Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Comrayn posted:

The Lincoln Project. What an insanely successful scam holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1324023897801543680?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sleepy Joe went to bed on election night and then Trump declared victory

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

swish

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Who was the cspam goon who ran for some office about two or three years ago, in Texas maybe

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
Fleet Foxes wrote one of the best albums ever to be recorded after being inspired by the 2016 defeat of presidential candidate Hillary Clinton

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
the media stating loudly and repeatedly that the polling and predicting errors of 2016 were a fluke and wouldn’t be repeated

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The AP just called Michigan for blue. Trump has to flip Nevada to win, now. I am bracing myself for a torrent of tweets and whining from the sloppy wet presidential boy. At least until Michigan mysteriously finds 30,000 additional votes with Tmpru’s name on them during a recount.

I know this isn’t something I just remembered, but this thread is way less awful than any of the general politics threads or election threads.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The AP just called Michigan for blue. Trump has to flip Nevada to win, now. I am bracing myself for a torrent of tweets and whining from the sloppy wet presidential boy. At least until Michigan mysteriously finds 30,000 additional votes with Tmpru’s name on them during a recount.

I know this isn’t something I just remembered, but this thread is way less awful than any of the general politics threads or election threads.

Are you sure about MI?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1324108200141082624

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I’m not sure about anything in 2020.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid posted:

Who was the cspam goon who ran for some office about two or three years ago, in Texas maybe

I remembered. It was forums user slouch, thread here —> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843493

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

Amy McGrath

Amy McGraft

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“known” is doing a lot of work there.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

All this, and Andy Rooney.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Amy McGrath

Bloodbath McGrath

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People bemoaning, for decades, how low voter turnout is in America.

2020 had the highest turnout since 1900, and guess what? That didn’t make things better.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Platystemon posted:

People bemoaning, for decades, how low voter turnout is in America.

2020 had the highest turnout since 1900, and guess what? That didn’t make things better.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Donald Trump is the son of Christ.

going by his father's middle name

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

lol at twitter's weak rear end hedging disclaimer "official sources may not have called the race when this was tweeted"

either they had or they hadn't

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol at twitter's weak rear end hedging disclaimer "official sources may not have called the race when this was tweeted"

either they had or they hadn't

"official sources" just means major media outlets anyway, even in a blowout the election isn't "official" for weeks.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

more falafel please posted:

"official sources" just means major media outlets anyway, even in a blowout the election isn't "official" for weeks.

it's not official until the electoral college actually votes. all the electors could just vote for whoever they want regardless of any vote. they could all make me president who knows 2020 bay-be

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pardot posted:

it's not official until the electoral college actually votes. all the electors could just vote for whoever they want regardless of any vote. they could all make me president who knows 2020 bay-be

wikipedia, so grain of salt and all that:

"As of 2020, 33 states plus the District of Columbia have laws against faithless electors, though the laws in half of these jurisdictions have no enforcement mechanism.[8] Washington became the first state to fine faithless electors after the 2016 election in the wake of that state having 4 faithless elector votes. In lieu of penalizing a faithless elector, some states such as Colorado, Michigan, and Minnesota specify a faithless elector's vote be voided.[9] Colorado was the first state to void an elector's attempted faithless vote during the 2016 electoral college vote. Minnesota also invoked this law for the first time in 2016 when an elector pledged to Hillary Clinton attempted to vote for Bernie Sanders instead.[10] Until 2008, Minnesota's electors cast secret ballots. Although the final count would reveal the occurrence of faithless votes (except in the unlikely case of two or more changes canceling out), it was impossible to determine which elector(s) were faithless. After an unknown elector was faithless in 2004, Minnesota amended its law to require public balloting of the electors' votes and invalidate any vote cast for someone other than the candidate to whom the elector was pledged.[11]"

tl;dr: less than half the states have enforceable rules against faithless electors

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it would be incredibly funny if the mechanism that was supposed to avoid a Trump first term would instead give us a Trump second term because Biden's EC margin is razor-thin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

more falafel please posted:

yeah so they hadn't

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Filthy Hans posted:

wikipedia, so grain of salt and all that:

"As of 2020, 33 states plus the District of Columbia have laws against faithless electors, though the laws in half of these jurisdictions have no enforcement mechanism.[8] Washington became the first state to fine faithless electors after the 2016 election in the wake of that state having 4 faithless elector votes. In lieu of penalizing a faithless elector, some states such as Colorado, Michigan, and Minnesota specify a faithless elector's vote be voided.[9] Colorado was the first state to void an elector's attempted faithless vote during the 2016 electoral college vote. Minnesota also invoked this law for the first time in 2016 when an elector pledged to Hillary Clinton attempted to vote for Bernie Sanders instead.[10] Until 2008, Minnesota's electors cast secret ballots. Although the final count would reveal the occurrence of faithless votes (except in the unlikely case of two or more changes canceling out), it was impossible to determine which elector(s) were faithless. After an unknown elector was faithless in 2004, Minnesota amended its law to require public balloting of the electors' votes and invalidate any vote cast for someone other than the candidate to whom the elector was pledged.[11]"

tl;dr: less than half the states have enforceable rules against faithless electors

this is always brought up as a doomsday scenario but it’s baked in to the concept of the electoral college. when you win the state, the state party gets to send its electoral voters. you’d need someone high enough in the party ranks (i.e. decorum hounds) to make it to the point where the party would pick them as an elector, and then you’d need that person to somehow dislike their own candidate enough to vote for someone else. possible with a perceived outsider taking over the party (trump, bernie), not so much with an incumbent or Company Man Joe Biden

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Declan MacManus posted:

this is always brought up as a doomsday scenario but it’s baked in to the concept of the electoral college. when you win the state, the state party gets to send its electoral voters. you’d need someone high enough in the party ranks (i.e. decorum hounds) to make it to the point where the party would pick them as an elector, and then you’d need that person to somehow dislike their own candidate enough to vote for someone else. possible with a perceived outsider taking over the party (trump, bernie), not so much with an incumbent or Company Man Joe Biden

it happened successfully 7 times and unsuccessfully 3 times in 2016

it didn't really matter since Clinton got shlonged bigly

those were inconsequential stunt votes, if that race were closer I doubt all of those unfaithful electors would have pulled that poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Filthy Hans posted:

shlonged bigly

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
it would be really funny if it ended 270-268, but then one Biden elector misunderstood the rules and thought they could cast a stunt vote for someone else

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Zoran posted:

it would be really funny if it ended 270-268, but then one Biden elector misunderstood the rules and thought they could cast a stunt vote for someone else

Imagine the Kevin Costner movie "swing vote" but at the end he writes in bernie sanders

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
just remembered the swift boat veterans for truth

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they're called scare quotes and it's really funny to use them on "literacy"

I just realised it's almost literally "Ignorance is Strength".

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Pence trying to look tough at the dmz while trump saluted NK Officers

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
saluting and bowing to anyone as a US politician these days

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i was thinking about john kerry earlier and now am thinking about the very funny john edwards

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
John “I’ve never told anyone this” Edwards, or John “loving anything with a pulse while my wife dies” Edwards

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
All of them. All the Johns Edward.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

He's pretty lol but also seems like a SNL or 30 Rock character.

LIFE IMITAMATES ARTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
you're forgetting john "$400 haircuts" edwards