Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Phone posted:

I hope you guys are right that I'm about to have so much fun...

Just got the title for 2019 Honda CB300R w/ 4400 miles on the clock and a bunch of gear. I pick it up in 13 hours and 33 minutes, but who's counting.

:hellyeah:

Post lots and lots of pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Me waiting for Suzuki to update the GSXR 750

Lmao :drat:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Nice! Sorta jealous of you getting a desireable bike, but I had a great day wrenching on my 37 year old dad bike that nobody cares about seeing! :blush:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I care, post pics of it in bits.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Not really in "bits". Just got a new right side footpeg, new inner fender liner, rear brakelight switch and rear grab bar, so I put em on.

It's almost completely visually back to stock now. Have some side mount chrome dress ups for the radiator, they have amber reflectors in them, not sure if I'm gonna put em back on or what.

Hope to ride tomorrow, have to contact the local DMV and police about my lost rear tag.

Thanks for the interest, even if it's not sincere, kinda made my day!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

gileadexile posted:

Nice! Sorta jealous of you getting a desireable bike, but I had a great day wrenching on my 37 year old dad bike that nobody cares about seeing! :blush:

I really like the style of the Honda neo sports, but couldn't justify going up to a dealership and spending $5k + dealership tax to get on one. I was looking at the older CB300F/500F/500X and was a bit too slow on the trigger, but for $500 more (3000 vs 3500 asking price) it's 4 years newer and has 2k miles less... so.... deal?

Even with handing Cycle Gear my credit card this evening, I'm going to be in it for only about $5k total for everything (including a year of insurance). Pix tomorrow.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I eye banged a green Kawasaki R900S when I went to the local bike shop to order some screws for my brake and clutch masters. I looooove those so much, but that's part of why I chose an older bike anyway, love me some '80s weirdness.

The small cafe fairing on the Kwaka is gonna make me order one from wish for my V45, along with a pair of shock boots.

I'm tickled by the confused looks I get on my bike, as it looks similar to a Harley Sportster from the..well, I guess late '70s to now, but it does NOT sound like one.

I know it won't carve twisties like a sport or standard, but I'm not that good anyway, the bikes limits are way higher than mine.

Is yours a single or two cylinder? I assume two?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Not really in "bits". Just got a new right side footpeg, new inner fender liner, rear brakelight switch and rear grab bar, so I put em on.

It's almost completely visually back to stock now. Have some side mount chrome dress ups for the radiator, they have amber reflectors in them, not sure if I'm gonna put em back on or what.

Hope to ride tomorrow, have to contact the local DMV and police about my lost rear tag.

Thanks for the interest, even if it's not sincere, kinda made my day!

No, I'm sincerely a huge fan of the 'old' pattern Honda v4's, I try to avoid sarcasm ITT. Both the magna and the old vt1100 were built before the general consensus congealed on cruisers needing to be slow and crap, and are astonishingly fast and agile. One of my little dreams is to build a vt1100 into a sick bobber, another is to turn an interceptor into like a prehistoric anachronistic street fighter.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Phone posted:

Just got the title for 2019 Honda CB300R w/ 4400 miles on the clock and a bunch of gear. I pick it up in 13 hours and 33 minutes, but who's counting.

You're about to have so much fun.

But really, I had the time of my life at the MSF class doing up to 25mph in a parking lot, looking like a circus bear on the tiny bike they gave me. I guess once you're out of the street it's a mixture of fun and stress at first.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phone posted:

That rules. Thread title is accurate

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Aw man, thanks Slavvy, I'm sorry I misjudged you, I apologize.

Yeah, I was looking at this and a Sabre 1100, but not only did the Sabre get sold, getting a liter bike as your first roadbike was all kinds of a bad idea.

I would like to get an '85 or '86 V65 at some point. Unless I get rid of some more of this midsection or my buttcheeks toughen up enough to ride for more than 45 minutes before getting butt burn, I may go for another Magna.

Dual discs up front, and the V65 gets you a disc in back too. 30 some odd year old Honda with about a hundred horsepower when they were new, crazy stuff!

