Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Biden is going to be desperate to display bipartisanship and he's going to be bending over backwards to come up with legislation Mitch will pass. There's no Tea Party left to derail the next Grand Bargain so we'll have to hope the left has enough clout to stop it.

This first budget negotiation is going to be the hardest the Dems will ever roll. So money might get tight after that. They are probably going to slash medicaid and maybe SS long term (in the next 20 years). You will be rightfully hosed as your money will go towards funding a retirement plan for someone else and then the system will collapse before you ever get yours.

So just don't do anything stupid with your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Raskolnikov38 posted:

might i suggest starting a vanguard party?

gonna form a SA POSTREVCOM

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This first budget negotiation is going to be the hardest the Dems will ever roll. So money might get tight after that. They are probably going to slash medicaid and maybe SS long term (in the next 20 years). You will be rightfully hosed as your money will go towards funding a retirement plan for someone else and then the system will collapse before you ever get yours.

Is there a Paul Ryan-esque figure in congress right now who is the figurehead of privatizing SS? I could definitely see Biden agreeing to some semi-privatization reforms of SS in exchange for a budget or a $15 minimum wage or a hilariously pathetic, terrible and stripped down public option. Other than that, all of his legislative plans are literally gonna be dead on arrival.

mA fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 5, 2020

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

might i suggest starting a vanguard party?

Someone tried but then they started taking donations through ActBlue

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

mA posted:

Is there a Paul Ryan-esque figure in congress right now who is the figurehead of privatizing SS? I could definitely see Biden agreeing to some semi-privatization reforms of SS in exchange for a budget or a $15 minimum wage or a hilariously pathetic, terrible and stripped down of a public option. Other than that, all of his legislative plans are literally gonna be dead on arrival.

Dunno, but there is joe biden, noted man who bragged about trying to cut social security 4 times a decade or two ago. I guess you can hope his pudding brain made him forget he wanted to do that, but I'm sure one of the ghoulies in his cabinet would be happy to remind him of his past positions.

Anyways, his legislative plans are probably going to end up being whatever the republicans want. Mitch should be real excited at the prospect of passing some real horrible poo poo, and then having joe go up to the podium to crow "Hey look what I, President Joe Biden, just did, isn't bipartisanship neat?"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/business/status/1324080477163167748

Good. It should be. I know she's probably too entrenched at this point to overthrow, but Pelosi has managed to lose House seats in what should, by all accounts, have been a Democratic wave election against an incredibly unpopular incumbent. I hope at the very least people stop listening to her and insisting that she's really great at her job. She's not. She sucks at it.

I know Tim Ryan is supposedly more conservative than her, but right now I'm kind of wondering if he wouldn't be a step up. (this is, of course, assuming he were the only alternative; I'd love to see Speaker Barbara Lee, as would we all, I imagine)

One of the silver linings to the Dems losing seats is that we're rid of Donna Shalala, who has been worse than useless. I'm sorry Cheri Bustos is still around, though.

e: \/\/\/

Epic High Five posted:

Just checking back in after bailing last night and how is Biden not declared the winner yet? Are the moron press idiots shilling for him suddenly getting cold feet?

Nah, it's the states. They keep taking long-rear end breaks. Biden's almost certainly going to take PA, AZ, and NV at this point, since the rest of the votes are from areas that favor him, and he has a good chance of taking GA as well. But we won't know this for sure until tomorrow for some of them, and Friday, I guess, for the rest, because, again - states need their nappy-naps.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 5, 2020

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just checking back in after bailing last night and how is Biden not declared the winner yet? Are the moron press idiots shilling for him suddenly getting cold feet?

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1324080477163167748

Good. It should be. I know she's probably too entrenched at this point to overthrow, but Pelosi has managed to lose House seats in what should, by all accounts, have been a Democratic wave election against an incredibly unpopular incumbent. I hope at the very least people stop listening to her and insisting that she's really great at her job. She's not. She sucks at it.

I know Tim Ryan is supposedly more conservative than her, but right now I'm kind of wondering if he wouldn't be a step up. (this is, of course, assuming he were the only alternative; I'd love to see Speaker Barbara Lee, as would we all, I imagine)

One of the silver linings to the Dems losing seats is that we're rid of Donna Shalala, who has been worse than useless. I'm sorry Cheri Bustos is still around, though.

e: \/\/\/

Nah, it's the states. They keep taking long-rear end breaks. Biden's almost certainly going to take PA, AZ, and NV at this point, since the rest of the votes are from areas that favor him, and he has a good chance of taking GA as well. But we won't know this for sure until tomorrow for some of them, and Friday, I guess, for the rest, because, again - states need their nappy-naps.

