Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Spooky thread of the dead.

Though I'm not sure who it is talking to Kate in the first one.

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1249364303586754561?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Spooky thread of the dead.

Though I'm not sure who it is talking to Kate in the first one.

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1249364303586754561?s=20

That one? Starlord, him and Kate were a thing for a series or two since every writer has to write their character dating Kate at least once.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That one? Starlord, him and Kate were a thing for a series or two since every writer has to write their character dating Kate at least once.

Bendis was able to do this with three different characters! Starlord, Spider-Man and kong (whose appearance is based on bendis)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m reading Uncanny X-Men from the beginning so I can be ready to start the second omnibus coming out at the end of the month, and wow there is some incredible melodrama right from the start:

He didn’t kill anyone there. He’s just having anxiety over the thought that he might kill someone at some point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Scott was rehearsing for drama class

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Only if they're named some version of Peter.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bobkatt013 posted:

Bendis was able to do this with three different characters! Starlord, Spider-Man and kong (whose appearance is based on bendis)
It was super weird when Bendis wrote his Self-Insert to discover his Self-Insert's secret identity and then he made his self-insert date his self-insert after his other self-insert broke up with the self-insert, and then his other self-insert commented on how weird it was that there was a love triangle between his three self-inserts, and his other other self-insert agreed, but his self-insert didn't even know this was all happening.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m reading Uncanny X-Men from the beginning so I can be ready to start the second omnibus coming out at the end of the month, and wow there is some incredible melodrama right from the start:

He didn’t kill anyone there. He’s just having anxiety over the thought that he might kill someone at some point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeajNpTLgrY

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
If there's a real case to be made that Kong is "based on" Bendis in any real way I haven't seen it, and believe me, I've looked. I think that especially early on there's no reason to believe that Bendis even had a particular interest in the character-- he begins as a fairly stock bully character who is largely there to cheer on Flash Thompson, and his name isn't even consistent for several years. He has little flashes of kindness or depth but for the first few years he's basically just a big dumb guy who's racist against mutants and small-minded and easily pushed around, so you know, maybe Bendis has that much self-loathing but I'm not convinced.

The ostensible physical similarity also feels thing. Here's Mark Bagley's Kong:

Let's see here. He's a bald guy who we could arguably say is white, with brown eyes. He's kind of overweight but more than that he's just big. He's towering over the other characters in this scene and has massive muscles on his arms. He's a jock and he's drawn like a jock, even if a somewhat burly jock. He also has thick, prominent eyebrows and a little pointy brown beard.

Here's an oldish photo of Bendis:

Brian Michael Bendis is bald, yeah, he's white and I guess he was on the heavier side in the aughts when USM was coming out. But he's not especially tall, he has (I think? It's hard to tell from photos) blue eyes, and his frame is kind of narrow. No facial hair, and his facial features don't especially resemble Kong's. He doesn't look much like Kong and he doesn't act much like Kong and he never seems to be especially attached to Kong although he certainly gives the guy some interesting things to do later on, much like he always seemed to be finding interesting things for his recurring characters to do.

So like-- what makes people think that he based Kong on himself other than that they're both bald and kind of large? Did anyone say this before the Kitty Pryde stuff?

It's always felt like saying, you know, "hosed up that Al Ewing keeps giving plum scenes to his self-insert Sasquatch, since they're both hairy men who aren't from the US."

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 2, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

So like-- what makes people think that he based Kong on himself other than that they're both bald and kind of large? Did anyone say this before the Kitty Pryde stuff?
I was around. People didn't. Kitty dating him was what pushed the idea to the forefront.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like what really gets me with this is 90% of the Kitty and Kong stuff is off-panel and never really addressed that much but I guess Terry Long broke a lot of people when it come to "this character dating this character is the writer's self-insert" thing.

It just feels like some comic fans want to make not liking a writer's work personal. Remember the days of people constantly talking poo poo about Jeph Loeb's son?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 2, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

If there's a real case to be made that Kong is "based on" Bendis in any real way I haven't seen it, and believe me, I've looked. I think that especially early on there's no reason to believe that Bendis even had a particular interest in the character-- he begins as a fairly stock bully character who is largely there to cheer on Flash Thompson, and his name isn't even consistent for several years. He has little flashes of kindness or depth but for the first few years he's basically just a big dumb guy who's racist against mutants and small-minded and easily pushed around, so you know, maybe Bendis has that much self-loathing but I'm not convinced.

The ostensible physical similarity also feels thing. Here's Mark Bagley's Kong:

Let's see here. He's a bald guy who we could arguably say is white, with brown eyes. He's kind of overweight but more than that he's just big. He's towering over the other characters in this scene and has massive muscles on his arms. He's a jock and he's drawn like a jock, even if a somewhat burly jock. He also has thick, prominent eyebrows and a little pointy brown beard.