If you have any knowledge or tips, please share, I've read as many old reviews and browsed the V4 muscle bike forums as I can, but I want to know as much as I can.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Phone posted:

You're gonna love it!

If a used helmet was part of the deal make sure you get yourself a new one. Used helmets are a never not once ever thing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nah, picked up a brand new Shoei RF1200. :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Helmets are like underwear. You don’t buy them used, you don’t borrow them unless something really lovely has happened and when you think it’s time for a new one, it is

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Helmets are like underwear. You don’t buy them used, you don’t borrow them unless something really lovely has happened and when you think it’s time for a new one, it is

You can also turn it inside out to use it just one last time.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Once you try pin lock you'll never go back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Aw man, thanks Slavvy, I'm sorry I misjudged you, I apologize.

Yeah, I was looking at this and a Sabre 1100, but not only did the Sabre get sold, getting a liter bike as your first roadbike was all kinds of a bad idea.

I would like to get an '85 or '86 V65 at some point. Unless I get rid of some more of this midsection or my buttcheeks toughen up enough to ride for more than 45 minutes before getting butt burn, I may go for another Magna.

Dual discs up front, and the V65 gets you a disc in back too. 30 some odd year old Honda with about a hundred horsepower when they were new, crazy stuff!

If you have any knowledge or tips, please share, I've read as many old reviews and browsed the V4 muscle bike forums as I can, but I want to know as much as I can.

All the ones I've been exposed to have been fairly rundown, and it seems the only unusual issues for bikes so old surround the carbs. They are very badly affected by poor carb setup and the carbs themselves are either an mc escher nightmare hidden inside an impenetrable fortress, or a therapeutic 6-8 hours, depending on your disposition.

Someone on here did a pretty sweet interceptor project iirc, don't know what became of it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sometimes I'm still half asleep and put it on backwards?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And then there's the idiots who go commando.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Yeah, the four carbs are all in a rack under the gas tank, them and the entire airbox assembly has to come out the side for service. I'm experiencing a strong gas smell, mpg's are low 30s, so I dunno if there is a leak somewhere (my guess is yes) and it's definitely running rich, soo..I'm either going to buy a rebuild kit and follow some youtube videos, or send the whole assembly away for cleaning, rebuilding and synching.

Also, strangely, my rpms drop when I turn the forks left. Who knows, PO mystery! Seems to idle high once it's warm too.

Also also, cam chain tensioner on the rear cylinders are clattery, but those are cheap to buy and seemingly fairly straight forward, so that will be springtime me's job!

Also..also also, the seat is a WRECK. I've gone so far as removing the old foam, adding the seat foam from the Sportster Mustang seat the PO bodged on there, supplemented by couch foam. Even tried a Mad Dog ATV seat cover, still no joy, so who knows!

Maybe once I have more content to share I'll make a thread, mechanically and cosmetically it has patina, but I enjoy riding alone and with my dad, so I'm just repairing things as they show up and buying things here and there and having fun!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah basically. I’m on my phone but I think it’s at :30, a quick head shake. I think it’s probably from not smooth shifting and potentially also unintentional steering input.
I still can't tell what exactly is going on but my guess is that you're slightly transitioning into the turn as you blip the throttle on the downshift. The blip is overdone for your speed or your clutch use isn't smooth enough and the front end goes slightly light as you release the clutch. Then because of your intentional or unintentional steering input, it reweights slightly cockeyed resulting in a touch of headshake.

EDIT: I know it's not recommended but you can actually shift deep into a turn if you're smooth enough and have enough traction in reserve for any mistakes so merely shifting in a turn by itself shouldn't give you headshake.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 23, 2020

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Phone posted:

Same bike as me! I bought mine back in February and have put 3500 or so miles on it since. It's a great bike to learn on! You're going to love it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And then there's the idiots who go commando.

the skidmarks they leave are a little different

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

On the ~20 mile ride home, I smelled something weird, but there's also a lot of construction going on, so I don't know if it's stuff on the side of the road, other cars, or me.

I'm going to have to investigate further...

ride back was uneventful, had someone do the obligatory turn left across traffic super late, but they made it obvious

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a beautiful pair. Love the look of those 300s.

