Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
jeez that hullbreacher card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aranan posted:

I haven't played pauper since they banned gush and git probe. I don't regret that choice.

lmao delver is stronger now that it's turned into faeries, gush and probe probably wouldn't even be in the deck any more

And tribe was a bullshit combo that you couldnt interact with so gently caress that deck

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Silhouette posted:

lmao delver is stronger now that it's turned into faeries, gush and probe probably wouldn't even be in the deck any more

And tribe was a bullshit combo that you couldnt interact with so gently caress that deck

Blitz was a harmless bystander in this conflict and was taken from us too soon :sigh:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Silhouette posted:

You take that back or I’ll fight u.

I miss tribe so much.

Now I’m playing cycling storm in pauper and I have no regrets

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
A new Akroma was spoiled, didn't see it posted in here:

https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1324006199470161920?s=20

I love how they resorted to using "and so on". It makes sense, but I can just picture them thinking, "Look, I know we want a card that has every keyword on it ever, but there's only so much we can do without it looking like Bureaucracy."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That looks banging with rick from the walking dead. Both commanders have to have partner though right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Found my target for the new Sakashima.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

InterrupterJones posted:

I love how they resorted to using "and so on". It makes sense, but I can just picture them thinking, "Look, I know we want a card that has every keyword on it ever, but there's only so much we can do without it looking like Bureaucracy."
And they could have just said "each other creature you control get +1/+1 for each of the following keywords it has:" and saved even more space.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think they're forced not to use colons since that's how costs are syntaxed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
poo poo, yeah you're right. It could still be formatted like "...gets +1/+1 if it has flying; the same is true for deathtouch et al." and save more space, as well as following the syntax of other similar abilities.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

InterrupterJones posted:

it's missing landwalk, bands with others, flanking, and bushido. no sale.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The thing I wonder is, would it have been broken, or even materially different, if it just "for each keyword is has". A little less flavorful, but heck partner is on there.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Probably to avoid all the people who would misplay poo poo like threshold as a keyword.

A shame, because Akroma giving creatures +1/+1 for having Horsemanship would be great.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some Goon posted:

The thing I wonder is, would it have been broken, or even materially different, if it just "for each keyword is has". A little less flavorful, but heck partner is on there.

What's a keyword?

Once you can answer this in a way that is rather clear and unambiguous, you can use "keyword" in rules text.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Yeah, is Flashback or Kicker a keyword? Devoid? Mutate? Mill? Extort? it's not a simple distinction, and even if there was a rule that clarified what keywords were, it would still have to be a list in the comprehensive rules that says what abilities are "keywords."

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Infinite Karma posted:

Yeah, is Flashback or Kicker a keyword? Devoid? Mutate? Mill? Extort? it's not a simple distinction, and even if there was a rule that clarified what keywords were, it would still have to be a list in the comprehensive rules that says what abilities are "keywords."

This is the rule defining what keywords are, if you're curious (check 701 for keyword actions), and it does have a list of every single keyword ability.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tulul posted:

This is the rule defining what keywords are, if you're curious (check 701 for keyword actions), and it does have a list of every single keyword ability.
I guess my point was that the natural language of "combat-relevant keywords" that aren't actually shortcut descriptions isn't actually very natural and would just be a hand-picked list of abilities anyway.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
In a hypothetical Magic 2.0, digital-only move, or expecting that designers in the early 90's would have the foresight to do this, keywords would have been in bold or have some other signifier. Like Tribal, it's too many hurdles to overcome for what would be a nice addition to the game.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

I guess my point was that the natural language of "combat-relevant keywords" that aren't actually shortcut descriptions isn't actually very natural and would just be a hand-picked list of abilities anyway.

Didn't say "combat relevant". "Each keyword ability" works just fine in the rules and is much shorter. I don't think there's any loss for getting a buff for echo besides flavor, but I'm not sure, hence why I asked.

E: gameplay-wise. I'm sure it would be a nightmare trying to get people to accept what is and isn't a keyword ability at a table, even if it's spelled out in the rules.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 4, 2020

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
new conspiracy theory: wotc hates the implication of the word Pauper, so they make the format about avoiding being one (no pauper monarchs hehe)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Infinite Karma posted:

Ah yes, the combat relevance of Partner

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All of the cards like this new Akroma, Odric, etc. just saying "keyword ability" would be so much nicer and more elegant. It's a shame it'll never happen.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

This one was revealed with her and it seems pretty bonkers. Great for alpha striking and for protecting your board from wraths.

Akroma's Will {3}{W}
Instant

Choose one. If you control a commander as you cast this spell, you may choose both.

• Creatures you control gain flying, vigilance, and double strike until end of turn.