Speaking of her

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1323828778666176512

So much for retiring in 2022, huh. vvvv Whoops, I forgot how elections work. She still shouldnt be speaker, though.

ColonelMuttonchops fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 5, 2020

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don’t particularly believe Pelosi when she says she’ll retire in 2022 but how does this contradict that, exactly?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Epic High Five posted:

I know there's more to it than this, but I imagine the news media loves dragging things like this out for as long as they can for ratings. As long as the country is still uncertain, they'll keep their eyeballs glued to the screen. Elections like these only happen every four years and this one is especially contentious. The longer they can keep it going, the more money from ad space they get.

Again, there's more to it than that, but it is true that cable network news has a financial interest in keeping people guessing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Speaking of her

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1323828778666176512

So much for retiring in 2022, huh. vvvv Whoops, I forgot how elections work. She still shouldnt be speaker, though.

Yeah, this is someone who clearly understands how badly she hosed up this time around, and I'm sure she'll get right on fixing it once we give her the keys to the car one more time.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Majorian posted:

Yeah, this is someone who clearly understands how badly she hosed up this time around, and I'm sure she'll get right on fixing it once we give her the keys to the car one more time.

Hey now, it wouldn't be sporting to take into account literally anything except the most recent sentence she's completed on tv, give people a chance to change and grow!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Haha what money!?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DandyLion posted:

Haha what money!?

Yeah seriously I have 90$ in my account after rent and I basically live on Ramen lol I'll make sure to invest wisely.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Majorian posted:

I know she's probably too entrenched at this point to overthrow, but Pelosi has managed to lose House seats in what should, by all accounts, have been a Democratic wave election against an incredibly unpopular incumbent. I hope at the very least people stop listening to her and insisting that she's really great at her job. She's not. She sucks at it.
Uh, excuse me, did you not see her epic clapback at Trump's state of the union address? How about her epic shade in those shades and that red dress?

Traveler
Sep 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/latifnasser/status/1323334035066642432?s=19

Good twitter thread on the Southern Black Belt

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Hey now, it wouldn't be sporting to take into account literally anything except the most recent sentence she's completed on tv, give people a chance to change and grow!

Object permanence just means you’re biased by “past behavior” and “facts” and “trends.” A truly enlightened observer of politics will ignore all of those sources of bias, and instead judges politicians in isolation from their contemporaries, past actions, the effects of their decisions, past statements, or associates.

The West Wing teaches us that only when politics is reduced to frictionless spheres can we truly observe politics: the complex and nuanced meritocratic maneuvering for political capital and decorum among one’s prestigious colleagues. :hmmyes:

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
There is a pathological need within the democratic apparatus to explain away their fundamental misconceptions about the electorate and the role race plays in the political sphere, and they seem to have whittled down the talking points from yesterday's morass of half-formed Race Realist theories and musings on the hispanic male and his inborn love of dictatorial machismo.
https://twitter.com/DrJasonJohnson/status/1323927946877374466
It's no less vile, mind, but it's what they're going to go with. Mark my words, there's going to be an entire genre of op-ed in the next few months explaining what a White Hispanic is and why this totally new, never before heard of demographic we swear please don't google it is why Biden didn't run away with the latinx vote. It's not going to be good.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Malleum posted:

There is a pathological need within the democratic apparatus to explain away their fundamental misconceptions about the electorate and the role race plays in the political sphere, and they seem to have whittled down the talking points from yesterday's morass of half-formed Race Realist theories and musings on the hispanic male and his inborn love of dictatorial machismo.
It's no less vile, mind, but it's what they're going to go with. Mark my words, there's going to be an entire genre of op-ed in the next few months explaining what a White Hispanic is and why this totally new, never before heard of demographic we swear please don't google it is why Biden didn't run away with the latinx vote. It's not going to be good.

These people have to explain why these people were there for Hillary and not for Biden, but if this anything like "black people support Biden if you pretend young black people are unicorns" then we're not going to have that nuanced of a conversation.