I wouldn't worry about the smell. It happens to me sometimes and I think "oh no is the bike broken" before remembering that all the air reaching my nose comes from in front of the bike. It's not like a car where you can smell something in the engine or whatever or something that gets into the cabin. On a bike all smells of your bike are behind you, unless you are at a stop.

But your bike is new so it could also be residuals from the factory.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sounds like the patented new bike smell yeah.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It has 4400 miles... I have to investigate though, will report back in 100 miles.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Reporting back in ~75 miles.

Went out for a few hours today. Started off by topping off the bike and then going to a large empty af parking lot and doing some braking practice to try to just not rely on engine braking for everything and to come to a stop in a shortish amount of time. Little bit of skidding from the rear, but it was like "oh hmm" versus "oh god I'm going down"; trying to just build some muscle memory and feel things out. Overall, feel more comfortable with the bike and giving it a bit more gas, felt out the timing for clutchless upshifting, practice downshifting, leaning the bike over a bit on long sweepers (nothing drastic), figured out how I want to wave to other riders, etc. I feel pretty good about situational awareness and keeping my head on a swivel, I don't have fearful anxiety about traffic; I know everyone's trying to kill me and I accept it.

As for noises... I don't know if it's the engine or the chain but there's some buzzing under partial load. The noise goes away when the clutch is pulled, so that ruled out wind noise. The bike sounds fine idling and under load, but I don't know if it's me short shifting everywhere and I'm out of the torque curve or if the chain is bouncing all over the place. It's easier to hear <25 mph while coming to a stop, if that helps anything... I think I know where the harmonic is though, there's a howling noise that starts up, but goes away if I went a bit faster; this rotational noise isn't that.

Anyways, A+ would pull out the thermal liner on my jacket and ride again.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 24, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Today is my MT-07's birthday! :toot: It's been one year, 5,267 miles, two near-drops on gravel, and one unbelievably close miss with that scumbag red-light-running Alfa since I rode it home from the dealership.

I'm pretty satisfied with my first year back into motorcycling. The two areas I want to work on going forward are starting to develop and improve actual cornering technique, and planning longer trips with multiple destinations and pre-chosen routes. Most of my riding this year has been wandering in a general direction then turning around and going home. Which is great! but sometimes unsatisfying.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'm still stubbornly holding out on storing the bike for the year. Had to clean two or three inches of snow off of the Scrambler this morning, but I'm convinced I'll get one final send-off day of good weather before I lock it up.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

FBS posted:

Today is my MT-07's birthday! :toot: It's been one year, 5,267 miles, two near-drops on gravel, and one unbelievably close miss with that scumbag red-light-running Alfa since I rode it home from the dealership.

I'm pretty satisfied with my first year back into motorcycling. The two areas I want to work on going forward are starting to develop and improve actual cornering technique, and planning longer trips with multiple destinations and pre-chosen routes. Most of my riding this year has been wandering in a general direction then turning around and going home. Which is great! but sometimes unsatisfying.

I've had more fun on my trips where I don't have planned stops, because how long I want to ride each day varies with how I'm feeling and what the weather is like. Planned stops have made me push on when I'm not comfortable riding, which was probably risky - and it's made me stop riding earlier than I'd like, which is disappointing. Last summer I had a trip where I just searched for free rooms online whenever I started feeling done for the day, and that worked very well. It does take more money though.

Oh, and it lets you freely explore whenever you come across something that looks like it might lead to nice riding roads. I've found fantastic mountain passes this way.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ive had my MT 07 for almost 2 years to the day. The exhaust I've wanted since before I even bought it should be here tomorrow. I'm so excited :D

Akrapavic Titanium

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My Ninja650’s anniversary was ~10/15 or so. It’s been almost 1700km which isn’t a ton but I did a lot of short hops around town which are really fun for me. A few longer trips too but I’m still getting my highway legs under me and it’s definitely not a place/speed I enjoy riding yet. I’ll get there, and I’m really trying not to measure myself against any other riders so I’m pretty happy with my first real year progress :)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did A LOT of road riding before I felt comfortable going on the freeway, there's no rush. I ended up doing freeway speeds on canyon roads so it's wasn't really the going fast issue as much as traffic / a lot to think about. I know other friends who picked up their first bike and rode the freeway home that same day, so there's a huge variety in what people feel comfortable with.