• Creatures you control gain lifelink, indestructible, and protection from all colors until end of turn.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

new conspiracy theory: wotc hates the implication of the word Pauper, so they make the format about avoiding being one (no pauper monarchs hehe)

This card was already in Pauper.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Framboise posted:

This card was already in Pauper.

rip

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

Ah yes, the combat relevance of Partner

Partner is a deckbuilding alteration, so I guess Rat Colony has a keyword and Tevesh Szat has two.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Partner is a deckbuilding alteration, so I guess Rat Colony has a keyword and Tevesh Szat has two.

???

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

All of the cards like this new Akroma, Odric, etc. just saying "keyword ability" would be so much nicer and more elegant. It's a shame it'll never happen.

The list of keyword abilities includes Equip, Cumulative Upkeep, and Aura Swap, along with nonpermanent ones like Epic and Buyback, so no go there.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The list of keyword abilities includes Equip, Cumulative Upkeep, and Aura Swap, along with nonpermanent ones like Epic and Buyback, so no go there.

Why does that matter though? "creatures gain each keyword ability that each other creature you control has" and "each creature you control gets +1/+1 for each keyword ability it has" don't break anything with that, because the ones that don't work on creatures would never be on creatures to affect that in the first place, and cumulative upkeep, phasing, etc. don't change anything if they're gained temporarily.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

read the card that spawned this discussion and count how many times the word "partner" appears on it, the answer may surprise you

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Shortest Path posted:

Why does that matter though? "creatures gain each keyword ability that each other creature you control has" and "each creature you control gets +1/+1 for each keyword ability it has" don't break anything with that, because the ones that don't work on creatures would never be on creatures to affect that in the first place, and cumulative upkeep, phasing, etc. don't change anything if they're gained temporarily.

It breaks a few things. Just play a guy with Cumulative Upkeep. Ordic, Lunar Marshall would pass that on to everyone, then thanks to Sphinx of the Second Sun there is an upkeep phase.

Now we have to pay Cumulative Upkeep on our creatures. What's the cost? Are they all instantly dead from no cumulative upkeep cost to be paid? Is it based on who gives it?

Echo? Fading and Vanishing? Then there's the feelbad of Ordic passing on Defender at the beginning of combat. Whoops!

What if Ordic gives every creature Enchant Creature? They'd die instantly due to state-based actions, I guess. Equip, what, an absent equip cost?

Things like Devoid and Changeling that are attribute-defining become relevant suddenly, too.

Then we have just confusing people, with ability words like Landfall and Adamant that have no rules meaning. Or Adapt or Monstrosity, which are not keyword abilities.

You create confusion and rules headaches and your upside is... a little future-proofing so Ordic gets Riot long after Riot could possibly happen?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

read the card that spawned this discussion and count how many times the word "partner" appears on it, the answer may surprise you

I lost count. :thinking:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

howdy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dumb deck idea: Akroma/Rograkh.

Is it effective? No. Is popping a 0-cost 4/5 you'll dump a bunch of equipments on to try and one-shot someone fun? Probably.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It breaks a few things. Just play a guy with Cumulative Upkeep. Ordic, Lunar Marshall would pass that on to everyone, then thanks to Sphinx of the Second Sun there is an upkeep phase.

Now we have to pay Cumulative Upkeep on our creatures. What's the cost? Are they all instantly dead from no cumulative upkeep cost to be paid? Is it based on who gives it?

Echo? Fading and Vanishing? Then there's the feelbad of Ordic passing on Defender at the beginning of combat. Whoops!

What if Ordic gives every creature Enchant Creature? They'd die instantly due to state-based actions, I guess. Equip, what, an absent equip cost?

Things like Devoid and Changeling that are attribute-defining become relevant suddenly, too.

Then we have just confusing people, with ability words like Landfall and Adamant that have no rules meaning. Or Adapt or Monstrosity, which are not keyword abilities.

You create confusion and rules headaches and your upside is... a little future-proofing so Ordic gets Riot long after Riot could possibly happen?

Giving out keyword abilities, like you've noted, doesn't work so well (ability words aren't keyword abilities either), but merely counting them like on Akroma doesn't have those concerns.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dias posted:

Is it effective? No. Is popping a 0-cost 4/5 you'll dump a bunch of equipments on to try and one-shot someone fun? Probably.

Partner combos should be made based on how much you'd like to watch a buddy action show starring them and Kobold being guided by a vengeful superangel sounds dope as hell.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm just waiting to explain how partners with is/isn't the same as partner.
Unlike bands with which is banding.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Dias posted:

Akroma, Sakashima, and helm of the host.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

This isn’t really a hard problem to solve if they wanted to, though.

Add a rule that defines a subset of keywords to work with these abilities. Call them “combat keywords” or something.

Then Akroma just says your creatures get +1/+1 for each combat keyword they have (plus partner), and the list in the rule can change to include future keywords where the card text can’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

That Akroma is a just a really sloppy design. It's not that exciting of an ability and it's a mess to put into legible rules.