Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah as a former Jetta owner and person who's family all has golf's, it looks exactly like every other golf in the last decade.

Also the manual option is US only which seems odd? Do Europeans just not care?

same trend for manuals in porsches too

american 'enthusiasts' care more than euros is the trend I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The new BRZ will be unveiled on November 18th. I'm prepared for the inevitable mild disappointment.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/04/2022-subaru-brz-november-18-debut/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
F10 M5 was similar, manual only available in the US.

US enthusiasts tend to prefer manual transmissions, Euros seem to like high tech automated gearboxes. I think part of this is historic bias - Americans were used to buying 2 and 3 speed automatics bolted to big engines which were high torque and lazy, so we don't really associate them with high performance cars. Later on, economy cars came with crap autoboxes. Performance cars tended to come with manual transmissions because there was a huge performance gap. In Europe, all of the economy cars came with manual gearboxes forever, so there isn't any kind of sporting association.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

F10 M5 was similar, manual only available in the US.

US enthusiasts tend to prefer manual transmissions, Euros seem to like high tech automated gearboxes. I think part of this is historic bias - Americans were used to buying 2 and 3 speed automatics bolted to big engines which were high torque and lazy, so we don't really associate them with high performance cars. Later on, economy cars came with crap autoboxes. Performance cars tended to come with manual transmissions because there was a huge performance gap. In Europe, all of the economy cars came with manual gearboxes forever, so there isn't any kind of sporting association.

I wonder if it's also because Europeans are probably more likely to have only 1 car (which has to do it all) versus Americans.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bandire posted:

The new BRZ will be unveiled on November 18th. I'm prepared for the inevitable mild disappointment.

hope this finally tanks the price of first gen models, cant believe the price of these cars in 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

I wonder if it's also because Europeans are probably more likely to have only 1 car (which has to do it all) versus Americans.

but traditionally that one car has had a manual transmission

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Bandire posted:

Whats everyone thinking on how it will end up?
Im guessing 15hp bump and "suspension tuning"

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 4, 2020

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

drat it

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 4, 2020

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Franco Caution posted:

Im guessing 15hp bump.

There really hasn't been much substantive news here. They were apparently benchmarking it against an Ecoboost Mustang, so that led people to speculate they may put the Subaru turbo 4 in them this time. That's probably a pipedream though. I wouldn't bet against your guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Most of the most recent signs point to a NA FA24 with a mild bump in HP and torque.

If they keep the weight like the current gen, that could be pretty significant, especially if they got rid of the torque dip.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Most of the most recent signs point to a NA FA24 with a mild bump in HP and torque.

If they keep the weight like the current gen, that could be pretty significant, especially if they got rid of the torque dip.

New and improved model will have 2 torque dips

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I would have said the CO2 number first and foremost.

Which is exactly the same thing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

hope this finally tanks the price of first gen models, cant believe the price of these cars in 2020

The price is still good for what they are if you are chiefly interested in the driving dynamics but yeah hopefully everyone looks at the New Shiny Thing

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Franco Caution posted:

Im guessing 15hp bump and "suspension tuning"

A sticker package and a wing. Maybe a front bumper redesign if they're feeling daring.

I'm going to keep my expectations low on this one so I don't get disappointed.

e: Is Toyota even interested in a second gen 86? I can't imagine they would want it to compete with the 4 cylinder supra, so that one definitely isn't getting a serious hp boost.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 4, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

The price is still good for what they are if you are chiefly interested in the driving dynamics but yeah hopefully everyone looks at the New Shiny Thing

i mean the price for used ones is still hosed up, they need to drop. i still see a lot of them at 19k for 2013 models which is truly terrible car poo poo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean the price for used ones is still hosed up, they need to drop. i still see a lot of them at 19k for 2013 models which is truly terrible car poo poo

OK yeah that's certifiably hosed Up

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BraveUlysses posted:

Jesus, I thought you could find 86s for 10k or so by now?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The cheapest used FR-S closest to me is a 2013 model with 96k miles on it for $13,000.

Most of the ones with nearer to half the miles are between 16-18k for that vintage.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Here here we bring them in used from Japan the bottom of the market is around US$13k, although auto-heavy down that cheap.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Jesus, I thought you could find 86s for 10k or so by now?

Salvage title, maybe.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah that's one of the reasons I never even drove one when I was shopping. Every time i found one reasonably priced it had a rebuilt title, and there were lots of those.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Interesting: you can pick up a similar year GTI for $10k all day. Toyota resale!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Huh, I figured my Hyper Blue BRZ with 60k miles on it would have way worse resale value right now. Good to know!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It's a somewhat different kind of car, but you can get a 2012 5.0 Mustang for that nowadays.

Or a 2.3T, which is honestly a pretty decent car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, I could have gotten a pretty decent Mustang new for what I paid for my BRZ new.

But I wanted the BRZ.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A Golf R with more horsepowers and more rear bias is cool and good, it solves my problem with my current Golf R which is: it's quite good but everything I like about it could be incrementally improved.