I was also learning on a D675 when I knew better than that, so maybe that made me extra cautious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be honest I’m not really sure what the block is, other than I’m above average anxiety-wise in life in general. On the road I tend to be faster than traffic around me, but on the highway the feeling of cars speeding by gives me this crazy anxiety of being surrounded, and, while my instinct is to go faster at the same time my comfort level is pretty much maxed out at the posted speed limit until I get a few km under my belt and my head stops racing. Typically five or so minutes into a highway ride I am right as rain and calm down into it. I still mostly maintain posted speed in the “slow” lane but I’m not trapped in my own head about worst case scenarios.

I’m perfectly at home up to 80kph on back country roads and I’ll even hit hwy 100+ on said roads with zero anxiety, but for some reason as soon as you replace back road with four lane highway where posted is 100 and everyone is doing 120+ my head does a loop.

E: I also think it’s just a matter of me riding hwy more. That’s one of my goals for 2021. Not being comfortable leads to not riding the highway which means I’m never actually developing the comfort and I’m anxious because the only time I’m on the highway is when I have no other choice. So this time I think my lazy saturday and sunday morning rides will be at least partially highway, if only to get out of town and take nice leisurely rides home.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 4, 2020

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

City freeway's scary as gently caress, I feel completely invisible even though I wear a high vis vest if I'm going that way, and it's obvious even when driving a car that most people don't look before lane changes etc. I pretty much stick to slow lane, speed limit or traffic speed, and trying not to do too much of it at once. Fortunately I don't have to go often, even though I'm a bit closer now. I can do highways and backroads all day at or above the posted limit, but 4 lanes of fast traffic just makes me real anxious.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Interesting; I'm much more comfortable on freeways/highways because there are no intersections.

If anything makes me nervous it's intersections. And parked cars. And driveways. At least on the freeway everyone's going in the same direction. And you can floor it a bit if there's space in front of you. Of course, once you get to that dense traffic that's still moving quickly but kind of packed in and tends to accordion-up and come to sudden halts, yeah. That poo poo sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The speed of freeways freaks people out but it’s the surface streets that’ll get you

On the highway everyone is going the same speed, the same direction, there is no cross traffic, no pedestrians, no intersections, no red lights, stop signs, or on coming traffic, little in the way of anything to mess you up.

Yeah it’s fast, but that doesn’t make it inherently dangerous.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t know about that. Kinetic energy increase exponentially with speed. So a crash at 80mph has 16x the energy to dissipate than at 20mph. Maybe you’re more likely to have that happen in a safe way because there’s no utility poles or intersections or whatever, but I do think a freeway is inherently more dangerous than a surface street. I wouldn’t be surprised if statistics don’t agree, but there may be a lot to read into it. Incidents per miles would skew heavily in favor of freeways for example.

Personally, city riding doesn’t bother me for the most part, but I also live and work in the city and am used to the traffic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nah, freeways are objectively less dangerous than surface streets for the reasons Jim Silly-Balls outlined. The crashes may have a lot more energy (20mph vs 80 is kind of specious, let's try 30 vs 70 for a better average) but they happen much less often. By far the most common motorcycle/car collision is the left-turning SMIDSY, and that simply can't happen on a highway. I bet if you took a survey of all the riders here and asked where they'd had their accidents/close calls, 90% would be on surface streets at less than 40mph.

That said, any road with other vehicles on it is more dangerous than an empty twisty one on the edge of a cliff, so you should always stick to the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yep, someone turning left in front of me at a green light that DSM.

I've had a couple relatively close calls on the highway but they're easy to see coming and avoid if you keep your eyes open. Like that MSF drawing.

Everyone's driving quickly on the highway but your closing speed should be smaller since everyone's going the same direction. Like emergency-landing your 172 on a street; you go with the flow of traffic so as to keep the closing speeds low.

Unless you're riding your bike on the highway at fantastic speeds, in which case watch your butt.