Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The fluffing the potatoes in a colander thing before roasting is one of the best cooking tips out there. I’d also suggest getting some rosemary and laying it around and over your spuds. It’s worth it just for how good your house will smell as the meal cooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There are some white poppies on the village war memorial! More red ones but some white ones.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
More than 25 christmasses on my own now (by choice) (or with the kitties while they were still alive).

Eat what I want, normally treat myself to gravadlax, gjetost (the brown caramelled cheese stuff), guylian praleins feature though one Xmas it was fishfingers (much to my relief because for some reason that year I had had about 6 xmas dinners via work, evening classes and so forth groups and was sick to the death of turkey dinner.

Watch what I want on tv (after decades of huge family fights over what's on tv - dad always wanted the 5 hours of Tosca on BBC2 on the tv - this was long before the dawn of the internet, C4 and C5), fighting and arguing over the kids' presents. In my 20s / early 30s, I took no part in food preparation activities but would barricade myself in the kitchen after the meal for a couple of hours with a pile of heavy metal cassettes and do all the washing up while the screaming, yelling and fighting went on in the living room. Then the parents got a dishwasher :( (I'm still inclined to do this at family occasions all the fuss fuss fuss cackling of the female family members over food prep does my head in.)

When I lived in Walthamstow, I used to go for a long walk in the afternoon if the weather was ok down Coppermill past the waterworks and reservoirs. Seemed that half of Walthamstow was doing the same!

I also did the Crisis at Christmas thing one year for 5 nights - we stayed in the basement of a church in Bethnal Green* (might even have been the one someone posted a few days ago on here) but that was when I lived in London and the tubes still ran on Xmas Day. As a non-driver things were less accessible when they stopped Xmas Day & Boxing Day transport. It's impossible in the styx - another reason for not visiting relatives - there's no escape for about 3 days and my head starts to explode from all the noise and drama. *the 'crisis' hosting itself was taking place in a different church nearby.

When I was in Cairo, an Italian friend invited me over for Xmas along with her Egyptian husband's family, so I went - imagining turkey and being greeted with huge piles of fish - aargh - and all the conversation in arabic so I had to work very hard to keep up!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Reheating my sub par frozen balls.
I too have been for a walk this evening.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was in Cairo, an Italian friend invited me over for Xmas along with her Egyptian husband's family, so I went - imagining turkey and being greeted with huge piles of fish - aargh - and all the conversation in arabic so I had to work very hard to keep up!

i feel you, when i was going to school in france, the family i was living with was originally from chile so they had a dinner party one night where everybody basically spoke spanish the whole time and i only ever understand when my name was called

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/1324004065475514370?s=20

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

andrew yang is an idiot techbro wannabe but hilarious that a) mooch's phrasing suggests ending all help to "our people" and b) he picked the one candidate who solidly pushed for some form of ubi to make this point to???

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jakabite posted:

The fluffing the potatoes in a colander thing before roasting is one of the best cooking tips out there. I’d also suggest getting some rosemary and laying it around and over your spuds. It’s worth it just for how good your house will smell as the meal cooks.

I usually boil em for like 10 minutes then just put the lid on the pan after draining and gently toss them, works great

Noxville fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 4, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My mum's roast potatoes are tragic. I cook Aunt Bessie's instead.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

these days i take small spuds, fork them, microwave for five minutes to cook through, then press down with a glass to slightly squish. toss with oil and salt and roast. easy, no mess perfection

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

mediaphage posted:

if you have a frost-free freezer, it'll be very good quality for a few weeks, if your freezer builds up frost, it'll last for months.

Explain :stare:

I discovered we have our first frostful freezer ever when the door wouldn't shut and I had to defrost it. Are you telling me the more annoying freezer's better for the food?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

How could I forget stuffing. Yeah, make a big bowl of stuffing mix. Put butter/olive spread and salt in. Partition into balls and freeze any you don't eat in a tupperware.

Stuffing mix doesn't appear to be a thing in Canada so I made my own stuffing for Canadian Thanksgiving this year. First time I've done it and it was really good, and SUPER easy:

https://www.peterpauper.com/blog/thanksgiving-retro-recipe-bread-crumb-stuffing/

Only thing is you need to find or make toasted breadcrumbs which are not as easy to buy in the UK from what I remember (very easy to make though).

quote:

Ingredients:
4 cups dry bread crumbs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Sage to taste
Parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/3 cup melted butter
Hot water or stock to moisten

So yeah, just finely chop the onion, add herbs, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning (optional tbh), mix it all together, pour in melted butter and stock til it's the right consistency to form into balls, then whack it in the oven til it's nice and browned on the outside. You can use different herbs or e.g. add garlic or whatever if you want.