Also I should have it back and no longer crunched in on the rear end next week! Who would've guessed I'd have an accident going too slow stopped at a crosswalk to allow a pedestrian to cross when someone rear-ended me? :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Bandire posted:

There really hasn't been much substantive news here. They were apparently benchmarking it against an Ecoboost Mustang, so that led people to speculate they may put the Subaru turbo 4 in them this time. That's probably a pipedream though. I wouldn't bet against your guess.

No way it's getting a turbo engine, it's against the ethos of what Toyota wanted to build with this and it doesn't get super terrible gas economy so no point. They should benchmark the ND2 miata instead.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If it didn't have that silly torque dip, far fewer people would accuse the GT-86 of having too little power.

Honestly Toyota knew what they were doing with the revvy engine, combined with ordinary premium segment tires instead of really sporty tires as OEM fitment. It's a sports car, not a race car.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

I mean, I could have gotten a pretty decent Mustang new for what I paid for my BRZ new.

But I wanted the BRZ.
BRZ was the only other car I test drove when I ended up buying the Mustang. I liked the BRZ for about 10 minutes, which is how long it took for me to walk across the street, ask for the Mustang test drive, and press engine start on the Coyote.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ilkhan posted:

BRZ was the only other car I test drove when I ended up buying the Mustang. I liked the BRZ for about 10 minutes, which is how long it took for me to walk across the street, ask for the Mustang test drive, and press engine start on the Coyote.

Are the transmission issues with the mustang an overblown internet meme?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

I never had any complaints about mine. It's not as slick as a Porsche stick, but it does the job nicely.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Russian Bear posted:

The 2nd gear syncro of the MT-82 isn't 100% up to the task. If you think about it as pre-broken in then it's fine. Like the Aisin transmissions, it's also incredibly picky on fluid type/brand.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

ilkhan posted:

I liked the BRZ for about 10 minutes, which is how long it took for me to walk across the street, ask for the Mustang test drive, and press engine start on the Coyote.

Back in the day I was waiting for the Mk7.5 Golf Rs to start trickling in to the dealerships. I went into a combo VW/Subaru dealership to get some more info on when they thought the Golf Rs might start showing up.
They had both a GTI and a BRZ there and I drove them back to back. We all have different opinions about we like or dislike in vehicles, so I say this as personal opinion vs making GBS threads on anyone who has or likes the BRZ/GT86:
I had really nothing to say positive about the BRZ when done outside of "Its a nice shade of Blue I guess."
I drove the BRZ for about 15 minutes. I took it back and drove the GTI much longer. I didnt mind that the GTI was FWD, if I was heading home with one or the other that day, I wouldnt have wasted a second thought on the BRZ.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Mostly I liked that it was a good bit cheaper than the mustang gt premium, and it was fun above the torque dip. But the Stang didn't have the torque dip and was always insanely fun.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Nohearum posted:

New and improved model will have 2 torque dips

The monkey's paw for me would be them fixing the torque dip but reducing the headroom so I don't fit in it any more :v:

Seriously though, if the new engine is at all decent I'm 99% sure the next car I buy will be a 2022 BRZ.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To each his own. After I test drove a BRZ, I couldn't wait to get back in one again and drive. I never had such a visceral reaction to a vehicle before, it just clicked. It was agonizing waiting a month and a half until one lined up that I wanted to purchase.

I like all the quality of life doo dads that my Golf R has and I prefer that on longer trips, but as long as it's not winter I'm going to prefer to drive the BRZ around.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've rented a 2021 Hyundai Kona, 1400km on it, while the Golf R is in the shop. So far my first reaction is... I don't hate it. I feel like if the transmission were less poo poo it would be much more pleasant to drive, but my lord that thing does not want to react quickly. I'm hoping "Sport Mode" will solve that somewhat, since I suspect it may just be a programming choice rather than an actual flaw with the transmission. Why it would be programmed to be slow as poo poo and awful is an open question, but I'm told people like that in the name of "smoothness" and "economy". Overall, as an appliance, I can see why people would buy this vehicle. It looks acceptable and it feels pretty nice to sit in and drive. Visibility is actually quite good all the way around. I'm not sure why, but it feels like there's less legroom than the Golf, which is perplexing to me because overall it feels much larger.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Everyone rags on the Toyobaru's interior but I always thought it looked cool, particularly the switches underneath the climate knobs. Never driven one, but a former coworker owned one that I rode shotgun in plenty. Great looks, lightweight but for the price point I just have a hard time swallowing it being a 4cyl :v: A big part of cars for me is the sound, so if I'm going to drive something impractical like a coupe it better sound good.

FBS posted:

Seriously though, if the new engine is at all decent I'm 99% sure the next car I buy will be a 2022 BRZ.

Any thought on the new Z? I guess we should wait until it's officially announced, instead of just the Proto model, but I think it seems solid. Probaby going to be a fair bit more expensive though, I guess. And not N/A :(

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Isnt the Proto basically just a clay model stuck on top of the 370z right now?
Im sure like the Frontier, everything will change a million times before its actually ever ready to officially be on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They've said it's quite close to production