Here's an oldish photo of Bendis:

Brian Michael Bendis is bald, yeah, he's white and I guess he was on the heavier side in the aughts when USM was coming out. But he's not especially tall, he has (I think? It's hard to tell from photos) blue eyes, and his frame is kind of narrow. No facial hair, and his facial features don't especially resemble Kong's. He doesn't look much like Kong and he doesn't act much like Kong and he never seems to be especially attached to Kong although he certainly gives the guy some interesting things to do later on, much like he always seemed to be finding interesting things for his recurring characters to do.

It's always felt like saying, you know, "hosed up that Al Ewing keeps giving plum scenes to his self-insert Sasquatch, since they're both hairy men who aren't from the US."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

How Wonderful! posted:

Thank you for actually addressing this with effort as opposed to my earlier snark. Bendis is short (like, *maybe* 5'6"?) and has blue eyes, for sure. He is also Jewish so that particular sequence you posted would be pretty wild to use your self-insert for.

I can almost see the argument for Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man being a self-insert, mainly in that it's the traditional Peter Parker except he uses more Yiddish phrases (something traditional Peter Parker does not do) and has a lot of cool girls into him (something traditional Peter Parker also has as a trait but hey). Plus it's the protagonist/center of the world and that seems to be the go-to spot for people to lament self-inserts.

I can also see some sort of "add the most prominent Jewish superhero into the supporting cast of a Spider-Man book where she never has appeared in the mainline stories" as something that a Mary-Sue-Crazy person would see as some form of "self-insert". At that point why not speculate that Genke (another chubby nerdy character Bendis invented who gets to be best pals with Spider-Man and have cool girls into him) is Bendis's self-insert? Miles Morales, the new Spider-Man who is like Peter Parker but with even more cool powers and who is explicitly inspired by Bendis's kids? SELF INSERT. Johnny Storm, the cool wisecracker he adds to the supporting cast because of nostalgia for some cartoon from Bendis's childhood? SELF INSERT. Making J. Jonah Jameson younger and handsomer and even more principled/supportive of Spider-Man? SELF-INSERT? Kingpin? SELF-INSERT. Jessica Drew? Geldoff? Oh you know they're self-inserts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don’t think many authors intentionally self-insert but every character is a bit of a self-insert since people generally characterize others through the lens of their experience.

I try not to to worry about it.

Although it is very funny how many different non-sequitur leads have been tossed at Kitty.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rick posted:

Although it is very funny how many different non-sequitur leads have been tossed at Kitty.

Comic writers love Kitty Pryde because when they started reading comics she was a 13 yr old ninja that wouldn't stop dropping n-bombs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really wish I enjoyed Hickman's exposition as much as Hickman does.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I really wish I enjoyed Hickman's exposition as much as Hickman does.

Yeah, They're also probably the least necessary thing to read for the event.

Marauders was good though. This is my favorite Storm writing since I'm not sure when.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I thought for sure after 11 issues of exposition in a 22 issues event they'd stop blue balling us and get to the big stupid sword fight but here we are at the end of 13.

Agreed that Marauders was at least fun and Storm is well written

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I thought for sure after 11 issues of exposition in a 22 issues event they'd stop blue balling us and get to the big stupid sword fight but here we are at the end of 13.

Agreed that Marauders was at least fun and Storm is well written

The non-Hickman issues had poo poo happen in them, and loving lol if you thought a 22 issue event about sword fights would have any important sword fights in the first half? Have you ever watched a martial arts film?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I don't mind that there's build up to the actual swordfights...but 12 issues of build up might be too much.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
All these guys in Marauders trying to ascertain each others' power levels and weaknesses was definitely very anime. It's great to watch Magik and Gorgon interact like that.

Logan was being an ornery lil' bitch, though. Gee Brian, why don't you just put out so we can all go home? Well...:raise:

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

I don't think this is going to eventuate in the big shonen tournament a lot of people seem to be expecting, and the fact they seem to be blowing through these issues without it kicking off makes me think it was misdirection from the beginning. Kind of terrified at what's going to come of this after Marauders 14.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

I don't mind that there's build up to the actual swordfights...but 12 issues of build up might be too much.

Actual poo poo happened in the non Hickman issues. If you like Wolverine stories Wolverine/X-Force is a pretty good one, Marauders has been about how Storm is an absolute boss. Excalibur did a lot to clarify everything and X of Swords: Stasis was a nice breather issue, they just then had a loving Hickman exposition dump right after which I think was a mistake. At the end of Stasis we knew the woman called Annihilation was the leader of these other mutants and Apocalypse's ex and that he didn't know what she'd become, we don't really need to know much more than that unless she's going to be a recurring character after the event, which I kind of doubt will happen.

Pogg Ur-Pogg will definitely outlive this event though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Magik Uh-Magik.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He BETTER

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Skwirl posted:

Open the door, get on the floor
Lovin' that chonky dinosaur

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
logan was being a whiny bitch even before war slipped him some murder roofies. i don't think hickman really gets him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

logan was being a whiny bitch even before war slipped him some murder roofies. i don't think hickman really gets him.