I did this, except I actually just eyeballed the amount of breadcrumbs, butter and stock, and I used fresh rosemary instead of sage and parsley because it's what i had. Came out amazing - much better than dry mix stuff, I think due to the fresh onion.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 4, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobstar posted:

Explain :stare:

I discovered we have our first frostful freezer ever when the door wouldn't shut and I had to defrost it. Are you telling me the more annoying freezer's better for the food?

correct. the feature that helps keep it from building up frost is bad for food quality. by continuously removing frost build-up, you keep the vapour pressure of the freezer cabinet low, increasing the rate at which water is driven out of your food and sublimates. this is why older frozen products will often take on a dried or shriveled look.

you can mitigate this to some extent (sometimes a great extent)with excellent seals and vacuum packaging, etc., but for long-term storage past a month or two, classic old-style freezers, especially chest freezers, are the way to go.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I have a giant deep chest freezer and it is the best thing I have ever bought for my house. It keeps food for an absolute eternity and I have carted it across four countries in Europe.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Microwave veg is nothing compared to the travesties labelled as 'yorkshire puddings', seemingly by everyone outside Yorkshire and even by some people inside who should know better. Nothing like the disappointment of sitting down to a roast to find an overcooked cross between bread and a pancake on your plate. They're supposed to be like souffles - light, puffed up, soft inside and slight crisp on the outside. Most people don't cook at a high enough temperature and cook for too long.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm sick of experts my roasts suck but I'm totally fine with that.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Algol Star posted:

Microwave veg is nothing compared to the travesties labelled as 'yorkshire puddings', seemingly by everyone outside Yorkshire and even by some people inside who should know better. Nothing like the disappointment of sitting down to a roast to find an overcooked cross between bread and a pancake on your plate. They're supposed to be like souffles - light, puffed up, soft inside and slight crisp on the outside. Most people don't cook at a high enough temperature and cook for too long.

I’m sorry but they are absolutely not meant to be ‘like soufflés’. Christ alive

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Cooking Christmas Dinner is fun, it's just a roast dinner but more extravagant.

If I was (and am) cooking for myself, I'd probably cover a chicken in butter, salt and pepper, stuff it with a lemon, garlic, rosemary and thyme. If you roast it face down the juice goes into the breast, which is good for things like Turkey, but a chicken should be alright. You can fry a whole chicken in a pan then wrap it in tin foil before roasting, so you have a bit of crispy skin and really soft flesh, its good. I wrap everything in foil so there's not as much washing up after.

Spuds take about as long as the chicken, then carrots, then parsnips. Season it a bit, at least salt and pepper. Butter or goose fat are good, oil can get a bit...oily? If you wash them beforehand then you can use the bits to add to some gravy, if you're into that. I put the chicken wings in with gravy as they're too fiddly to eat, but I tend to cover everything in gravy so I either make it or buy those wee chilled bags they have in shops sometimes.

I think to make it more than just a roast dinner, stuff like sprouts, pigs in blankets, yorkshire puddings, mash potato, booze and anything else you like is good to get involved. I've had leftover vindaloo with my Christmas Dinner and that was good. I'll probably have a bit of pizza or maybe a scotch egg this year, why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpfHSqLXePI

51 days!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My grandmother made lovely light puds, my mother makes ones you could kill a man with at 30 paces. I like both, honestly.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

after decades of huge family fights over what's on tv - dad always wanted the 5 hours of Tosca on BBC2 on the tv - this was long before the dawn of the internet, C4 and C5

Same as my dad, that's a bit eerie.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My father's only skill in the kitchen is cracking two eggs at once.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My father's only skill in the kitchen is cracking two eggs at once.

I have a very clear memory of my late father attempting to make squirrel gravy and ending up with just like. A softball sized orb of gravy in he middle of the skillet.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

mediaphage posted:

correct. the feature that helps keep it from building up frost is bad for food quality. by continuously removing frost build-up, you keep the vapour pressure of the freezer cabinet low, increasing the rate at which water is driven out of your food and sublimates. this is why older frozen products will often take on a dried or shriveled look.

you can mitigate this to some extent (sometimes a great extent)with excellent seals and vacuum packaging, etc., but for long-term storage past a month or two, classic old-style freezers, especially chest freezers, are the way to go.