I don't even know how to talk to liberals anymore, they live in an alternate universe with alternative facts and it's way less fun than the Republicans because there's less acid involved and it reads like a bad Tom Clancy novel.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Probably Magic posted:

These people have to explain why these people were there for Hillary and not for Biden, but if this anything like "black people support Biden if you pretend young black people are unicorns" then we're not going to have that nuanced of a conversation.

I don't even know how to talk to liberals anymore, they live in an alternate universe with alternative facts and it's way less fun than the Republicans because there's less acid involved and it reads like a bad Tom Clancy novel.

You don't talk to them. These are not reconcilable differences.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JebBush/status/1324168561582055426?s=19

Good grief.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

So are we pretending that that one time Bernie Sanders went on fox news and had them cheering for Medicare for all didn't happen?

I'm convinced this was the first domino that ended with Democrats deciding it was better to lose the general than win with Bernie.

If he'd run, and made meaningful progress and inroads across party lines, it calls attention to how the Dems were actually why better things weren't possible all along

They brought Obama out of torpor for this. It was a big deal.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
One of the great ironies of AOC's meteoric rise (and to our great detriment wrt getting rid of pelosi) is that the dem stalwart she unseated was pelosi's chosen successor who she was trying to hand over power and the speakership to.

Pelosi being pelosi has apparently decided that the proper response is to spitefully hold onto power

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Just doing what's in her class interest.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Malleum posted:

boy howdy can I not wait until the democrats pivot to goddamn phrenology

class-based analysis? whats that?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1324158015533142016?s=20

Imagining who would qualify as "more moderate" than what Biden already had in mind for the cabinet and have concluded that he's just going to name Republicans to every post.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

he's just going to name Republicans to every post.

Yeah, but that's his starting position.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/EamonJavers/status/1324158015533142016?s=20

Imagining who would qualify as "more moderate" than what Biden already had in mind for the cabinet and have concluded that he's just going to name Republicans to every post.

Just make everyone acting you dumb fucks god I hate Biden

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Probably Magic posted:

They don't, really, because the point is to cover their rear end and not to actually reckon with the reality that they failed utterly. Because Biden is The Great Uniter and can only ever be failed, there has to be some flaw in the electorate - there's no way that the party they've invested so much of their own identities in could ever have made an irreparable mistake.

Look at that tweet that's doing the rounds about Flint going red and how the poster hopes they never have drinkable water because of it. These people aren't interested in anything but catharsis, and want nothing more than a target to point at, and luckily for them there's an entire industry that's ready and waiting to provide them one.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Just how about he don't rock the ship anymore and keep Trump's cabinet

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Secretary of Homeland Security Richard Spencer.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

:siren:Leftist thread is up :siren:

If you're tired from watching the horse-race, take a look.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946780

Edit: the OP is very long.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 5, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

One of the great ironies of AOC's meteoric rise (and to our great detriment wrt getting rid of pelosi) is that the dem stalwart she unseated was pelosi's chosen successor who she was trying to hand over power and the speakership to.

Pelosi being pelosi has apparently decided that the proper response is to spitefully hold onto power

Honestly it really doesn't get held against Pelosi nearly enough that Crowley's little wretched rear end was her chosen successor

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Honestly it really doesn't get held against Pelosi nearly enough that Crowley's little wretched rear end was her chosen successor

My god, it tickles my taint to think about all the poo poo Crowley must be eating after each consecutive failure to remove AOC.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

Now imagine this story every week for the next four years.

Enjoy! :toot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

But we have to restore the norms! THE NORMS!!!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Thanks for this! Good read.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malleum posted:

no, no, you're not getting it, the savage brutality of the swarthy mexican means that he would never, ever vote correctly and if we translated things into the devil's tongue they would just ignore them because they're too busy beating their wives as their genetic destiny demands
https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1323995898993647623

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hahaha what the gently caress Paine Mainframe, this poster gets a week for quoting a screenshot of a post from something awful? Because they were grossed out by 7HBs weird racist tirade in the other GE thread? You’ve got some odd fuckin priorities right now.

Good job closing ranks, you shouldn’t be a mod. :nono:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My god, it tickles my taint to think about all the poo poo Crowley must be eating after each consecutive failure to remove AOC.

it would be a lot sweeter if we weren't still stuck with pelosi