming graphics or SSD performance.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bus hustler posted:

1440p fps will be the same as 1080p fps & 4k fps CPU-wise. Resolution taxes GPU on nearly all titles. If you aren't getting the fps you want at lower resolution settings then it will help at 1440p too.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I've yet to see a compelling reason to upgrade to 5800x or 5900x from the 3700x now that the hype has worn off. Like of course it's a slam dunk if you don't have a computer yet, but if you're already equipped it seems somewhat pointless.
Of course gotta wait for benchmarks but if you weren't already set to buy a 10700 or 10900 it doesn't seem like you have much to gain with the 5900X.

I could be wrong once we're in the middle of the next gen console lifecycle and they're more efficiently able to use their underpowered 3700X compared to a PC thus requiring a 5800 for equivalent performance.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I've yet to see a compelling reason to upgrade to 5800x or 5900x from the 3700x now that the hype has worn off. Like of course it's a slam dunk if you don't have a computer yet, but if you're already equipped it seems somewhat pointless.
Of course gotta wait for benchmarks but if you weren't already set to buy a 10700 or 10900 it doesn't seem like you have much to gain with the 5900X.

I could be wrong once we're in the middle of the next gen console lifecycle and they're more efficiently able to use their underpowered 3700X compared to a PC thus requiring a 5800 for equivalent performance.

If I had a 3700X I wouldn't be giving Zen 3 a second look.

Since I have a 4 core/4 thread antique i5, I'm 100% sold on getting Zen 3.

Rule of thumb is always to upgrade when your current stuff doesn't do what you want anymore.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

sean10mm posted:

I don't think the mobo chipset is going to make any difference at all. Like PCie 4.0 hardly even does anything detectable for gaming graphics or SSD performance.

Oh is some of the memory bonus not tied to B450? I wont have an AMD GPU anyway so I guess it doesn't matter

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

If you are wrong, you'll be wrong 2+ years from now when you can pick up a 5700 or 6600 (or whatever--assuming Warhol is still AM4) for a better price, so you wouldn't really be losing out anyhow.

bus hustler posted:

Oh is some of the memory bonus not tied to B450? I wont have an AMD GPU anyway so I guess it doesn't matter

You mean the Smart Memory Access they were touting in the Radeon announcement? Yeah, that's B550/X570 only, despite almost certainly being something they could do on B450. But yeah, if you have an NVidia GPU it wouldn't matter in the first place.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Khorne posted:

1440p fps will be the same as 1080p fps & 4k fps CPU-wise. Resolution taxes GPU on nearly all titles. If you aren't getting the fps you want at lower resolution settings then it will help at 1440p too.

its more about smoothing the system's performance out with other stuff going on and hoping to get an additional 3-4 years out of the system. i am also on zen+ not zen3 so this will be a nice upgrade regardless.

edit: I'm expecting the 5600x to be fine for my needs and agree that by the time I really care I won't be looking for a few extra %, but a new platform. CPU upgrades are nice but the upgrade from 5600x to another 5000 series processor is unlikely to be a big deal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bus hustler posted:

edit: I'm expecting the 5600x to be fine for my needs and agree that by the time I really care I won't be looking for a few extra %, but a new platform. CPU upgrades are nice but the upgrade from 5600x to another 5000 series processor is unlikely to be a big deal.

This is a reasonable take, given that by the time we really start seeing the heavy console ports moving over to PC, we'll probably be in late 2022 / early 2023 and DDR5-based platforms will be reasonably affordable at that point.

And who knows, Intel might even be off 14nm by then!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You're also not going to see B450 benchmarks soon since B450 isn't supposed to get Zen 3 BIOS updates until January

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Nah you'll see them, the new Gigabyte bios from last saturday has full support already. At least user if not professional.

edit: I should also mention I play Arma 3 which is 100% single core CPU bound and gets just about 30FPS in fights with the zen+ 2600. definitely looking forward to this one.

I also have a 10% coupon at bestbuy so unless microcenter goes nuts I should get it for $286 after tax which is decent enough.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 4, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're also not going to see B450 benchmarks soon since B450 isn't supposed to get Zen 3 BIOS updates until January

It's not like they'd be meaningfully different from the B550 benchmarks, anyhow, which themselves shouldn't be meaningfully different from the X570 benchmarks. Really you can take whatever gets released and be pretty confident your board will perform within like 5% of that. If it doesn't, it won't be because of a chipset issue, but rather some peculiar issue with your specific board (like lovely VRMs or poor RAM OC support or something else chipset independent).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

sean10mm posted:

I mean, what do you want from your motherboard in terms of features/size/etc.? What's your budget?

gaming. don't know in terms of features and such, just something that works. probably going to go w/ B550 aorus pro

also guy at the local computer store said they had people line up at 4-5AM for the RTX 3080 and expect that it'll probably be the same for zen 3 tomorrow lol

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I've done my prep for upgrading one of my 2700s -- mobo, RAM, HSF. But I'm sticking by my statement about not going out of my way to get a new CPU ASAP. The day I swing by the Microcenter website and they're in stock is the day I'll grab one.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Whats a good cooler going from the stock zen+ 2600 one to probably a 3600x? Quiet is nice, price isnt my #1 overall concern.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

NH-U12S Chromax or Scythe Fuma 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Waiting on that Noctua Redux Line CPU cooler.