I've been vegetarian for 2 years now but a couple months ago during lockdown I found a steak from 2015 in the back of my horribly frosty freezer (seriously, half its interior volume is now frost) and it came out a treat. Good to know what I thought a negative is actually a positive!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Homemade yorkies are so addictive. I made a roast with the gf the other Sunday and I demolished like 10 super sized ones. So good.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I lived in Walthamstow, I used to go for a long walk in the afternoon if the weather was ok down Coppermill past the waterworks and reservoirs. Seemed that half of Walthamstow was doing the same!

I live in Leytonstone so not far from there and this part of London has such a fantastic choice of green space to go visit, I feel very privileged to have that in a big city. Not been down Coppermill in ages so I might go there soon :)

Wanstead flats is amazing and they just re-introduced 'wild' coos!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
A local sandwich shop here does a Yorkshire wrap. It's beef, stuffing, mash and carrots wrapped in a yorkshire pudding, with dipping gravy.

I had my first one today, and it was excellent.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

SpicePro posted:

I live in Leytonstone so not far from there and this part of London has such a fantastic choice of green space to go visit, I feel very privileged to have that in a big city. Not been down Coppermill in ages so I might go there soon :)

Cows are great.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This thread is why there needs to be an independent Yorkshire Assembly.

WhatEvil posted:

Stuffing mix doesn't appear to be a thing in Canada so I made my own stuffing for Canadian Thanksgiving this year. First time I've done it and it was really good, and SUPER easy:
This otoh sounds delicious.

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

We've taken to reverse searing steaks. Trick is to get a very thick one and cook it low in the oven before pan frying. Its very easy to get it cooked to your liking.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SpicePro posted:

Pfft.

Although admittedly I don't have an opportunity to piss in London's water supply when I go for a walk.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm procrastinating now. As I managed to get hold of some gram flour today after a couple of weeks of none in the local health shop (and no, before anyone suggests it, there are no 'ethnic' shops in this town!) so am experimenting making gingerbread with gram flour + butter + soft brown sugar + ginger beer. Yummy yum. Can't give you a recipe because it is guess work. Melt the butter in the microwave, add soft brown sugar + gram flour to make a very stiff paste, add big splashes of ginger beer. Stir it up. Stick in microwave on 50% for a few minutes depending on how 'firm' you like it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Guavanaut posted:

This thread is why there needs to be an independent Yorkshire Assembly.
When I was a teenager in Yorkshire, during the hellscape of the Thatcher era, I jokingly drew posters for the "Independent Northern Party". I'm staggered that decades later somebody's doing it for real, just with a slightly different name.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

https://www.peterpauper.com/blog/thanksgiving-retro-recipe-bread-crumb-stuffing/

Only thing is you need to find or make toasted breadcrumbs which are not as easy to buy in the UK from what I remember (very easy to make though).

So yeah, just finely chop the onion, add herbs, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning (optional tbh), mix it all together, pour in melted butter and stock til it's the right consistency to form into balls, then whack it in the oven til it's nice and browned on the outside. You can use different herbs or e.g. add garlic or whatever if you want.

I did this, except I actually just eyeballed the amount of breadcrumbs, butter and stock, and I used fresh rosemary instead of sage and parsley because it's what i had. Came out amazing - much better than dry mix stuff, I think due to the fresh onion.

i'm not sure where you shop but stuffing mix is sold in literally every normal grocery store in the country i've been in

that said you should always make your own because it's dead simple

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be very weird IMO if a commonwealth country did not have stuffing mix.

Also I had sage ice cream once and it was very strange.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
imagine seeing biden nearly gently caress it, and still possibly could, adn posting this

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1324004450248384512?s=20

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It would be very weird IMO if a commonwealth country did not have stuffing mix.

Also I had sage ice cream once and it was very strange.

yeah also include the US in that

one issue is just op may see brands they're unfamiliar with

the biggest brand is called "stove top" here too afaik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stove_Top_stuffing

speaking of commonwealth countries and weird ice creams, i embarrassed my spouse here by standing in line and asking what all these "classic" canadian flavours were one time.

like: tiger tail. it's orange and black licorice ice cream swirled together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think there needs to be some sort of retirement home for adonis where he can tweet to an empty void.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

mediaphage posted:

like: tiger tail. it's orange and black licorice ice cream swirled together.

That sounds disgusting, what the gently caress canada.

OwlFancier posted:

I think there needs to be some sort of retirement home for adonis where he can tweet to an empty void.

You want him to be president of the USA?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As I managed to get hold of some gram flour
Misread this as graun flour. Bland even by the standards of flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I'm disgusted that they only sell gram flour, how the hell are you supposed to make an imperial recipe with metric flour?