I'm not sure Hickman has written Wolverine since before this crossover started. Duggan wrote the issue of Marauders.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure Hickman has written Wolverine since before this crossover started. Duggan wrote the issue of Marauders.
Hickman wrote him in HOX/POX, there was that scene between him and Kurt. Also in Avengers, but I don't remember much of Wolverine from that run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So far none of the issues have really seemed *necessary* to the event. Like if you only read books you were reading coming in, you'd be fine. It's a big departure from Hickman's usual writing (granted, he's not writing it all). I've been enjoying most of it, though, so that's not really a complaint.

But yes, please more Pogg Ur-Pogg.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fritzler posted:

Hickman wrote him in HOX/POX, there was that scene between him and Kurt.

Also the stuff in Life 6 was great. And the Apocalypse life.

Honestly, if you wanted distilled Wolverine, you could do worse than HoXPoX.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Actual poo poo happened in the non Hickman issues. If you like Wolverine stories Wolverine/X-Force is a pretty good one, Marauders has been about how Storm is an absolute boss. Excalibur did a lot to clarify everything and X of Swords: Stasis was a nice breather issue, they just then had a loving Hickman exposition dump right after which I think was a mistake. At the end of Stasis we knew the woman called Annihilation was the leader of these other mutants and Apocalypse's ex and that he didn't know what she'd become, we don't really need to know much more than that unless she's going to be a recurring character after the event, which I kind of doubt will happen.

Krakoa is for ALL mutants.

Skwirl posted:

And Pogg Ur-Pogg.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I don't get the issue y'all have with Wolverine in Marauders.

He's right. If Brian could have ended this by tossing Saturnyne a bone, he should have. It's one thing to put X-Kids in danger when you can bring them back, or when there are no other options. But if all you need to do is cheat on your wife to save a bunch of children's lives? Yeah, pretty sure she'll understand.

Mind, I don't think that would have fixed things, but Brian didn't even make that argument when Logam confronted him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Adder Moray posted:

I don't get the issue y'all have with Wolverine in Marauders.

He's right. If Brian could have ended this by tossing Saturnyne a bone, he should have. It's one thing to put X-Kids in danger when you can bring them back, or when there are no other options. But if all you need to do is cheat on your wife to save a bunch of children's lives? Yeah, pretty sure she'll understand.

Mind, I don't think that would have fixed things, but Brian didn't even make that argument when Logam confronted him.

Flip the genders and think about how gross it seems. Brian shouldn't be coerced into nonconsensual sex and it would be a pretty crummy story if he was.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

How Wonderful! posted:

Flip the genders and think about how gross it seems. Brian shouldn't be coerced into nonconsensual sex and it would be a pretty crummy story if he was.

I don't disagree that it's gross (which is also not an argument that Brian or Betsy make) but it's no grosser than being coerced into death combat and bringing three kids along for the ride. It's not a resolution I would want as a reader, but Logan in-universe being pissed about it makes sense to me.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

There were not subtle hints earlier in the issue that Logan was gonna try and kill her anyway. And maybe I'm misinterpreting the art, but it looked like he never touched the food that War put something on.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

WaffleZombie posted:

There were not subtle hints earlier in the issue that Logan was gonna try and kill her anyway. And maybe I'm misinterpreting the art, but it looked like he never touched the food that War put something on.
I thought so as well. I think this is more likely the bargain/agreement he made with his competitor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I'm checked out of the hype. X of Swords is perfectly good but I'm disappointed.

And I'm not gonna change my mind when in like, a week or two there's a single issue-long fight between Magik and Pogg Ur-Pogg and everyone's going :jerkbag: "oooh omg what a badass fight this was totally worth the buildup." :jerkbag:

The issues themselves are fine, but Marauders felt like part 4 of a 22 issue tournament story, not part 13. If they really don't want to do the tournament, that's fine too... but don't advertise and hype up a tournament then.

It's not "breaking convention" or "surprising the audience" it just means the marketing department lied even more than usual. We're already invested in DoX, and most of us seemed hyped to get into some "dumb" anime-style fun the likes of which we haven't really seen from the X-Men. If that wasn't the intent, that's fine, but figure out what story you're telling and find the selling angle from that. It makes stories like this way more palatable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i'm enjoying it and love the text dump world building too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Soonmot posted:

i'm enjoying it and love the text dump world building too

Some of it's good, some of it's not. I actually quite liked this last issue of X-Men and feel like it rendered all of the previous worldbuilding-dumps kinda redundant.

Also did I miss something big, or what does Saturnyne wanting to bang Brian have to do with the whole "Arakko marches forth to reclaim Krakoa and kill everyone on earth" thing. I thought Saturnyne's only influence was that she turned it from an impending apocalyptic war into a tournament of champions, and like if Saturnyne hadn't intervened there would have been a massacre regardless.

But I'll admit to things often going over my head in stories like this. I definitely zoned out through a few parts, including most of the Excalibur issue. I remember Saturnyne wanting to nail Brian but I don't remember it actually meaning anything as part of the wider story.